test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scimitar Bridge looks rushed

stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
I'm sry but my bud purchased the thing today and showed me the bridge, not only was it a huge let down, it looks nothing the the movie version, on top of that the thing has an engine room built inside the bridge.

Seriously it looks like TRIBBLE.

Romulan bridges up to this point looked, outstanding, but the Scim Bridge just spells RUSH all over it.

They should have made an entire interior for it in my opinion, what a disappointment.
StarTrekIronMan.jpg
Post edited by stark2k on

Comments

• Options
    dan512dan512 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Looked like the movie to me.

Also if you actually saw the movie, thats NOT a engine room, thats where the thalaron mix's at behind the bridge. So i really wonder if you know how accurate it is if you dont knwo that :)
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    stark2k wrote: »
    I'm sry but my bud purchased the thing today and showed me the bridge, not only was it a huge let down, it looks nothing the the movie version, on top of that the thing has an engine room built inside the bridge.

Romulan bridges up to this point looked, outstanding, but the Scim Bridge just spells RUSH all over it.

They should have made an entire interior for it in my opinion, what a disappointment.

You don't feel it's worth $25 dollars? :O On another note, I felt Borts had an awesome bridge for a store ship. :)
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »
    You don't feel it's worth $25 dollars? :O On another note, I felt Borts had an awesome bridge for a store ship. :)

I agree, the Bortas bridge is absolutely outstanding. I think the Scimitar bridge could use a bit of work though.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Looks very fair to me (going on the single small blog image). After all, STO has to adhere to the Joseph Merrick school of design principles - "if you can't fit an elephant in the instance, then go back to the drawing board". This is what we can compare it to: http://i.imgur.com/BHSowK3.gif
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I honestly wanted a bit more, at least a Nemesis-style ready room.
  • Options
    zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just don't feel noble enough sitting at the foot of the stairs rather than at the top where everyone would have to trudge up to worship my royal a ss piously like they made a pilgrimage. It's kind of disheartening this way.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Would've been great to see some corridors, that room with the big viewport where Picard and Data escaped through, or the interrogation-type room Picard was held in, or a part of the Scorpion Hangar Bay.

Cryptic Studios. "It's quick. It's cheap. You'll still pay for it."
  • Options
    tairisdeamhantairisdeamhan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It really is a let down. At least they could have put the rest of the generic romulan ship in (mess hall, etc)
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Only real disappointments I have with the Scimitar's bridge is that the viewscreen looks real generic and that you can't access other rooms on the ship. Surely we could've had access to the Singularity Core, the lounge, and Shinzon's Ready Room.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There wasn't even a walk-off corridor like in the final scenes of the movie. I searched around on my friend's Scimitar bridge for it, and all I found were two small doors which did absolutely nothing.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    dan512 wrote: »
    Looked like the movie to me.

Also if you actually saw the movie, that's NOT a engine room, that's where the thalaron mix's at behind the bridge. So i really wonder if you know how accurate it is if you don't know that :)

Actually it doesn't, not by a long shot, and yes I've seen that terrible movie called Star Trek Nemesis. ---> See link to pictorial review ---> Star Trek Nemesis Review

I may have been mistaken about the engine room part, but it's stupid placing a huge Tholaron Chamber right behind the bridge compartment. The whole design is utter tripe.

I rather have them build a new bridge from the ground up, ala Bortas bridge or Oddy Bridge.

Case in point, its TRIBBLE poor work, that has a last minute feel to it. It almost seems like the quality art work for ship bridges since the TOS Bridge, Defiant Bridge, Bortas and Oddy has taken a deep nose dive.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited July 2013
    The viewscreen is really bad, sorry to say. It is a sore thumb in an otherwise okay bridge.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The bridges in this game are completely lacking overall. To be honest they should just monetize the ship interior system altogether by having theme unlocks for zen (i.e. belfast, tos, release some others), and then specific things unlocked through a quasi-reputation system (i.e. mail/bank/exchange and other things), plus having vanity unlocks through that rep system as well. Could make them require appropriate amounts of dilithium.

