What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Maquis raider

2»

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,862 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    The worst part is that on Voyager they managed to turn the 68 meter long ship into a magic clown car with over 40 people aboard.:mad:

This made me LOL :D
  • zakharaovzakharaov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    One major flaw in your reasoning:

The Federation didn't wait forty years to bring Peregrines into the fold.

They weren't in a long term war on multiple fronts at that point without the Klingons to provide raiding capacity.

Just...no.

If you're using the Lobi consortium as your justification for anything, you've already lost the argument.

Well Cryptic have used it as justification.
    edited July 2013
    For what it's worth:

since Cryptic has pretty much killed off any good chance for a Cardassian/Dominion faction, I think the idea for a civilian/non-alligned "cops/raiders/traders/privateers/mercenaries/prospectors" faction would make a good choice for a 4th faction.
    In such a scenario the Maquis raider would make sense as a decent T1 starter ship.

It would be a lot like the Romulan faction if they did either.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zakharaov wrote: »
    They weren't in a long term war on multiple fronts at that point without the Klingons to provide raiding capacity.

Would you use a ship that was already a deathtrap (watcc "For the Uniform" to see how effective these things are against a Defiant) 40 years earlier for that?

...and at the same time the infinite resources of the Federation were used to build replica of centuries old ships that have the same usefulness as a mid-23rd century cruiser...and a new giant exploration ship that's not really suiteable for wartime. Seems this war is just a joke at this point.
    You can't have it both ways.
    edited July 2013
    Well then why not have it anyways just because?
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Considering the Federation isn't in a multi-front war at any point in the STO timeline, while at the same time having access to enough fast attack craft to put the Dominion War Alliance to shame, your contention is entirely moot.

A justification that is completely and utterly ridiculous. It's the equivalent of saying:
    Well then why not have it anyways just because?
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If the writers where to go in detail of everything like they did the Dominion War, i bet the federation would have been paying for thier fight under the table (unofficially):), like old England did when they where still battling France...they paid to use privateers to intercept thier cargo and courior ships. Thats how many of the famous pirates got thier start, its just after the war the money stopped coming in and they had to turn to raiding English ships too. it would be a good fiction, i think after i finish my fiction about Catstar, I may make one about Battlecat my ferisan (another none-lolcat series) ....now i wanna watch Pirates of the Caribbean again :3
    edited July 2013
    catstarsto wrote: »
    If the writers where to go in detail of everything like they did the Dominion War, i bet the federation would have been paying for thier fight under the table (unofficially):), like old England did when they where still battling France...they paid to use privateers to intercept thier cargo and courior ships. Thats how many of the famous pirates got thier start, its just after the war the money stopped coming in and they had to turn to raiding English ships too. it would be a good fiction, i think after i finish my fiction about Catstar, I may make one about Battlecat my ferisan (another none-lolcat series) ....now i wanna watch Pirates of the Caribbean again :3

/facepalm

The Maquis were absolutely not in any way sanctioned or armed by the Federation. In fact, Starfleet explicitly went out of their way (mostly unseuccesfully) to stamp out the Maquis. When Cardassia joined the Dominion, the Jem'Hadar slaughtered the Maquis that werent in Federation prisons down to almost the last man (about a dozen at most survived based on the events in Blaze of Glory).

By the time the Dominion War actually started, the Maquis were gone, and a complete non-factor.
    edited July 2013
    To be fair. I can see the federation issuing letters of marque and reprisals in the current situation.

We have what? Five or six fronts?
    Klingon, Undine, Breen, True Way, Tal'Shiar/Elachi, Borg and I know I'm missing a few here.
    Of those the Klingons, Undine and Borg are probably the biggest most immediate threat.
    edited July 2013
    /facepalm

The Maquis were absolutely not in any way sanctioned or armed by the Federation. In fact, Starfleet explicitly went out of their way (mostly unseuccesfully) to stamp out the Maquis. When Cardassia joined the Dominion, the Jem'Hadar slaughtered the Maquis down to almost the last man (about a dozen at most survived based on the events in Blaze of Glory).

