test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What factions would be feasible?

similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
A lot of people (myself included) like to theorise about potential future factions. Most of these theories are completely ridiculous/ludicrous/idiotic. e.g. "I wanna play a borg drone, flying a cube!"

So, keeping in mind cryptic don't plan to let anybody play any bad guys, and that most ideas are infeasible/impractical:
What could they do, and of those, what would you like them to do?

As for my thoughts: As may be apparent, I want Cardassians. Since in STO, they are Feds allies, they meet the "good guy" criteria, unfortunately they are lacking in capabilities at present. Although this could make for some good story telling opportunities.
This would of course be a small faction, with limited options - and the Galor may conflict with existing rules/content. But I'd be happy with that.*

* "happy" in the sense that actually is, unlike all those folk who said "all I want is to be a romulan in a D'Deridex and now just rage about every ounce of content ;)

Comments

• richandrewsrichandrews Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    one word.

BORG!

Who wouldnt like to assimilate words, maybe an adaptation mini game in combat to improve your damage resistance to weapon types.
    Would make for interesting PVP
  • nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They could pull off "Legacy of Cardassia" and add Cardassians for sure. Perhaps mix some Jem Hadar, Vorta, Founder and Breen in there as well.

PWE/Cryptic could also get away with "Legacy of The Mirror Universe" and give us the Terran Empire. It can be a sort of Fed side with a KDF touch.

Beyond that, there is not much. Borg and Undine are just too weird IMO. It would not feel right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For a Faction to be chosen there needs to be a marketable aspect to it. It needs to have plenty of ships, clothing, and other item choices to sell in the C-Store to justify the development cost of producing it.

It also needs to be able to fit into the Two-Faction structure that Cryptic wants to go with. Meaning you would need to have a Fed and a KDF version of the Faction.

If you could imagine Fed Cardassians and KDF Cardassians, then yeah, Cardassians could work. If you're expecting Cardassians to stand as their own Faction then it probably wouldn't work for you. Thouch Cardassians are probably the 4th most popular Faction in the genre.

From a canon aspect - not that it matters in this game - I would think Xindi or Liberated Borg are better fits into the Two-Faction system - as I can see them working with Feds and KDF.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • msk5msk5 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cardassians are highly probable, I think there's room for a Dominion-ish faction with Jem'hadar, Vorta, and Cardassians. How they'd swing it so they would be friendly with the Klingons and Starfleet I can't for the life of me figure out but I'm pretty sure it would happen. That or have Cardassians go to the Fed side and Jem'hadar go to the KDF.

They could get around the problems in offering the Galor/Bug/JHEC/JHDC by having the lockbox versions be the "refit" versions.

I think the Borg Cooperative would be interesting, have them fly various Delta Quadrant ship types and be a sort of nomadic group.

Xindi would be another interesting mini-faction.
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I only have one question: What makes you think that the introduction of the Romulan faction means that they will suddenly release mini-factions like the RR for every single power ST has?
    STO%20Sig.png~original
    edited August 2013
    I only have one question: What makes you think that the introduction of the Romulan faction means that they will suddenly release mini-factions like the RR for every single power ST has?
    The idea that those Factions have a lot of items that can be sold to make money. A new Faction means at least 10 new ships: 5 free, 5 C-Store, 5 Fleet. It means new uniforms, new races, new Doff packs, etc. Factions are extremely easy to monetize and make your development money back.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Cardassians are in a pretty much idential situation to the Romulans right now, but with the legitimate government being the weak power likely to seek alliances and the splinter faction being the stronger force that's made an enemy of both sides in the war. Path to 2409 has the Ferengi pretty heavily controlling the Cardassian economy, and the Ferengi are already actively playing both sides of the war, so both could plausibly be rolled into one.

I think in terms of the Dominion and Borg, we're more likely to see races threatened by them than we are are themselves, repeating the pattern we've already seen twice with the Deferi. But, the Dominion already does have a splinter faction - the New Link is still there and has some level of peace brokered with the Federation and Klingon Empire.
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Whatever faction people will buy ;)
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Since Cryptic seems able to eventually access ideas and concepts from some of the novels, with some negotiation and luck, why not bring in the Typhon Pact?

