Install Arc
Options

Asymmetrical Armor...why?

2»

Comments

• Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

On topic: asymetric armor, i don't like it either...but it doens't matter. Endgame gear is Maco, khg, omega anyway and those look awesome imho (even the mk xi versions)

and there are so many costumes that look fantastic that the armor shouldn't be even remotely an issue.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    The enlisted guys are the ones that get things done.

"Do I look like an officer to you?! I earn my paycheck!"
    I'm now at an unfortunate dilemma where I'm really thinking about keeping the lower tier armor equipped just for the look.

I click the little eyeball that turns off the visuals because I put a bit of effort into getting my uniform just right at the tailor and I want to see it.
    <3
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Quote:
    The enlisted guys are the ones that get things done.

"Do I look like an officer to you?! I earn my paycheck!"

So does the officer
    and the difference is He is the one who catches it in the neck when the enlisted guy screws up
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

The asymmetrical armor looks silly. Like most anime armor xD

I like the futuristic Omega set. The ST version of a powered armor :-) And the KHG set looks too much of a clich? ;-) Because you know: NO CAPES xD
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies .

NOTE: Do not respond to offensive posts. Period. Report them.

~Bluegeek
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sollvax, you consistently fish for aggressive retorts, and often post quite unneeded and patronising one line comments in threads. A memorable example is in a thread concerning bugs during ship switching, you simply say "Don't switch ships". Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but everyone must also bear the consequences for throwing them around too. I would say you are the abusive one.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    yes armour for soldiers I have no problem with
    but not for starfleet officers

To start, per Mr. Roddenberry's beliefs, as stated in early seasons of TNG, being placed in command of a starship of any sort is supposed to disqualify said officer from ground duties, and if said captain was to beam down, it is either a tested and confirmed "safe" diplomatic situation that only the ship's captain can solve, or with a full squad of "redshirts" that are tasked with surrounding the captain and preventing any harm from befalling said captain, even at the costs of their lives. Oh, at the first sign of trouble, said captain is to be extricated, immediately...

It was only upon Gene's death that Picard actually started getting put into harms way and "kirking" it a little...

Thusly, per Gene's "beliefs", our PCs should only be visible on the bridges of our starships, the first contact diplomatic explorations in the lounge, and/or on trips to Admiral Quinn's office, the rest of the time, we should be playing (at the highest rank) our XO or, more appropriately, some enlisted grunt...

Oh, wait. That wouldn't make for an interesting game, would it? Making a nifty Captain/Admiral and never seeing it because it's "beneath" said officer's duties to "shop" for a pile of commodities, ship part (like ships are highly customizable in the first place) or weapons to stock the armory with.

Thusly, and I'm taking liberties here, "canon" was re-designed, post Gene's death, of course, to highlight the "kirking" of captains everywhere, and, in this war-torn postulation of the universe, Starfleet and it's staff elected to allow/mandate both the wearing of armor and the creation of personal deflector shield generators to help protect the "most important assets" of any starship - specifically the crew...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    bacfebacfe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sollvax, you consistently fish for aggressive retorts, and often post quite unneeded and patronising one line comments in threads. A memorable example is in a thread concerning bugs during ship switching, you simply say "Don't switch ships". Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but everyone must also bear the consequences for throwing them around too. I would say you are the abusive one.

Pardon me, but is that not the commonly accepted definition of "trolling"? At least, before it became "HURR DURR I TROLL U EPIC TROLL"?
  • Options
    wolfpack12cwolfpack12c Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes a SANE person who does not want to look like an orbital drop suicide trooper

Remember no starfleet officer in ANY of the series ever strapped on a minigun and full battle armour

Wronge.
    Enterprise the Maco units aboard NX-01 used armor and the mirror universe had a mini gun
    Nemesis the movie there was a mini gun
    Star Trek deep space 9 Worf used a blast cannon
    Star Trek voyager a few epasodes they had armor on in the later sessions
    Star Trek JJ Abrams you see Maco units in the background with armor on also the drop suits you see sulu and Kirk ware are a form of armor.
    -"There is no such thing as an I win button!" "Um, Sir. Whats this button that says (I win) for then?"
  • Options
    squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wronge.
    Enterprise the Maco units aboard NX-01 used armor and the mirror universe had a mini gun
    Star Trek JJ Abrams you see Maco units in the background with armor on also the drop suits you see sulu and Kirk ware are a form of armor.

