test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #48 Discussion Thread

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited September 2013 in Ten Forward
Literary Challenge #48 : The Long Road
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #48 : The Long Road.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Question: Can more than one ship be involved in the entry? I have an Idea, but wanted to confirm first.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's been a long road, getting from there to here...

Ick. /10char

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2013
    Question: Can more than one ship be involved in the entry? I have an Idea, but wanted to confirm first.

Absolutely :) As stated in the rules: The background story, questions I ask, and format requested are only to serve as a platform that you can start your writing from. Feel free to change up the back-story or the way you deliver, as long as the entry stays on topic of the original challenge.
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Ick. /10char

:P

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Interesting challenge.

I'll see if I can come up with anything, and look forward to what everyone else writes. :cool:
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hmm, I've already covered the events following the Valkyrie's engagement in the Moab system, and feel that to show Captain Palmer's immediate after action report would be lacking in resonance, as the fallout from that mission has been covered and moved on from, so might read as hollow... The Vanguard can take considerably more of a pounding, so I can't see it getting trounced quite so soon... I'm going to have to give this challenge some serious thought...
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,389 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow, this is going to take some thought. I hope I can come up with an idea before the challenge expires...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm kind of debating the time frame I want to write for this one...I'm not so sure it'll be "present day."

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok...popped up another chapter of the crew of the Bonaventure...back when they were the crew of the Yorktown.

Enjoy, and as always, feedback is most appreciated!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,389 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    @jonnaroslyn - now I want to know about the sparkles, and about the incident itself. Was the admiral the one with the cracked helmet? Were the color changes due to hypoxia as her air leaked out, was it something the sparkles did, or was it something else? How did sparkles overload a plasma conduit? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

@icegavel - good story. Technical points: It reads easier if you put a paragraph break every time the speaker changes in a conversation. Keeping track of who's saying what in a single paragraph can get confusing. Also, a few redundancies - for instance, when the admiral says, "Put it on the main screen," it isn't necessary to note, "...it was done." We assume that a trained Starfleet crew follows basic instructions. You can, if you'd like, note what sort of image has just appeared - that gives a nice transition, as well as an excuse to describe the image you have in your head.

Your characterization, OTOH, was good. Once I worked out who was who in those conversations, they did indeed have their own voices.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonnaroslynjonnaroslyn Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    @jonnaroslyn - now I want to know about the sparkles, and about the incident itself. Was the admiral the one with the cracked helmet? Were the color changes due to hypoxia as her air leaked out, was it something the sparkles did, or was it something else? How did sparkles overload a plasma conduit? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

Sshhh, you're asking too many questions, it's classified! ;) But nope, it wasn't her helmet, it belonged to the crewman whose death Corspa feels guilty about. The colours were caused by the sparkles, if you want, and the overload too.
    But to be quite honest, I haven't really put that much thought into the incident itself. I was more interested in how the crew (or at least the senior officers) deal with the aftermath of a mission where in the end you're torn between being happy and amazed at what you've got out of it, and mourning the friends and colleagues that you've lost.

I'll take your questions as a sign that I did a half-way decent job with it, though :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @ everyone: fantastic entries, and great to see new contributors :cool:
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is a good opportunity to go back a little ways and put out a story that i wouldn't mind getting out there.
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Egad...for once I know EXACTLY what I'm going to write! Hopefully, I'll get it written sometime this week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rextorvan36rextorvan36 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    did my part. Still need to get the finish in order though, so there will be more.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Egad...for once I know EXACTLY what I'm going to write! Hopefully, I'll get it written sometime this week.

Same here, i used this to tell an older story, though for once, even though it was asked, i didn't do it in the narrative of telling a report. Either way, my entry is up, so hopefully it's acceptable.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There is a story I have been wanting to tell for a long time. That time is now.

It is a very long story. It may take a while to write. But write it I shall.

Note that events have happened between this story and the last one, so there have been some crew changes. I will eventually get to writting those stories too.

HOLY TRIBBLE DUDE! You put a Wraith loose on your ship? That story needs to continue!

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    There is a story I have been wanting to tell for a long time. That time is now.

It is a very long story. It may take a while to write. But write it I shall.

Note that events have happened between this story and the last one, so there have been some crew changes. I will eventually get to writting those stories too.

HOLY TRIBBLE DUDE! You put a Wraith loose on your ship? That story needs to continue!

