Install Arc
Options

Downloading Arc

Comments

• Options
    captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sto is the only PWE game that i play or have any interest in
    i have no interest in bloatware or downloading another launcher that steals system resources behind the scenes and makes my system more vulnerable just so they can advertise to me.

the day ARC becomes mandatory is the day that i walk away from STO
    as much as i like star trek.... theres plenty of other fish in the sea
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • Options
    bmdefiant2069bmdefiant2069 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You can erase it. I did, and everything works.

Go to control panel, then program and features and choose uninstall.

I did try to out, but found it to be a total waste of data. I kept getting the suspicion that it was watching me, gathering info. Most likely about my gaming habits while playing STO. Just my theory. Nothing more.

But, a couple of clicks, and gone. =3
    And yes, I ran a scan. I always er on the side of caution, just to make sure are program is gone.

Mind you if it becomes a " must have " to have to to play PW games, then I'll have to leave.
    I left games who started using Facebook to log in, and I'll leave here if ARC is the main client.

Cheers for that info..didnt know you could uninstall it. It's a waste of data and memory..
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    synobius wrote: »
    I have a question and not sure if this is the right place. I now this is going to sound saft but what is ARC? I've looked on the offcial page and its not very clear. Is it like Steam but for only Perfect World games. If so as an existing STO user, can I down load the ARC thing and help out with the testing.
    Sorry if this in the wrong place.

I suggest that you read the thread before 'volunteering' as this is no test. ARC is here and it isn't wanted by many players.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    synobiussynobius Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I did "read" the thread. They are after people who already play STO to use ARC and see how it functions. Only "new" starters will "have" to use it.
  • Options
    bimanthabimantha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I did "read" the thread. They are after people who already play STO to use ARC and see how it functions. Only "new" starters will "have" to use it.

Actually not just new users, anyone that tries to download/re download STO is now forced to use Arc to install it, unless they use steam. There is no longer any form of stand alone installer/launcher.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am SO happy that I bought the box back when it was in stores... never have to use that thing :D
    Sure... patching will be a loooooong story but that is only a minor inconvenience when seeing the alternative ;)
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They are after people who already play STO to use ARC and see how it functions.

Trying to wrap my brain around that logic.

A launcher designed specifically for PWE games is going to improve our Star Trek Online or Champions Online experience?

How?
    So we can hotswap from STO to CO without entering a password?

And for this, we are installing 10Gigabytes of a Steam clone?

You may as well just bite the bullet and install Steam instead.
    It will serve you better in the long run.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    mspfuelermspfueler Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My 2 cents worth.

Was a subscriber for 7 months when the game first came out. Got bored. Quit. Came back when it went FTP, and have been playing ever since. Even came in from the cold and bought some Zen a month ago. 1st time I've spent a dime on this game since I was a subscriber.

Part of a good sized fleet. 300 players +. Lvl 16 Starbase. Embassy is done and almost to T2 on the Dili mine.

We're a bunch of serious players from around the world. I personally have aquired almost 4 million Fleet Credits spread across 4 toons.

Listening to our fleet chat, this is universally hailed as an incredibly stupid thing to do. Our fleet leader is ready to walk away from the game. Forcing additional software on players? Software that will not enhance the game play of STO in any way!

Good gravy Marie Cryptic and PWE! I hope you people are listening. I'm the kind of player you want. Middle aged, disposable income and willing to spend $$ on the game. Now your marketing genius is going to force me to install software/bloatware/spyware I don't want, to be able to play the game I'm already spending money on?

Wow. Just wow. Oh well, it's been fun. Time to take my money and find somewhere else to spend it.

Is this a clear enough message PWE?
    Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• Options
    drasymdrasym Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Bothers me quite a bit that 90% of the questions posted in the previous posts where either 'danced around' or outright ignored by the 'informative' blog. Skimmed over most of the posts so pardon me if this point was stated before and i just missed it but; in ADDITION to previous concerns, I would like to clarify a "feature" of this proposed bloatware.

As I understand one of the 'features' of this launcher is that you can swap from game to game without bothering to re enter passwords? If true, what safeguards are in place to protect said passwords considering the same program opens a live conduit to the internet? Would seem to me to be a huge security risk. What safeguards are in place to prevent someone from using the internet connection forced upon us by this new software to collect our account information? Especially considering the "ease of purchasing Zen" feature would undoubtedly retain any credit card information entered?

Please understand, unlike some I was not immediately adverse to a unified launcher; however the more questions that are dodged or outright ignored, the more uneasy I become. Would appreciate a straightforward answer.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    drasym wrote: »
    Bothers me quite a bit that 90% of the questions posted in the previous posts where either 'danced around' or outright ignored by the 'informative' blog. Skimmed over most of the posts so pardon me if this point was stated before and i just missed it but; in ADDITION to previous concerns, I would like to clarify a "feature" of this proposed bloatware.

