test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I am so pissed off (Re: collecting loot at the end of a STF)

mistressbenihimemistressbenihime Member Posts: 224 Arc User
I just finished a STF and left before collecting my loot. I realized it just as i clicked leave map now button.

WHY IS THE LEAVE MAP BUTTON FLASHING IN MY FACE WHILE I AM DOING THE WHOLE THING JUST FOR THE LOOT!!!

i am there for the marks and dilithium those are just number going up can't that be automated. it's a major nuisance for such a minor thing. even a pop-up saying "you have unclaimed item(s) on this map are you sure you want to leave?" would do the job.

you click the leave map now button and realize you made a mistake only a second later and there is no way of going back and fixing it. at that point your dilithium and mark are gone for good.

PLEASE CRYPIC FINALLY GET THIS FIXED

EDIT: some people seem to mis the point so ill add this.
thecosmic1 wrote: »
Now, now. The button plays to the psychology of the untrained mind to do whatever it's told to do, whether it wants to or not. :)
exactly my point!

i my case it was a tired mind, that why just a second of not paying attention cost me all my loot and there is no way to get to it after you did.

STFs are among the more demanding missions in STO so you focus on them while you are trying to complete the objectives. when you finish them you tend to relax a bit. you can then allow your concentration to lapse. (which you are more likely to do when you are tired.)
in this moment ,when you are possibly/likely paying a little less attention (then you should), a big pop-up appears in the middle of the screen telling you to leave the map.
the game is psychologically setting you up to do the opposite of what you want to do.

that's the worst kind of bad game design there is, 3 years in and it still isn't fixed.....
maybe now you understand what's really pissing me off
aarons9 wrote: »
i do agree with OP..

why are some automatic, like azure.. and some not like CC..

there is NO reason to have to pick up loot at the end of missions.. it should go in your inventory automatically.

sometimes when you die its a PITA to find out where the loot dropped..
one time i flew around CC until the timer ran out and i couldnt find that damn thing.
then it auto warped me out.
this actually makes it worse. STO has no uniform way of dealing whit this. if seasoon 8 is meant to be all about endgame maybe crypic should be paying some attention to creating a intelligent, intuitive and uniform way of rewarding players for completing (endgame) group content at the end of a mission/STF/ETC.

EDIT: 2
jetwtf wrote: »
The best solution is not auto loot but have the same pop up that we all had in every story mission or system patrol except we dont need to click the square icon to the right of the title in the journal. Once the mission completes it should pop up with a congratulations text and a list of rewards and the button being collect rewards. This way at the end of every event you can review the reward and you know you collected it because hitting the button is the only way to remove the pop up window. never should exit be the first message you recieve even in story missions, reward first then exit.

this would be just about the perfect solution. players have complained that not picking up loot themselves makes it feel that the game is not rewarding them. having your reward pop-up in your face would certainly prevent that. (GW2 style :D)

there will always be afkers but giving us the option to kick them and invite a new player will benefit us more while doing missions and can't unintentionally "hurt" non-afking players.

this is a serious UI problem (the worst UI issue imho) that existed from launch day. STO is nearing its 4th anniversary and it's still not fixed. it pissing me of crypic isn't fixing serious issues like these.

crypic is always claiming that the greats thing about (working on) MMO games is that they keep on improving as time passes. well sometimes that means looking back at what you have been doing. decide what worked out and what didn't. use that information to lay out course for the future and fixing the old content to bring it to the current standard.
along this line i would still suggest that if crypic wants season 8 to be about end-game they should take a look about how the game has been rewarding the players for completing (end-game) content and develop a uniform and intuitive way of doing it from now on and apply this to all content that currently exists (including STFs).
THE NEW CRAFTING SYSTEM IS TERRA-BAD
First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.
Post edited by mistressbenihime on

Comments

• Options
    kahless2001kahless2001 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I thought the button was rather small and considering the large amount of screen space in which to click I don't think it's an issue, personally.

Yes, you're annoyed at your own stupidity for leaving the map before getting the loot that you know you always have to do before leaving. I think you're blaming cryptic here for a silly mistake. Thankfully, it's easily fixed by just running it again after cooldown :o
  • Options
    admanf2padmanf2p Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Something tells me you are not a happy person normally. You might want to find another avenue for entertainment if something like this ruins your day.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    OP has a point though. :)

Sometimes it feels like those dang buttons is designed to troll you.
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As we say in the industry, PEBCAK.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Now, now. The button plays to the psychology of the untrained mind to do whatever it's told to do, whether it wants to or not. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Been there done that. After a particularly miserable run of Mine Trap, that also happen to have an equally miserable player spamming team and zone chat with tears and rage, I spammed the f button at the end in a huff. And of course I forgot to wait around for the reward. Typically needed those last few marks to finish a project too.

