test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO will never be completely functional. Deal With It!

revlotrevlot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Once I came to this conclusion, I dropped all my angst about what does not work, and became happy with what does work. Most of the game IS functional. It is a work in progress, and as such will have constant issues with this or that, but the majority of the game will always be up and running. The alternative is to have a static game that never introduces new features for fear of temporarily breaking some part of the game. Do we want that? A game that works but never adds new features? No, of course not. We want a game that is always being innovative and improving and expanding. So we deal with it when we encounter a bug in the system. If I come across something that does not work I move on to another part of the game that does work, and continue to have fun rather than let that one part of the game ruin my whole experience.

I recently became a LTS, based ONLY on the fact that the game now lets me have a 'Romulan Green' interface, I like green. One little improvement that greatly excited me, not because the game as a whole is 'Perfect' but rather because the game now 'Looks' right on my screen. I still buy PWE game cards for $20 on occasion, but I avoid the 'Specials' that give bonus Zen because I know those don't work now and will never work in the future - I only use the game cards that I KNOW work every time. Yes, I took a (small) chance buying the $200 LTS, but for that amount of money, even being a special sale, still worked instantly.

The secret to enjoying the game is to NOT get caught up in the 'Hype'. Avoid the cattle stampede to the advertised specials and you wont get trampled. This is only a game. Treat it as such and you will be much happier. Treat the game as though it were 'Real' life and you will be throwing yourself off a bridge in frustration.
Post edited by revlot on

Comments

• Options
    blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One day this game will be good enough to come out of Beta...
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One of these days people will actually stop complaining about things.
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    One of these days people will actually stop complaining about things.

One of these days people will stop complaining about people complaining about things.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One of these days people will stop complaining about people complaining about things.

ya one of these days the world will come together in harmony :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One of these days people will stop being ignorant.
  • Options
    macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Its Doubtful, but its nice you are optimistic.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I see it both ways.

There will always be bugs but that can't be a green light to not fix them.

I hated them for killing stf and here we are I waited since december for them to unblock my ground sets costumes - and the flamethrower.

They made me grind 5 weeks just to get to see items that to this day aren't working - at some point you have to ask yourself where to draw the line.

Is it fair to have end game gear unlocks not be working for half a year?

But yeah I am pure f2p so I get what I pay for
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One day I will find a decent pair of pants.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    axellightningaxellightning Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    One day I will find a decent pair of pants.

I second this. ;):D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, bugs are part and parcel of every MMO. Because you are constantly getting new additions, changes in the code will always affect things in unforeseen ways.

That said, bug smashing should always be carried out when it can.
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    some day the world will sing in perfect harmony.. (coca cola commercial series from the 1970's-80's)

we were such dreamers then.. what happened to that?

Gamers; putting the trek back in trek as much as the app will allow since 1980
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Basically the OP said "embrace mediocrity."

With attitudes like this it is no wonder developers get away with so much TRIBBLE.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited June 2013
    Just because it is f2p does not mean it should be bug infested. Ker'rat is still bugged for Roms nearly 1 month after LOR is released. It is probably an easy fix too. Tons of other problems and bugs that fester for years. Pretty sad for a game that was charging $120 for legacy packs and hundreds more for lockbox ships (not that I bought either)

I was happy to spend $20 or more per month. But no more. Not another penny until they fix their game.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited June 2013

With attitudes like this it is no wonder developers get away with so much TRIBBLE.

Basically, you are attempting a mediocre troll of the OP.

C'Mon! If you try really hard, you can go from being merely mediocre to slightly above average. And Lord knows we all need more slightly above average trolls around here. :D The regular garden variety trolls haven't posted anything original or funny for months now. It's like going past the Monkey House at the zoo when all of them are sleeping.

Yawn. Boring. And unfunny. Except to yourself and that one very creepy fan you have. Eeeewww!

With attitudes like yours, it's no wonder people lurk instead of posting things here which are useful.

But I digress. The OP is correct. Playing the game as it is, instead of constantly comparing it to some perfectly perfect version which exists only in fantasy, reduces the angst and stress and brings the fun back to STO. Some people around here act like the Devs are going out of their way to make people personally miserable. I do not for one second think this is true. After all, I don't know any of the Devs, or the Moderators here, personally. And if I did, I doubt I'd let them know they can put a burr under my saddle that far up. Further, I am just another faceless minion of the InterWebs. The only person I truly matter to is myself. And my Mommy. Who worries a lot when I don't come up out of the basement for fresh air and sunshine often enough.

There are lots of things which can and should be improved in STO. I believe if you ask anyone working at PWE/Cryptic, they would agree wholeheartedly with this statement. Do any of you trolls wanna volunteer to show the Devs the error of their ways and how something this complex should be coded? For free? Only fair since you've charged us nothing for your attitude and opinion.

Unh hunh. Thought so.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One day we will all be borg.
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2013

LOL. Reminds me of this.
  • Options
    marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I will accept that when new things are added that their will be some bugs but I won't except that their are major bugs that comes with a release that prevent people from being able to log in to play or kick you out of missions and that these bugs take multiple weeks to fix and I won't except that minor bugs last for months and even longer before being fixed assuming that they are fixed.

