test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Make STO more interactive by using Xbox one and Voice Command

cesaraugmentcesaraugment Member Posts: 30 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Federation Discussion
The hours one need to spend in star trek online can be unhealthy. It obviously requires people to sit for long periods of time increasing risk towards obesity amongst the star trek online fans. I say why not use consoles that are action based like nintendo wii, Xbox kinect, and other systems. Also it would help a lot if you made voice command controls. This can be highly beneficial for the disabled population. Especially people who are quadriplegic. Does this sound like something people can get excited about? If they can be more interactive with the game by saying things like "fire on the nearest target!" Or "Helm set course for what ever destination maximum warp". I think this is possible we have Siri now so is it really that difficult? And It would be cool to use hand control phasers and rifles. It would be like old school nintendo.
Post edited by cesaraugment on

Comments

• Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Personally, I'd love to see the Oculus integrated...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I didn't even know what that was until I saw your post. That would be so sweet.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'll say this much... a Star Trek game designed around the Oculus would made a TON of cash. One things Trekkies do is buy, and buy big, all things Trek...

Imagine commanding the ship from the captain's chair in battle... in VR... actually walking along the promenade in DS9... seeing approaching players and talking to them. First person IGE...

Good god, I'd pay 15 bucks a month (seperate of my existing LTS) just to fund a few devs to start the integration, and the Oculus hasn't even been released for personal use yet...

• Options
    atticusmasatticusmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The hours one need to spend in star trek online can be unhealthy. It obviously requires people to sit for long periods of time increasing risk towards obesity amongst the star trek online fans. I say why not use consoles that are action based like nintendo wii, Xbox kinect, and other systems. Also it would help a lot if you made voice command controls. This can be highly beneficial for the disabled population. Especially people who are quadriplegic. Does this sound like something people can get excited about? If they can be more interactive with the game by saying things like "fire on the nearest target!" Or "Helm set course for what ever destination maximum warp". I think this is possible we have Siri now so is it really that difficult? And It would be cool to use hand control phasers and rifles. It would be like old school nintendo.

STO will never come to the xbone and voice integration is dumb and won't happen.

That being said, Oculus rift support would be amazing. I see them getting **** tons of money with such integration. I, however, don't see that ever happening. Too much work on the dev's part. Basically a game rewrite and then some.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You're right on 2 accounts... they'd make a **** ton of money on Oculas Rift support, and it would essentially be a re-write.

May not be Cryptic who does it... but I'll sign on to any Star Trek game who does it...

• Options
    sasheriasasheria Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll say this much... a Star Trek game designed around the Oculus would made a TON of cash. One things Trekkies do is buy, and buy big, all things Trek...

Imagine commanding the ship from the captain's chair in battle... in VR... actually walking along the promenade in DS9... seeing approaching players and talking to them. First person IGE...

Good god, I'd pay 15 bucks a month (seperate of my existing LTS) just to fund a few devs to start the integration, and the Oculus hasn't even been released for personal use yet...

Who do I need to give my money to make this happen??? this will be so awesome!
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You're right on 2 accounts... they'd make a **** ton of money on Oculas Rift support, and it would essentially be a re-write.

May not be Cryptic who does it... but I'll sign on to any Star Trek game who does it...

Its dumb to you maybe because you don't mind hitting the keybord everytime you go into battle. But I am annoyed on how unrealistic that is. I want to command someone to fire at something, or going to a specific place at a specific warp speed. I want to speak to characters in the game and would love to see them interact with me. That would be amazing at lest to me. And as for the Xbox one I'm not saying it has to be them. I'm just stating the fact that its not cool to sit in a chair for hours, and watching your character jump and run. It should be the players doing that jumping and losing thoes calories. You will get more play that way if you actually looked fit instead of just your character don't you agree?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    atticusmas wrote: »
    STO will never come to the xbone and voice integration is dumb and won't happen.

That being said, Oculus rift support would be amazing. I see them getting **** tons of money with such integration. I, however, don't see that ever happening. Too much work on the dev's part. Basically a game rewrite and then some.

Do you know the secret to making money? Make something that consumers want. How many people want to actually feel as if they are really the captain? Feel as if there are really in the Star Trek universe? Do I even need to explain to you the dream? I hope not. Game developers want to make things that people will buy right? If there too lazy to make it then we just go to someone else that isn't. That is what we except in 2013!!! so if a developer can hear me make this happen now!!!! And I swear you will get PAID like a rock star!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    Who do I need to give my money to make this happen??? this will be so awesome!

