test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

On making bans stick..technical enforcement.

The computer CPU these days are only made by a 3 companies.. Intel, AMD, and Cyrix.

All three brands have an internal serial number on each and every CPU produced for at least the last 5 years if not longer. The number can be accessed by a query from properly configured software. When players get banned for disruptive in game behavior, using hacks, cracks, exploits etc.. what ever is a violation of the TOS and EULA typically accounts are closed/banned etc by blocking/locking off the account. Sometimes by IP blocking, but IP blocking is problematical at best. How ever, blocking by reading a specific users computer cpu AND bios serial number is a far more effective way of making sure bans stick. Its a simple database function though that can be implemented during a application startup and made part of the handshake process between the end users computer and the server.

Certainly there are ways that this could be spoofed. But the very act of spoofing reveals that someone is doing something they shouldn't. And the spoofing can be detected because there are a very finite and small list of ways such a spoof could be successfull. IP blocking can be defeated via the use of proxies. Blocking the computers via CPU ID is much more difficult to defeat... especially when this is layered with IP detection and blocking.

Now, none of this will prevent a truely determined person from defeating such measures, But on the other hand, it will make it phenominally more difficult. And anyone going to that much effort should likely be brought to the attention of US Federal Law Enforcement.

Such an implementation would allow service providers a superior tool for enforcing account bans.
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    did some additional digging myself on this subject..remote query of a user computer to retrieve cuuid and biosid info is apparently very simple task. technical folk might want to look into if a bullet proof way of doing this automaticly can be plugged into the server side processes handing STO.

Most folk are not going to go out and buy a new comp to get around a ban.
    but then theres an old saying.. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

And being free of players that make a point of disrupting the game experience for other players.. well.. It's worth doing...
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ok, more digging, cpuid serial numbers went away officially after Intell-III processors..
    But on the other hand, the launcher for the game can speciicly provide a unique fingerprint..
    and and blocked fingrprint prevents the users machine from connecting to the server. SO either the user allows the information or they dont get to play.

There should be no issues with this legally at all at this point. Cryptic has the right to protect thier product and users from abusive behavior, if not a certain amount of responsibility to do so.

No way of providing perfect protection, but a great deal more can be done..
  • Options
    zombiedeadheadedzombiedeadheaded Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What a nutjob. And that goes for whoever you copy pasted that first post from as well.
  • Options
    melisande77melisande77 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    did some additional digging myself on this subject..remote query of a user computer to retrieve cuuid and biosid info is apparently very simple task. technical folk might want to look into if a bullet proof way of doing this automaticly can be plugged into the server side processes handing STO.

Most folk are not going to go out and buy a new comp to get around a ban.
    but then theres an old saying.. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

And being free of players that make a point of disrupting the game experience for other players.. well.. It's worth doing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJN08uqt70
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Or, maybe you should stop trying to turn the game into spyware for stealing personal information from users, hrm? I, for one, specifically sandbox my computers to block this kind of nasty spyware behavior.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited July 2013
    I think they should trial this technology on the OP given the number of times he has violated ToS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    phyressphyress Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I think that the OP should rewatch this clip. Clearly, they have forgotten some of the valuable lessons Star Trek has taught us.
  • Options
    obtusepandaobtusepanda Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You know, there are some words I've known since I was a school boy. With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. Those words were uttered by Judge Antonin Scalia as wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.
  • Options
    peyotefootstoolpeyotefootstool Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Reading this leads me to believe you have been trolled in the past. How does that make you feel? I believe this is the root of your said paranoia about the banning system with post like these I would venture to guess you don't know why people troll you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thetarqthetarq Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    OP, great ideas! You should let the NSA know. I hear they are hiring for a senior analyst position.

Though, before you do you might want to delete your fanfic, fan art, anime stuff.:D
    -= ROM PAUL =-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]