I talk about it in this thread I started a week or two ago, but I'll post the summary of it here:

Faction: The Typhon Pact
    So a lot of faction talk happened after the launch of LoR. Everyone's getting in on it. People are tossing around ideas like Cardassians, Jem'Hadar, or Borg and Undine.
    All things considered, weak ideas.
    The Cardassians would be too much like angrier and more egotistical Romulans at this point. The Jem'hadar (in the Alpha Quadrant at least) are neither numerous enough nor compelling enough to warrant factionhood, and.... guys, let's leave the Borg and Undine as enemy factions, okay? Be serious.
    Like how serious this idea is! I did some reading on it, and essentially, the Typhon Pact is a coalition of the more recognizable Breen, Tholian, Imperial Romulan, and Gorn races, with the somewhat more obscure Tzenkethi and Kinyasha playing second banana. These races banded together also to fight the Borg and to kinda try and one-up the Federation in therms of power consolidation.
    This idea would require a lot of work, however. Like.... a lot a lot.
    Firstly, they wouldn't be sharing any of the missions that current Starfleet, Klingon, or Republic Romulans do. Their goals are simply too different as are their concerns. Every mission would essentially have to be new and original.
    Secondly, some of those races, while in-game already, would require a lot of work to make playable (I'm lookin' at the Tholians here). The Tzenkethi, while mentioned on DS9, have never been seen (it is assumed they are large monstrous felinoids, more bestial than even Caitians or Ferasans). The Kinyasha are completely unique to the novels, and also quite large and monstrous.
    Thirdly, reconciling the fact that several of these species' ships have been made available to players as lockbox or prize ships. The short and sweet solution would be to simply offer potential Typhon Pact players an appropriately analogous Federation/KDF starship. But it may not be quite that simple, y'know?
    And a lot of the Reputation trees currently available would have to be reworked a bit to reflect the Typhon Pact flavoring.
    However, what could give the devs an interesting avenue to introduce the idea of the Typhon Pact are, oddly enough, the Gorn and the Imperial Romulans.
    We all know that there are pretty heavy allusions to the Gorn Hegemony's dissatisfaction with being annexed by the Klingons. And the Romulan Star Empire is in complete disarray in several points throught the game. If a mission series that deals with Gorn Independence ever pops up, it could easily be established at the end of that arc that the newly emancipated Gorn seek protection from the Klingons by taking part in this crazy idea the Tholians and Breen thought up, in the form of the Typhon Pact's mutual protection.
    And the Romulan Star Empire, absolutely at the end of it's ropes thanks to Sela and Hakeev's chicanery, along with significant numbers of their dissatisfied Romulan and Reman population splitting off to form the Reman Rebels and New Romulan Republic, may see the alliance as incredibly beneficial to them, at least in the short term.
    It'd require a lot of work, on multiple fronts. But I think it'd definitely be the coolest "new faction" idea there is.

There's a couple of other faction ideas in that thread of mine, but the Typhon Pact idea is potentially the best one.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    BORG!

You ignored the question, didn't you...
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    They could pull off "Legacy of Cardassia" and add Cardassians for sure. Perhaps mix some Jem Hadar, Vorta, Founder and Breen in there as well.

Jem'Hadar, Vorta & founder = Dominion. Dominon =/= Cardassian
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    PWE/Cryptic could also get away with "Legacy of The Mirror Universe" and give us the Terran Empire. It can be a sort of Fed side with a KDF touch.

Beyond that, there is not much. Borg and Undine are just too weird IMO. It would not feel right.

You know, I think you're the only person that give a sensible response regarding borg...
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It also needs to be able to fit into the Two-Faction structure that Cryptic wants to go with. Meaning you would need to have a Fed and a KDF version of the Faction.

No reason why they couldn't increase the rift ;)
    If you could imagine Fed Cardassians and KDF Cardassians, then yeah, Cardassians could work. If you're expecting Cardassians to stand as their own Faction then it probably wouldn't work for you.

As I stated in the original post, I believe the cardassians would be incapable of being a major faction.
    From a canon aspect - not that it matters in this game - I would think Xindi or Liberated Borg are better fits into the Two-Faction system - as I can see them working with Feds and KDF.

