Install Arc
Options

Old Player Curious if I should come back

2»

Comments

• Options
    kyleurichkyleurich Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just recently returned and I am having a fun with it. I quit playing a few years back and found that there is a lot of cool stuff that has been added. I especially like being able to queue up for fleet and ground co-op missions which last maybe 15 minutes. When I have a bit more time I can run some foundry missions or story line stuff, however being able to jump in fly around with all phasers firing and scoring some decent loot can be quite satisfying when time is not as plentiful. Best of all its F2P and if you download it and play now and again it puts no dent in the wallet. So in essence, just do it and I bet you will enjoy it. I play Swtor as well but I find more often than not I will only hover over my swtor icon before clicking on sto.
  • Options
    vamerrasvamerras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I played at the beginning of 2011 for a few month. I came back at April and I really enjoying the game. Devs made a lot of improvements since I left STO; and the new Romulus content is awesome.

Also I'm impressed with some of the Foundry contents. I was really sceptical about UGC in an MMO, but this community has lots of really talented people who can create awesome missions - sometimes better stories than Cryptic.

I think you should give STO a try.

Before STO I played SWTOR a lot: I did raids with my main and I also played all of class stories. IMHO STO stories are far more superior (especially LoR); PvP is a joke in both games; SWTOR mechanics are just bad copies of general fantasy MMOs - in STO we have an enjoyable spacefight system.
  • Options
    mistressbenihimemistressbenihime Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    brangel13 wrote: »
    Owning both STO and SW:TOR, I find myself playing STO much more. SW:TOR, I may log on once every 3 months to maintain my alt names and that's about it. Being a lifetime member and player since beta, I absolutely love playing STO. Even when I get "burnt out" playing STO, its always nice to log on during a long stretch and see all the new changes that have been implemented. :D

I feel the same way I am actually a star wars fan. but I find myself online in STO way more. after a while the buzz wore off and SW:ToR became WoW whit lightsabers. I got bored whit the game. decide to look if things improved after F2P but the politics implemented when SW:ToR went F2P made sure i am never coming back.
    THE NEW CRAFTING SYSTEM IS TERRA-BAD
    First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
    second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.
  • Options
    vr00mievr00mie Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello!

Much like the OP I'm thinking of returning to STO, atleast to check it out.

Like the OP i left after a month or so, lets just say my expectations was a lot, lot higher than the delivered product.

I do have some questions!

1. I bought a lifetime subscription (pre-order) back in the day, what will that mean for me now?

2. Is there any expansions that i would need to buy to get the full experience?

3. What's all this "Perfect World" stuff? Is Cryptic still in charge? Will my account still exist?

//Vr00m
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    vr00mie wrote: »
    Hello!

Much like the OP I'm thinking of returning to STO, atleast to check it out.

Like the OP i left after a month or so, lets just say my expectations was a lot, lot higher than the delivered product.

I do have some questions!

1. I bought a lifetime subscription (pre-order) back in the day, what will that mean for me now?

2. Is there any expansions that i would need to buy to get the full experience?

3. What's all this "Perfect World" stuff? Is Cryptic still in charge? Will my account still exist?

//Vr00m

i think you ahve lots and lots of ZEN accumulated, since you are a lifetimer and every month got you 500 zen.
    you have access to exclusive ships and so on...there is a matrix that lists all your veteran rewards and the privileges you have as a lifer.

i think you will be overwhelmed by the content that has been added so far which is entirely free not only for lifers but anybody.

i suggest you install the game, transfer your account to a PWE account if not done already since you are able to post here.
    Give it a try, you can allways leave again.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    i think you ahve lots and lots of ZEN accumulated, since you are a lifetimer and every month got you 500 zen.
    you have access to exclusive ships and so on...there is a matrix that lists all your veteran rewards and the privileges you have as a lifer.

i think you will be overwhelmed by the content that has been added so far which is entirely free not only for lifers but anybody.

i suggest you install the game, transfer your account to a PWE account if not done already since you are able to post here.
    Give it a try, you can allways leave again.

I haven't transefered my account, had to make a new account to post here.

The transfer is made via the launcher or ingame? Or rather - will the game show me the way to do it?
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    vr00mie wrote: »
    I haven't transefered my account, had to make a new account to post here.

The transfer is made via the launcher or ingame? Or rather - will the game show me the way to do it?
    IIRC, as it was over a year ago for me, when you log into your old account on the launcher it will tell you that you need to merge your old account with a PW account. It will give you a clicky and do all the heavy lifting for you. I think you just need to answer a question or two along the way - such as the handle of your new PW account.

Edit: This announcement from Cryptic might help too: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=784201
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Big thanks to thecosmic1 and baudl!

Got the game running last night. There was some frustration with the account linking (esp since I wasn't sure what my old cryptic pw was) but it all worked out in the end.

Now I just hope I get some free time to try everything out. Will probably have to make a new char, couldn't remember much, and much seems to be changed.