I have heard people talk about some bugs that have been in the game for years that is unacceptable. The people who run this game IMO don't care enough about the quality of the game. What ever happened to pride in ones work? Why do people not care about the quality of their work anymore?

Their is just to much greed trying to make a quick buck not realizing that if they have a better product it improves the potential to make money. Look at it this way a new player plays the game gets a major mission breaking bug that prevents you from completing the missions and they keep trying over and over again and keep getting that bug and that new person then decides that they won't spend money on the game because of bugs like that. They then also tell their friends not to waste time playing the game because of major bugs like that.

Their are a lot of story missions that have bugs in them some that people have made jokes about like Romulans shoots their plasma torps at you but the torps then change target and hit other Romulan ships.

When I first started playing the game last year I had encountered a lot of bugs during a lot of missions including ones from the Dominion story arc that prevented me from completing the mission and I looked at Star Trek Wiki and it said that those bugs had been present for months. That is unacceptable.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Never have I played a game with so many issues. The thing is though, they're rather tiny issues. Insignificant ones that don't really impact gameplay much. But there are SO MANY, and they're very noticeable. I can't go through one gameplay system in this game without running into issues. And this has been going on since LAUNCH in 2010.

Every content launch has so many damn bugs, that by the time Cryptic actually fixes most of them, we get ANOTHER content launch that BREAKS EVERYTHING AGAIN. And the cycle repeats itself, because Cryptic and PWE are cheap and REFUSE to do anything to improve their QA process. I've even seen people ask Cryptic to STOP MAKING CONTENT and spend more time FIXING BUGS.

Out of all the online games I have played in the past 10 years, the amount of issues I've encountered from all of them MULTIPLIED BY TEN does not even compare to the metric crapton of issues I've dealt with in STO.

Why do I still play? Because I love Star Trek, and I still have a blast enjoying parts of the game that still actually function.
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "Once I realized the game wasn't going to get any better, it got easier to accept it for what it is."

Seems legit.
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    ya one of these days the world will come together in harmony :D

they already did....then they found more stuff to complain about :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    article001article001 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    quick poll . . . who here remembers when implied targeting worked?

/arm
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Never have I played a game with so many issues. The thing is though, they're rather tiny issues. Insignificant ones that don't really impact gameplay much. But there are SO MANY, and they're very noticeable. I can't go through one gameplay system in this game without running into issues. And this has been going on since LAUNCH in 2010.

Every content launch has so many damn bugs, that by the time Cryptic actually fixes most of them, we get ANOTHER content launch that BREAKS EVERYTHING AGAIN. And the cycle repeats itself, because Cryptic and PWE are cheap and REFUSE to do anything to improve their QA process. I've even seen people ask Cryptic to STOP MAKING CONTENT and spend more time FIXING BUGS.

Out of all the online games I have played in the past 10 years, the amount of issues I've encountered from all of them MULTIPLIED BY TEN does not even compare to the metric crapton of issues I've dealt with in STO.

Why do I still play? Because I love Star Trek, and I still have a blast enjoying parts of the game that still actually function.

This ^^^^ :(
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Never have I played a game with so many issues.

Play Champions Online then. You'll find it has outdone STO in "issues." :P
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Play Champions Online then. You'll find it has outdone STO in "issues." :P

Oh, I haven't played Champions in awhile, since 2011 I think? And it wasn't that bad back then. It must be a nightmare these days! :eek:
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2013

If only it was mediocrity .
    At this point the only outstanding thing this game offers is visuals (not counting some of the new UI bits) .
  • Options
    yazzukayazzuka Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Basically, you are attempting a mediocre troll of the OP.

C'Mon! If you try really hard, you can go from being merely mediocre to slightly above average. And Lord knows we all need more slightly above average trolls around here. :D The regular garden variety trolls haven't posted anything original or funny for months now. It's like going past the Monkey House at the zoo when all of them are sleeping.

Yawn. Boring. And unfunny. Except to yourself and that one very creepy fan you have. Eeeewww!

With attitudes like yours, it's no wonder people lurk instead of posting things here which are useful.

But I digress. The OP is correct. Playing the game as it is, instead of constantly comparing it to some perfectly perfect version which exists only in fantasy, reduces the angst and stress and brings the fun back to STO. Some people around here act like the Devs are going out of their way to make people personally miserable. I do not for one second think this is true. After all, I don't know any of the Devs, or the Moderators here, personally. And if I did, I doubt I'd let them know they can put a burr under my saddle that far up. Further, I am just another faceless minion of the InterWebs. The only person I truly matter to is myself. And my Mommy. Who worries a lot when I don't come up out of the basement for fresh air and sunshine often enough.

There are lots of things which can and should be improved in STO. I believe if you ask anyone working at PWE/Cryptic, they would agree wholeheartedly with this statement. Do any of you trolls wanna volunteer to show the Devs the error of their ways and how something this complex should be coded? For free? Only fair since you've charged us nothing for your attitude and opinion.

Unh hunh. Thought so.

muhaha u sure have a lot of time on ur hands try working it takes away the urge to be a nerd
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If people did not complain then nothing would ever get done...... SO the OP needs to get over their selves, people will always complain, they have the right to do so...... Deal with it!! :P
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I would compare STO to a Sloppy Joe. It's delicious (subjective) and you can sink your teeth into it, but it's a freakin' mess...

But still...

*OM NOM NOM NOM* :P