test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev clarification needed on Donatra's cloak behavior

Comments

• timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    do you have points in threat control or embassy consoles that add threat?

I suspect ou keep building up aggro even while she is cloaked, and since no one else is due to not firing on her anymore that might be enough to make her switch target to you.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What's irritating to me is she can ignore tractor beams,theta radiation,gravity well 3,and viral matrix hitting her ship all at once especially when the time stop ability of my Wells is active. I can understand her activating one counter power. But ignoring all and cloaking... why is her ship allowed to ignore game mechanics? We can't cloak under fire......
  • ga1enga1en Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No points in threat control or embassy consoles. Just my Scimitar. As a confirmation I tried it with my D'deridex and she did rarely aimed at me. Just a strange behavior that I noticed. I really does not bother me as I can easily evade her Thalaron attack.
  • seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What's irritating to me is she can ignore tractor beams,theta radiation,gravity well 3,and viral matrix hitting her ship all at once especially when the time stop ability of my Wells is active. I can understand her activating one counter power. But ignoring all and cloaking... why is her ship allowed to ignore game mechanics? We can't cloak under fire......

Because it's not a true cloak-if it were it would be broken way too easily and she'd never get to do anything. She switches allegiance to neutral, breaks targeting, clears all effects, and moves as though she were resetting. Then she goes enemy again to fire.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    seitei1 wrote: »

Because it's not a true cloak-if it were it would be broken way too easily and she'd never get to do anything. She switches allegiance to neutral, breaks targeting, clears all effects, and moves as though she were resetting. Then she goes enemy again to fire.

She used to remain the target of anything that had locked onto her before she cloaked already.
    Like torpedos tracking her movement, power drain visuals eminating from her, and tractor beam repulsors bouncing of her hull.
    Are you sure she just doesn't have 10.000 stealth points or something?
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In that case; is there any aoe weapons/abilities that can be used on anyone, neutral or not? it might entice griefers, but losing the rommy fleet action due to that POS cheating scimtar really annoys me no end
  • ga1enga1en Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Tractor Beam Repulsors. Activate it when she is cloaked. When the repulsors trigger to an invisible object, that's Donatra.

I usually set up my Thalaron attack at that point.

Also the Repulsors DON'T move her, just highlight her position.

*edit* Unless it's her cloaked tractor mines in which case you will see explosions as the mines are detonated by the repulsors. Ignore those.

*note* Sometimes Donatra will be hiding among those mines. Look for the repulsor WITHOUT any explosions. A little hard but after a while you get the feel for things.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ga1en wrote: »
    Tractor Beam Repulsors. Activate it when she is cloaked. When the repulsors trigger to an invisible object, that's Donatra.

*edit* Unless it's her cloaked tractor mines in which case you will see explosions as the mines are detonated by the repulsors. Ignore those.

*note* Sometimes Donatra will be hiding among those mines. Look for the repulsor WITHOUT any explosions. A little hard but after a while you get the feel for things.

Or just launch a V'ger heavy plasma ball at her just before she cloaks.
    The amount of times I've thought "You go little plasma ball!" as it's chased her down through her cloak is unreal :D
    I need a beer.

• stonedpenguinstonedpenguin Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2013
    As much as I hate it, I get quite disappointed when the group has so much DPS we can kill her before she cloaks even once or the AI probability fails. Theres also the times when people sit right on top of her and she bugs out unable to cloak.
  • oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If that is actually happening, yes it's a bug.

I've investigated this claim in the past, and never been able to reproduce it. It's logically impossible, unless she's actually skipping a step in her AI logic chain. Which should never be possible. The exit condition to the "Fire Thalaron" step requires the successful completion of the "Face Target and Decloak" step. If she doesn't do one, she should be incapable of doing the other.

I can asure you it happens.

She decloaks, kills everybody in the Talaron weapon range and starts to charge up her talaron weapon after as usual.

I and others, got instant killed by this quite a few times, in worst case, as much as 4 people simply died to it.

I try to Nail it down as much as possible, but that would be:

She decloaks
    the Talaron Animation starts
    everybody in the Area dies
    she charges up the talaron weapon
    and fires it as usual

There is not even half a second between the decloak animation and the killing blow, as soon as you see her, while the decloak animation is still playing (the ship becoming visible) you are Death.

