test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

*~* Happy 3 Years Everyone!! *~* (Re: PvP leaderboards)

praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvP Gameplay
We're now at our 3 year anniversary of what some of us like to call Snix Day!

What's Snix Day, you ask?

Well, it was around this time in July (of 2010) that we were told directly by the Dev team that basic PvP features such as leaderboards and tournament queues were "in testing, to be released soon."

What has happened since then?

Absolutely nothing! In fact, it's gone the OPPOSITE way. PvP has seen the loss of a game type and map, Space Assault.

Instead, we've seen continual assurances that we'd see PvP maps (let alone features) "soon" since launch. "Don't worry, Season 4 will be great for PvPers!", "We'll be adding new maps and features with the next season", etc etc.

While other areas of the game have seen every whim pandered to (more hair styles, uniform pips not being properly centered, more social zones, so on and so forth), PvP has continued to go down hill thanks to poor design choices (Engineers are now useless in Space), power creep, and unbalanced P2W design.

What can be done? Well, for starters, new maps would help. Maps won't fix everything, but they'll definitely help out. We're not even asking for new custom designed maps or anything - just slapping spawn points onto existing PvE maps would be great. For example, the Vault would be an awesome shuttle-based PvP map.

It's a shame that PvP goes largely ignored in this game - for a minimal amount of Developer effort (just making new maps, maybe a new game type once every few Seasons), the returns would be far greater than PvE. The players generate their own content by fighting each other... we don't constantly need new missions, we are our own missions.

And if you look around in Arenas, you'll see tons of Fleet, Lock Box, and C-Store ships and consoles - proving that PvPers do in fact spend a TON on this game. Not just for items, but on Dil for the Starbase and Rep grinds.

So, again, happy 3 years! And Cryptic, if you happen to see this, take note and at least think it over instead of just brushing PvPers off to the side. Again.

Edit: Oh, and for the record, adding another Rep grind that no one needs nor wants and calling it "PvP Reputation" does NOT count as PvP content.

Edit again: And lets not forget about Ker'rat... broken, then 'fixed' (but not really), broken again, broken even more, and broken still. Hasn't properly functioned since launch.
Post edited by praxi5 on

Comments

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Leaderboards won't fix pvp.

Flying into pvp with a tricked out scimitar against a lolBortasq or an older c store ship breaks pvp.

Dps/ burst damage ships break pvp
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How long has it been since Kerrat was touched?

The last thing I saw there was the warp in got moved to the Fed spawn, and they "fixed" the Red-Fed glitch (or so I've head (I actually liked that one)).

They could really help PvP if they gave some love to Kerrat and made more maps like it, with useful reward to draw people in.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    How long has it been since Kerrat was touched?

Of course, how could I forget about Ker'rat?

Broken since launch; Spheres and Cubes constantly doing the 'warp stretch', enemies that you can't target but can shoot at you, messed up spawn points, etc etc.
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I dont know why they keep calling this game mmo since its a coop game.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I dont know why they keep calling this game mmo since its a coop game.

It might have something to do with it being an MMO.
    edited July 2013
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Of course, how could I forget about Ker'rat?

Broken since launch; Spheres and Cubes constantly doing the 'warp stretch', enemies that you can't target but can shoot at you, messed up spawn points, etc etc.

Stretchy cubes and invincible Borg are features, not bugs. :rolleyes:
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh wow, it IS Snix Day isn't it? Totally forgot.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • spacefleaspaceflea Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh joy.. you'd figure people would have learned their lesson after being deceived/lied to for more then 3 years..

I'll give you a hint.. You are in a wrong MMO if you want to see stuff 'happen' (aka things not linked to your credit cards). Might want to check Neverwinter, aka the new cash cow.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    spaceflea wrote: »
    Oh joy.. you'd figure people would have learned their lesson after being deceived/lied to for more then 3 years..

I'll give you a hint.. You are in a wrong MMO if you want to see stuff 'happen' (aka things not linked to your credit cards). Might want to check Neverwinter, aka the new cash cow.

