test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

At what point will multiple rep systems stop you from creating new characters?

Comments

• masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I stopped bothering making new alts, in fact i stopped caring for most of my already existing ones.

The saddest part about this whole reputation system its making PvP even more miserable then it already is.

Every rep they add increases the gap between newcomers and oldskool players even more.

So much for Cryptic actually wanting to make PvP better ey? Oh wait, they dont.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
  • claransaclaransa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Short and sweet answer... when it came out.

I'm grinding rep on one toon, my main, and won't ever bother doing it on any of my alts. They became bank toons the day Cryptic put reputation projects on live.

That said I'm not necessarily against the reputation system, its okay once.

Winter Event - Romulan Reputation done
    still working on everything else and they keep adding more. :eek:
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Unless you're in a top fleet with unlimited access to everything and anything there is no point to pvp. That only leaves PVE/FLEET/STF. For PVE and Fleet you don't really need anything specific, obviously the better the gear the better you'll be, but it isn't a necessity. If you don't have access to fleet gear than that just leaves you rep gear for preparing for Elite STFs where quality gear matters.

I've seen plenty of players just save up for the Aegis set or even just use the Breen, Jem or other free sets and manage to do just fine so there real question isn't what point do you stop doing multiple reps, but is there even a reason to.

I'm a Rom, so I wanted to check out the Rom rep so I'm bothering with that one, and there are some decent abilities on the Omega rep so I might bother with that one, but that's about it otherwise I would just go it with the free or exchange gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Someday when all my 3 Fed Tac , 1 Eng and 1 Sci have all and my Tac Kling and my Tac Rom. I might level up 2 more Kling and Rom (Sci,Eng) but then can take some years maybe if not mutch more Rep System come.

I think 4 Rep Systems are enough now. Maybe 1 more Spec Event after Winter and Summer.

only with 1 i have all Events done at moment with 1 more i could have all soon when i play some Mirror Events Hours
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • chris919ukchris919uk Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    At present I have Omega T3 and Romulan T3 rep done on my Romulan KDF main character. Nukara is also nearly at T2 but tbh I have no plans to go further than Nukara T2. I'm now spending time getting what I want from the Mk XI Omega and Rom sets because I feel like I'm endlessly grinding rep and getting no real returns. I expect I'll take this character to T5 Omega/Rom rep eventually.

My alt is a Fed and I have nearly Omega T3 and Romulan T3 done but I'm seriously bored with doing the rep since thats all I'm doing on my main. I don't have the time to do this on 2 characters really so I've started avoiding playing my Fed.

I recently rolled an Orion so I can eventually use the Vo'Quv carrier I bought off the exchange and I will say now that I have absolutely no intention of doing any rep on this character ever because its bloody boring and after a while kills my enjoyment of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I currently have 22x characters (+1 mule on an Alt-Silver account, who never gets played, only used for the occasional utility functions):

11x Feds
    9x KDF
    2x RR

I have maxed all three Reps on my Main, and will "always" complete Reps on that character. I have Omega/Rom Rep completed on 4 (nearly 5) "primary" alts, the ones that get regular play time in my rotation. Nukara? Only completed thus far on my Main. Since there's no real End Reward (like a sum of Dil or Marks, as the other Reps) or worthy Mk XII gear, I will probably not bother finishing it on any other... I have one or two Scis that may go to T4, the rest of the Primary Alts will stop by T2.

The remaining Secondary Alts were mostly made for thematic reasons (my Vulcan captain and "all" Vulcan crew D'kyr, for example). These rarely get played, so will likely never get Reps.

Since Reps were introduced, I've created 4x characters: An Andorian I made just before the Andorian ships coming out (but he's still only L38 and I never did buy the ships, HA!), my 2x Rommies, and a new KDF "Pirate" that I want to put in the Risian Corvette. At least one of the Roms will get Omega/Rom Rep-leveled (maybe L2 Nukara). Probably not the others.

I see no point that multiple Reps will stop character creation. I figure as the system progresses... Say this time next year when there are (guessing) 5 or 6 Reps... I figure I'll keep my Main updated as new ones are released. All my alts (new or created) will continue to pick and choose, depending what any given Rep offers.

Some day, when there's 20 Reps, the only people who will have them all will be the Vets. The "norm" will be that New players (and most Alts) might only specialize in one or two.

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I will still create new alts, as I like to have one captain per ship, with a few excpetions. But I'm not grinding rep on all of them, since most of them end up being doffers/miners for the most part. And even my main hasn't started on Nakura rep yet. Unless something comes over as OMG powerful, I'll stick to building my characters per a theory, and not just going for everything as it comes out.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Mostly I don't bother trying to level rep on all of my characters, not even my main. Highest I have in anything is T4 Romulan rep.

As it is, I don't have enough Zen/Dil/EC to get all of the things I'd like to have and I don't have the luxury of time or money to do it for one character let alone all of them.

