What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thoughts about the new JJ abams movies

vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Ten Forward
I just saw Into The Darkness.
I know, about time heh ?

I really liked it a lot. :D

But there was one thing that In my opinion it lacked a bit on.

The soundtrack.

Don't get me wrong, It was a good soundtrack, but not on the same level as the Wrath of Khan, or Search for Spock soundtracks.

Those really drew me into what was going on screen. I think they were a big part of those movies.

JJ's movies soundtracks don't affect me in quite the same way.

Anyone else feel this way?
tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I haven't seen it but I have seen trailers on youtube for it.

Here are my thoughts.

Who lives in a constitution under the sea?
    J.J. Abrams!

With explosions and action and lens flares from he.
    J.J. Abrams!

A star trek movie is something I wish.
    J.J. Abrams!

I'd rather watch a documentary on tuna fish.
    J.J. Abrams!

I did see the first one in 2009 and didn't care much for it.
  • erikmodierikmodi Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know, about time heh ?

The soundtrack.

Don't get me wrong, It was a good soundtrack, but not on the same level as the Wrath of Khan, or Search for Spock soundtracks.

Those really drew me into what was going on screen. I think they were a big part of those movies.

Well, James Horner is a tough act to follow.
  • badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Abrams movies show that he has nothing but contempt for Star Trek fans. He has **** on over 45 years of Star Trek history and he doesn't care. He made lots of money and that is all that matters to him.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I love the JJ Abrams movies, and I love the scores in both of them. They may not be as noticeable because the movies are more action-packed, but they're very good if you listen to them on their own on YouTube.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • shasu178shasu178 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    HERESY

ok you want a grown up opinion fine

firstly I have only watched the 2009 movie I have yet to see the new "Darkness of what ever"

now my view ok so its got great Special effects the story line is fine but the ship my good what did thay do to the ship

now the story line was not half bad in a nut shell some dudes unintentionally go back to the past and start TRIBBLE the time line up this sort of causes a Trouser effect in the time line and create a new time line but not content with this thay go on to trash Vulcan before eyeing up Earth and its up to a rebel known as James Tiberius "Jim" Kirk... oh wait thay changed the name its Jim Tiberius Kirk..... why why? every one knows hes called James T Kirk you.... Grrrr-nerd rage-rrrr

now the ship ok the exterior shows signs of update but its not to bad but the interior.... my ****ing god....... did anyone who worked on that set ever watch TOS and if thay did why why did thay make the interior like that its feaking horrid
    it looked like some sort of chemical plant and the bridge **** its all white with that plexi glass all over

thats not the TOS Enterprise that just nasty!!!

ok I get its the re-imagine of a show that I watched back in the 90s and grew up with

a part of me supports this as I see it as a way of refreshing something old but at the same time I see it as bat-TRIBBLE insanely bad....

nay this is Hersey

story- ok cast- ok ship- FKING Wrong

lord knows what eles thay did to it in the new movie wait your telling me it goes underwater now!!!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    I am Klang son of Tor it would be unwise if you crossed me
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know, about time heh ?

The soundtrack.

BLEH another JJ fan

u lot have no taste at all. JJ is the worst director ive ever seen i dispise all his films and tv shows.

the guy has no talent what so ever
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    shasu178 wrote: »
    ...its up to a rebel known as James Tiberius "Jim" Kirk... oh wait thay changed the name its Jim Tiberius Kirk..... why why? every one knows hes called James T Kirk you.... Grrrr-nerd rage-rrrr

Is this a joke? I can't tell if you're being ironic or serious here.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for starting yet another thread on the JJ Abrams films. :rolleyes: Where we will soon see:

- One person stating a positive view of the films.

- Someone going into a hipster nerd rage and throwing a scream hissy fit describing JJ Abrams as Star Trek's version of the Anti Christ.

- Someone else comparing JJ Abrams to Paula Deen or Lucifer. Except said person is willing to forgive Paula Deen or Lucifer.

- Other people dogpiling on to express their dislike. After someone throws a screaming hissy fit.

- One more three hundred post thread on what is and is not 'canon'. And posts by people who are cheerfully willing to commit the Internet version of a baby seal massacre to prove their view is the only correct one.

- The rest of us watching in amazed amusement as these forums host one more hipster FanBoi nerdrage b***hslap fight.

Of course, your intent could be to round up all them JJ haters into one thread. Which does keep them from bothering the decent folk and makes it much easier to keep an eye on them. In which case, Sir, I salute your brilliant plan. ;)
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,493 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I never did understand the rage.
    Everything we know still exists, the new timeline is an alternate reality that opens the door for new stories.

At first I wasn't a fan of the new design, but then saw her come up from Titan and was like "Awesome".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I never did understand the rage.
    Everything we know still exists, the new timeline is an alternate reality that opens the door for new stories.

At first I wasn't a fan of the new design, but then saw her come up from Titan and was like "Awesome".
    I find that fans who rage hatred for the new movie have no understanding of the basic fundamentals of the franchise that they love. Seriously, IDIC or exploring strange new worlds.

There are episodes of Trek I do not like, but I still accept them despite the fact that are not good. The new movies, I don't hate them but I really don't care for them, but I see them as what they are new Trek blood which is exactly what this franchise needed.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,493 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Agreed.
    IDIC man. IDIC.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • draugadandraugadan Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I haven't seen it but I have seen trailers on youtube for it.

Here are my thoughts.

Who lives in a constitution under the sea?
    J.J. Abrams!

With explosions and action and lens flares from he.
    J.J. Abrams!

A star trek movie is something I wish.
    J.J. Abrams!

I'd rather watch a documentary on tuna fish.
    J.J. Abrams!

I did see the first one in 2009 and didn't care much for it.

I agree with the above. I saw his first when it came out, I hated it. I wont see another of his movies.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    draugadan wrote: »
    I agree with the above. I saw his first when it came out, I hated it. I wont see another of his movies.

IDIC Indeed
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited August 2013
    With all the chatter about the current Star Trek films and the upcoming Star Wars films, I'm surprised no one has mentioned one other beloved franchise that Mr. Abrams will be linked to.

Quote from the Wikipedia page:
    On February 6, 2013, Bad Robot Productions announced that they are teaming up with Valve to make the Half-Life film and Portal film with JJ Abrams producing the films.