As I understand one of the 'features' of this launcher is that you can swap from game to game without bothering to re enter passwords? If true, what safeguards are in place to protect said passwords considering the same program opens a live conduit to the internet? Would seem to me to be a huge security risk. What safeguards are in place to prevent someone from using the internet connection forced upon us by this new software to collect our account information? Especially considering the "ease of purchasing Zen" feature would undoubtedly retain any credit card information entered?

Please understand, unlike some I was not immediately adverse to a unified launcher; however the more questions that are dodged or outright ignored, the more uneasy I become. Would appreciate a straightforward answer.

You raise a good point. And I've been asking myself the same thing. I actually *like* having to log in, using my password every time. I simply don't want someone else be able to just start up my computer, and start playing STO (and, gawd forbid, spend RL money using my account).

I was gonna say: "So, ARC better make auto-login optional then." But then I realized it would lose its 1 faux 'advantage' as it is.

As STO involves RL money, Arc auto-login equals the stupidity of having your electronic banking software log you in automagically. So, let's don't, and say we did... In fact, let's not even say we did.

N.B. All of the above is moot for me anyway, as I'll refuse to continue to play STO when Arc becomes mandatory.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not only does Arc provide another hoop for players to jump through and another process running in the background for less than optimal computer hardware, it provides a fantastic opportunity for mass theft of players' account and credit information. Once this becomes mandatory for STO, I'm done.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not surprised that we are all still posting our dissatisfaction here. Because even though the first 30 or more was saying don;t do this as we don't want it. and questions from people who had not decided this.
    The most important questions were side-stepped or ignored the most important one is the lack of security since you can log between games without reinputting the password.

Well if people want to do that fine but it sounds to me like a accident waiting to happen especially with all the hackers that have gained access to peoples account in the past.

Like many others as soon as ARC goes mandatory I'll take my money elsewhere I have deposited quite a bit in your coffers since LOR I have stopped giving you money for ZEN.

You have slightly restored my faith this week of free stuff especially since I didn't have any of it. However I'm still waiting for the catch so I'm expecting arc to go mandatory in a few weeks or months and then I will take time and money elsewhere because I will not install some useless software to access the only game I will play.

None of your other games impress me or make me want to play them so I can say PWE will lose loads of customers as soon as this goes mandatory. I really think they need to rethink this
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    talos8talos8 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The last couple of weeks I've been considering going with a lifetime sub for all of the perks. But if this becomes mandatory for everyone, I'll be focusing on my Playstation. So sick of the bloatware.:mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    talos8talos8 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We are excited to announce the next testing phase for Arc, our incredible, easy-to-use platform that has been created for you! Read more for details.

Click here to read more.

No offense but please don't.
  • Options
    admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's really sad I try to come back to this game after stepping away for a few months and I can't play because the new launcher won't work under wine. I guess there's no love for linux users .
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's really sad I try to come back to this game after stepping away for a few months and I can't play because the new launcher won't work under wine. I guess there's no love for linux users .

Yeah, I had to give up on it too. And I was looking forward to trying all of the LoR stuff.
    <3
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The last couple of weeks I've been considering going with a lifetime sub for all of the perks. But if this becomes mandatory for everyone, I'll be focusing on my Playstation. So sick of the bloatware.

Same here. I was planning on upgrading to LTS after they introduced the Romulan LTS perks, but I'm waiting as to how the whole Arc thing will turn out.

If it becomes mandatory, I'll move on to the next game and don't want to see my money wasted.
  • Options
    sammaelussammaelus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For now me and my friends resorted to playing through steam to avoid Arc, however should PWE&Craptic pull EA on us and make STO Arc-exclusive we will be taking our money and rather flush them down the toilet than support this kind of douchebaggery.

Dear Cryptic(sic), tell your chinese overlords this ain't Soviet Russia. We don't live in planned economy. Players don't need your company, your company needs players. Treat customers as nothing, be not surprised when you receive the same nothing as revenue.
  • Options
    kryptkprkryptkpr Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This whole ARC thing is a complete waste of time and an irritation to those of us that ONLY want to play STO and have NO interest in playing any other PWE game. We want our STO we do not want STO melded with 1, 3, 8+ games like steam. Concentrate on fixing the bugs that you ALL know about instead of pushing something down our throat that will cause many of us to leave and you to loose our money. This ARC thing is right in line with todays patch notes, fix one thing and ignore a ton while changing something else that works just fine, WOW really???? The game has a ton of bugs that need fixed and you guys change icons to look like some lame arcade game????? I can clearly see where all the money we spend is put towards...