Mayyyyyybe, i dont know enough about those matters, it happens, when both conditions are met at the same time, and the target is within a certain range?

It usualy happens,. if someone is rather close to her and inside the Talaron range.

If it happens again, i try to grab a few sreenshots and note down the time of it, if that helps.

Maybe we can even reproduce it with Player vessels, as ga1en stated it happened to him?
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    She also runs away on occasion. Not sure if anybody recorded that already, but I've seen it happen twice. The process is as follows: she cloaks, reappears and starts moving at full speed (perhaps even EPTE?) towards the edge of the map. When she reaches the edge she gets stuck and can't move any further.

It's quite hilarious actually.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And to add another bug to Donatra's Thalaron attack - I have experienced times where I'll get hit (insta-killed) when I'm outside the cone of death and/or past 10k (like at 12-14k).

Again, it's rare to me, but this has happened as well.

:o

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Its funny how issues like this get attention, and the fact that both Hive missions are completely broken since LoR has been ignored time and time again.

I've seen Donatra misfire a few times, but its pretty easy to know where she is going and get out of the way before shes even there now.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And to add another bug to Donatra's Thalaron attack - I have experienced times where I'll get hit (insta-killed) when I'm outside the cone of death and/or past 10k (like at 12-14k).

Again, it's rare to me, but this has happened as well.

the range is a bit larger then the cone, to me it seems, the waves coming from donatras Ship count as "in range" too and those are quite a bit larger then the cone itself.

About the running away from Donatra, can confirm that, had it twice, but both times, she stayed cloaked up and just reapearred at the edge of the maps, one of the two times fully healed.
    edited August 2013
    ONE MORE Donatra-related issue I was reminded of last night... Though I'm not sure this is really an issue with Donatra per se, it's more a game engine/mechanics, thing, I think.

Anyway... Pets and other AI "devices" (like High Yield Plasma Torpedoes) will follow Donnie even after she cloaks. The blue "umbilical cord" created by Energy Siphon remains attached to her as well.

This means she can be traced while she's cloaked.

Surely it's a boon for players to know where she's going, but it's kind of unfair for her, and takes away some of the fun/challenge of not knowing where she's gonna pop-up next.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can assure you, Borticus, that this is happening. I witnessed it just minutes ago. It's probably lag causing things to appear out of order, not that that makes it any better.

I and two teammates where in the cone when she decloaked and immediately fired (I had aggro). It killed both of them, but oddly did not touch me even though I was clearly in the field of fire. That's part of what makes us think this is lag related. The server may think things are happening in the right order, but by the time it reaches the client it's mixed up.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I've investigated this claim in the past, and never been able to reproduce it. It's logically impossible, unless she's actually skipping a step in her AI logic chain. Which should never be possible. The exit condition to the "Fire Thalaron" step requires the successful completion of the "Face Target and Decloak" step. If she doesn't do one, she should be incapable of doing the other.

I have had that bug of her Thalaron Pulse going off early and then going off a second time moments later. It is random as far as I am aware. It is also rare that it happens.
    edited August 2013

I just completed a KASE mission during which Donatra fired her Thalaron blast within 2s of decloaking. There was no charge up wait time. In fact, after she insta-gibbed myself and other teammates, the charge-up effect continued for the full 12s. This happened twice in a row during this particular run. Cloak, decloak a couple seconds later and fires her death ray immediately, kill three of us, finishes her charge-up, cloaks a few seconds later, decloaks, immediate death ray, kills me and another, finishes charge-up animation, cloaks a few mo later. On her third cycle she had a normal charge-up/fire cycle.

Anyway, before I left the instance I bug reported it (ticket ID #1,906,862). I don't know if you can glean any kind of history/log from that, but there ya go.

• martin1970giesenmartin1970giesen Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Sometimes she will power-up here taloron attack and fire in about 2 seconds.. always fun.. the only time she will get me with that attack.
    Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9355971&postcount=463
    Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
    Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
  • dauntlessf05dauntlessf05 Member Posts: 268 Media Corps
    edited August 2013
    Not a cloak issue, but a Donatra one

The other night my fleet was doing Kase, she uncloaked, must've hit full impulse and zoomed off and got stuck on the edge of the map lol

