test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Console Icon Art Revamp!

Comments

• atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    crypticttc wrote: »
    Based on continuing feedback I've added more distinction between the energy type icons. They now have a different silhouette but still feel like they are part of the same "family" of items.

I'm not sure if this adjustment will make it in time for this week's build, but will go in soon.

Energy weapon console adjustments

Thank you again for your feedback everyone!
    [noparse]:D[/noparse] Those are really good, though Phasers and Disruptors still look sorta the same. It would be cool if you could add a coil to the Disruptor console (either before, or after the middle segment).
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's a great improvement. If you get a chance to touch them up again would it be possible to make the red background color of each console match the color of its energy type to add more distinction to each?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Based on continuing feedback I've added more distinction between the energy type icons. They now have a different silhouette but still feel like they are part of the same "family" of items.

I'm not sure if this adjustment will make it in time for this week's build, but will go in soon.

Okay, that I can work with. The alloys are still a bit hard for me though. However, you're definitely going in the right direction I think. Thanks. :)
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I really like the icons to distinguish the warp cores.

I can find no decent graphics within the TNG or DS9 Technical Manuals - which would have come from the television productions - to better interpret armor/alloys in a Star Trek setting.
    IMO, the metallic shields that we see in game currently do a good job of interpreting various outer hull types. Which is where the armor and alloy technology is ultimately applied.

However, the space frame icon you designed as the new one would be more accurate a representation for the Structural Integrity Field Generator. As that space frame is what the generator is actually reinforcing.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the feedback on the icons, everyone!

After looking at feedback we reviewed the icons for the engineering alloys and decided that they indeed did look too similar. I've already checked in new art for these icons that still has a uniform style but is more distinct:

New Alloy Icons

I replied originally to post #1. Seeing these changes, IMO, these should be the Armor icons. As I suggested previously, keep the metallic shield icons and use them for the Alloys.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited August 2013

The new energy tac consoles do look better. Are you planning on making similar changes to the kinetic tac consoles and hull plating consoles? In my opinion, those still look too similar. The kinetic tac consoles have different mini-icons, but I'm not sure everyone will notice the difference.

I think you should also reconsider how rarity is indicated. Currently, rarity is denoted by a color gradient in the lower left corner. While "very rare" purple is usually noticeable, "uncommon" green and "rare" blue sometimes appear white. The severity of the problem depends on contrast with the console icon in the background. This was a problem before the icon changes, but it is more noticeable with some of the new icons. Instead of a color gradient, perhaps, you should switch to a small colored square in the corner. Note that "ultra rare" purple and "unique" gold are easily distinguished, because they surround the icon in a colored frame.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Saw the updated icons for weapons and armour on twitter. Definitely like the stronger variation. Thanks. :D
  • tikonovtikonov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    EWWWWWWWWWWWWW

The new tactical icons look like tacky 90s Bryce3D made images :(
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I think you should also reconsider how rarity is indicated. Currently, rarity is denoted by a color gradient in the lower left corner. While "very rare" purple is usually noticeable, "uncommon" green and "rare" blue sometimes appear white. The severity of the problem depends on contrast with the console icon in the background. This was a problem before the icon changes, but it is more noticeable with some of the new icons. Instead of a color gradient, perhaps, you should switch to a small colored square in the corner. Note that "ultra rare" purple and "unique" gold are easily distinguished, because they surround the icon in a colored frame.

Maybe all icons should have a colored border that indicated rarity.
    edited August 2013
    Suggestion for hull plating icons

I have a suggestion for making the hull plating icons more distinguishable. The idea is to use colored Greek letters for each energy type that the console protects against. This is similar to the scheme used for particle traces.

phaser: orange phi
    disruptor: green delta
    plasma: blue-green pi lambda
    tetryon: blue tau
    polaron: purple pi omicron
    antiproton: red alpha

So each of the hull plating consoles would have the following Greek letters:

diburnium: phi, delta
    electroceramic: pi lambda, tau
    parametallic: pi omicron, alpha
    ablative: phi, delta, pi lambda, tau
    tetraburnium: pi lambda, tau, pi omicron, alpha
    qVpg1km.png
    edited August 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    Maybe all icons should have a colored border that indicated rarity.

That would work, but you'd have to distinguish between "very rare" purple and "ultra rare" purple. Maybe, one of them should be switched to a different color.
    qVpg1km.png
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

After looking at feedback we reviewed the icons for the engineering alloys and decided that they indeed did look too similar. I've already checked in new art for these icons that still has a uniform style but is more distinct:

New Alloy Icons

These are much much better.

Thanks for listening to us, it's appreciated!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    That would work, but you'd have to distinguish between "very rare" purple and "ultra rare" purple. Maybe, one of them should be switched to a different color.

Won't get any complaints from me there. I have trouble right now distinguishing the difference between rare, very rare, and ultra rare stuff. The colors are too close for me. Changing up the rarity colors on the top end would be fine by me.

Sigh, the curse of being shade/color blind. :P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This has all reminded me about the icons for the old STO game.