So I had a quick run of Azura, and got what I needed soon enough.

Moral of the Story? There is no point getting angry with missing or forgetting loot, you will soon pick up more in no time at all.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Poor design just like when you play ground and you get messages spamming you while playing and interrupt or mess up your movement.

Just like in sector space when you autopilot to somewhere and the game asks if you want to head into a nebula.

The only defense of it is we got 3000 other things that need fixing first and you can't sell bugfixing in a lockbox or in the c-store so yeah "it could be worse..." and probably will be :D
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    u guys know they already removed the loot-bag and did it the way requested here? many players didn't like it and asked for getting the loot-bags back ;).
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    vestereng wrote: »
    The only defense of it is we got 3000 other things that need fixing first and you can't sell bugfixing in a lockbox or in the c-store so yeah "it could be worse..." and probably will be :D

If they could figure out a way to drop hot fixes in lockboxes, key sales would skyrocket!
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013

the good thing about this whole experience OP is.... it probably won't happen to you again.

edited August 2013
    The main problem here is lack of consistency. Some mission rewards are all automatic, you needn't remember a thing except to stick around long enough and you get fleet marks from Starbase Incursion, or NWS for example. STF's are the polar opposite in that you get nothing if you don't loot. Still others give some loot automatically, but you have to loot the mark box (and then open it) to get the goods, CC for example. Then of course you still have episodic missions which will give you an automatic dialog after completion where you may have to select your rewards. Still others give you rewards via a journal completion where you must click to bring it up, Borg Red Alert for example.

I would agree it is a classic PEBCAK but the question is which chair and keyboard? IMO, I don't see how a designer or developer can look at the above and be pleased with it. Sure there are many excuses to how it got that way, but that's all they are.

However until someone is empowered and motivated to correct past mistakes you might just spam the heck out of the F key after various que missions just to make sure you don't miss out on what you were after in the first place.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's also a problem when players are coming from games where loot mechanics put drops right into a characters inventory.

Huh ... I was just complaining about STO's button-loot mechanic *to myself* just yesterday because I was used to CoH ...

Meh. I got over it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    exactly my point!

i my case it was a tired mind, that why just a second of not paying attention cost me all my loot and there is no way to get to it after you did.

STFs are among the more demanding missions in STO so you focus on them while you are trying to complete the objectives. when you finish them you tend to relax a bit. you can then allow your concentration to lapse. (which you are more likely to do when you are tired.)
    in this moment ,when you are possibly/likely paying a little less attention (then you should), a big pop-up appears in the middle of the screen telling you to leave the map.
    the game is psychologically setting you up to do the opposite of what you want to do.

that's the worst kind of bad game design there is, 3 years in and it still isn't fixed.....
    First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
    second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.
  • Options
    o1derfull1o1derfull1 Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2013
    The main problem here is lack of consistency. Some mission rewards are all automatic, you needn't remember a thing except to stick around long enough and you get fleet marks from Starbase Incursion, or NWS for example. STF's are the polar opposite in that you get nothing if you don't loot. Still others give some loot automatically, but you have to loot the mark box (and then open it) to get the goods, CC for example. Then of course you still have episodic missions which will give you an automatic dialog after completion where you may have to select your rewards. Still others give you rewards via a journal completion where you must click to bring it up, Borg Red Alert for example.

This. ALL of this.

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited August 2013
    i do agree with OP..

there is NO reason to have to pick up loot at the end of missions.. it should go in your inventory automatically.

one time i flew around CC until the timer ran out and i couldnt find that damn thing.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The OP is correct.

STO UX is more like archaeology - layers of TRIBBLE, to good, to TRIBBLE, to some good, to more TRIBBLE.

Layers.

Their story managers clearly don't understand cost of ownership through subclass UX objects or have never heard of refactoring tools that can do the same.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    i do agree with OP..

this actually makes it worse. STO has no uniform way of dealing whit this. if seasoon 8 is meant to be all about endgame maybe crypic should be paying some attention to creating a intelligent, intuitive and uniform way of rewarding players for completing (endgame) group content at the end of a mission/STF/ETC.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am so pissed off.