It kind of made the battle annoying with that red warning about leaving the area, but a funny bug at the same time :P
    Check out my STO Cinematic Videos: ZEFilms Youtube Channel
    Follow me on Twitter: @ZEFilms_STO
  • satanailofhwbgsatanailofhwbg Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For the "Cloaking too often" issue - check the description of GW. Works at least 75% of the time.
  • zombiedeadheadedzombiedeadheaded Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There are 2 aspects of Donatra's behavior which seem relatively new, (at least to me). I have noticed that she will seem to be conforming to the 5km rule, BUT she will cloak when Torpedoes get within that limit.
    The other thing she now does, which can be pretty funny, is she will suddenly take off in a burst of speed, and head off the map. (if you follow you will get the red warning about nothing on sensors, warpout.)
  • robertlllrobertlll Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I've run into it a few times as well. Completely random and rare, but I have seen it happen.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Except, of course, when she comes out of cloak and immediately fires the Thalaron weapon. But I'm going to assume that's a bug.

It IS a bug, right? :):eek:

I've encountered that, but it was recently and not before.

AND I swear she fired off at least 2 bursts in succession once but that had to be something on my end.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • ericphailericphail Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well Donatra can be annoying, but she opposes 5 well geared players with no time limit

I imagine the one in the (fleet alert?) where cloak hide runs down the timer is very unfair

but the one that annoyed me most is actually in one of the normal missions
    (First strike, I think) the npc allies got wiped in short order (and don't respawn)
    leaving me one on one with a scimitar (Fed engineer in a galaxy - Captain ~34) that somehow managed to nearly fully heal while I was dead. For reference this was elite difficulty, as normal for my levelling chars.

Will be going back to that for another go in a while...
  • chilleechillee Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Oh yes, it happens. I cannot reproduce the event per se, but it has happened about once every ~25 (Elite) matches for me. I'm almost always at less than 5 KM to her when she decloaks, and get hit within 2-3 seconds of decloaking. Donatra continues to reload and fire another burst 12s later. My main alt here carries Threat 6, yes, its a little too much hassle:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I've had it happen three times in recent memory.

Each time she drops cloak, fires THEN the charge up starts and ends without a fire, as it has already occurred.

We all know Donatra cheats, but she's not going to do it to someone who can modify her behavior as such that she can't anymore.
  • chilleechillee Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Irony of ironies, played KVE yesterday four times... it happened in game 4. Yuck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ga1en wrote: »

Also the Anti proton sweep will shroud her in the red glowing swarm that leads you right to her, as with Transphasic cluster torps, Boarding parties, etc
    She also runs away on occasion. Not sure if anybody recorded that already, but I've seen it happen twice. The process is as follows: she cloaks, reappears and starts moving at full speed (perhaps even EPTE?) towards the edge of the map. When she reaches the edge she gets stuck and can't move any further.

It's quite hilarious actually.

Happened to me once, the whole team was just astonished, and greatly amused
    ericphail wrote: »
    Well Donatra can be annoying, but she opposes 5 well geared players with no time limit

I imagine the one in the (fleet alert?) where cloak hide runs down the timer is very unfair

but the one that annoyed me most is actually in one of the normal missions
    (First strike, I think) the npc allies got wiped in short order (and don't respawn)
    leaving me one on one with a scimitar (Fed engineer in a galaxy - Captain ~34) that somehow managed to nearly fully heal while I was dead. For reference this was elite difficulty, as normal for my levelling chars.

Will be going back to that for another go in a while...

Similar thing happened to me fighting That Tal shiar boss with the eye, Hakeev of something?, anyways all my supporting NPCs died leaving me one on one with him and his guards
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    timelord79 wrote: »
    AT the moment the player base seems to be split on how Donatra is suppoded to behave and actually behaving.

For the longest time she was always cloaking very fast when her target got closer to her than 5km.
    Then some day this was patched out apparently, but lately I imagine that she is again (or still) cloaking when her target gets too close.

That is particularly fun when her target is convinced that his distance doesn't effect her behavior. Last match I did the other day she was cloaking like mad and I always spotted her target way closer then 5km when she did.

Am I mistaking correlation with causation here?

What is her intented behavior, what is actually supposed to trigger her cloak if anything outside a random die roll?

Edit: The same question for any Scimitar boss like the Fleet Alert where that behavior can destroy any victory chances, because the ship wins by hiding.

If distance IS an issue, that could be QUITE an issue for those of us using escorts since the most of the weapons are forward firing and getting closer than 5 km is MORE than possible!
This discussion has been closed.