There's so much they could do with the ship interior system that they are missing out on.

To limit the amount of work done by actual employees they could host contests for foundry map builders to do most of the work for them. Just offer some prize that ultimately doesn't cost cryptic a thing and people would do it. This could create the bridge sets and then all cryptic would have to do is figure out all the cool stuff they could put on it (there's really so much it's not even funny...) and charge appropriately.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Actually it doesn't, not by a long shot, and yes I've seen that terrible movie called Star Trek Nemesis. ---> See link to pictorial review ---> Star Trek Nemesis Review

I may have been mistaken about the engine room part, but it's stupid placing a huge Tholaron Chamber right behind the bridge compartment. The whole design is utter tripe.

I rather have them build a new bridge from the ground up, ala Bortas bridge or Oddy Bridge.

Case in point, its TRIBBLE poor work, that has a last minute feel to it. It almost seems like the quality art work for ship bridges since the TOS Bridge, Defiant Bridge, Bortas and Oddy has taken a deep nose dive.

Why would they build a brand new bridge for a ship that already had a bridge, so people can b**** that the bridge from the movie is not there.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Why would they build a brand new bridge for a ship that already had a bridge, so people can b**** that the bridge from the movie is not there.

because they built the bridges for the Bbortesqu, the Odyssey the entire federation offering ( pay and in game ) and the entire Klingon offering. Those people get a trophy wall and an engineering and science section, we get a console where we can talk to doff's. no trophy wall, no enginering, science or anything else in this ship. The dynamics of the ship are awesome, the capabilities are awesome, the exterior is magnificent, the enterior is a complete and utter fail.. Like was said, even the viewscreen is a pasted on badly copied piece of TRIBBLE where the stars dont even move like they do on fed and klingon ships.. I dont care if the bridge isnt like the movies, the ship is a third the size of the movie ship so IT isnt like the movies, but its a good ship, bottom line though is that the bridge sux weenies on an iceburg. its that bad
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2013
    If you think you can do better... http://crypticstudios.com/openings
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2013
    If we're building something that has been shown on screen somewhere, you can bet your butts that we'll do our best to build that. If it was never shown, well, obviously we have to build it from scratch (i.e. Suliban Bridge). The Scimitar Bridge was shown, fairly well, in Nemesis. So we built that. If you don't like the placement of the captain's chair or the thalaron device, take it up with the original designers.

The Bortas, Odyssey, and others were never shown in any TV Show, or Movie (because we invent them) so we can do whatever we want, and no one can tell us we're wrong. (not that it stops them)
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    If we're building something that has been shown on screen somewhere, you can bet your butts that we'll do our best to build that. If it was never shown, well, obviously we have to build it from scratch (i.e. Suliban Bridge). The Scimitar Bridge was shown, fairly well, in Nemesis. So we built that. If you don't like the placement of the captain's chair or the thalaron device, take it up with the original designers.

The Bortas, Odyssey, and others were never shown in any TV Show, or Movie (because we invent them) so we can do whatever we want, and no one can tell us we're wrong. (not that it stops them)

What happened to the Intrepid-class bridge?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wufangchu wrote: »
    because they built the bridges for the Bbortesqu, the Odyssey the entire federation offering ( pay and in game ) and the entire Klingon offering. Those people get a trophy wall and an engineering and science section, we get a console where we can talk to doff's. no trophy wall, no enginering, science or anything else in this ship. The dynamics of the ship are awesome, the capabilities are awesome, the exterior is magnificent, the enterior is a complete and utter fail.. Like was said, even the viewscreen is a pasted on badly copied piece of TRIBBLE where the stars dont even move like they do on fed and klingon ships.. I dont care if the bridge isnt like the movies, the ship is a third the size of the movie ship so IT isnt like the movies, but its a good ship, bottom line though is that the bridge sux weenies on an iceburg. its that bad

I must have missed where the lock box ships got all that, or the Andorian ship.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I think the bridge itself looks just fine and it's a good copy from nemesis.