My main will probably eventually be at least Tier 1-2 in all of them. I'm not in a big hurry. On my alts, I will pick and choose but probably not get much past T2-T3 in one or two reps.

The system was never designed to allow everyone to max out everything, so I don't sweat it. I'd rather play my alts the way I want to because I like playing different characters.

That said, I think the Rep system is too much of a grind and it's too expensive to collect the project requirements. I wish it was more time/achievement based and less about time/currency. If it were about completing mission arcs, or DOFF chains, it would be less tedious and I'd be a lot more interested in trying to complete it.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • allen78j20stoallen78j20sto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have 4, 2 fed 1 kdf and 1 rom. I only do rep on my main fed and kdf, mainly as an afterthought. If I look and I have enough marks and items to move it along ill do it but its a pain and I never liked grinding. Ill never do nukara.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »

[SNIP]

The system was never designed to allow everyone to max out everything, so I don't sweat it. I'd rather play my alts the way I want to because I like playing different characters.

That said, I think the Rep system is too much of a grind and it's too expensive to collect the project requirements. I wish it was more time/achievement based and less about time/currency. If it were about completing mission arcs, or DOFF chains, it would be less tedious and I'd be a lot more interested in trying to complete it.

I rather question the idea that the rep system not being designed to allow everyone to max out everything, or if it was, I think it was done poorly. A well designed system that was designed to not allow everyone to max out in everything would make it so that each rep chain would have competing advantages, and not complimentary ones. Parts of the rep systems have this, like the Nakura aux passive, since not everyone uses high aux, but most of it doesn't, like the Omega damage boosts, or the Romulan sensor disablement.

The problem with that, from Cryptic's point of view, is that if you don't make each rep system usable, then no one will buy it. Its the same reason why they set it up as a grind for items and not a grind for time, its easier to charge for items in a F2P game. Cryptic have made the game so that there is the maximum amount of oppertunity for money to make your grind easier. Unfortunately that also means that the game isn't much fun if you don't pay.

All the aboove IMHO of course.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have one Fed with Tier 5 Omega and Romulus and Tier III Nukara
    I have one KDF with Tier 5 Omega and Romulus and Tier III Nukara
    And one Romulan Lvl 7 I think and really can't seem levelling him anymore for main reasons

Can't be allied to Tal Shiar (This is the whole reason i wanted a romulan in the first place)

However back on topic
    I doubt very much that I will continue grinding if my romulan will ever get to the level that would require me to grind the romulus and omega and *sigh* nukara marks as it has got awfully tedious and keeps me away from doing other things in game like the new story missions or doing my dilithium mining

Also especially for Nukara marks there isn't much to do and there is only so much you can Azure nebula etc before you are just bored.

My Pc has broken and is in for repair so like another poster i'm taking a small sabbatical for the game and only time will tell if I return or make the sabbatical longer when my laptop is fixed.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    on the original question posed:

It already has.

I made a reman when all this came out.. once he hit 50.. BOOM.. Mothballed..

I will not rep grind a new toon on all these damn reps. Its a pain enough just to grind away at the new ones they add, with all my current characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The rep grind actually reduced my time on STO when it came out. Once I got to the point I had far too much to do to be competitive (read vaguely useful in an STF with fleeties) I just gave up and went back to LOTRO. I will still make alts but pretty much none of them will rep grind at all now, but on the plus side since they will not have much effort put into them I can recycle toon slots now and not have to buy any more in future :)

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just finished getting my 3 Federation and 3 KDF characters to Tier 5 Nukara Reputation just a week ago. Beginning the new grind to unlock all the Nukara store.

My Romulans, my Rom Sci is now halfway through Tier 5 on all rep, my other two are around Tier 3 all reps.

I will tell you, this grind on top of the Summer Event is just massively taxing. I have to stay up late at night and gotten 4-hours sleep since LoR. (I know, its massively pathetic and stupid).

So I won't be making no more characters. In fact, I regret even starting a Romulan due to this insatiable grind. Because it's literally killing me.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Personally, I tend to ignore all the new reps they bring.

As I like to play STFs here and there, I intend to max Omega reputation on all new toons I'll make. (Also, Omega seems to me like the only one being done easily enough.)

New Rom reputation is maxed on my FED and KDF toons, but I'm still undecided on when or whether even do it on my ROM toons (or any other new toons in the future for that matter).

Tholian reputation: Haven't started it on any of old or new toons...

So to answer the question in the title: Never, since I don't give a damn about other than Omega reputation.

(Btw., it's similar with other character unlocks: While I have access to some nice Fleet ships, I haven't yet gotten any. While I've been offered Fleet items, I didn't want them. Overall, I very much dislike to pay dilithium for stuff, which is often the case for character unlocks.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited July 2013
    Mostly I don't bother trying to level rep on all of my characters, not even my main. Highest I have in anything is T4 Romulan rep.

