test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A solution for the no-bikini crisis

hylanvahrhylanvahr Member Posts: 110 Arc User
...or "How non-Orion females can feel like they're on vacation in a sunny paradise, and not be forced to grind favors in order to dress up as crocodile hunting prudes with flower wreaths when their ship's replicators could easily make them any clothing they want, even though we know STO ignores this simple fact of the lore due to game design limitations."

Okay, apologies for the poke in the eye, Cryptic. Many of us love you guys, we really do, however, I'm not writing this thread for me, but rather for the ridiculous number of "Why me no bikini bum-bum hanging out gimme now!" threads that want what the Risian NPCs and Orions already cut loose in.

Let's be real why Cryptic denies us the fancy anal-bum covers with barely-there tops: they don't want this to become near 100% Bikinis Online. They can control WHAT they give us to wear, they just can't control WHEN and WHERE we wear them. If swimsuits were open in the tailor, the silly Orion bikini culture would be so widespread and dominate, the ESRB might be alerted by a "concerned" customer and be tempted to consider bumping STO's parental guidance rating up a notch. Does Cryptic Studios and CBS want this marketing embarrassment for their family-friendly franchise? TRIBBLE to the no! Not to mention how dumb it would be to have people in the Winter Event showing up in bikinis (as if the Orion femme players already didn't do that last time...Q should've made them froze to death over and over and over...)

That said, there might be a way to temporarily alleviate the problem: offer the swimsuits and their assorted varieties in the Favors Vendor as purchasable bound-on-pickup items that can be activated only while on Risa like the floater packs, similar to the GPL store personal hologram emitters. Make them 600 favors, and ostensibly lower the price for the existing special costumes since they will instantly become less desirable with the introduction of swimsuit items. Yes, this takes away the ability to customize colors and match different pieces with each other, but it's the only way to please the lecherous crowd while dodging the problem I mentioned above which I'm positive the devs have already pondered in meetings months ago.
Post edited by hylanvahr on

Comments

• marksamuelsonmarksamuelson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me. You should be able to get swimwear of some sort on Risa and not just shorts and whatever tops you already have.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I really do not think the "bikini crisis" (love that :D ) is because of everybody and their dad would from now on and forever after play their chars in inappropriate uniforms (more than half the playerbase does already anyway).

STO is not the only MMO on the market & the amout of MMOs where the players are allowed to wear outfits that show moderate to a lot of skin is MASSIVE. I played several of them and the, to some ppl shocking, truth is that a lot of players in these do NOT usually wear the bikini as armor of choice.

I am very sure that cryptic just was not ready to release swimsuits because of player model conflics they still need to solve. Look around in the forums on clothing bugs, you will stumble on a lot of them.

Its a dwoner to see all the nice stuff on NPCs we cannot have (even combinations of clothing we can have but not combine that way like beach shots & TOS mirror top) but its ridiculus to think some kind of fanatic religious dark age thinking all of the sudden came over any of the deciding partys (CBS, Cryptic, PWE and those I might have forgotten).

There are no arguments against swimsuits besides "not ready for shipping yet". Everything else I have read as a contra ranges from uneducated to very uneducated regarding:

1. other, much stronger, materials all these partys have in other kid friendly products
    2. Star Trek, from TOS to even the newest movie, itself and
    3. my latest visit to a beach on a hot day in real life.

tl/dr: reality check failed; its just not finished yet.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A simple solution would have been to allow these clothing options, but to have them be worn only when on Risa. As soon as you beam down, you'd get a window pop up saying "do you wish to switch to something more comfortable" to which you'd say yes, and there you are.

Upon returning to your ship, or any other location, you would default to your first costume option. It really would have been that simple.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Couldn't they just have an item or npc located in the summer event that dresses your character in swimwear and expires after leaving or set amount of time. Sort of like how Q could morph your character in Winter event, although this would just be clothes changed. That way there could be swimwear without worrying about it being everywhere.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Couldn't they just have an item or npc located in the summer event that dresses your character in swimwear and expires after leaving or set amount of time. Sort of like how Q could morph your character in Winter event, although this would just be clothes changed. That way there could be swimwear without worrying about it being everywhere.

Finally a suggestion that at least makes some sense.

But then there is apparently no problem and there is no one at all in game who creates their characters with large TRIBBLE and skimpy clothing to ogle them. Not one single person at all.

At least that's what I'm told anyway.
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    A simple solution would have been to allow these clothing options, but to have them be worn only when on Risa. As soon as you beam down, you'd get a window pop up saying "do you wish to switch to something more comfortable" to which you'd say yes, and there you are.

Upon returning to your ship, or any other location, you would default to your first costume option. It really would have been that simple.

