test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Flying high" too hard, not fun

marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Just tried summer event first time today and I think I'm done with it. Its no fun, just a massive headache trying to fly around, and is 10 times harder then anything else I have done in this game. Please give as alternate methods to gain crystals through participating in this event some other way then flying or using lobi.
Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
Post edited by marc8219 on

Comments

• Options
    apersont1apersont1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Are you using WASD?

Use the mouse, it's 100x easier
    MTV Cribs eat your heart out
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you find Flying high the hardest thing in the game, dear Q i don't even want to know how you handle an STF.:eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    danielpenfolddanielpenfold Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why do you find it a bit to hard?
    I'm so happy :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm using the mouse, I just suck at racing games or non combat stuff in general. I have no problems in STFs, I solo cubes on elite in seconds, tank and solo gates quickly, guard all sides in KASE or CSE and still DPS structures in between spawns. Elite STFs is way easier then this non combat stuff for some people. You don't have to precisely pilot in an STF, just get everywhere fast with a lot of DPS that's easy this event isn't. Let me defend Risa from borg or something, I will solo tac cube on elite everyday rather then do this.
  • Options
    llunaukllunauk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    I'm using the mouse, I just suck at racing games or non combat stuff in general.

Don't worry about it, some people are meant to soar like the birds while others are there to be pooped on!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not sure if serious..

or just trolling..
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    well someone wasn't paying attention so I got 736 crystals for 15k ec just a min ago, now I have enough to upgrade from the standard jetpack to the best one, I will see if its any easier or not then.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ok well its doable with a more expensive jetpack, im using the 500 crystal one now. Sucks though if you have to buy them for your alts too.
  • Options
    baronvonhellerbaronvonheller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The 50 favor jet pack works just fine. I thought it was a bit tricky at first too. But, it's really not that sensitive, if you go outside the lines. Just make sure to go through the "gates".

You'll find it is a cake walk after a few run throughs, I promise.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Even the rental was doable, just need to be patient.
  • Options
    skywolf73skywolf73 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The rental pack works just fine, all you need to do is use the spacebar to boost into turns, climbs, etc generally boost boost boost with it and you will pwn the courses, heck i fly faster with the rented one than alot of people with the bought ones.

I am just saving up for the 1k one, so not spending any on them but buying a rental once a day. And i for the life of me do not get why this is so hard for people but so many say omg its impossible with the rental one, i do it with tons of time to spare on one rental, and heck i find it fun because you really gotta mash the power to keep it flying, and oversteer into tight turns while boosting is fun.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I know what the OPs problem is and the simple solution is
    Higher=Space bar
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    cheaper ones had too much inertia, was hard for me to time it and always missed the gates, i'm doing fine now with the one for 500.

I didn't know you could miss the track or gate though, I figure you had to go back to the beginning of the track if you did that, might be a little easier with that also.
  • Options
    sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just tried summer event first time today and I think I'm done with it. Its no fun, just a massive headache trying to fly around, and is 10 times harder then anything else I have done in this game. Please give as alternate methods to gain crystals through participating in this event some other way then flying or using lobi.

You're kidding, right?
  • Options
    misslithanymisslithany Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is something I don't understand. The controls are fairly simple and similar to what we already have in game. Yet so many people seem to be completely stumped by the floaters, expecially in traveling back down to the ground.
  • Options
    overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is something I don't understand. The controls are fairly simple and similar to what we already have in game. Yet so many people seem to be completely stumped by the floaters, expecially in traveling back down to the ground.

A lot of people haven't figured out that hitting "b" will make controlling the flight a lot easier and that to get down in that mode just look down and use the forward button. They are using the "RPG" mode instead of the "Shooter" mode.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If anything Flying High needs a higher difficulty version which rewards more crystals, and or reward should be dependent on number of races completed in the allotted time with more races available.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    overlapo wrote: »
    A lot of people haven't figured out that hitting "b" will make controlling the flight a lot easier and that to get down in that mode just look down and use the forward button. They are using the "RPG" mode instead of the "Shooter" mode.

But if you've played MMOs, my experience has been that there is a stigma attached to being a "keyboard turner" who uses WASD so I adapted to move with the mouse a long time ago.

I do think a problem with MMOs is that they frequently give too much control customization, which leads people to develop preferences based on other games they played rather than what's optimal for an action RPG.

This problem is compounded, not helped, when you have different aspects of design that favor different playstyles. For example, I think having more than six activatable powers at a time (even including non-combat abilities which ought not take up tray space) tends to result in people moving with the keyboard and clicking with the mouse rather than mastering keybinds... and I think the WASD/clicker gameplay style is lower immersion play.

(I think Neverwinter and DCUO do better jobs with this by keeping a tighter control on how many buttons you have to manage at once. For example, if BO stations were setup so that one button controls each BO and they charge through various tiers of a power. Just an example.)

Too many buttons produces clickers. Clicking produces people who are worse at agile movement.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It took me a minute to get the hang of flight, and the best control method is the mouse- hold down both left and right buttons and point where you want to go. The 50-favor floater is definitely worth it, and the Flying High challenge is ridiculously easy. And very forgiving of mistakes, unlike the ice race.
  • Options
    zekeferrignozekeferrigno Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Go play Saints Row 3, use the hover bike, then come here and profit.
    Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. - Bubba
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ok well its doable with a more expensive jetpack, im using the 500 crystal one now. Sucks though if you have to buy them for your alts too.

You need practice. this event is so easy it's a JOKE. I'm using the 50 favor pack and clear it typically with 6-8 minutes left to get back to the event guide.
  • Options
    cosmonaut12345cosmonaut12345 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OP - thanks for sharing concerns I had as well.

Subsequent posters - thanks for clearing up how to actually fly the dang floaters. I was having some trouble.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    well not all of us can do it with the 50 favor or rental jetpacks as we learned here. If you can't you just have to grind out or buy the favors for the 500 or 1000 favor jetpacks.

I kept having to repeat courses with both of those so end up giving up out of frustration or running out of time, but its somewhat fun now with a better jetpack.
  • Options
    aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    -_-

Really? No one is forcing you to go faster, than you need to. Just slow down or stop, when you need to, rather than rush a dang thing here.

I do however would agree, a 'practice' course be in constant operation, for practice purposes. One could do that, with the winter event ice course, whenever one wanted. The lack of such for the aerial event, is kinda a no no, what with the reward at stake.

Despite this, I'm sorry... truly... really... but: It. Is. Not. Hard. You want hard, go into NWS or CEE and come back for what 'hard' is.

I mean, if you run out of time, just go back and restart the daily, and practice again if needed.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just keep momentum in mind. Don't go full throttle all the time and start turning before you actually get to the turn. Slide, drift. And even when you fail, you don't fail, go back a little and pass the gateway. You don't need anything higher than the rental. The only reason I bought the floatter is because the rental is cancelled after a while and I like to move around for longer periods.
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I hold the right mouse button to rotate the camera while using WASD, its very easy and gives you far more control than using the mouse alone.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    lykumlykum Member Posts: 382
    edited June 2013
    lil off topic here but my 6 year old wants a swimsuit and all the works badly, and her character isn't even level 3 -_-

cmon devs your killin me here!!!
    Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its so easy. It really is! Im not thw best pilot in the game.

You have to judge your speed an inertia learn how to bank. Dont overdo the speed. Turn before you enter the corners same with drops and climbs. Left and right banking keys are overlooked and can help with turning.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited June 2013