First we need to get the attention of the fans of STO. We need to know how many people would actually want to see this happen. We need to spread the idea around, make enough noise so that the developers can see that we are serious and are willing to help them in making this a reality.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    atticusmas wrote: »

Atticusmas your opinions are important because they are the opinions of a skeptic. I'm glad you replayed to my post because I can see that you too would like to see something like this come to reality. I think developers won't mind working as long as they get paid, and STO has shown success. Just imagine the thousands of people that play STO. We are the people that the developers work for. We indirectly pay their salaries and bonuses. I doubt their going to refuse to do this just because they have to put in more work especially if they get paid to do it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

We should get more people involved so that the developers can see that we are serious about this type of upgrade. And that it could be profitably for them and their company.
  • Options
    starfleetownsallstarfleetownsall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    well theres a couple problems with this.
    1. wii cant be put on because it doesnt have a graphics card or enough memory
    2. why pay 5$ a month just to play it on xbox 1 and not play on pc that is f2p.
    3. wouldnt that get borinbg eventually that u just say that and that, etc.
    4. look at how star trek the game did(which was bad btw), and would make any company uninspired to make a star trek game on a console
    5. cryptic doesnt have the manpower or the time to put it on a console becaure they are already busy with sto on pc and dont have the money to acquire more people.
    6. with a game to compare sto to at its current level, it would take minimum years just to make the game
    7. one thing that i would absolutely hate would be all the squeakers(aka kids that talk a lot) and that would ruin the fun of the game.
    8. by the time the game is made, the consoles would be phased out anyway so it would be a waste of time and money.
    10. you always have to be on the xbox every 24 hours(aint nobody got time for that)
    in conclusion, sto or an star trek game would be a complete waste of time and would not work.
    Task Force Spectre, Legion of Spectre, and House of Spectre is recruiting!
    I watch the only good STO podcast STOked Radio
    Want to learn more about any of the above? Let me know!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    well theres a couple problems with this.
    1. wii cant be put on because it doesnt have a graphics card or enough memory
    2. why pay 5$ a month just to play it on xbox 1 and not play on pc that is f2p.
    3. wouldnt that get borinbg eventually that u just say that and that, etc.
    4. look at how star trek the game did(which was bad btw), and would make any company uninspired to make a star trek game on a console
    5. cryptic doesnt have the manpower or the time to put it on a console becaure they are already busy with sto on pc and dont have the money to acquire more people.
    6. with a game to compare sto to at its current level, it would take minimum years just to make the game
    7. one thing that i would absolutely hate would be all the squeakers(aka kids that talk a lot) and that would ruin the fun of the game.
    8. by the time the game is made, the consoles would be phased out anyway so it would be a waste of time and money.
    10. you always have to be on the xbox every 24 hours(aint nobody got time for that)
    in conclusion, sto or an star trek game would be a complete waste of time and would not work.

Those are good points that you made. Unfortunately I know less then nothing about video games and consoles. Obviously I didn't mean wii or xbox specifically I just wanted to use them as examples.
    Yet I don't think my ideas and concerns are wrong or bad. The game does put people in situations that can accumulate and lead to dangerous results such has obesity. I feel as if though they need to make the game more interactive similar to xbox kinect. I see that your main concern is in converting STO into some sort of console but I can see how difficult and Impossible it would be. Yet I don't think running, jumping and feeling as if though you were actually in the game would get as boring as sitting down for hours hitting the same button over and over again.
    I don't really understand what you meant with kids that talk a lot but when it comes to money they most likely make more than we know with all of they're stores and inventory that they sell. Also by selling a product like phasers or rifle type controllers; they will end up making profit.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The best thing STO can do that involves XBone is to use all their proceeds to buy as many as possible and destroy them on camera.

Seriously the XBone is utter and total garbage and you should never buy one. Just get a PC and bask in the glory of your superiority, like me!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    The best thing STO can do that involves XBone is to use all their proceeds to buy as many as possible and destroy them on camera.

Seriously the XBone is utter and total garbage and you should never buy one. Just get a PC and bask in the glory of your superiority, like me!

I think PC games need an update. I prefer to actually moving around while playing a game than sitting in a chair for hours. I don't know what I feel with Xbox one seeing that it hasn't even come out yet, but PC games need to adapt a kinect type of style option.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    can this be done?
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I really really really hope this does not happen

I for one would never play in like it how it is thanks
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've played games with voice recognition before, no matter what any of those games' developers say, it never works right. That is not something we want in this game.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The hours one need to spend in star trek online can be unhealthy. It obviously requires people to sit for long periods of time increasing risk towards obesity amongst the star trek online fans.

...What? This is one of the most casual games ever created. If you want to make these kinds of claims start thinking about those asian grindfests or wow.
    I say why not use consoles that are action based like nintendo wii, Xbox kinect, and other systems.