The issue i have is that there is no interior, now i'm not asking for a brand new interior just for the scimitar, but you guys did such an AMAZING job on the standard romulan interior and it's very sad to see that i can't access that with the scimitar bridge, only with the standard romulan bridge. And well, since i'm in a scimitar i want to use the scimitar bridge.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If we're building something that has been shown on screen somewhere, you can bet your butts that we'll do our best to build that.

The what happened with the Galaxy and Sovereign bridges?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU

On a side note i do enjoy the look of the Adapted battle Cruisers bridge, i just wish more ships had custom interiors rather than just bridges.

Any word yet on when we'll get the NX-01 interior or if the old bridges will be reworked to be more accurate in scaling?
  • Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Ask him if he felt it was worth the Zen he used to buy it. Was it?
    -Makbure
  • Options
    lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Congratulations! Fools now our friendly Forum-Taconian is pissed off.
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • Options
    zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would hope not. (Obviously) I was just kidding around about the captain's chair. ;)

PS: And if I offended I am sorry. Dry humor... O.o
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What happened to the Intrepid-class bridge?

... and the Galaxy and Sovereign bridges for that matter. I'm not buying it.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wufangchu wrote: »
    *rant snipped* I dont care if the bridge isnt like the movies, the ship is a third the size of the movie ship so IT isnt like the movies, but its a good ship *rant snipped*

I'll stop you right there- the ship's size is perfect. It's 890 meters long in canon and it's more or less exactly that length in-game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well check out the Movie version pic ---> MOVIE Version & Movie Version II

Okay so I take my words back in regards to authentic look, Cryptic does have the basic design down, however; it still feels rush and shoddy.

It needed more attention to details in regards to lighting and console effects, reminds me of the bland looking Kumari bridge with the two Direct TV dishes at the foot of the Captain's chair, lol.

I must admit that thalaron generator looks cool, and the effects are awesome looking - but its placement is a bit awkward and cries for bigger interior design.

Why not use the interior design from the LoR, just add a Scorpion fighter hanger bay interior.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2013
    The game has been around for a few years. I think we can all agree that there are things that were made in the past that don't measure up. When I say things like I said above, I mean them for the team as it stands today. There is nothing I can do to make teams in the past do better work, but I can guarantee that the env team does a ton of research on every environment they make. Canon or not.

P.S. not offended, just clarifying. I had nothing to do with the Scimitar.

Edit: I built that Kumari bridge. And I did a lot of work, and some fighting, to keep it as close to screen accurate as I could. That includes the "direct TV dishes." Again, if you think it's shoddy, I think that's more of a reflection on the original design than on our work. The Andorian bridge was a throw away. It was built for a few scenes in maybe 2 episodes. They did not devote the time and effort to it that they did for the Enterprise bridge, for what I hope are obvious reasons. There are those that argue that what we built should have been fancier, and look more like 2409. I argue that we're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't. As it is, I choose to lean towards screen accuracy over timeline accuracy.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I gotta say that comparing the two images side by side you did a really good job on getting it as close as possible.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    elderdrake123elderdrake123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am thankful for this thread as I nearly dropped money on this.

I love the game, lifetime subbed to it and have spent $100s on it because I believe in it. That said, I think the team cuts corners on things...a LOT. I am talking about wandering a bridge and finding that cells do not link up properly (found in particular near doors) and you can see straight out into space through a huge gap. ot though and back on topic...

For $25 or $50 I expect at the very least a Captain's Ready Room and would it hurt to seriously have a turbolift to go to a stock Romulan Engineering deck? Personnel deck? The Romulan ships decks are amazing and finding out that a(the) Romulan flagship C-Store bundle pack had this cut out is all sorts of lame and weak.

These ships are expensive and although I can respect the bridge looking sub par due to the original canon design...I am sure Shinzon had a ready room (Captain's room), and I am sure the bridge had a turbolift that worked. Not incorporating them is straight lazy and a quick rush it out move to the C-Store to rake in money from everyone craving this ship.

What a let down.