We already have liberated borg working with the federation and KDF...
    & You could do Xindi quite nicely - Say the Reptillians and Insectoids split off and join the KDF, while their more docile members continue to wimp-it-out with their silly fed alliance... That I would approve of.
    msk5 wrote: »
    Cardassians are highly probable, I think there's room for a Dominion-ish faction with Jem'hadar, Vorta, and Cardassians.....friendly with the Klingons and Starfleet .....Galor/Bug/JHEC/JHDC by having the lockbox versions be the "refit" versions.....I think the Borg Cooperative would be interesting.....Xindi would be another interesting mini-faction.

I'm not fond of the idea of tossing in Dominion stuff, since they're no longer really affiliated with Cardassia. Plus KDF hate the dominion a lot more than the Fed do ;)

The Xindi and Cardassians are both Fed friendly, so it would make some sense to include them as a fed only ally - this would no doubt annoy many people...

You imply I said they would.

Please note: I'm aware I offer some conflicting statements in there (mostly regarding Xindi), This is due to replying to people individually, not everybody as a whole. So, My favourite of them is the Militant Xindi > KDF, wimpy xindi > Fed. This obviously wouldn't go down well with some people.
    similon wrote: »
    We already have liberated borg working with the federation and KDF...
    As the Devs have stated, if they did a Borg Faction it would be Hugh's Liberated Borg group - thus they would have their own Liberated Borg ships and the like. Cryptic has stated they won't do an "evil" Faction - thus no Tal Roms or regular Borg/Undine or whatever.
  • skanvakskanvak Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My opinon :

If faction can either go to ally, neutral, friend of the UFP then any faction can go in the 2 faction system then the following can be added :

Cardassian.

Imperial Romulan, I really like the idea of the Republic being allied with the Federation and The Empire allied with the Klingon (that is a rational as the Federation is stealing world from the RSE). Imperial Romulan are not more (I would say less actually) than the Klingon Empire.

Faction that can be added but does not fit are :

Tholian (lots of ship and in alternate history they are allied to the Federation. Their mind set is really strange)
    Borg (every one want them) I don't think the Borg rate as evil, they do what they consider correct. They rate as no way to discuss with them (player should be forbidden to do joke or speak with non borg) and they are the ultimate antagonist in that they consider every one there enemy (well actually they comme to help them evolve, share technology to help them adapt to new challenge, infinite race combine in one, I don't think they are really different from the federation and all drone are equal.).
    Dominion (lots of race)

I think that Borg and Tholian could be interesting if the players can play the antagonist inside Borg/tholian open map and Pve que. Each Borg/Tholian player coming will reduce the number of NPC drastically though it will make the pve more random.

As I have address it : The Klingon Empire is Evil (according to Christian morality or DnD alignement system) so we already have an evil faction.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd have to say none of the above.
    How about a "faction" that is not associated with any of the other ones?
    The ides of a "civilian" faction as in "non-aligned" is actually more appealing to me personally.
    edited August 2013
    I think after LoR, all characters should start out as 'free spirits'. Let everyone choose their own allegiance at level 10 like the rommies do.
  • chris919ukchris919uk Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Some form of Cardassian/Dominion faction would more than likely work. I see enough Jem ships in game as it is already. Could work if you actually gave a choice between being a Cardassian seeking aid from the Federation or Klingons. Of course for balance you'd have to implement a true Dominion faction and True Way Alliance for those that really want to be the bad guys.

Xindi as similon mentioned would also work. I could see Aquatics, Arboreals and Primates going Fed while Reptillians and Insectoids went KDF. Of course Daniels points out in Enterprise that the Xindi joined the Federation, so would the KDF Xindi be rebels? Also how would you implement away teams for Aquatics? Portable Goldfish bowl?

As for Borg. Thats a potential minefield. We have Liberated Borg for Gold Members. If you let everyone roll one I can see the mobs with pitchforks storming the forums. :D

Plus how would you implement Borg sensibly? We have a Borg gear rep system in place with Omega. So how would you create unique ships? Maybe go the way of Enterprise episode "Regeneration" and have makeshift Borg ships or a single Tier 1-Tier 5 that gradually improves with upgrades over time.

The other option is playable Borg themed rebels like those that followed Hugh in the Next Generation. A Collective Borg would be pretty bad since you'd have to follow the Queen's commands and agree to work together. Thats a major problem in itself.;)

My worry with a playable Borg race is that the game would be filled with people using Borg Tac Cubes. Not a good idea, however cool some of you might think it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
    edited August 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    How about a "faction" that is not associated with any of the other ones?
    The ides of a "civilian" faction as in "non-aligned" is actually more appealing to me personally.
    Incredibly easy to do, as long as they don't ever want to PvP. :)

Cryptic doesn't want more than Two-Faction PvP, which is what limits how all future Factions can join the game. Either Cryptic creates two mini-Factions at a time: one for Feds and one for KDF, or they create a Faction that chooses Fed or KDF like the Roms do.

There's no way around that and still maintain the PvP restrictions they want.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    similon wrote: »
    A lot of people (myself included) like to theorise about potential future factions. Most of these theories are completely ridiculous/ludicrous/idiotic. e.g. "I wanna play a borg drone, flying a cube!"

So, keeping in mind cryptic don't plan to let anybody play any bad guys, and that most ideas are infeasible/impractical:
    What could they do, and of those, what would you like them to do?

As for my thoughts: As may be apparent, I want Cardassians. [/i]

I'm very sorry but your premise is highly flawed...Do you think Cardassians and Romulans are "good" guys?...using your own logic and words: ridiculous/ludicrous/idiotic. e.g.
    Sorry but true if you don't think they are antagonistic enemies of FED and KDF then you don't know much about Trek Universe. You can come up with any excuse not to play as Borg but these (Cardassians or even Romulans) are far from "good" guys in the core of Trek culture.

If Devs don't want to make a Borg race that is their call and choice since they own STO but hey shouldn't come up with ridiculous/ludicrous/idiotic excuses to substitute for just mere laziness :D
    DUwNP.gif

• dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    havokreign wrote: »
    I think after LoR, all characters should start out as 'free spirits'. Let everyone choose their own allegiance at level 10 like the rommies do.

If we went along these lines with folks starting neutral and then picking sides at 10 then we pretty much have any Delta quadrant faction available which would give a lot more scope for Cryptic to go overboard on ship designs. In this case though it is likely Kazon will stay as a zone wide enemy faction in the same vein as the Naussicans are. Of course if we had kazon reps and had to choose one of (several) sides then that is a rudimentary territory control system as that is what they are all about.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cardassians seem the logical answer to me. They were the next major power to be introduced after the romulans and klingons, and they are in a similar place to where the romulans are and seem to be going down the route of being 'good guys' again, but i just worry that they dont have a lot going for them as a faction.

its literally one species and 3 ships. cryptic would have to do a lot with them.

I guess they could include the species they use as allies. The ferengi, the Lessepians, the Kressari etc. Maybe throw some others in like the Miradorns and try to create a new cardassian alliance.

The Dominion could be a good faction but they do tend to fall on the 'bad guy' side and im not sure how well they would fit into the current content thats been made.
    edited August 2013
    What do Delta Quadrant races have to do with anything? With what faction are you playing as those?

The 'Alien' race notwithstanding. They are like the 'Worfs' of the galaxy.

It makes more sense imo, to have that free-spirit approach to add a little context to each player character by means of choice.

Unless at some point you plan on uniting the Romulans, which make for the best and most appropriate 3rd faction at this time.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm very sorry but your premise is highly flawed...Do you think Cardassians and Romulans are "good" guys?...using your own logic and words: ridiculous/ludicrous/idiotic. e.g.
    Sorry but true if you don't think they are antagonistic enemies of FED and KDF then you don't know much about Trek Universe. You can come up with any excuse not to play as Borg but these (Cardassians or even Romulans) are far from "good" guys in the core of Trek culture.

If Devs don't want to make a Borg race that is their call and choice since they own STO but hey shouldn't come up with ridiculous/ludicrous/idiotic excuses to substitute for just mere laziness :D

The Romulan Republic has never had hostile contact with the Federation or KDF, except for two incidents involving its Reman component (The Vault and Frozen), both of which are instigated by the player (in one case you're not even required to do so but can engage the Tal Shiar instead), and which appears to occur before Obisek's open support of New Romulus anyway (Romulans characters end up having the same hostile contact).

The current legitimate Cardassian government is under Federation protection and has its economy almost completely in Ferengi pockets. Its military is shackled by the Treaty of Bajor, their involvement in Task Force Omega is mostly just to let them know that other people are going to be blowing up Borg in their space. And we know of proponents of a full Federation alliance if not membership, as well as opponents who wish the Union to seek other allies.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Incredibly easy to do, as long as they don't ever want to PvP. :)

Cryptic doesn't want more than Two-Faction PvP, which is what limits how all future Factions can join the game. Either Cryptic creates two mini-Factions at a time: one for Feds and one for KDF, or they create a Faction that chooses Fed or KDF like the Roms do.

There's no way around that and still maintain the PvP restrictions they want.

Well, I thought about that a bit and just like for the FE missions you might have to decide which major faction you'd like to do some covert operations/investigaions for...:P

I was thinking "non-aligned" means you don't start out as the member of any of the groups in the game but somehwere on a world that has nothing to do with the Feds, Klings, Roms, Cards, Thol etc. But might get bullied by some of them like the True Way or some Nausicaan Raiders. I know in the end the player will have to decide which side of the PvP conflict he'll support but he'd start out as someone who does not belong to any of the major or even minor powers in the galaxy.
  • gonjaagonjaa Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't see the Xindi working as we know they will eventually join the Federation. It may not happen yet in time but since they do join in the end, it makes piecing the middle parts together a risky engagement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013

What you've done there is ignore STO and base your statements on events up to 160 years in the past ;)
    The Romulans you play are in no way evil, and the Cardassian Union in STO is a federation ally.

chris919uk wrote: »
    Some form of Cardassian/Dominion faction would more than likely work. I see enough Jem ships in game as it is already.

Therein lies a problem i referenced before - cryptic have said they'd never make faction specific ships lock-box, and since there's already Jem'Hadar & cardassian ships, they'd either have to ignore some of there most iconic designs, or just break their rules. Which, there's absolutely no reason why the couldn't, but moral fibre damn it!!
    Of course for balance you'd have to implement a true Dominion faction and True Way Alliance for those that really want to be the bad guys.

No bad guys! Naughty ;)
    Xindi as similon mentioned would also work. I could see Aquatics, Arboreals and Primates going Fed while Reptillians and Insectoids went KDF. Of course Daniels points out in Enterprise that the Xindi joined the Federation, so would the KDF Xindi be rebels? Also how would you implement away teams for Aquatics? Portable Goldfish bowl?

Aquatics [/i]couldn't[/i] be playable. You could happily use their beautiful ships though :)
    As for Borg. Thats a potential minefield. We have Liberated Borg for Gold Members. If you let everyone roll one I can see the mobs with pitchforks storming the forums.

Plus how would you implement Borg sensibly? We have a Borg gear rep system in place with Omega. So how would you create unique ships? Maybe go the way of Enterprise episode "Regeneration" and have makeshift Borg ships or a single Tier 1-Tier 5 that gradually improves with upgrades over time.

The other option is playable Borg themed rebels like those that followed Hugh in the Next Generation. A Collective Borg would be pretty bad since you'd have to follow the Queen's commands and agree to work together. Thats a major problem in itself.

The way I see it, a borg faction could never really work. Even the ones in Regeneration made a small atmospheric craft capable of matching some of the best ships in the quadrant in under a week.

Plus the other reasons everyone loves to discuss, so I don't need to cover them.
    My worry with a playable Borg race is that the game would be filled with people using Borg Tac Cubes. Not a good idea, however cool some of you might think it is.

Nothing larger than a sphere could be implemented with any semblance of balance and/or accuracy...

Wookies !

gonjaa wrote: »
    I don't see the Xindi working as we know they will eventually join the Federation. It may not happen yet in time but since they do join in the end, it makes piecing the middle parts together a risky engagement.

We actuall don't know that as a fact.:) It only happened in one of the alternate futures where the sphere builders were not defeated by Archer and his crew in the 22nd century.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    We actuall don't know that as a fact.:) It only happened in one of the alternate futures where the sphere builders were not defeated by Archer and his crew in the 22nd century.

To be fair, Daniels did strongly imply that that specific future was the one he was trying to safeguard.
    edited August 2013

The Xindi have had many internal disputes - no reason why some couldn't wonder off again.
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    Wookies !

Please define "feasible" ;)
    ferengi . has to be. they are a hugely cannonicaly important to trek
    edited August 2013
    Even if the Xindi do join the Federation by the 26th Century, that doesn't mean all 5 races did - or that even all 5 races live to the 26th Century.