Because: the game isn't designed to be played that way, it would be an insane amount of development just to get it anywhere near working and it would achieve virtually nothing.
    Also it would help a lot if you made voice command controls. This can be highly beneficial for the disabled population. Especially people who are quadriplegic

Again, what? Voice controls don't work nearly as well as you seem to think they do. Besides that....how many quadriplegic people do you actually think play mmos? The number that would be coming here because of such a feature would be somewhere between zero and none. It simply isn't practical in this circumstance
    If they can be more interactive with the game by saying things like "fire on the nearest target!"

That sounds rather exploitable. To say nothing of how it would ever work if you had, say, half a dozen enemies coming at you at once. Do you plan on maneuvering, using your skills and firing weapons all at the same time using these voice commands? Given the mechanics of the game, it wouldn't work well.
    I think this is possible we have Siri now so is it really that difficult?

Yes, it is really that difficult.
    And It would be cool to use hand control phasers and rifles. It would be like old school nintendo.

They never worked very well on NES as I recall. Or in arcades, let alone in a small screened, smaller gameplay area that STO has. If you think targeting can get annoying now, just wait till something like that gets implemented.

The game can't do a first person captains chair type of gameplay, because of the way the system handles the player object. That aside, it would cost a fortune to implement, would require players to get a very expensive headset, which few would and would result in a considerable loss as a result, given the amount of time, resources and money it would have taken to implement
    STO will never come to the xbone

That too
    You're right on 2 accounts... they'd make a **** ton of money on Oculas Rift support

No they wouldn't. Few will end up buying it due to its cost, limitations and lack of support in most games. It would end up costing far more to implement than they would ever make as a result of implementing it
    Its dumb to you maybe because you don't mind hitting the keybord everytime you go into battle. But I am annoyed on how unrealistic that is

You're 'annoyed' because a game is 'unrealistic' because its on a pc that uses a keyboard? Right.
    I want to command someone to fire at something, or going to a specific place at a specific warp speed. I want to speak to characters in the game and would love to see them interact with me. That would be amazing at lest to me

That would be utterly pointless. It also makes you do even less work, so there goes the whole 'lets do this cause players are fat and lazy' theory. Nobody is going to implement requiring a player to jump around the room and TRIBBLE like that to play an mmo. It would be a damage suit/'I had a heart attack because of it' suit waiting to happen
    You will get more play that way if you actually looked fit instead of just your character don't you agree?

No. If all these players are so fat and lazy as you say, why would they even want to do this? Those movement based accessories have never been a good selling point for any system you know.
    Do you know the secret to making money? Make something that consumers want.

No, the secret to making money is to make something that consumers want, that will provide an appropriate ROI and subsequent profit after developing it. This wouldn't
    First we need to get the attention of the fans of STO. We need to know how many people would actually want to see this happen. We need to spread the idea around, make enough noise so that the developers can see that we are serious and are willing to help them in making this a reality.

It would require essentially remaking the game, it would not, in and of itself result in any profit beyond what players are already playing and would cost them a fortune to develop. It would matter how many players bought into this idea, it isn't going to happen
    Atticusmas your opinions are important because they are the opinions of a skeptic.

You done being condescending yet?
    I doubt their going to refuse to do this just because they have to put in more work especially if they get paid to do it.

What? Are you seriously saying that they are going to rebuild an entire mmo to implement a useless feature, for absolutely no benefit and at a major cost....because they are developers and 'don't mind working if they get paid?'
    Those are good points that you made. Unfortunately I know less then nothing about video games and consoles

Then why are you trying to imply that its so easy to do if you throw a few devs at it?
    Yet I don't think my ideas and concerns are wrong or bad.

Says the guy who just said he 'knows less than nothing about video games and consoles.' It is a bad idea from a practical and development standpoint
    The game does put people in situations that can accumulate and lead to dangerous results such has obesity.

No, it doesn't. Thats like saying they should put treadmills in mcdonalds because their food makes people fat
    I feel as if though they need to make the game more interactive similar to xbox kinect

They need to do nothing of the sort
    Yet I don't think running, jumping and feeling as if though you were actually in the game would get as boring as sitting down for hours hitting the same button over and over again.

Nobody would use it even if it did somehow get implemented. I assure you it would 'get as boring' very quickly
    I don't really understand what you meant with kids that talk a lot but when it comes to money they most likely make more than we know with all of they're stores and inventory that they sell. Also by selling a product like phasers or rifle type controllers; they will end up making profit.