Now this is a perfect idea.

The only improvement i could suggest is that after it asks you if you want to change, you get a choice of 5-6 different types (They could be unlockable)
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The simplest solution is to add swimwear costume options, with no restrictions on usage. Orions get bikinis. You can make very skimpy outfits from "uniform" pieces. There is no justification whatsoever for holding out on us.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dumb idea. I don't think it's possible to allow certain outfit pieces only to be used in a certain map. Now if they made the whole outfit an equipable personal armor that can only show the visuals on the map that's different. (Think of armor visuals like the MACO, Omega, and Lobi store Jem'Hadar set upgrade) But then you wouldn't be able to mix and match the pieces.
  • docroguedocrogue Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Possible approach: Armor set is like a 'key' that allows access to a special Risian Planet costume slot that works only on Risa. You could then unlock and mix and match various costume pieces, but can only use/see the swimsuit and armor when on Risa or similar planet missions or specially designated various social zones or areas (holodecks in future possibly in ship).

If this is really even a problem or concern. The more likelihood is needed extra time to prepare all of the various character art tops (as stated in other threads about this spines, trill spotting with color palette, etc.) and leg body areas for the whole character; to display it all properly. Some textures are already in the game, but ALL species should enjoy Risa. So I remain hopeful that by next year if not earlier since the zone is staying we'll see swimsuits. Have to do it right for all because we know how us STO players can be otherwise, so understood if the best way to do it is for all, in my opinion.

I've really been reading everything about this and I remain hopeful it will be implemented by next event, swimsuits for all hopefully. We'll see. I'm wanting swimsuits for our characters. While I agree it would be cool to have them unrestricted, I can see some people's concerns.
    To that end if this is a concern allow us to wear or use this proposed Risian costume slot on board our ships as well? Using the foundry to create holodeck programs for our ship in the future perhaps? Or the proposed interior design using the foundry? The future is looking bright the near and far future for STO.
  • robrocks1robrocks1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dumb idea. I don't think it's possible to allow certain outfit pieces only to be used in a certain map.

You've clearly not played the Mind Game, Temporal Ambassador or the Rura Penthe missions, all of which force you to wear outfits, either by disabling your others (Temporal Ambassador) or by forcing certain parts on to you (Mind Game, Rura Penthe).

Buying some flower accents allows my Orion to take off even more of her "uniform", yet everyone else gets potato sacks to wear.
  • apersont1apersont1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    Finally a suggestion that at least makes some sense.

But then there is apparently no problem and there is no one at all in game who creates their characters with large TRIBBLE and skimpy clothing to ogle them. Not one single person at all.

At least that's what I'm told anyway.

I see the point of your argument against swimwear, i can't stand adolescent 14 yr olds who make female characters just to look at their backsides.

But seriously, if the kids want to waste their social life, let them, it doesn't effect you in any way.

I personaly want the barechest option available for off-duty Gorn so i can actually use the risian shorts i bought. Gimme that and i will be happy.
    MTV Cribs eat your heart out
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm of the opinion that you should allow players the most choice possible. If people want to run around in bikinis, let them. If someone is running around ESD or Qo'nos or New Romulus in a bikini, for RP purposes just assume they're going to a holodeck Risa program. It's not like the bikini is the only skimpy option Fed side anyway. It's certainly less immersion breaking than some of the character names or fugly uniforms people choose.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Somehow I think that people being able to create replicas of the Joker, Darth Maul and Na'vi from avatar are a hundredfold more immersion breaking than a swimsuit could ever be. :rolleyes:
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Somehow I think that people being able to create replicas of the Joker, Darth Maul and Na'vi from avatar are a hundredfold more immersion breaking than a swimsuit could ever be. :rolleyes:

Bingo. Nailed it. :D
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Precisely.

Too bad Cryptic doesn't see things that way.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We are way past immersion breaking as far as Star Trek goes.

Besides, all they have to do is limit the swimwear to only Risa.....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dumb idea. I don't think it's possible to allow certain outfit pieces only to be used in a certain map. Now if they made the whole outfit an equipable personal armor that can only show the visuals on the map that's different. (Think of armor visuals like the MACO, Omega, and Lobi store Jem'Hadar set upgrade) But then you wouldn't be able to mix and match the pieces.

I'd probably just have an item that costs 1000 favors. Using the item opens up the ability to speak to an NPC who recostumes you ala Temporal Ambassador.

Once the NPC is unlocked, you walk up to them and you get a dialogue list of swimwear colors. You pick one and you're in that color swimwear.

The NPC's swimwear option dialogue is only unlockable during the event. The costume

Maybe have a year round option to get the sunglasses for latinum and metallic swimwear for something like 500k latinum. Neon incandescent swimwear for 150 Lobi.