As it is, I don't have enough Zen/Dil/EC to get all of the things I'd like to have and I don't have the luxury of time or money to do it for one character let alone all of them.

My main will probably eventually be at least Tier 1-2 in all of them. I'm not in a big hurry. On my alts, I will pick and choose but probably not get much past T2-T3 in one or two reps.

So what you're basically saying is that not everyone should be equal? This hurts PvP more then anything. Even if only 1% of the community does that aparently.

On the other hand, if it was not designed for 'everyone' to get to max, why is it theoretically possible? I got a few toons to max tier 5 all.

In my eyes its simply 'Grind your *ss off for a month day in day out to get an advantage over others.

Cryptics view is 'to keep people logging in everyday and keep playing'

Powercreep, thats all.

Make content, dont add grind.

btw I know your view isnt per se Cryptics view, so it wasnt specifically at you ;)
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The system was never designed to allow everyone to max out everything, so I don't sweat it.

Since this statement has been called into question, I will merely say that back when the Reputation system was first announced the Devs discussed this point and stated that they didn't expect people to grind up to T-5 in every Reputation on every toon. They said they envisioned the Rep system as a way for characters to distinguish themselves. By implication, some toons will specialize in some Reps and some in others. People who "gotta get 'em all" will advance far more slowly than those who specialize.

Of course there will be exceptions, but my guess is that my experience of the game is fairly typical and that that expectation is probably right on the money.

I'd go find where it was said, but I don't want to. So feel free to take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Yes, potentially, given enough time and/or money, you can max out every toon in every Reputation. I fail to see why anybody would WANT to grind that out, but if they do I have no problem with them having exceptional in-game rewards for doing it.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Since this statement has been called into question, I will merely say that back when the Reputation system was first announced the Devs discussed this point and stated that they didn't expect people to grind up to T-5 in every Reputation on every toon. They said they envisioned the Rep system as a way for characters to distinguish themselves. By implication, some toons will specialize in some Reps and some in others. People who "gotta get 'em all" will advance far more slowly than those who specialize.

Of course there will be exceptions, but my guess is that my experience of the game is fairly typical and that that expectation is probably right on the money.

My experience matches this too. I play what I want to play. Rewards pile up. I spend them where they get me "stuff that's handy". Some of my characters have finished the rep, some have not. Some I play and never even bother to claim earned rewards or set new rep projects for days at a time.

I'm having fun. I'm not grinding. It's not even a "gotta have it all" it's "I want is NOWNOWNOW". Without any grind, I'll have all my characters at t5 in all three reps sometime next year.

It's only the people who need it right away that experience it as a grind.

For them, yup, it's gotta be brutal.
    edited July 2013
    So if the main consensus by the majority of the community is they dont care about it or they only care until a certain point (tier 3~)

why not ditch 4 and 5? or simply reduce this rediculous amount of time investement to get it all the way to tier 5.

If nobody cares why does it exist in the first place. Again a system like this doesnt give anything interesting for people, and on the other hand can only hurt stuff that is already miserable in this game. I can hardly say the word which begins with P and ends with P,

Every time they add new reputation the gap widens for this particular group for newcomers and oldies.

Just sayin. If cryptic even cares a single bit about that particular and pretty neglected part of this game for 3 years now they should act.
  • shineshadowshineshadow Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Never. I'm not the kind of lunatic who feels obligated to bring every single character to the absolute pinnacle of advancement in every possible category.
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am pretty much burned out on 4 total characters, and I wont lie, lately I hava had a lot of free time to spend on sto. I have just realized that I spend more time tediusly grinding for rep so I can be viable in pvp (except on my romulan who was op out of the box, no rep required, god help anyone when I get rep).

I am not having fun playing the game as much anymore, my interest is waning. I really want to play my 'main' but these marks, or this rep needs grinding, or I have to go out and pay Another $100 to get the latest meta ship/doffs/etc so I can compete.

I really want to make a romulan on kdf, but... such a tedium. Maybe that is the goal. More alys = more dili = less zen paid for with real $$. Get ready for even more rep systems.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So how about you? How are you taking the grind in stride?

How many characters will you maintain if they add another 1, 2, 3 or even 4 new Rep systems?

If in 1 year from now, there are a total of 6 Rep systems - would you even dare create a new character?

Keep in mind we have gotten 3 full Rep systems in the past 6/7 months.

What happens when a new faction is launched and you have to start all of it over again?

The Rep systems won't stop me from creating new toons because I simply won't do them.
    Why go through all that TRIBBLE AGAIN?

Right now, the purple gear on the Exchange is good enough and will be for any/all new toons...unless the Rep sets are insanely buffed.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • stonedpenguinstonedpenguin Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2013
    Thankfully my FED/KDF toons were farmed before this rep system was introduced, in the system where you could go out and farm your gear and atleast get your hands on one item of choice from ur avg. evening of play. Without spending Dilithium.