No. You know why so few companies actually make these kinds of accessories and why so few games actually use them? Because most people don't want them. They are poorly made, easily broken and cost a fortune.
    I think PC games need an update. I prefer to actually moving around while playing a game than sitting in a chair for hours.

It is a PC. It sits on a desk, the user sits in a chair and uses a keyboard. That is what they are DESIGNED for. It is what they are INTENDED for. If you want to use a kinect game, buy a kinect game and a console
    but PC games need to adapt a kinect type of style option.

No they don't. They are PC games
    can this be done?

No
    I've played games with voice recognition before, no matter what any of those games' developers say, it never works right

Very true
  • Options
    medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Do not want.
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
  • Options
    wolf3130wolf3130 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    just what we need another p2p game with shody support if some one should happen to make this happen i shurely hope with all my heart it isn't pwe
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Those are good points that you made. Unfortunately I know less then nothing about video games and consoles. Obviously I didn't mean wii or xbox specifically I just wanted to use them as examples.
    Yet I don't think my ideas and concerns are wrong or bad. The game does put people in situations that can accumulate and lead to dangerous results such has obesity. I feel as if though they need to make the game more interactive similar to xbox kinect. I see that your main concern is in converting STO into some sort of console but I can see how difficult and Impossible it would be. Yet I don't think running, jumping and feeling as if though you were actually in the game would get as boring as sitting down for hours hitting the same button over and over again.

honestly most people who play on pc dont want to jump and shot commands to an unreliable system i shure dont and there is better ways to get exercise then standing infront of your computer screen or tv jumping people sit because they want to relax or are just lazy i for one would much rather use my keyboard and mouse then waist money on some lame gimic i have a kenect that i dont even use because im not to lazy to go out side and get exercise by going fishing spending time with my family or choping wood
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think PC games need an update. I prefer to actually moving around while playing a game than sitting in a chair for hours. I don't know what I feel with Xbox one seeing that it hasn't even come out yet, but PC games need to adapt a kinect type of style option.

if thats what kind of game play you want then you should stick with xbone or wii since pc will more then likely never addapt to that and always be superior
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    wolf3130 wrote: »
    honestly most people who play on pc dont want to jump and shot commands to an unreliable system i shure dont and there is better ways to get exercise then standing infront of your computer screen or tv jumping people sit because they want to relax or are just lazy i for one would much rather use my keyboard and mouse then waist money on some lame gimic i have a kenect that i dont even use because im not to lazy to go out side and get exercise by going fishing spending time with my family or choping wood

I have spoken to about 20 people and parents that would perfer their chiildren played it like that the how it is played today. Howmany people have you spoken to that say that?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    wolf3130 wrote: »
    if thats what kind of game play you want then you should stick with xbone or wii since pc will more then likely never addapt to that and always be superior

Well maybe not 2013 but i bet you im the future parents wont alow their children to play video games unless they have that type of interaction.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    I really really really hope this does not happen

I for one would never play in like it how it is thanks

I would play it more if they did.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is the cause of Obesity??? No I had a WII and after playing for a while (A few months I didnt feel fitter or healthier I was just bored) Same with the Kinect or the PS 3 one. PC do not need that kind of system and will be superior to every console made now or next generation. We don't need voice control which is unreliable at best and shouting commands like set course for Eta eridani system would go old really fast and would be annoying in a STF as well.

Everyone wants to go on there bridge in first person or strut down the promenade but until holodecks are made I will sit in my chair and play on the pc.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited June 2013
    The Original Poster needs to play "Steel Battalion: Heavy Armour" on the X-Box 360.

Than his understanding of how far the technology really is and how bad this idea is. At least watch some reviews on how this game is played. I tried the Demo, it's certainly not fun. It is not even boring, it's frustrating, and not wow this level is hard frustrating. Imagine playing Super Mario Bros 1 from the original NES, but the buttons change randomly all the time.

Would I like to use Voice commands... sure. But that is beyond what I have seen that we are capable of. I don't have high hopes for XBOne and Kinect 2. I'd be impressed if it worked. Kinect 1 sure as hell didn't. I have never once got my 360 to shut down with the kinect voice commands quicker than using the controller or physically getting up and pushing the button.

If I where a parent I'd not care how the game is played but more about the content of the game. And no way would I let my kid near an MMO. It's the 1% of complete jerks online. Now as to why I don't need a video game to be a workout? I'd expect my child to eat healthy and exercise, doing that would be rewarded with Video Games.

People need willpower to get off their butts and walk, or if it's too cold outside do 100 jumping jacks or star jumps (Same thing depends where you are). Maybe move your body without being rewarded by a video game. Lazy fat people will always be lazy fat people if they watch TV or read books, that are not going to suddenly stop being lazy fat people just because they need to be jumping around to play a game.

