test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nuclear Quiz

xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Ten Forward
I stumbled across something on the Youtube just now. Started out watching some videos on STO, but you know how it goes Youtubing. Anyway, I thought it might make a fun little quiz.

Q: Including both in anger and testing, how many Nuclear bombs have been detonated on this planet? Got a number in your head? Good.

Now you can see how you did.

A Time-Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion Since 1945

I'm sure some of you know the answer, but it's still an interesting presentation, if you haven't seen it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    LOL I figured it was around 50. I was only around 2000 off :eek:
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How are we alive springs to mind

AND THAT IS WHY THE WORLD IS IN RECESSION ... we spent it all on Bombs ...

duh!
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I stumbled across something on the Youtube just now. Started out watching some videos on STO, but you know how it goes Youtubing. Anyway, I thought it might make a fun little quiz.

Q: Including both in anger and testing, how many Nuclear bombs have been detonated on this planet? Got a number in your head? Good.

2 in anger,

A little over 2200 in testing.
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    How are we alive springs to mind

AND THAT IS WHY THE WORLD IS IN RECESSION ... we spent it all on Bombs ...

duh!
    Actually defense research/development/production spending almost always produces net economic benefit.

And if you spent a day wandering around the Nevada Test Range you'd absorb more radiation from the sun than you would from leftover radioactive debris. And you'd be shot before either had a chance to kill you.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not just defense spending, but most spending, government or otherwise. Money doesn't disappear when you spend it, and economy is measured by how much money moves, not how much exists.

If you want to blame nuclear development for the current recession, you've also got to look at when that money was spent. Very, very few new weapons have been produced since the early 80's, the US has been downsizing since the 60's, Russia since the 80's, and every other nuclear power combined never had half as much as either.
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As someone who has an odd fascination with Nuclear weapons i have watched this video several times.. its pretty amazing.. There are alot of good videos on youtube showing nuclear weapons testing.. netflix has some really good shows on the history of the bomb. I watched one last night and learned that Russia was able to build there first bomb years before predicted because two American scientists gave them US deisgns. The first russian bomb was virtually identical to the first american bomb. Also of some interest is the first and second Hydrogen bombs the US detonated at bikini. The second was many times more powerful than the designers had expected, and ALMOST caused a castrophe when a US naval ship ended up being to close to the blast zone, even though it was more than 20 miles away.

The Biggest bomb ever detonated was the russian Tsar bomb.. had a yield of 54 megatons,, the chief designer actually changed the plans at the last minute because he was scared of his own design. It was designed to be more than 100 megatons,,, that would have been something to see!!!!! Another useless peice of nuclear bomb knowledge.. anything over 100 megatons doesnt add to the destructiveness. According to the egghead on this show,, he said after 100 megatons the mushroom cloud grows so tall that it actually exits the atmosphere into space,,, wonder what that would do??...

Anyway.. one quantum torpedoe has more power than hundreds of hydrogen bombs,,, thank goodness no ones tried to make one of them!!!
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Missed the ones that Canada did. Oops, that was supposed to be a secret.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Anyway.. one quantum torpedoe has more power than hundreds of hydrogen bombs,,, thank goodness no ones tried to make one of them!!!

No... nobody's working on triggering a zero-point energy inversion over here.

0_o

o_0

*hides calculations in a dirty magazine and whistles.*
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That was like some weird song...
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And yet we are the "intelligent" species on the planet.
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    That was like some weird song...

It reminded me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.