test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

so this guy in ESD zone chat the other night came up with a great idea...

oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
not my idea.

i can't remember the guys name (hope he shows up) but everyone on chat at the time thought it was great.

basically its this...there's a seasons or two worth development ofc...and then:

you and your crew get a call on a mission and you encounter "a thing" ("Why is any object we don't understand always called a thing ?" :P ) that basically does what the caretaker did and throws you out into the far reaches of the galaxy.

and you have to travel back

exploring strange new worlds, encountering new life and new civilizations (bet some of you liked that bit huh ? :) ) and maybe some old ones.

suggested time periods to undertake the journey ranged from a week to two months.

you would encounter scripted and story arc events/missions and randomized ones although you would ofc be somewhat on rails that kept you going in the right general direction.

some missions could be kind of half and half. scripted like defera while at the same time generating races and environments like exploration clusters.

random attacks and perhaps split event paths based on mission choices could be part of it too. you could end up being in an advancing war with a species or alternately have made peace with them...or being in opposite position with another another...there could be more than one of these "factions" who could either attack or aid or supply you or even give you an additional mission or two depending on your standing with them.

as many factors could be made random it could maybe be repeatable.

anyway i said "someone should put that on the forums" because i was one of the ones thought it sounded great (and a clever re use of some existing games mechanics that didn't seem that potentially hard to implement) but so far no one has.

so here it is (with no doubt a little embellishment from myself and some spelling mistakes).

i hope some of you like it.

what do you think ?

P.S i know there are calls for other stuff going around but it seems many of those are in the pipe so please don't let your desire for other content overwhelm your assessment of the idea.

i really think something like this would additionally round out the game as a Star Trek game...
Post edited by oldkilldare on

Comments

• Options
    mercenary4hiremercenary4hire Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I really like the idea but I think they would need some better animations, graphics and actual voice acting to make it immersive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    could be an extended episode arc like the romulan or federation beginning arcs (the stuff you do before you head into cross faction story).

not sure where you'd have it set up, maybe before the borg arc.

could call it the Tempest or Lost arc (Tempest for getting thrown across space like a storm for a water bound ship; Lost for literally being Lost in Space xD)
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    99% of this community would rage instead of playing along. They are busy grinding or doing fleet actions with kids, or whatever, not here to satisfy some god of random
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    One setback with this would be that, for VA's at least, it would be difficult to explain how we jump from being 'lost' to STF's/Fleet Alerts in familiar space etc.
    that problem had occurred to me and i have 3 suggestions in descending lore-ishness...

1. you can't. it's a commitment and you're gonna kinda need an alt if you wanna do that stuff...which tbh could be spun as a fairly justifiable price to have to pay...

2. partial suspension of disbelief:

you can use the instance finder. you can use the merchant ship.

or...

at the start of the journey you met a particularly mercenary trading ship captain who upon incidentally learning of the existence of the Ferengi sees great opportunity for opening up a long haul trade route if he aids you in getting home.

this merchant becomes a callable merchant ship with the usual functions.

he call also sell or activate a temporary transwarp jump to a fixed location but after a while technology snaps back and you are returned to exactly where you were previously. this jump technology has a unique affinity for the make up of the region of space you are in and does not work outside it (in reality the timing would be at your discretion and it would simply reuse the transwarp system).

3. complete suspension of disbelief

basically no restriction on travel.

there is another option, "the reward dedication option" which is to do something like make it so loot advances in level the longer you stay in without coming home and have it drop back down if you have to go to spacedock and give a title and ofc an achievement.

or

you could have alien starbases and/or planets with facilities open up as part of the story arc, maybe at a rate of one per week that would provide services and also possibly limited long distance back and forth travel.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2013
    I like this, make it a real commitment on the part of the players where they are cut off from the Alpha Quadrant, but make it an "opt in" kind of thing. So the only people who participate are the ones who really want to and really know what it means, and so that you could do it on one alt but not on others if you wished. But make the rewards worth the investment of course. Plus a suitable "heroes homecoming" when you return!
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I really like this idea and fully support it. That would be a blast! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dm19deltadm19delta Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like the idea, but it might be a little hard to justify with the slipstream and transwarp coming into widespread use. What about instead of getting stranded across the galaxy, we get tasked with reestablishing contact with some of the races that Voyager encountered, and maybe make first contact with some new ones. It could be a new story arc that explores what effect Voyager's presence had on the Delta quadrant that comes along with the eventual addition of the Delta quadrant to the game.

I'm down with however they decide to do it, so long as they include the Kazon. I have a tac in Galaxy-X that's just itching to "share" some weapons technology with them.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2013
    Awesome idea ... Happily give up the grinds on 1 character. Has to be optional I think but I love it. My Intrepid is good to go. :D
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    berahtberaht Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here's an idea:

Tier 5 Connie

RAWR! ;)
    6e5OTnq.png
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Do the Klingons and Romulans get to randomly blow people and things up on their way back home?

Peace and diplomacy in this kind of situation would certainly not fit with the KDF or even the RR. They would be more akin to exploiting and and raiding than making friends with the locals.
  • Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Could be used as a way to bring specific faction content to other factions in the game.
    -Makbure
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    zipagat wrote: »
    Do the Klingons and Romulans get to randomly blow people and things up on their way back home?
    i imagine Klingons might get a special achivement for doing pretty much that.

you'd be a pissed off Klingon looking for path to revenge...