And maybe a C-Store unlock down the road that bundles a bunch of social features includng standard swimwear. Y'Know... Like a $10-20 bundle that promises some kind of extra feature for each social hub. Like, say... An apartment on DS9, swimwear on Risa, free drinks on Drozana, fireworks at the Academies, auto-unlocked sambas and fan dance, access to the Captain's Table, a 60 minute cooldown nonconsumable dance party item, party popper, etc. Most of it already exists in some form. Just a mega-social bundle.
  • peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like the Risa-only option.
    "Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2013

[SNIP]

And maybe a C-Store unlock down the road that bundles a bunch of social features includng standard swimwear. Y'Know... Like a $10-20 bundle that promises some kind of extra feature for each social hub. Like, say... An apartment on DS9, swimwear on Risa, free drinks on Drozana, fireworks at the Academies, auto-unlocked sambas and fan dance, access to the Captain's Table, a 60 minute cooldown nonconsumable dance party item, party popper, etc. Most of it already exists in some form. Just a mega-social bundle.

Yes this, A Plus Plus would buy and buy again.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm probly the only player that doesn't dress my Orions up in the skimpiest trashiest look possible. My captain is female, and all but I think 3 of my boffs are male; none of them are dressed up in the slave-girl style. A couple of them have the chainmail bikini tops, some others have the tattered top, and a few wear the jackets and stuff. This mainly because I dislike the ultra-limited selection of outfits KDF folk get.

I agree that they need to put the bikinis into the game, its just plain silly to disallow us this option when clearly they don't have a problem with the NPCs wearing the outfits. If they really had qualm with the bikinis they wouldn't have put them on the NPCs, OR the Orions (regardless of Trek Lore).

As others have suggested, the simple solution is to just allow us to wear them ONLY on Risa... wether that be through a rental system, a forced outfit like we have in certain missions (would be neat if the bikinis were randomized everytime you beamed down), or just have a planet-only option like the floaters.

Also, Star Trek is just barely family friendly as it is.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Okay, those of you who are afraid of this becoming "Bikini's Online" need to shove that up your piehole. Not even TERA - which gives us this little gem - is 100% skinflesh. So can it.
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Okay, those of you who are afraid of this becoming "Bikini's Online" need to shove that up your piehole. Not even TERA - which gives us this little gem - is 100% skinflesh. So can it.

TERA has some more revealing stuff though, I can know, I had a Castanic female Archer for like 6 months before I race changed it to high elf female.

My Castanic Archer
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    flash525 wrote: »

Stuff like this would need a complicated system that is just easier to not make it then do it and have all kinda of bugs.

Truth of the matter if you know if they made bikini's there would be plenty of people running around commanding their ship and fighting the Borg in a bikini. Its kinda bad enough when it comes to Orions and all kinda of MMO's with barely there armor that would offer lousy protection.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    why the hell so much omg'ing everywhere about bikinies.Star Trek had these in the series and also this is a mmo ...all mmo's have some kind of almost nude models for outfits.They can make canon bikines ffs ...copy some models from episodes.

as for "females in bikines on esd" ....well ,add a bathroom on the damn station so you will have an excuse for all the females in bikinies.
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Can't do that...

Toilets aren't canon in Trek.

-- Smoov
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited July 2013

How does that outfit even work? :O
  • amberdzamberdz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Honestly, what does it matter if people run in their swimwear to do STFs? Does it somehow make them less effective? I have 13 female toons...they wear anything from full MACO, OMEGA or Klingon Honor Guard to Orion slave outfits and formal dresses and heals in ground STFs. This does not make them any less effective. They wear whatever suits me at that point in time. I know they will be running STFs barefoot and in shorts as well.

Canon means nothing to me. I am a lifer and spend more on this game then I care to admit, but I have only seen about 5 of the TV shows and only the original movies. I couldn't care less about things being canon. I play this game to kill things, have fun with my friends and get my toons to level 50 and get them nice outfits...which is about impossible on the KDF side.

If I am going to a beach resort I should be able to buy a swimsuit and I should be able to wear a crop top like the TOS one with my shorts. And for goodness sakes...I should have a better color palette to choose from for my Orion's toons flowers. I don't want to run around looking like I am wearing dead flowers....
  • chibiskunkchibiskunk Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Now that we have everyone's attention....
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My favourite part of your screenshot is the chat box.

You've exposed the poor person you were getting Text Freaky with to all kinds of mockery and unwanted attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I fail to understand why a) people who want to wear bikini's care about wearing bikini's and b) why people who don't want people to wear bikini's care about people wanting to wear bikini's.
    giphy.gif