This game has little content and many bugs, My Bridge Officers re-arrange themselves all the time, sometime on a planet my BOFFs aren't accessable for a few seconds. This breaks my immersion and captain fantasy far more than using a keyboard and mouse. And what your asking for is a massive monumental task that I think is beyond the scope of Cryptic ATM. I'm not saying they don't have the talent but I don't think they have the resources.

To put it into perspective you want to transport 40 2 ton elephants to the moon, while this is possible your not going to call your local taxi company to do it.

I admire the concept, I honestly do but it's simply not feasible.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    robeasom wrote: »
    This is the cause of Obesity??? No I had a WII and after playing for a while (A few months I didnt feel fitter or healthier I was just bored) Same with the Kinect or the PS 3 one. PC do not need that kind of system and will be superior to every console made now or next generation. We don't need voice control which is unreliable at best and shouting commands like set course for Eta eridani system would go old really fast and would be annoying in a STF as well.

Everyone wants to go on there bridge in first person or strut down the promenade but until holodecks are made I will sit in my chair and play on the pc.

Not everyone because I don't. And as for the WII and Kinect, its common sense that sense video games and TV has been invented obesity has increased. Also this is because of poor dieting. The future games really depend on the new generations and their parents. What happens when parents stop letting their children play long hour computer games such as these because of the lack of physical activities? Do you really think as time goes on people will be playing computer games the same why they do now? There is no way, someone is going to invent something better and much more interactive then hitting buttons.

Besides I've heard other people that are intrested in something related to this so try not to speak for other people just yourself.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The Original Poster needs to play "Steel Battalion: Heavy Armour" on the X-Box 360.

Than his understanding of how far the technology really is and how bad this idea is. At least watch some reviews on how this game is played. I tried the Demo, it's certainly not fun. It is not even boring, it's frustrating, and not wow this level is hard frustrating. Imagine playing Super Mario Bros 1 from the original NES, but the buttons change randomly all the time.

Would I like to use Voice commands... sure. But that is beyond what I have seen that we are capable of. I don't have high hopes for XBOne and Kinect 2. I'd be impressed if it worked. Kinect 1 sure as hell didn't. I have never once got my 360 to shut down with the kinect voice commands quicker than using the controller or physically getting up and pushing the button.

If I where a parent I'd not care how the game is played but more about the content of the game. And no way would I let my kid near an MMO. It's the 1% of complete jerks online. Now as to why I don't need a video game to be a workout? I'd expect my child to eat healthy and exercise, doing that would be rewarded with Video Games.

People need willpower to get off their butts and walk, or if it's too cold outside do 100 jumping jacks or star jumps (Same thing depends where you are). Maybe move your body without being rewarded by a video game. Lazy fat people will always be lazy fat people if they watch TV or read books, that are not going to suddenly stop being lazy fat people just because they need to be jumping around to play a game.

This game has little content and many bugs, My Bridge Officers re-arrange themselves all the time, sometime on a planet my BOFFs aren't accessable for a few seconds. This breaks my immersion and captain fantasy far more than using a keyboard and mouse. And what your asking for is a massive monumental task that I think is beyond the scope of Cryptic ATM. I'm not saying they don't have the talent but I don't think they have the resources.

To put it into perspective you want to transport 40 2 ton elephants to the moon, while this is possible your not going to call your local taxi company to do it.

I admire the concept, I honestly do but it's simply not feasible.

Imagination is the first step to all creation. Someone had to imagine and think up the idea of a computer to create a computer. Someone had to imagine the idea of creating a game it before the game became reality. Now one thing about Imagination is that it usually isn't unique. When 1 person imagines something the likely hood is that out of over a billion people living on the earth someone else had thought of it also. So what is the difference between a person that uses their imagination to create something? Well when that person says they are going to create something they do it. They take what is real; with the resources that they have and find the way.
    When you become a parent your entire point of view changes. When it comes to games you look for games that your child enjoys, that is educational, and that can benefit their growth. Tag for example helps children develop their motor skills which is crucial at that point.
    Peek a boo is actually an exercise and psychological practice made to note specific mile stones in children. By both Pediatricians and Psychologists.

Now with STO. An excellent game yet still the developers obviously have a lot of work to do so that it can be better. You mentioned that you would in fact enjoy using voice commands. Something that maybe isn't at its peak today. Yet growth and improvement comes from failure and the ability to learn when we fail. If they should do voice commands and continuously improve upon the specific program. Well, eventually it will turn into a highly useful tool.
This discussion has been closed.