The TOS-era films also had armored security personnel.
    SQUIRREL!
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    He's correct, only soldiers wear armor... buuuut guess what? The Federation is at war, so all of their officers are currently soldiers.

HURR DURR... XD XD XD
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Wronge.

Macos are NOT Starfleet

Not that I recall
    which is also NOT a mini gun

voyager has a largely civilian crew and is WAY off regs yes
    Star Trek JJ Abrams you see Maco units in the background with armor on also the drop suits you see sulu and Kirk ware are a form of armor

thus proving its not trek
    but those are "environmental suits"
    not armour
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree that the asymetric skins are a bit weird.

All Omega related items, be KDF or Fed, seem symetrical so far.

Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    I agree that the asymetric skins are a bit weird.

All Omega related items, be KDF or Fed, seem symetrical so far.
    Yeah, you can practically see the hoops he's jumping through to justify his POV/opinions, which include the illogical and insane types :D
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Careful... calling other people trolls and responding to people in an inflammatory way also falls under the forum rules against Flaming and Trolling. Please do not do this. Even if your're not mentioning them by name, it's still against the rules.

Please show some respect for other people's opinions, even if you don't agree with them.

Stick with the facts -- Please don't speculate about other people's motivations.

When referring to other forum users, please leave off any personal references to beliefs, feelings, behavior, intelligence, character, skills, etc.

Any post that's been crafted to provoke an angry reaction is trolling and is subject to moderation, warnings, and infractions. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO TROLL POSTS! Report them.

Read the rules: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=128&a=51

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Live Long and Prosper,
    Bluegeek
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    wolfpack12cwolfpack12c Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Macos are NOT Starfleet

Not that I recall

which is also NOT a mini gun

voyager has a largely civilian crew and is WAY off regs yes

thus proving its not trek
    but those are "environmental suits"
    not armour

I know a mini gun and a blast cannon aren't the same but they are both assault weapons
    I'm about 100% sure Maco's are star fleet. It like the marines and the end of the day it's department of the navy
    -"There is no such thing as an I win button!" "Um, Sir. Whats this button that says (I win) for then?"
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Maco are not starfleet officers
    this is observable from enterprise
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Maco are not starfleet officers
    this is observable from enterprise

Sollvax, we understand that there is a distinction between them outside of the game.

However inside the game, there is no such class of player and the distinction is moot. The in-game armor referred to as MACO is wearable by Federation players by design and that's that.

We don't need to argue about this, okay?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    As you wish
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I agree with sollvax that only soldiers should be wearing armor. Which is true. But the Federation is at war... so all of their Officers are soldiers. And as such, all should be wearing armor.

:D :P :rolleyes:
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree with sollvax that only soldiers should be wearing armor. Which is true. But the Federation is at war... so all of their Officers are soldiers. And as such, all should be wearing armor.

:D :P :rolleyes:

Yup :-) Powerarmors for the win!!! I'm sad that we don't see more armor for starfleet officiers in the movies/series.

But asymmetrical armor is still a silly anime thing. Even if it looks "cool" in animes :D
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    somehow, i doubt the OP was talking about armor...i thing he ment kits. possible?:confused:
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    kalavierkalavier Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    somehow, i doubt the OP was talking about armor...i thing he ment kits. possible?:confused:

Yep. I think he meant kits more then armor.

Which IMO the Tac kits do kinda look like and armor suit anyway :P.

As for "not wearing armor", I agree with the people saying the SANE officers would get some protective gear if they know it might be hostile.
  • Options
    vitalityprimevitalityprime Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    kalavier wrote: »
    Yep. I think he meant kits more then armor.

No...I was definitely talking about the armor.

I gave up on wearing the kits as soon as I hit Admiral and realized how ridiculously bulky they became.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I gave up on wearing the kits as soon as I hit Admiral and realized how ridiculously bulky they became.

But the Science ones look so cool. The Engineer ones just look like you are wearing Lego bricks...
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    vitalityprimevitalityprime Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    But the Science ones look so cool. The Engineer ones just look like you are wearing Lego bricks...

I've only played as a Tactical Officer.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've only played as a Tactical Officer.

Well there's your problem.
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The larger problems is the lack of differing visualizations for the different armors.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Speaking of armor, at ESD I have seen a TAC LT wearing a shiny chrome-like armor with blue/white shining stripes at some places.

What was that for an armor? Fleet stuff?
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    To paraphrase Gandhi:

Be the Trek you want to see in this universe. :cool:
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009