test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

*~* Happy 3 Years Everyone!! *~* (Re: PvP leaderboards)

2»

Comments

• naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zensoji1 wrote: »
    Think about it - you and a handful of Klingons in, lets say, OPVP, get together and decide to join a pug match. Instead of going to the boring old PvP space maps that offer nothing original, you click on the foundry map tab. And suddenly it displays a list of all foundry missions that have been marked as "PvP" from within the editor. You click on one there and you all warp into a mission...

Who would pick the map? And who would be your opponents?

You are a Fed player, and suddenly find yourself on a strange map which you are unfamiliar with, while your Klingon opponents are racing to the objectives...
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • zensoji1zensoji1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    that was off the top of my head - there would obviously be balance in the form of an explanation for BOTH sides.

forgive me for not being forensically detailed XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PvP Boot Camp Coach
    Vice Admiral of Forum Administration
  • masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A simple PvP Foundry map ranking should be in place, based on the stars received the top 5/10 arena maps will be rotated in the public queues (or can be picked from in a private challenge, ofcourse including the 3 original ones)

That would be awesome :)

This would mean alot to the PvP community because this actually IS content, idc how we get it. Cycling tru the same 3 maps is boring as hell. Also the current maps are too open spaced there is absolutely no connectivity or relation with solid objects 99% of the time which is sad imo.

Maps with more obstacles etc would be way more fun, like an astroid belt or something. And turn on some collisions would be awesome as well, fly into an astroid and you get damage, or explode.

Tractorbeam someone and smash him towards an astroid, how awesome would that be :D too bad the current system cant handle all those things.

This is how STO shoulve' been.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
  • zensoji1zensoji1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The foundry in itself is the greatest asset to STO for the simple reason that if some time and effort went into the editor, the assets and mechanics of it, it has the greatest potential for success. Several people have stated all over this forum that the only reason they play STO is because of the foundry. Several say that they stopped playing because the foundry gets NO attention. For instance, nothing but TOS details and irrelevent assets instead of the things that would help it. Changing the game type of the map would help, 2 types of spawn point, one for team a and one for team b; in the storyline window, 2 stories running side-by-side one for team a and one for team b. that way one side gets information (using my previous example) about defending and the other gets info on attacking; Enemy NPCs that are starbases for starbase assaults, asteroids that you have to take out that have the ramming speed buff on as a passive so if you hit one BANG kinetic damage; in ground maps, military tech as Enemy NPCs, i.e. an assault on an earth colony, phaser turrets could fire at you, requiring you to use cover shield or objects for cover, and can be attacked and destroyed.

The list goes on.

And there are STILL ways for Cryptic and PWE to make money off of it. If they charged for the ability to unlock PvP mode in the Foundry - people WILL buy it. Even for foundry slots!

Seriously, my personal business plan for this would be:

Silver Members:
    200 Zen - Unlock Foundry
    50 Zen - 1 Foundry slot.
    450 Zen - 10 Foundry slots.
    550 Zen - Unlock PvP Mode

Gold members:
    While Gold, Foundry is unlocked - when you go back to silver, foundry is locked again and you cannot enter it unless you have bought the 200 Zen Foundry unlock.
    5 Free Foundry Slots.
    Still have to pay 550 Zen for PvP Mode

Lifetime Subscribers:
    Foundry Unlocked
    10 Free Foundry Slots
    PvP Mode Unlocked
    Anything extra is at normal Silver Member price.

Considering the number of Foundry authors out there, more people would be paying gold or lifetime, or if they wanted to stay silver then more money goes into cryptic/pwe's pockets in the form of slot purchases and unlocks.

Yes this method is a very Corporate and Capitalist view on how to milk players for more money, but this way STO remains F2P, Cryptic/PWE still make more money to fund development, the foundry/pvp communities get what they've been asking for for years now and although you can't please everyone, a considerable majority will be happy and old STO vets that have left the game due to bad pvp, lost promises, bad foundry development and so on would be returning yto put even more money in cryptic/pwe's pockets.

On a related note to this post: Why wasn't I given the job of Content Developer that applied for? :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PvP Boot Camp Coach
    Vice Admiral of Forum Administration