test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Old Player Curious if I should come back

draknar88draknar88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hey guys!

So I've been waiting for ESO to be released, which is going to be a while now.

I've been debating between returning to STO or going back to SW:ToR.

I know it's probably biased, but would anyone here recommend coming back to STO? What kinds of things are there to look forward to doing?

What activities are there to participate in? (most importantly anything that doesn't require a massive time chunk of the day, and can be quickly joined).

Thanks!
Post edited by draknar88 on

Comments

• Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    draknar88 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I know it's probably biased, but would anyone here recommend coming back to STO? What kinds of things are there to look forward to doing?

What activities are there to participate in? (most importantly anything that doesn't require a massive time chunk of the day, and can be quickly joined).

Thanks!

When did you leave?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    When did you leave?

ummm, maybe about a month after release.
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just returned for the Romulan expansion myself, The story they did for Romulans is their best work yet. aside from that everything else - ESTF's, and so on are still about the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    wildmousex wrote: »
    I just returned for the Romulan expansion myself, The story they did for Romulans is their best work yet. aside from that everything else - ESTF's, and so on are still about the same.

I never actually got that far. What is an "ESTF"?

Also what is the state of PvP in this game?
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ESTF stands for Elite Special Task Force. These are meant to be the hardest missions in the game.

As for pvp, well, it has not had a single thing done to it since launch, unless you include the power creep which is trying to kill it dead....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm very new compared to you (I came in a week before F2P). However, from what I have heard from many vets, a lot of content has been added and a number of game mechanics have been revised.

I would definitely give it another try, especially since AFAIK non-subscribers have enough slots to try a character in each faction.
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Definitely come back. The Romulan content is great. Just make sure your wallet is loaded.
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I never actually got that far. What is an "ESTF"?

Also what is the state of PvP in this game?

The Special Task Force missions are end game PvE (players vs computer) content where you earn marks to buy space and ground sets that give you a lot of bonus's - they come in regular and elite flavors, the elites give way more marks.

PvP is hit and miss as far as quing for them, they seem to be more popular then before, as now you can get missions that pay 1,440 dil for doing 3 PvP match's per day. durring the day it doesn't seem to take very long to get into a match, but at night it can drag on as long as it use too.

they have also added fleet star base's, that have special fleet variants of loot and ships which can be fun, however the cost of upgrading fleet's is so high that smaller fleets tend to devolve into " contribute or you're a worthless punk" drama and makes it no fun at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey guys!

Thanks!

If those two are your dilemma, you have no dilemma. STO wins in any and every category IMHO.

Now, I have seen from your other posts that you left very early and haven't done much in STO, so you'll have more than enough things to do at least untill ESO comes out, if not longer.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you want to run some single-player campaign missions, alone or with friends/fleetmates, and also do some open-gameplay activities, then you will be able to do that on your own terms without much trouble. The game has its problems, but the SP/coop stuff mostly works.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Both games are FTP, so unless you have limited harddrive space issues there's no reason you can't go back to both. There's no law in the universe that says people should only play 1 MMO. I currently play over a dozen and find that game diversity keeps me from getting too bored or burnt-out on any 1 game. So download them both and play a STO as the mood strikes you, a little SWTOR as the mood strikes you, and so on.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i have a love hate thing going with this game i love most of it over the past year of me playing there have added better content n ships. but i do hate the fact that a lot of bugs are now features of the game and dev dont seam to do out about them. except add more with each new realse there seam to think if a bug has a work around then it does not need fixing. my advices is as soon as u get in game add DOFFJOBS to your chat n when you come to a bug ask on there wot to do.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    teklionbenrashateklionbenrasha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Come back. And play the Romulan stuff. It's like a whole new game. Though saying that, if you left a month after release, I'm guessing it'll all be like a whole new game.

Aside: what's ESO?
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Come back. And play the Romulan stuff. It's like a whole new game. Though saying that, if you left a month after release, I'm guessing it'll all be like a whole new game.

Aside: what's ESO?

Elder Scrolls Online.

Yes, Bethesda decided they wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO after Skyrim.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When the game first launched, it was still a de facto beta.

With the recent expansion, the game actually feels complete. The "beta" STO had very little to do besides level a federation character and PvP. Currently, STO has three factions with their own unique story content. Leveling is very rapid pace as they have focused everything on endgame. There are a lot of fantastic new things to do at endgame, although they can get repetitive. In addition, they have released something called "the foundry" which allows you to play one of the thousands of player-created missions, some of them quite spectacular.