Yep - the "Legacy of Romulus" update added no new actual free, playable content to STO at all...STO's been in maintenance mode for the last 3 years...

Oh, wait:eek:
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • therealsivartherealsivar Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You tend to remember the good stuff about people long after they're gone....

:eek:......but damn Snix really had a habit of making things worse than they already were with the drastic changes he choose to make rather than first making subtle alterations to things, so no I'll not celebrate 'Snix day' because we were better off when he left.

Cryptic has put at least two other Devs in charge of PvP since Snix stopped working at Cryptic, with the last being Gozer, both of which left Cryptic within weeks of getting assigned to PvP.

All Cryptic has to do is assign somebody with authority to make significant changes to the player abilities, to work on PvP, but they don't do it. That's not something to celebrate Snix over in my mind.

As for adding new PvP content; we don't need some elaborate PvP fleet system, in fact it'll probably be a bad thing; and a leaderboard will just pander to gankers and griefers who pad their stats with gate camps and swarming people 5v1 or more (if you want proof then look at Pirates of the Burning Sea). All we need are new maps, and some classic game modes like capture the flag or some sort of simple objective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Support a KDF equivalent to the Vesta Here
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yep - the "Legacy of Romulus" update added no new actual free, playable content to STO at all...STO's been in maintenance mode for the last 3 years...

Oh, wait:eek:

Well, sure, if you've always wanted to play as part of a branch of the Rebel Alliance made up by people cosplaying as romulans... then sure!

But for the rest of us that have no interest in that, guess we're stuck waiting still.
  • bobtheyakbobtheyak Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    :eek:......but damn Snix really had a habit of making things worse than they already were with the drastic changes he choose to make rather than first making subtle alterations to things, so no I'll not celebrate 'Snix day' because we were better off when he left.

We can thank him for SNB buff removal and 10-second tac teams :eek:
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jheinig, in what sounded like his free time, did some fixing on the spawning in karrat, and got some art guys to work on those objects with the glowy pillar so they shouldn't have the coalition issues and have borg ships get stuck in them anymore. sounded like that broke something, and he posted about doing a few more fixes too.

this was in the last few weeks, so at least theres been that.
    edited July 2013
    jheinig, in what sounded like his free time, did some fixing on the spawning in karrat, and got some art guys to work on those objects with the glowy pillar so they shouldn't have the coalition issues and have borg ships get stuck in them anymore. sounded like that broke something, and he posted about doing a few more fixes too.

this was in the last few weeks, so at least theres been that.

Hm, all I've noticed is that now everyone warps in at the fed spawn instead of the KDF spawn.
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PvP it's a Gold Mine waiting to be mined. Pvpers are the first people to expend on new ships, new dutys, new reputations, reskills, etc. If you don't expend in this game you're outdated.

There's no need to expend for PvE, you can do just fine with a lvl 40 ship.

I just don't get why we no have any miners yet.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It might have something to do with it being an MMO.

yea mmo without pvp...it means left for dead is a mmo.Will have to notice valve about that ,I mean they are idiots if they dont know that L4D is a mmo.:rolleyes:

the only change to pvp was to hide the pvp queue in the drop down menu on the mini map lol :D
    mrkollins wrote: »
    PvP it's a Gold Mine waiting to be mined. Pvpers are the first people to expend on new ships, new dutys, new reputations, reskills, etc.

talkin about reskills /respecs...you need a fortune in this game to spec .If you want to try few ships on the same character you cant change roles (have multiple skill tree pre made) for each ship ,you have to pay each time.This is wallet bdsm :/
  • masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Happy Snix day! Does he still work at Cryptic? :O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    praxi5 wrote: »
    The players generate their own content by fighting each other... we don't constantly need new missions, we are our own missions.

And if you look around in Arenas, you'll see tons of Fleet, Lock Box, and C-Store ships and consoles - proving that PvPers do in fact spend a TON on this game. Not just for items, but on Dil for the Starbase and Rep grinds.

This part here is the one that always strikes me as the most telling.