By the time the Dominion War actually started, the Maquis were gone, and a complete non-factor.

You never know, i think it would have made for another good war season like the Dominion war on DS9, sometimes captains and admirals have thier little side agendas. They can use thier pull to relocate funds where they need em and cover it up with what ever. An episode of TNG a captain in a Nebula CLass went out and began to pop Cardassian ships...Miles O'Brien would have joined him if he wasent already scriped to stay on the Enterprise. Ensign Roe, well was no surprise that she left, she was to chaotic to be a SFO. The fun of fiction is anything can go, look how they modify all the canon each time they come out with a new series, especialy Enterprise!...and JJ Abrams!!!
    edited July 2013
    You never know, i think it would have made for another good war season like the Dominion war on DS9, sometimes captains and admirals have thier little side agendas.

On the contrary, we know *exactly* what happened with the Maquis. There's a fatal problem in you wanting something to have happened that didn't happen. Most notably, that what you want didn't happen. No amount of wishing will change that.
    An episode of TNG a captain in a Nebula CLass went out and began to pop Cardassian ships...Miles O'Brien would have joined him if he wasent already scriped to stay on the Enterprise. Ensign Roe, well was no surprise that she left, she was to chaotic to be a SFO.

Piece of trivia: Prior to STO, Laren returned to Starfleet and eventually ended up commanding DS9.
    The fun of fiction is anything can go, look how they modify all the canon each time they come out with a new series, especialy Enterprise!...and JJ Abrams!!!

None of which changes the fact that the Maquis were something entirely different from what you apparently want them to be. Short of retconning three complete television series (which flat out won't happen), that's not going to change.
    edited July 2013
    For what it's worth:

since Cryptic has pretty much killed off any good chance for a Cardassian/Dominion faction, I think the idea for a civilian/non-alligned "cops/raiders/traders/privateers/mercenaries/prospectors" faction would make a good choice for a 4th faction.
    In such a scenario the Maquis raider would make sense as a decent T1 starter ship.

How exactly would this even work?
    The Republic have an obvious storyline. Who they are and what they are doing.

What would an independent sub faction be? What would they be doing?

It sounds good but when you think about it. It doesn't really work.
    edited July 2013
    On the contrary, we know *exactly* what happened with the Maquis. There's a fatal problem in you wanting something to have happened that didn't happen. Most notably, that what you want didn't happen. No amount of wishing will change that.

Piece of trivia: Prior to STO, Laren returned to Starfleet and eventually ended up commanding DS9.

None of which changes the fact that the Maquis were something entirely different from what you apparently want them to be. Short of retconning three complete television series (which flat out won't happen), that's not going to change.

I think your taking this way too serious for fiction. Ive seen a few shows involving anti cardassian stuff, and its the impression i got. No need to jump on me.....hey wait, are you the one who used to message me about insulting the star trek franshise with my cat version of Kirk??
  • jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They should bring it in - as a Frigate for carriers.

As for the marquis, they are not "completely" wiped out. You did rescue Riker's nephew in one of the mission, who based on what he say, does have some survivor (even though they merely are living as non-federation colonist)
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited July 2013
    jestersage wrote: »
    They should bring it in - as a Frigate for carriers.

As for the marquis, they are not "completely" wiped out. You did rescue Riker's nephew in one of the mission, who based on what he say, does have some survivor (even though they merely are living as non-federation colonist)

Having just played that mission he says his parents where Marquis and that they where put into internment camps by the Cardassians. I'd say that the Marquis movement is long dead in the games timeline.

In an episode of Voyager they get a message saying the Marquis are no more.

If they make a Federation Carrier it should come with new Federation Fighters (I really don't like Peregrines) and a Federation Frigate. The Catian Carrier should get it's own Frigate. Frigates should only work with the Carrier they where made for.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.