Go get some ice cream.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If people read the dialogue, they would see it reminds you to pick up your loot. On the subject of the flashing in your face, you made a big hyperbole.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    elessym wrote: »

Yes, clearly a firmware error in the device handling the calls between the chair and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    Yes, clearly a firmware error in the device handling the calls between the chair and keyboard.

In web design, we call it an ID-10T error.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So did I, but the sad thing for STO is Cryptic designed the system that CoH used and we never had this problem.

You'd think a game company like Cryptic would learn from it's previous games and take the mechanics that worked well and bring them into their new games. Instead Cryptic decided to ignore the good things they learned from making CoH.

Very few of the people who worked on CoH work on STO.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well I have no problem resisting to push the flashy button the second my brain registers it...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    If people read the dialogue, they would see it reminds you to pick up your loot. On the subject of the flashing in your face, you made a big hyperbole.

how many times have you just clicked a button on a pop-up without really reading it? (not just in STO but in general)

people who use computers a lot tent to just click a button on a pop-up to get on whit the thing they are doing without that annoying pop-up in their face.
    the pop-up may tell you to pick up your items but mostly you will want to push the button that gets it out of your face, sadly the only button on it forces you to leave the map.
    all the wile the loot button(the button you really want to push) is far less visible on the screen. its smaller and in a spot that attracts less attention.

in the end the wrong button is in your face!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Just because the company has new people doesn't mean it shouldn't learn from it's past so it doesn't make future mistakes.

If people did that we wouldn't have wars.
    how many times have you just clicked a button on a pop-up without really reading it? (not just in STO but in general)

*ahem*
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    If people did that we wouldn't have wars.

valid but irrelevant.
    First rule: People are stupid.

proper design prevents these kind of things!
    maybe you should rethink the meaning of the word fool-proof!

proper design is foolproof or at least strife's to be!
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I feel for the OP. I've left behind loot in STFs, CE, and even Mine Trap. The latter was especially frustrating because I knew there was no box for me to pick-up but I didn't know there was a delay between the mission ending and the reward being dropped into my bucket. The former two (STF/CE) were just dumb mistakes on my part, a sort of instinctual urge to click the button combined with absentmindedness.

In all cases I did it once (each). And then I Learned, and (so far) haven't done it again. Was I full of rage/angry when these events happened... Meh, no not really. Frustrated, sure. But it's just a game and another STF (or whatever) will be along shortly for me to run through.

That being said, it would be nice if we just got the rewards automatically, without any need on the part of the user to perform something special (like pick-up the loot bag or wait until the loot is dumped on us).

Or if they don't make it automatic, at least make the pop-up Leave button conditional pending the pick-up of all reward drops/delivery of rewards (though allowing the normal mini-map Leave button active would be fine).

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    First rule: People are stupid.

You said it pal.
    proper design prevents these kind of things!
    maybe you should rethink the meaning of the word fool-proof!

proper design is foolproof or at least strife's to be!

Obviously you underestimate the power of fools.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I feel for the OP. I've left behind loot in STFs, CE, and even Mine Trap. The latter was especially frustrating because I knew there was no box for me to pick-up but I didn't know there was a delay between the mission ending and the reward being dropped into my bucket. The former two (STF/CE) were just dumb mistakes on my part, a sort of instinctual urge to click the button combined with absentmindedness.

In all cases I did it once (each). And then I Learned, and (so far) haven't done it again. Was I full of rage/angry when these events happened... Meh, no not really. Frustrated, sure. But it's just a game and another STF (or whatever) will be along shortly for me to run through.

That being said, it would be nice if we just got the rewards automatically, without any need on the part of the user to perform something special (like pick-up the loot bag or wait until the loot is dumped on us).

Or if they don't make it automatic, at least make the pop-up Leave button conditional pending the pick-up of all reward drops/delivery of rewards (though allowing the normal mini-map Leave button active would be fine).

this is why i don't get the pop-up still exists. next to the mini-map there is already a perfectly good button for leaving the map, why does one need to pop-up in my face?
    a pop-up message saying "Don't forget to pick up all items before leaving [ok]" whit the timer on it would be far more effective.
    an additional timer can be added ext to the mini-map icon to show how much time is left before auto leaving. that way people still know even when they dismiss the pop-up.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I don't... that's generally a really bad idea in any computer setting. And frankly if you're in the practice of doing so, you deserve what you got or lost.