I'm going to assume we're thinking about the same type of Wraith, and note that my younger brother actually made a costume that vaguely resembles a male Wraith using the Federation alien generator.

Now that the KDF and Romulans can also have off-duty robes, it can be transferred to those factions. :D

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I mentioned, somewhere in the last discussion thread, toying with the idea of writing a longer, multi-post piece, in the tradition of some of the other writers around here.

I got around to writing an introduction for one of the main characters, and it rather fits the theme of this challenge - indeed, actually uses the phrase "long, strange road" at one point. So, what the heck, I'm putting it up.

(And I see it has some elements in common with @jonsills's entry... well, there are lots worse people to have elements in common with!)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hmmm...
    I was also contemplating a dual time-frame story for this entry. Back to the drawing board...
  • Options
    jonnaroslynjonnaroslyn Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    @shevet: Oh my word, that was amazing! Really, really great read, absolutely loved it! The characters were great, and they all had their own distinct voices and personalities, which can be difficult in such a short piece! The premise was really interesting, too, and I liked how you framed it with the present day and jumps into the past. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    I'm going to assume we're thinking about the same type of Wraith, and note that my younger brother actually made a costume that vaguely resembles a male Wraith using the Federation alien generator.

Well technically i already have been writing more about him, he's my main toon in the game. This was just me going back and telling how he came to be onboard the ship. I haven't seen a whole lot of SG:A, to know about their wraith.... unless you're talking about a different kind from that, in which case then i'm completely lost.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Atlantis Wraith is indeed what I was thinking of. The genetic experiment about the subdermal poison gland is what made me think that (Atlantis Wraith suck life force out of their victems via touch, so though different details, similar enough to make a connection with the name).

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Atlantis Wraith is indeed what I was thinking of. The genetic experiment about the subdermal poison gland is what made me think that (Atlantis Wraith suck life force out of their victems via touch, so though different details, similar enough to make a connection with the name).

I might have to go back and what that now, the only one ive seen was part of the one with Trip from enterprize
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Posted mine.

I'd like any responses I get, as well as helpful criticism.

I hope it opens a new side to my character.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Very nice, Shevet. :)

The story of how Ronnie got liberated without any outside assistance would definitely be an interesting one...seems like there's something there.

Her reaction to assimilation and the irreversible aspects of her Borgification reminds me of my own Admiral N'Riuw, who in my take on the STO universe is one of the lead figures in Task Force Omega. N'Riuw lives hard, parties hard, and drinks hard, perhaps as a way of giving the Borg the middle finger. He's very much on the edge of spinning out of control...an adrenaline junkie because the rush proves he can feel.

Is there something similar going on in Ronnie, maybe?

Grau and N'Riuw would be a scary combination for any bar that managed to contain both of them at the same time, for sure. ;)

One question for you guys...I've done some looking, and does anyone have any specific information on what was going on in the STO universe in Cardassian space from the years 2400-2407? I am toying with the idea of writing a story about Alyosha when he was the XO of the Avandar.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    arxebluarxeblu Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My entry now posted, I dreadfully wait for the merciless hammer of critcism to come down on me... ;)

Seriously, I just decided to leave the X'es of the background story in place, a secret mission and a worried relative trying to fill those gaps.

Hope you enjoy it and I'm open for any constructive hints.
  • Options
    rextorvan36rextorvan36 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Other then one little spelling error, I very much like the way you looked at this challenge, Arxeblu.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    Very nice, Shevet. :)

The story of how Ronnie got liberated without any outside assistance would definitely be an interesting one...seems like there's something there.

Her reaction to assimilation and the irreversible aspects of her Borgification reminds me of my own Admiral N'Riuw, who in my take on the STO universe is one of the lead figures in Task Force Omega. N'Riuw lives hard, parties hard, and drinks hard, perhaps as a way of giving the Borg the middle finger. He's very much on the edge of spinning out of control...an adrenaline junkie because the rush proves he can feel.

Is there something similar going on in Ronnie, maybe?

Grau and N'Riuw would be a scary combination for any bar that managed to contain both of them at the same time, for sure. ;)

One question for you guys...I've done some looking, and does anyone have any specific information on what was going on in the STO universe in Cardassian space from the years 2400-2407? I am toying with the idea of writing a story about Alyosha when he was the XO of the Avandar.
    No idea, but I really like the sound of this concept, and will look forward to reading the entry, and moar Teeglar :cool: