Install Arc
Options

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Comments

• Options
    dcmstechdcmstech Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Well since you have plenty of books in the subject you know very well the SDF Macross is a problematic subject with Big West and Harmony Gold, this is one of the main reasons why Macross is "unlicensable" due to HG (other is music).

Big West and its partners, Tatsunoko Pro and Studio Nue all claim they have the sole rights to license Macross internationally. HG would like to bring more Macross but licensing from these groups has been tough. (Well according to HG at various Anime Expo panels over the years I attended.)

But for Yamato 2199, I do like the way the are fleshing out the story a bit more. Got the 2010 live action movie and liked it, and the 2009 "Rebirth" movie and liked the new story there. I'm trying to save up for the director's cut (it has the alternate ending that was left off the previous release despite promotional as saying it would be there).
  • Options
    sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dcmstech wrote: »
    Big West and its partners, Tatsunoko Pro and Studio Nue all claim they have the sole rights to license Macross internationally. HG would like to bring more Macross but licensing from these groups has been tough. (Well according to HG at various Anime Expo panels over the years I attended.)

But for Yamato 2199, I do like the way the are fleshing out the story a bit more. Got the 2010 live action movie and liked it, and the 2009 "Rebirth" movie and liked the new story there. I'm trying to save up for the director's cut (it has the alternate ending that was left off the previous release despite promotional as saying it would be there).

When you are talking about the director's cut...are you talking about for the live-action film, or Rebirth (also called Resurrection)?
  • Options
    dcmstechdcmstech Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm talking about the Fukkatsu-hen (Rebirth/Resurrection) apparently in the first DVD/Blu-ray release it was supposed to be released with the the other ending that was not selected by fans at a screening [In the extras on the Blu-ray you see the producer/director polling the audience and the ending that was shown in theaters and the home market was the winner]. The director's cut is basically the same movie with the other ending.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dcmstech wrote: »
    I'm talking about the Fukkatsu-hen (Rebirth/Resurrection) apparently in the first DVD/Blu-ray release it was supposed to be released with the the other ending that was not selected by fans at a screening [In the extras on the Blu-ray you see the producer/director polling the audience and the ending that was shown in theaters and the home market was the winner]. The director's cut is basically the same movie with the other ending.

Ah! I see! My guess is that the alternate ending will include Kodai getting his wife, Yuki back (just my guess as that is what I saw when I read the comic version of the actual film)
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sampa4 wrote: »
    Ah! I see! My guess is that the alternate ending will include Kodai getting his wife, Yuki back (just my guess as that is what I saw when I read the comic version of the actual film)

Yeah, I saw the 2009 film, but I too figure the ending is somehow they discover Captain Yuki Mori didn't die in the black hole - and Kodai and te crew manage to rescue her.

I can also see why Yamato fans rejected is, because as the old fan saying goes:

- It ain't Yamato unless/until Yuki dies. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, I saw the 2009 film, but I too figure the ending is somehow they discover Captain Yuki Mori didn't die in the black hole - and Kodai and te crew manage to rescue her.

I can also see why Yamato fans rejected is, because as the old fan saying goes:

- It ain't Yamato unless/until Yuki dies. ;)

Well, technically, Yuki was not ON the Yamato when it entered the black hole...her ship wasn't even anywhere NEAR the wandering black hole at all! I you recall, in both the comic AND the current film, she vanished when her ship made an emergency warp out of that ambush!
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, technically, Yuki was not ON the Yamato when it entered the black hole...her ship wasn't even anywhere NEAR the wandering black hole at all! I you recall, in both the comic AND the current film, she vanished when her ship made an emergency warp out of that ambush!

I never read the manga adaptation- but I could swear remember a sequence where it shows her caught in an explosion (that tastefully starts to rip away her uniform) - before the shot of her ship disappearing, in the film itself.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I never read the manga adaptation- but I could swear remember a sequence where it shows her caught in an explosion (that tastefully starts to rip away her uniform) - before the shot of her ship disappearing, in the film itself.

There is that scene, plus in the movie, from the wreckage of the ship, they recover the uniform hat she was wearing, (but no bodies...)

'Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection' was written as a sequel to the last of the original Yamato movies of the 1980s. It could very well be they were hoping for future movie productions to continue the story, but 'Resurrection' didn't stay on the Movie charts for very long, and with the success of the very expensive 2199 Movie/TV series, further continuation of the 'Resurrection' story seems unlikely...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well since you have plenty of books in the subject you know very well the SDF Macross is a problematic subject with Big West and Harmony Gold, this is one of the main reasons why Macross is "unlicensable" due to HG (other is music).

I said that because as Yamato had some oddities of its time, like "only one women" as 2199 expanded the female cast considerable, in SDF Macross this isnt the case and this is why I say it doesnt need a remake, there is very little you could change without changing the entire series.

So I see no point unless you just want newer animtion but I dont see Macross having that bad animation, that is why I said it looks dated (because it is) but the series itself doesnt need updating, it have no real flaws like "oh right, these guys are supposed to be blue" that happened in Yamato and there is not much you can do with the characters either.
    have you tried: http://robotech.wikia.com/wiki/Robotech:_The_Shadow_Chronicles

That was awesome!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In comparison, here are the trailers for Star Blazer 2199... It will be released with a English dub...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdbJEsWBlRE&feature=player_embedded&list=PLqBf4cYMeq2cB0m7vSoD7cnvSEAN-g7Eq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fweCj5yWFk4

And the Japanese Space Battleship Yamato 2199 opening, which starts out with a homage to the opening of the original series...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnpEU8DPzZ4

And the original series opening from the mid 1970s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJVc_FHTrk

(And for true Anime Fans, it will always be the Yamato, not the Argo...)

I just saw a few episodes of the old "Star Blazers", the Yamato in this form of the show was indeed called the Argo, so the name chance is just a carry-over from the 1970's Star Blazers. I guess I forgot about that, but, it HAS been more than 20 years for me. I don't know when or where or if a Star Blazers version of "2199" is going to be released, but, I wouldn't even bother watching it if I already have SBY2199 to watch.

That being said, I guess, for me the Space Battleship will always be the Yamato, but...

Argo is not really a bad name for a ship. I appreciate a good classical reference.
    His methods have become unsound.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I just saw a few episodes of the old "Star Blazers", the Yamato in this form of the show was indeed called the Argo, so the name chance is just a carry-over from the 1970's Star Blazers. I guess I forgot about that, but, it HAS been more than 20 years for me. I don't know when or where or if a Star Blazers version of "2199" is going to be released, but, I wouldn't even bother watching it if I already have SBY2199 to watch.

That being said, I guess, for me the Space Battleship will always be the Yamato, but...

Argo is not really a bad name for a ship. I appreciate a good classical reference.

The first English dubbed episode Star Blazers 2199 was shown at a US Anime convention last month, so the production is underway... Bang Zoom Entertainment has been contracted to produce the English dub, and they have a very good reputation on their previous anime dubbing work, so this is good news...

Now Voyager Entertainment (who has the International license for Star Blazers 2199, as well as the original Star Blazers) is listed as being involved in the production of Yamato 2199. So if you want a licensed and legal copy of Yamato 2199, (as well as help promote the future production of this series), then outside of Japan, your only choice is the Star Blazers 2199 release...

And for true Macross fans, 'The Shadow Chronicles', as well as the butchered cut and paste with the unrelated 'Southern Cross' and 'Mospeada' called 'Robotech' is blasphemy to the original Macross series. The true descendents to Macross is the movie 'Macross: Do you remember Love', and the TV series, 'Macross 7' and 'Macross Flontier' (a major award winner in Japan) as well as the prequel OVA series 'Macross Zero'...
  • Options
    edited August 2013

There was an explosion...it occurred JUST as her ship was going to warp and she vanished!

Please see this link for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Battleship_Yamato:_Resurrection
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Now I never watched 7 because ... weeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllll ... 1995 and from what I read its kinda of a product of its time.

Though Macross 7 is the only sequel series to have 3 characters from the original Macross... (And 2 of them come as a big surprise when you realize who they are...) The Macross Zero prequel has 1 character from Macross...

