test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Flying high" too hard, not fun

2»

Comments

• tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's harder than the Winter Race, but not by much and that wasn't a defining example of hard either.
  • captainkccaptainkc Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Actually if you already play racing games like Need For Speed, it is not hard. You have to keep in mind your momentum (if you are spamming that jump button, don't be surprised when coming to a turn that you fly off course). I use keyboard WASD to move, and Jump to go up. Also the mouse -- or touchpad in my case -- will help aim. Mind you that I won my first pearls using a Rental, not those expensive doohickeys... what good are those anyway, you can't use them outside the event and then only on Risa :( Just keep those hologram gates in your sights and it will be easy to win. Also: once you have your floater/jetpack, walk to the first racecourse; the timer starts when you turn on the floater. They are Beach to the west, Stone Arches to the north, Rocky Island in the Bay to the east, the Tower due north, the Bridge and Cave to northeast of resort, and Buzz the Resort to the east.

Naturally the 20 hour cooldown and the fact that the pearls can't be traded are a drag. If I played 8 hours a day or rearranged my life to eat in the middle of the wee hours and forego bathing and work like some people do then yes I could reasonably get 25 games under my belt and grab that Fast and Furious ship! What the he3ck do I do if I only get 20 games?
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can for the most part run any course, with the 50 favor floater, without missing a gate or stopping. I stay in RPG mode, and hold both mouse buttons to move forward and move the mouse to steer and pitch up/down. WASD I use for reaction control/braking. As you approach a turn, use the mouse to rotate yourself in the direction of the turn, and also use WASD to push yourself in the same direction. While moving with the two mouse buttons, A and D function as a sidestep. The combined result is you turn with the mouse, while A or D pushes against your inertia and slows you down for the turn. I was actually hoping there were harder courses than the yellow ones, that would necessitate a better floater, but it doesn't seem so.

I actually think the Winter race was harder. I had to do that same race a number of times before I mastered it. This I pretty much had down as soon as I started steering with the mouse.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Both the Winter race and Summer race are stupidly easy. Pretty much all you do is log on, mash face against keyboard for 3 minutes, and you're done.

I have yet to see a challenging race, and if there is one, I'll be the first to try it. :)
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ...Practice Makes Perfect...

or about as close as one can get to Perfect anyway.

;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • nikkobrisbanenikkobrisbane Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    WTF, its easy as, much easier then the winter event race.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Eh, serious? I combine Flying High and Hor'taht hunt as much as I can and I did that with the rental. I have still extra time on the counter to practice dancing before that event starts.

How do you manage to fail here. I bought the 50 favour one and that is doing excellent. What reason is there for a faster one?

The winter race was compared much more difficult. I sometimes had to start over and this has never occurred with this event.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It takes a little longer than Winter but it is way easier to control the floaters than those boots on the ice. If you don't have any patience then spend lobi. And if you don't have any lobi then rethink your outlook on the game.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • amedea66amedea66 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Even the rental was doable, just need to be patient.

That's what I've been using since I don't want to spend on a permanent floater that likely won't be usable beyond this event and even on the rental I'm able to easily knock out three races with enough time to completely blow a race and redo and still have ample time to get back for the turn in.

It can be infuriating when the controls don't feel as responsive as one would like but as long as you hit through the 'goal points' along the way, it counts as a completion.
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Just tried summer event first time today and I think I'm done with it. Its no fun, just a massive headache trying to fly around, and is 10 times harder then anything else I have done in this game. Please give as alternate methods to gain crystals through participating in this event some other way then flying or using lobi.

I just discovered the "B" key when using jetpacks. Trying hitting the "B" key to bring up your recticle and flying that way. The difference in control was amazing, and I blew through courses. Before that I would thrust, stop readjust, thrust, readjust, readjust, redo a missed gate, blow a course, sweat and look at the timer. It was very frusterating.

I had been wondering how people were flying fast and in straight lines.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's not even a race. Just take your time and go between the posts. Takes like 5 minutes to do 3 courses, most of that is flying time to get to the next one.

As far as the perma floater... it's only 50 favours, that's like 15-20 minutes of your time doing the dance practice and statue hunt ONCE.

Seriously... only way it could be easier would be to log on once and press a great big button that says FREE SHIP.
    It's much better than the winter race... I fell asleep several times while doing the "rat race".

It's easy to do with either the rental or the standard pack, just don't get the Lohlunat Tribble to "help" you. The tribble will hamper your performance.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ten minutes to complete three random courses of varying difficulty. No failure for straying too far off the course. No failure for barely touching each gate as you pass it for the next to appear. No need to maintain height manually. The list goes on and on about how easy this is.

Yes, some folks will need more practice than others - it may even be difficult for some out there - it's moving in a 3D plane. Thing to keep in mind there, is it's not really any different than moving on the ground when faced with going up or down a hill. When you're going up the hill, you're looking up the hill. When you're going down the hill, you're looking down the hill. To move up, look up - to move down, look down. Tada...you're flying high.
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If it helps any, holding down 'Right Mouse button' in RPG mode locks your facing with your camera. Combined with the movement keys, you can get a pretty good handle on the controls.

a good way to gain speed is to use the above method and look angled down at your character and press the Jump button. you wont gain much altitude but your speed will increase. Your character is basically leaning forward so your 'Jump jets' (LOL Mechwarrior!) are propelling you forward. Just don't hold it too much or you will overshoot your target.

Best to practice during the Idol hunt.

As for them not using the packs after the event. Much like the EV Suits, I'm sure they will come up with a way to incorporate them into a mission or two. And I'm sure there will be better ones you can purchase with Lobi/Zen/Dilithium when they do.
    They seem to have put a lot of effort into them, I doubt we have seen the last of them :)
  • desertjetsdesertjets Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Flying High is awfully easy and takes just a little bit of practice to get the hang of it. My first run was a little rocky, but I still got it and an accolade by accident to boot. I do think the 50 favor floater is perfect as I use it to get around Risa (I hardly ever walk). The best practice for the floater is during the horg'han hunt.
  • jrwithjrwith Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't even have the slightest semblance of trouble with this, if anything the Winter Wonderland race was hard especially with the jerk snowmen hucking snowballs at you whilst you're running.
  • foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I suck at racing games too, but even I can finish the event with no problem... you DO know you dont have to stay on the green track, right? You just need to get through the little marker gates.
  • praetorniralpraetorniral Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It took me a minute to get the hang of flight, and the best control method is the mouse- hold down both left and right buttons and point where you want to go. The 50-favor floater is definitely worth it, and the Flying High challenge is ridiculously easy. And very forgiving of mistakes, unlike the ice race.

He's right and those who say use the "B" key for manual guiding are also right. Like others I thought expletives in my head when trying at first to do it and using just the rental following this from others here it CAN be done with bags of spare time. Can be practically made to guide itself with little thrust.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Don't mind it at all but would have been so much better to have a different type of race like a water jet ski, surfing or canoe competition...something more like a summer activity :D
    DUwNP.gif