One thing I've been curious about; are we going to get the in-game maps looked at? They're incredibly low quality. With an Lcars-like border and icons like this, it could be made to look less bland.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I still don't get it why a Phaser Relay, Disruptor Coil, Plasma Infuser and Co. have to share the nearly exact same bomb design. How about using the old pictures just in a more 3D way or at least updated design.

New Alloy icons are .. nice. I liked the saucer icons more. How about an icon that is half/half devided in the angle, with the saucer section on the right side and the alloy type on the lift side?
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    This has all reminded me about the icons for the old STO game.

One thing I've been curious about; are we going to get the in-game maps looked at? They're incredibly low quality. With an Lcars-like border and icons like this, it could be made to look less bland.

Perpetual Design? Now that looks good.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    To me this looks like doing something for the sake of looking like you are doing something. I see no reason to update the icons, once they are added to the ship people tend not to look at them again until they want to upgrade. Ofcourse this is just a personal opinion and others will think differently.

I am not colour blind, however I am dubious about the way things look too similar. As they are we can generally tell at a glance that this console is for phaser, that one for disruptor, and that one for polaron for example. Atleast with torps there is some small difference in the icons to tell which is which, but even then I do prefer the old ones for the at a glance difference.

The same goes for the hull plating as they are there is atleast something that can hint that x is different from y. With the new ones again it is down to the colour.

Atleast all the sci consoles are different.

I don't think these should go live until you do something that makes the different consoles actually look different for those who are colour blind.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the feedback on the icons...

New Alloy Icons

May I recommend you update the OP with these new images?

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2013

This addresses my concerns in my critique. Thank you.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013

New Alloy Icons

I like the alloy change, but I'd personally prefer the black-ish red of the added plates from the old Enhanced Neutronium to the dark gold-ish color of the new.

Making the alloy consoles too different from each other isn't necessary, since they're basically all the same thing, just with a different name and art for different marks.
  • karhaekarhae Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    decronia wrote: »
    To me this looks like doing something for the sake of looking like you are doing something. I see no reason to update the icons, ...
    I couldn't have said it better myself.
    decronia wrote: »
    I don't think these should go live until you do something that makes the different consoles actually look different for those who are colour blind.
    Agreed, though this goes beyond just colorblind limitations, once you start blending in the color splashes for rarity these icons are going to take a lot more time to tell apart than the current icons.

That insistence on blending colors together to form gradients makes a LOT of things in the game take longer to read because these blended color fields visually merge with the art to become less distinct, where solid color frames or solid color corner emblems would be much easier to distinguish quickly.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    The revamped alloy icons look more like the bottom of cheap frying pans lol. though more distinguishable from the Op post.

I like how everything is getting a "family" shape so the type of console is easily recognized but there needs to be enough differance between one type to another in each family besides just color.

As for the warp cores i see no need to change them at all really but if they are changed then change them all to new rather than make one use the same icon another used since that will generate some confusion.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • afree100afree100 Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nice Icons!
    Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honor Guard
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why was there even a need to update these icons? You guys have nothing better to do or what?
  • onnirantonnirant Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For me this is awful, I am colour blind on red/green/blue, so there is no way for me to see any difference between polaron and tetryon for example, it appears that there are very tiny differences in the images you provided but these are far larger in scale than we see in the game and these differences I suspect will be too small to see.

If you are going to have icons that are differentiated only by colour then you need to add some other defining aspect to them, like a letter P or T to denote the energy type. As it is now it is literally impossible for me to see the difference, I will have to hover over them to find out what they are.

I agree. I have somewhat severe protanomaly (red/green-blindess), and especially the tactical consoles are very hard to tell apart. To illustrate my point, I made an album on imgur. I changed the images to grayscale and shrunk them to about 75% so they better match their size in game, tell me can you honestly tell the torpedo consoles apart?
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    having just logged in to this new patch. I can see an instant fail in my inventory. some of the armour consoles now look almost identical. to me they used to be distinctively different. now they are close to identical, can hardly tell them apart. to me that's an epic fail!

I've now seen more consoles now. who on earth thought this was good idea? making them all look the same ?? I can only imagine a colour blind person or any one with sight difficulties having a total nightmare now.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I really thought I was going to like the new Icons with todays patch, but...

Not So Much. :(

To my eyes anyway, they just don't seem distinctive enough.

Everything seems to blend together now when I look at my Ships Character Screen and especially my Inventory.
    (my screen resolution is 1920x1080)

Would it be possible to have a thicker colored outline on the Icons to represent the different Depts.?
    (instead of the color being part of the background)

The artwork is pretty and I'm sure a lot of work went into creating them, but it has created a mishmash of colors that are difficult to distinguish when they sit together.

(and I'm not even color-blind, I can't imagine whet it must look like to someone with that problem)

:(
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ?The icons have been updated for all passive science, tactical and engineering consoles
    So my big question is why are you changing the Icons on all theses Equips? I only hope you didn't change the description's/wording around on them.
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Only the icons have been changed.
    Hence, "Icon Update".
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    consoles are awful. can hardly tell them apart now.

i'm baffled that they made it to holodeck. how did no one not notice how bad this was?!?!