The Macross 7 movie is short, and was shown as a double header with the Macross Plus movie. And the Macross Plus movie is simply a slightly condensed version of the Macross Plus OVA series. Encore are the Macross 7 episodes that missed, or didn't fit in with the original TV broadcast.

The Veritech fighter craft that are the core of Macross Plus series do show up towards the end of Macross 7. And in turn, the 'Dome' city ship and secondary vessels of Macross 7 become the backdrop for Macross Flontier.... Macross 7 also has scene that is a direct reference to the DYRL movie...

Now Macross Zero... Macross Flontier is just as much a sequel to the story from Macross Zero (as there's a HUGE reference to it) as it is from the original Macross. And if you haven't seen Macross Zero, then you completely missed the emotional impact of the opening scene of episode 10 of Macross Flontier...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I seen Zero, I seen Zero before Frontier ...

Zero helps to understand Roy Focker, I know there is some references on Frontier but nothing that really did not connect those two beyond name references, I was hoping for a stronger connection but that didnt happen.

The reference is more subtle... You need to go back to the Flontier episodes where they discuss the origins of the Vajra virus that infect Ranka Lee & Sheryl Norma, as well as the origins of Sheryl earrings and the irony of Ranka Lee, and the character she plays when filming the movie... Also, look at that 'Artifact' from Macross Zero, and compare it to the Vajra Queen...

(but if you just want to look at the spoiler... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao_Nome#Macross_Zero and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Macross_Frontier_characters#Main_characters )

The second Macross Flontier movie, in the Prison breakout scene, there's a big spoof of the Firebomber rock band from Macross 7, (including the Zentradi drummer)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And for true Macross fans, 'The Shadow Chronicles', as well as the butchered cut and paste with the unrelated 'Southern Cross' and 'Mospeada' called 'Robotech' is blasphemy to the original Macross series. The true descendents to Macross is the movie 'Macross: Do you remember Love', and the TV series, 'Macross 7' and 'Macross Flontier' (a major award winner in Japan) as well as the prequel OVA series 'Macross Zero'...
    and here I thought Star Trek fans were harsh and unforgiving..... ouch...

Anyways, I liked it. I also got a copy of the prequel comic.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nothing like taking a scuttled world war 2 ship from the ocean and converting it into a space ship.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    sonnikku wrote: »
    Nothing like taking a scuttled world war 2 ship from the ocean and converting it into a space ship.

Actually, in all technicality, the Space Battleship Yamato is actually a "modern" space battleship that was secretly built INSIDE the wreck of the WWII battleship, Yamato!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ok, this is sort of a bump to keep this thread from going to the point of further posting becoming a necro-. Just a slight update, the series is now out to the point of episode 22. The remaining 4 episodes of this series SHOULD be "published" by the end of the month. :D Also, LOVING this series SO much! So much, that I am wondering:

What would you think if there was a crossover between Space Battleship Yamato/Starblazers and Star Trek? If you are an artist, might I please request a picture of such? If not, just post what you would think about it (just initial thoughts). I personally feel that the two could easily mix, more or less, as the idea of Star Trek may have been inspired by the Space Battleship Yamato series (wiki link below on last statement)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Battleship_Yamato

So, tell me what you think about it?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,391 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ...the idea of Star Trek may have been inspired by the Space Battleship Yamato series...
    Reread that wiki. Space Battleship Yamato (I'm not going to try to reproduce the kanji of the original title) was first conceived in 1973, and was supposed to be more Lord of the Flies in tone. The first draft of Star Trek, featuring Capt. Robert April of the SS Yorktown, was written in 1964, and TOS aired from 1966 to 1969. So unless there were some temporal shenanigans going on, any inspiration would have to have flowed the other way.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Reread that wiki. Space Battleship Yamato (I'm not going to try to reproduce the kanji of the original title) was first conceived in 1973, and was supposed to be more Lord of the Flies in tone. The first draft of Star Trek, featuring Capt. Robert April of the SS Yorktown, was written in 1964, and TOS aired from 1966 to 1969. So unless there were some temporal shenanigans going on, any inspiration would have to have flowed the other way.