My Romulan however needs his Romulan Plasmas MK XII and unfortunatly atleast one space set just to satisfy my needs for set bonuses (which all 3 have pretty bad 3pc, WHY?).

Will I do it again? No way, this system is so tedious. Why is it 20hr timed? Its stupid, it not only forces me to wait for the gear but now I have no reason to farm omega marks given that the current daily projects only need 1-2 stfs, I'm T4 havn't done an STF since T1 because I farmed 1000+ marks doing elites. Take away the timer atleast that way people can grind it at their own pace like before. But now I know I have atleast 2 months (est.) to grind REP on any character that I take to 50.

The Romulan Rep is slightly different in the fact there are alot less Qs for it. Running around romulus for an hour doing those painful missions is a joke when I can just run the daily Tau Dewa by sitting idle/afk in a space encounter. I don't by the way I actually enjoy farming Tholians but there is always 10-20 ppl sat their idle at spawn.

Im not even bothering with the other as it has no space other than Azure nebula (multi) which gives half on avg. compared to other Qs that take the same time. Increase the respawn rate on that map jesus.

This also causes a huge gap in endgame content between older and newer players because of all the passives not even taking the gear into account.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I dont have the energy or will to level more than 2 toons (a tac and a sci) in the rep systems. When they are leveled, I might pick up grinding (replace one grind for the next) for another toon... but that Dil Mine just opened, so... may focus there.

I get Cryptics stance that the Rep is meant to be an individual toon's accomplishment, and would even support it if it were an accomplishment not attained through grinding.

Personally, while I do not think that the rep system should be "account wide", I do think that you should be granted a discount % for each toon at T5 in X rep... To at least not make creating a new toon feel so daunting as you see all these empty boxes to fill.

So each toon past the first is slightly faster to level, and the next faster yet, and so on until ... you reach a point where they just unlock (say 10 toons (more than I have active btw).

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Since this statement has been called into question, I will merely say that back when the Reputation system was first announced the Devs discussed this point and stated that they didn't expect people to grind up to T-5 in every Reputation on every toon.

What a developer expects and what makes sense from a business standpoint are often not exactly in alignment.

When you are selling a lot of single character unlocks, in a game with paper thin content - most people will end up making a lot of alts to try different things out.

If they decide not to, because of the design of one particular system across multiple characters - that's really a shame, and I think potentially a loss in sales of more single character unlocks.

I've got 10 characters with full T5 Rom & Omega Rep.

I have 2 that were abandoned halfway through that.

I have 1 new Romulan character that will have T5/5/5 this week.

But going forward, it's most likely the case that I will abandon most of the original 10, and focus only on a smaller handful of 2 or 3.

For me, that means I won't be building a new character around a new ship the way that I used to, and to convince me to buy new ships means it needs a clear use or advantage over the ones I have.
  • mccarronxldmccarronxld Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's getting to the point where the Rep systems are not only preventing me from playing other characters.. but from logging in at all. The only thing I seem to do when I log on is grind stuff for the Rep projects, start them, and log off feeling worse than before I logged in. That's just on one character. To think I'll have to do this more times than once (have over 30 characters) is simply defeating.

Ironic that a system that is meant to keep players busy between content is turning them away. The whole "Daily" system that is present in MMOs these days is a poor model... but that is an argument for another day.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."
  • flatmattflatmatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Honestly, if I'm delaying making new characters due to the rep system, it's because I'm still enjoying playing my existing characters, largely in those rep missions. I haven't started a new character to play through the new KDF stuff because I don't want to be distracted from my two Feds, one KDF, and one Rom, all of whom I really like.

Meanwhile, I don't feel the need to do the Tholian rep on my Fed tactical, nor do I feel the need to advance any of the reps for my KDF engineer, because I rarely play either of those characters these days.

Dn'Dok, son of Ladok - Klingon/Romulan Engineer ~~ Mosa M'ren-faa - Ferasan Tactical
    Krushan Twinn - Orion Science
  • thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ...I started a whole bunch of alts and couldn't even bring myself to get through the story content again......let alone the reputation stuff....but for pure masochism I think I'm going to try......:D

To answer the question: If they add another rep grind within a year, another full blown reputation, not a special event one......that would probably cause me to hang it up.....[Another way of looking at it; I just need time to catch up, that is if I can summon the willpower...]
  • beaglestanibeaglestani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I used to have 6 Characters, now I have 1. Just way too much grind, even repeating the story missions gets old.
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    According to Geko and this Massively Interview, there will be a new Reputation with the next Season.

I have nothing against grinding, but what we have in STO is beyond grinding, it has become a job outside my job.

Cryptic it is enough, make them account wide!
    Bridger.png