OPEN YOUR EYES, before it's too late..........
  • Options
    radavvadraradavvadra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We are excited to announce the next testing phase for Arc, our incredible, easy-to-use platform that has been created for you! Read more for details.

I have responded before but will again this isn't for me IMO it benefits no one except PWE, I dont even think it benefits Cryptic.

I am hardly playing anymore because there is little point unless there is an guarantee of Arc free permanent access to STO otherwise time spent grinding and improving my skills is wasted.
  • Options
    ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, what's the benefit over what we are using to launch the game right now?

If it does become mandatory, then I will stop playing and paying purely out of principal. "You have to do this" I don't have to do anything.
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, what's the benefit over what we are using to launch the game right now?
    The benefit is to Perfect World, not you. They own the game, it's supposed to make them money - and by extension make their shareholders happy by also making them money. If you feel the game should only benefit you then pony-up the $50 million and buy it yourself. :)

PW has 14 games, with more coming, and they want people to try them. What they're doing with Arc is no different then what you see done with Steam, Raptr, or other game companies that also have multiple games.
    If it does become mandatory, then I will stop playing and paying purely out of principal. "You have to do this" I don't have to do anything.
    I've been playing computer games and reading gaming forums since 1999. The only thing I've learned in all that time is that very few people have the courage of their convictions. They talk a big show on the forum and then 3 days later you see them in the game as if nothing happened. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The benefit is to Perfect World, not you.

Yeah. So why then was Bran saying "We are excited to announce the next testing phase for Arc, our incredible, easy-to-use platform that has been created for you." Oops.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    zecozoxx1zecozoxx1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    PW has 14 games, with more coming, and they want people to try them. What they're doing with Arc is no different then what you see done with Steam, Raptr, or other game companies that also have multiple games.

First of all, yes, it *is* different than Steam. Steam offers me the opportunity to play thousands of games from hundreds of different companies. The Steam client is around 100 meg (as far as I can tell, but I may be off a bit), and has zero impact on my computer's speed. Steam does not harass me to play other games that Valve owns. ARC offers me the so-called "opportunity" to play 14 games from one company. The ARC client is a whopping 1 GIG. There are several reports that the ARC client bogs down RAM, and slows down the computer. ARC harasses people to play other Perfect World games. They are nowhere near the same thing.

Secondly, you state that PW wants me to play all 14 of their games. Yeah, and what of it? EA wants me to play all 500 of their games. Nintendo wants me to play all 500 of their games. Ubisoft wants me to play all 500 of their games. Am I obligated to do something because a corporation desires me to do it? If you think consumers have any obligation whatsoever to engage in an action because a CEO desires them to engage in that action, I feel sorry for you. The other PWE games do not interest me. If the games don't interest me, why should I be obligated to see nagging and annoying reminders and pop-up promotions to play a game that I have no interest in? If you aren't interested in, let's say hypothetically, going to see the movie "Rocky 10", would you happily install a 1 gig piece of bloatware and adware that slows down your computer while constantly nagging and harassing you "Rocky 10 is out in theatres! Buy tickets NOW! Do it NOW!"
  • Options
    stulloydstulloyd Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why do We need Arc if were only playing q1 of ur games. It aint easier. I prefer the standalone Launcher for a few reasons:

1) ARC takes up more of my CPU to run the game thu it & considering u can't close Arc after u've launched the game it's just a pain.
    2) How is it easier. U click on the button that says Star Trek online is way easier without having to go into Arc.

So why is this new Launcher Arc useful really come on. it maybe useful if u play Multi PWE games. Wait no it isn't cause it still easier to launch without Arc even then.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Trying to wrap my brain around that logic.

A launcher designed specifically for PWE games is going to improve our Star Trek Online or Champions Online experience?

How?
    So we can hotswap from STO to CO without entering a password?

And for this, we are installing 10Gigabytes of a Steam clone?

You may as well just bite the bullet and install Steam instead.
    It will serve you better in the long run.
    10 gigabytes, you say? Interesting, I have Arc on my computer, so why, when I check the properties of the Arc folder, is it telling me that I only have 70.5 Megabytes used for the whole application? Did you just conjure the 10 Gigabytes part up out of thin air? I don't see how you could have come up with 10 Gigabytes when I don't even have 100 megabytes used by the program.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    10 gigabytes, you say? Interesting, I have Arc on my computer, so why, when I check the properties of the Arc folder, is it telling me that I only have 70.5 Megabytes used for the whole application? Did you just conjure the 10 Gigabytes part up out of thin air? I don't see how you could have come up with 10 Gigabytes when I don't even have 100 megabytes used by the program.

Same. Arc runs for me with minimal interference and if you're running a semi-modern machine Origin, Steam, Arc, etc. should not really be taxing your system.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
This discussion has been closed.