You have to wonder what is going on when a development team willfully ignores the lowest of hanging fruit.

Players who spend a lot, players who actively test mechanics, players who actually tell you when things are not working as intended or are poorly balanced, players who will make their own content and all you need to do is tend the garden.
  • magniacapramagniacapra Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's strange, all of the most broken op TRIBBLE in this game does **** all in PvE....

Seriously though, it's been too long, they don't take the effort to make promises they can do nothing but break anymore. Won't be long before this sub forum is closed down in a reorganisation, with any thread with pvp in the title giving you an official warning. :lol:
  • livinrtblivinrtb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    *Facepalm...Cryptic!!!
  • thishorizonthishorizon Member Posts: 1,158
    edited July 2013
    happy snix day everyone.
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Has there been any word recently on any sort of PvP additions? Last I heard it was "Season 9, maybe... We'll see."
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    oh ya, they made the C&H map darker for LoR too. for some reason. i sorta like it better, does that count as doing something for pvp? kinda hard to say that that is content added
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This day is here not celebrate the man that is its namesake. But the company that made it their unwavering mission, to compile a larger list of broken TRIBBLE, to introduce new toys, and to bodly ignore what is profitable in every other MMO.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In some ways I would prefer they keep PvP on their Ignore List instead of making it a profit center. PvP, as well as PvE content should be about player retention, its funny that Cryptic calls new things to buy "content". Its funny because its sad :(
  • zensoji1zensoji1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I had the idea a while ago that 2 things would make PvP incredible.

1. PvP Foundry Maps

2. Foundry Assets to Complement it.

Think about it - you and a handful of Klingons in, lets say, OPVP, get together and decide to join a pug match. Instead of going to the boring old PvP space maps that offer nothing original, you click on the foundry map tab. And suddenly it displays a list of all foundry missions that have been marked as "PvP" from within the editor. You click on one there and you all warp into a mission. At the start you have an explanation of what's going on, you're part of a Klingon contingent sent to assault a key Federation starbase on the border of KDF space. In order to not alert every vessel in Starfleet, you need to sabotage the 3 nearby communications relays. Once that's done you have 30 minutes to destroy the Starbase before the arrays can be repaired. All the while, a group of Starfleet ships that were docked at the starbase are trying to stop you. And they can send repair teams in to the comm arrays to knock 10 minutes off your deadline. Also they can throw Hazard Emitters or Engineering Team at the starbase to heal the damage you do.

NOW THAT is a PvP match that requires Tactics, planning and plays to each career type.

Happy Snix day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PvP Boot Camp Coach
    Vice Admiral of Forum Administration
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How to identify a dev offline:

1. Listen -
    Can you hear an ominous rumble of thunder,a clap of lightning or some dark gregorian-esque chanting? chances are a dev is nearby
    2. Observe -
    Are people running about screaming about the end of the world or beseeching the powers above to help them? Chances are a dev is nearby
    3. Listen again
    Beyond the above, can you hear the soft thud of a hammer beating something over the head? Chances are a dev is nearby, using the nerfhammer to great effect
    4. Check your wallet
    Has your life savings turned into tiny keys for tiny boxes spontaneously? Chances are you have spotted not just a dev, but the lesser spotted sto dev!
  • fallout232323fallout232323 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    every once in a great while I think:

"did I make a mistake?"
    "maybe the devs were just swamped and finally got to pvp after I left."
    "maybe...I shouldn't have left..."

Then I make a trip to the sto-forums and realize nothing really changes...

Miss some of you old timers though
    Dont hate the playas, hate the game ;)
    CRITZ!
  • playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    oh ya, they made the C&H map darker for LoR too. for some reason. i sorta like it better, does that count as doing something for pvp? kinda hard to say that that is content added

nah, they changed some texture and it was a coincidence that it was used for a pvp map.
    John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
    Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
    K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
    Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
  • heizlueftaheizluefta Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    3 years of scaring me with patchnotes....we should get extra rewards for still playing pvp....maybe some sort of pvp non combat pet ? :rolleyes::mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]