test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

so this guy in ESD zone chat the other night came up with a great idea...

2»

Comments

• Options
    ocp001ocp001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When I saw the thread title I had low expectations of what was going to be discussed.

This however is a great idea.

Why not just have Q throw you into some unknown corner of the galaxy? One of those "lessons" he was known for? When you can't hack it anymore he can warp you back.

Time spent could have scaling rewards, maybe a new rare ship for each faction. Special weapons or sets (ground or space).
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ocp001 wrote: »
    When I saw the thread title I had low expectations of what was going to be discussed.

This however is a great idea.

Why not just have Q throw you into some unknown corner of the galaxy? One of those "lessons" he was known for? When you can't hack it anymore he can warp you back.

Time spent could have scaling rewards, maybe a new rare ship for each faction. Special weapons or sets (ground or space).

What I disliked the most about the TNG episode, Q Who?, was that Q actually had pity and rescued Picard from his folly. The rest of that season would have been a superior version of what the Voyager series set out to do.

I like the basic concept in bold. However, I also agree with the suggestion that player's choose to take on what being whisked away has to offer. Taking up the challenge of exploring and getting to a Starbase again.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    One setback with this would be that, for VA's at least, it would be difficult to explain how we jump from being 'lost' to STF's/Fleet Alerts in familiar space etc.

Well, those would be greyed out on the UI, of course. Make the player fight for his chance to get back to his warm and cosy dilithium and FM grinding habitat !
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • Options
    allen78j20stoallen78j20sto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like it. No stfs, and you can transwarp all you want but it will still take 3 weeks to a month to find that way home etc. The path home can have you run into species good and bad and you have to find resources to survive. I would commit a character to this. I wouldn't want it to be easy either.
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited July 2013
    You'd have to make the rewards pretty significant to get players to sacrifice a character for it, I think. A rare Mk XII item set would suffice for me :3

But how would they make this? It's an excellent idea, yeah, but what would go on? Who would you fight?
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You'd have to make the rewards pretty significant to get players to sacrifice a character for it, I think. A rare Mk XII item set would suffice for me :3

But how would they make this? It's an excellent idea, yeah, but what would go on? Who would you fight?
    already covered bits of that.

as well as quests on the journey ofc there would persistent factions (i envisage say maybe 3 or 4) who would either attack or aid you possible depending on quest choices and working on the basis of a hidden from view reputation interaction.

at least one would be basically malevolent (except possibly to Klingons) and so you'd be fighting an advancing war against them as you progressed to the end (much like the Borg in Voyager).

you may also have basically "pirates" and 2 or more of the factions would have their own interpersonal relationships (read potential war or peace) with each other which may necessitate you "picking a side"...hell, you're chosen side could even turn out to be "the wrong one" half way through...
  • Options
    sussethraisussethrai Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    One quick way to get Cryptic/PWE interested would be to monetize it. Have a transwarp token available for TRIBBLE Zen. Then if you decide you can't hack the trip or need to recall your character for some reason, buy the token, activate it, and it returns you to Known Space.
    "Susse-thrai" had been the name bestowed upon her, half in anger, half in affection, by her old crew on Bloodwing; the keen-nosed, cranky, wily old she-beast, never less dangerous than when you thought her defenseless, and always growing new teeth far back in her throat to replace the old ones broken in biting out the last foe's heart.
    Romulans: left one homeworld, lost another, third time's the charm?
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Umm, Voyager already did it.

Anyway, you're drastically underestimating the amount of work that would be required.

If you haven't already tried it, go play Cryptic's new Neverwinter MMO for a bit; it should give you an idea of where their development skills are at relative to an undertaking like this.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Umm, Voyager already did it.

Anyway, you're drastically underestimating the amount of work that would be required.
    actually that theme runs through the entire Star Trek franchise (and Voyager was basically an attempt to copy the original series format)...and trust me i'm not overestimating the amount of work....i'm not unfamiliar with such things...

this idea basically reuses a lot of pre-existing game mechanics...just with some actually fairly minor twisting and creative scripting...
    sussethrai wrote: »
    One quick way to get Cryptic/PWE interested would be to monetize it.

like the Adventure Packs in Champions Online ? maybe...but imho something like this should be a baseline part of a Star Trek game.

especially if it's suitably randomizable and repeatable.

i would offer a counter proposition: alongside the randomly generated planets, both "half and halfs" and "exploration cluster", the main scripted arc(s) and the factions...hold a competition for Foundry authors to make additional planets to pad out the content (which suitable rewards ofc). it could even be an ongoing thing and new type of base Foundary project specifically tied in to this mission format...and the players ? well they wouldn't know what they were going to get (except that it would be of winning standard)...which is kinda half the fun :P
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Issues I see with this.

1st. We all have transwarp drive and once you get to VA you also have Slipstream. If janeway had we we have, Voyager would have been at best a mini-series. Within the canon of the game, travel times are plummeting. Within one of the Lore chips, it talks about "Eat breakfast at DS9 and being on Cetus III in time for a baseball game." via the transwarp network.

2nd the logistics. my inventory. my supplies. my doffs now halfway across the galaxy. If this was some sort of seperated section of the game map, with rapid back and forth travel (IE Gamma Orionas and Pela) that would be much more reasonable.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)