It would take you months of playing to experience everything even without playing a single foundry mission. The only downside is that the game has gotten much more "grindy" and "pay-to-win", but 100% of the content is free and the game, compared to how it was at launch, feels like a really good, complex title that could keep you busy doing new things for months.
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I took a 2 year leave from sto, so much has changed and so much has been fixed. the game is super casual and you have access to everything (albeit) quite a bit of grinding. The space combat is what made me return and it has convinced me to stay.

Just feel like rambling, great game...some hang ups but it gives me the mmo fix at an all so casual rate with plenty of gratification
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,508 Arc User
    edited July 2013

oO
    I will not tell you everything that changed or is new because the list is to long.

Forget the STO of one month after release, it does not exist anymore. You should totally try STO now. You can still switch to something else if you do not like what you see.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd say no, simply because of how much stuff is either broken or not working as described. While the LoR stuff is fun, it's not at all what it was advertised as, and most of the things in game just aren't working properly.

Save yourself the frustration and enjoy the sunshine
  • Options
    highteehightee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd say no, simply because of how much stuff is either broken or not working as described. While the LoR stuff is fun, it's not at all what it was advertised as, and most of the things in game just aren't working properly.

Save yourself the frustration and enjoy the sunshine

Or as some said. its free to play and make your own mind up. Yes you asked on the forums and all, but it is no different from any other mmo these days, if you enjoy it, spend some money if not, then move on :D

If anything worth a shot, play (omg for free....) then decide, and ignore us all, it's your time lol, if you like it now, then please let us know :) love to here someone have a good time then like most mmo forums... whiny children.. that's another story :P Moan Gripe and umm tier 5 something :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Answer: No. The entropy of a closed system always increases, so the game must necessarily be worse than when you left. If it wasn't good enough for you to play when you decided to quit, then it's even worse now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If the choice is between SWTOR and STO, choose the latter.
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    STO :D

Why did you leave? :(

Do my limited Q powers tell me you're a Star Wars fan? :mad:
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you want to just come back and enjoy a game without too much restriction, play STO.

If you want to play a game, and have to pay to sprint, have TRIBBLE romance, avoid the grind, have the same loot as anybody else from random quest, play SWTOR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2013
    Old Player Curious if I should come back

Yes.
    (I may be biased)
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2013

A month after release? You'll find that a ton has changed. So you missed out on all these:

1. 4 different Featured episode series (5-mission story arcs)
    2. The Duty officer system (Crew management)
    3. a flushed out, 1-50 KDF faction (Go to max level on story missions alone)
    4. a completely new Romulan faction (Some excellent storytelling here)
    5. a fleet progression system (With fleet starbase)
    6. Reputation systems (end-game progression)
    7. The Foundry (user-generated missions)
    8. revamed sector space look
    9. more LCARS-y UI scheme (with customizable
    10. A host of new end-game group instances
    11. Several new seasonal events including the Risa event going on now.

That's what I can think of off hand.
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If I were in your shoes, OP... Definitely STO. :D

SWTOR just didn't have the staying power for me. ;)
  • Options
    rathelmrathelm Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey guys!

Thanks!

Almost everything in this game is designed to be completed solo or relatively easy in the simple group content. Some STFs cannot be failed they just take longer.

TOR is closer to WoW in terms of what it was trying to accomplish. The trinity is present, unlike this game. So I would say it really depends on what you want to do. I'd also say that TOR has more content overall, but its geared toward grouping.
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey guys!

Thanks!

You really have nothing to loose by just trying it out, except a little time maybe if you don't like it, that's the good thing about F2P. People can tell you about all the updates but its best to experience it all yourself. Nothing stopping you playing SWToR as well.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    graemorhomegraemorhome Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey guys!

Thanks!

I'm rather new, but after 2 weeks of play, I got a lifetime membership. The game is that fun, and - well - the lifetime gig was on sale. ;)

But if you're deciding between STO and SWTOR, I'd say come back to STO. Why? Because I've played both (was a big SWTOR fan at first), but the starship combat is what I craved, and even though both games require grinding, It doesn't feel as much like grinding in STO as it did in SWTOR, imho.

Whichever you decide. have fun and good hunting!
  • Options
    brangel13brangel13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Owning both STO and SW:TOR, I find myself playing STO much more. SW:TOR, I may log on once every 3 months to maintain my alt names and that's about it. Being a lifetime member and player since beta, I absolutely love playing STO. Even when I get "burnt out" playing STO, its always nice to log on during a long stretch and see all the new changes that have been implemented. :D