Like I said, it MAY have been an inspiration for Star Trek. That wiki link was more to serve as a way of citing my info! lol
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,391 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Like I said, it MAY have been an inspiration for Star Trek. That wiki link was more to serve as a way of citing my info! lol
    No, "may" does not apply. It CANNOT have been an inspiration, as it came about nine years later, and four years after the series ended. How could SBY have possibly "inspired" something that ended before SBY began?

Now, it may possibly have been inspired by TOS - but given the description of the original idea (Space Asteroid Icarus), that doesn't seem terribly likely either...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    No, "may" does not apply. It CANNOT have been an inspiration, as it came about nine years later, and four years after the series ended. How could SBY have possibly "inspired" something that ended before SBY began?

Now, it may possibly have been inspired by TOS - but given the description of the original idea (Space Asteroid Icarus), that doesn't seem terribly likely either...

ok, so I did not do full research into the exact dates... I will surrender that fact!
    valoreah wrote: »
    I loved watching Starblazers as a kid. IMO it's an IP that lends itself to get turned into an MMORPG. To hell with phasers and quantum torpedoes. Give me a wave motion gun any day! :D

Amen to that, save for the unfortunate fact that the ship is pretty much disabled for a while after firing the Wave Motion Gun (or as I like to call it, the Wave Motion Cannon). Unless you are referring to the version of the Yamato (or Argo) that appeared in the newest film, Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection, then you MUST remember that the gun saps the ship of almost all of its power (including, obviously, warp energy). As such, if you remember from the original series, each and every time the Yamato/Argo was to use the Wave Motion Gun, they shut down all non-essential systems, including the Shock Cannons and secondary anti-fighter guns, and rerouted that power to the gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Battleship_Yamato_(spaceship)

This effect was "corrected" when the Yamato was rebuilt in the film, Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection. In fact, they were able to get the gun to fire up to 5 shots and still have enough power to go to warp, fire up to 6 shots and then wait to recharge, or combine all 6 shots into one super-powered shot (which, in the film, almost tore the ship apart). In the same sense, the rebuilt Yamato's Warp drive is much faster than the original Yamato, lost when Cpt. Okita destroyed the ship to save the Earth from being flooded in Final Yamato. In fact, the ship's power could be restored much faster in the rebuilt version!
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    While there was no way that SBY could have inspired Star Trek, there is the U.S.S. Yamato, which may or may not be a reference to the show. There is also the Akira Class, which is a reference to that show.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    tymersto wrote: »
    While it would be interesting to see a 2199-like take on Macross, there's been a larger amount of continual series (much like Trek) to keep the Macross Continuity alive over the years. I just don't think something like that is gonna be doable in the near future.

Considering their doing a Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin anime which is a redo of Mobile Suit Gundam an active fanbase isn't necessarily going to affect those decisions.
    I just hope that they include the original Japanese soundtrack with subtitles... (and not English dub-titles, which will always include changes due to the lip sync issue...)

I'm pretty sure they always do that.

Which is why I never got the subs vs dubs thing as you can always just use your preferred version when you watch it.
    So I see no point unless you just want newer animtion but I dont see Macross having that bad animation, that is why I said it looks dated (because it is) but the series itself doesnt need updating, it have no real flaws like "oh right, these guys are supposed to be blue" that happened in Yamato and there is not much you can do with the characters either.

Well they can always help clear up how everything is supposed to look since they can't seem to pick between using SDF Macross or DYRL designs for some characters.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ok, this is sort of a bump to keep this thread from going to the point of further posting becoming a necro-. Just a slight update, the series is now out to the point of episode 22. The remaining 4 episodes of this series SHOULD be "published" by the end of the month. :D ....

The Blu-Ray release WAS scheduled to come out at the end of Sept, but due to production bottlenecks, the release has been pushed back to the end of October...

Here's the Youtube posted Japanese trailer for the last Space Battleship Yamato Blu-Ray release...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=51utm_LNX8E