test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this patch going to fix the launcher?

Last patch killed my launcher and I have been completely unable to access the game. Why do the DEVS feel the need to TRIBBLE with stuff that ain't broke and not fix "KNOWN" issues?
Post edited by section31agent#8506 on

Comments

• sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Because when they implement code to fix the bugs they end up breaking something else.
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sonnikku wrote: »
    Because when they implement code to fix the bugs they end up breaking something else.

Maybe it is just me but isn't that kinda sorta the reason for the tribble server to run it as a test to see what it breaks?
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    arnthebard wrote: »
    Last patch killed my launcher and I have been completely unable to access the game. Why do the DEVS feel the need to TRIBBLE with stuff that ain't broke and not fix "KNOWN" issues?

Because it's probably an issue with your hardware or software config on that PC; OR an issue with you ISP. And sorry but "All my other MMOs run fine" still isn't proof that it isn't something local to your PC (IE some conflicting software, setting or corruption); or a local ISP issue.

(And before people flame away at me I say that because it that were the case - that the launcher itself was totally hosed for that majority of the playerbase - you'd see a 'threadnaught (a + 1000 post thread, or multiple threads that the CMs would start merging into a giant thread.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • hecarriesmehecarriesme Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Maybe it is just me but isn't that kinda sorta the reason for the tribble server to run it as a test to see what it breaks?

HAHAHAH It's not funny actually , but it just tickles me to see that with this new patch they have pretty much ruined my log in... I have been thinking about throwing the hole game in the trash because of this constant seeming to fix something and messing up something else in the process.
    I think it's my concept that I've spent over $200 bills on the game in the last 6 months and feel I would be loosing out of my investment if I quit. I'm starting to think again.... LOL

Cpt. Ron
  • jaimeson99jaimeson99 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you have the same issue as I have (launcher showing on taskbar but not on screen) there is a workaround in red at the top of the main forum page. Basically it tells you to minimize then maximize STO launcher via the task manager (ctrl alt delete). However server is being patched atm so maybe this wont be an issue afterwards.
    edited August 2013
    jaimeson99 wrote: »
    If you have the same issue as I have (launcher showing on taskbar but not on screen) there is a workaround in red at the top of the main forum page. Basically it tells you to minimize then maximize STO launcher via the task manager (ctrl alt delete). However server is being patched atm so maybe this wont be an issue afterwards.

I tried this work around but all I got was a error code saying that the launcher was uanble to authenticate the login and or password. I even went so far as to uninstall the launcher and reinstall it only to find the same results.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I tried this work around but all I got was a error code saying that the launcher was uanble to authenticate the login and or password. I even went so far as to uninstall the launcher and reinstall it only to find the same results.
    Are you certain you're typing in the correct password, or that someone didn't change your password?

I know it's a stupid question, but dumber things have happened to me. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited August 2013
    Because it's probably an issue with your hardware or software config on that PC; OR an issue with you ISP. And sorry but "All my other MMOs run fine" still isn't proof that it isn't something local to your PC (IE some conflicting software, setting or corruption); or a local ISP issue.

(And before people flame away at me I say that because it that were the case - that the launcher itself was totally hosed for that majority of the playerbase - you'd see a 'threadnaught (a + 1000 post thread, or multiple threads that the CMs would start merging into a giant thread.)

Sorry to throw cold water on your theories but after 3&1/2 years of this I know it isn't my computer or my ISP [otherwise other programs on my PC would be affected]. What it more likely is the fact they are trying to force people to run ARC and all the bloatware that comes with it. My launcher had worked perfectly until seaon 7. Now It's Dead Jim like Spock said when you have ruled out the logical then what remains no matter how improbable must be the truth. So it must be on the Cryptic PWE side.
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Are you certain you're typing in the correct password, or that someone didn't change your password?

I know it's a stupid question, but dumber things have happened to me. :)

Yes I am still typing the correct passwords otherwise I would not be able to log in on this forum and complain.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sorry to throw cold water on your theories but after 3&1/2 years of this I know it isn't my computer or my ISP [otherwise other programs on my PC would be affected]. What it more likely is the fact they are trying to force people to run ARC and all the bloatware that comes with it. My launcher had worked perfectly until seaon 7. Now It's Dead Jim like Spock said when you have ruled out the logical then what remains no matter how improbable must be the truth. So it must be on the Cryptic PWE side.

Well, after 25+ years (and a programming degree), I know that if a mass delivered product is working on 95%+ of the devices it's delivered to, but not on mine; there's probably some compatibility issue with my particular device that doesn't exist on the other 95%.

Further, unless the company feels that 5% is worth recapturing (and the 5% aren't sending/looking/including any info about their hardware or software configuration, chances are, the issue won't get resolved.

(BTW - haven't experienced a patcher issue directly since beta; and not using/nor will I ever use ARC; thus if your theory is, they somehow are forcing ARC on everyone all of a sudden - I can tell you that hasn't been the case with my setup.)

Lastly, if you're in the IT field, the LAST thing you should do is automatically assume something CAN'T be a cause without honestly checking the possibility out to the best of your ability. And honestly, if you are still wanting to play STO, I hope you do find the cause (be it local on your end, or on Cryptic's end); and get it resolved.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes I am still typing the correct passwords otherwise I would not be able to log in on this forum and complain.
    Well, I'm always logged into the forum/website so I couldn't tell you the last time I had to type in a password just to post something. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited August 2013
    FYI**** I finally got a tech who admitted it is on the patch server. He said it has something to do with Verizon. The reason being my laptop still launches but my pc doesn't and they're on the same modem. The PC has the latest patch while my laptop has a June update as the most recent patch.
  • rojomataderorojomatadero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    FYI**** I finally got a tech who admitted it is on the patch server. He said it has something to do with Verizon. The reason being my laptop still launches but my pc doesn't and they're on the same modem. The PC has the latest patch while my laptop has a June update as the most recent patch.
    As satisfying as that answer might be, I have the same problem on CenturyLink. The issues that have been plaguing STO recently are independent of who your Tier 1 ISP is.
    edited August 2013
    You know with all the resources and bright people who play STO there has to be a permanent solution to this launcher debacle. Hey Cryptic come clean and tell us what the problem is chances are we can fix it better than your team has. Really someone here would do it for free just so they can play the game.