Grrr

:D

but it might be more tactically rewarding to join with 1 faction of say 3 operating in that area of space and conquer the territory for the Empire !...or at least some juicy fealty...

if you blow everything up where are you gonna dock ?
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not that it's a bad idea, in principle, as it surely would be a nice gameplay, but...that requires a game inside the game. This "other area" would have to be created (a new quadrant), and people sent there should have forms of interacting as well. There would have to be places to do missions, places to sell loot, etc...
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    beraht wrote: »
    Here's an idea:

Tier 5 Connie

RAWR! ;)

Or NOT. . . .
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd love to take my Defiant on a "Voyager" like run.

First officer: Sir the Kaazon are arming weapons!

Me: Activate the cloak, punch it and get us behind them. Initiate Alpha strike on my mark.

*Clouds of Kaazon vessels burn in space as we depart under cloak*

Me: Honestly, If Janeway just had the right weapons and tactics these space rednecks would have run away each time she entered the same sector as them.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    I'd love to take my Defiant on a "Voyager" like run.

First officer: Sir the Kaazon are arming weapons!

Me: Activate the cloak, punch it and get us behind them. Initiate Alpha strike on my mark.

*Clouds of Kaazon vessels burn in space as we depart under cloak*

Me: Honestly, If Janeway just had the right weapons and tactics these space rednecks would have run away each time she entered the same sector as them.

That is so un-starfleet
  • Options
    nebbiosadonzellanebbiosadonzella Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i imagine Klingons might get a special achivement for doing pretty much that.

you'd be a pissed off Klingon looking for path to revenge...

Grrr

:D

but it might be more tactically rewarding to join with 1 faction of say 3 operating in that area of space and conquer the territory for the Empire !...or at least some juicy fealty...

if you blow everything up where are you gonna dock ?

Now that's an idea I like.

The starting mission for KDF and KDF alligned Romulans and Remans would end with you being sent all the way across the galaxy by some treachery or betrayal. Now you and your crew have to return home to clean your name and give the one who set you up a glorious beating, and everything that gets in the way is going to learn a thing or two about the KDF and the Romulan Star Empire.

And you get 'conquistador marks' for all the valuables, slaves, and new technologies you bring back.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Great idea.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    allmyteeallmytee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Like it, however instead of us being through across the galaxy, maybe have aliens from the other parts of the galaxy brought to us.

That way conflict would surely happen but it would also introduce a story arc with us trying to figure out why all these aliens are being brought to our quadrant of space.

Then devs could just utilize planets and regins of space already in game, and players wouldn't be forced to give up existing content.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That is so un-starfleet

Hey, they're going to shoot at my ship and try steal my gear? They die, there's a reason I fly a Defiant class.

When a Defiant fires a "Warning shot" it's tearing out its enemys guts and show it to them.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    Hey, they're going to shoot at my ship and try steal my gear? They die, there's a reason I fly a Defiant class.

When a Defiant fires a "Warning shot" it's tearing out its enemys guts and show it to them.

LOL

[Federation thinking]
    Avoid confrontation
    [/Federation thinking]

If you can cloak they are no threat. Egaging them afterwards is an act of aggression. :P
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zipagat wrote: »

Peace and diplomacy in this kind of situation would certainly not fit with the KDF or even the RR. They would be more akin to exploiting and and raiding than making friends with the locals.

While the Klingons would certainly operate diffeently, it would be foolish to just attack everything. As hard as it sounds, but Klingons are not Orcs. Like anothe poster said, forming a kind of supportive bond with at least one faction would be a wise choice. But assuming the lost Klingon destroyer would just go on and wreck anything regardless of the tactical situation is a bit of an harsh cliche.

But considering this game is a shooting range... XD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think this only works for FED.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think this only works for FED.

Why? Klingons and Romulans do have diplomats and scientists as well. Just because this game portrays them as a bunch of brutes, pirates and orcs doesn't mean they have to stick to that.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    One setback with this would be that, for VA's at least, it would be difficult to explain how we jump from being 'lost' to STF's/Fleet Alerts in familiar space etc.

I've been suggesting for a long time to do this as an alternate cross-faction leveling path.

So it doesn't matter if you're Klingon, Romulan, Federation, etc.

You start off being propelled into deep space. You work your way back by level 25 or so.

For KDF/Fed/Rom it could be an alternate leveling path for alts (and a bunch of new missions for existing players). For less popular factions, it could be their primary leveling path.

You just lace it with lots of choices.

I doubt we'll ever see, for example, a Breen or Ferengi faction. But you could be a lost Ferengi or Breen Captain who gets Ferengi or Breen-style choices and makes friends either with a lost Fed Fleet or a lost KDF fleet on the way home.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The gimmick, of course, is that you have thousands of lost ships (another Caretaker array? a bigger one?) all in a path home together, with Fed and KDF taking turns figuring out shortcuts.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sounds interesting, as long as it is something you as a player can decide that it happens to your character.

It should not be something that can happen out of the blue, because a lot of people will not appreciate that.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,417 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Instead of being warped away there is a far easier way to meet new species of aliens: Deep Space.

Remember the "Deep space" you do not have permission to enter? Let us enter and blow/explore the TRIBBLE out of it.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Instead of being warped away there is a far easier way to meet new species of aliens: Deep Space.

Remember the "Deep space" you do not have permission to enter? Let us enter and blow/explore the TRIBBLE out of it.

Most of that "deep space" contains known planets that Cryptic hasn't gotten around to adding yet. They're working more or less from official Star Trek maps.