test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Outage - 6/13 [Resolved!]

Comments

• macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited June 2013
    IDK - I've been supporting servers for 25+ years, and I don't know of ANY software that can countdown to an unexpected server crash (IE I don't think they took the server down, it crashed.)

No but they could have a message in game that tells you the server is down. This could be an official message posted by admin for all to see. They could put in continuous updates or an ETA. They could also go on their site and comment on the countless failures and crashes.

Oh and they could apologize for their total incompetence too, most especially as people paid lots of money for LoR and beyond.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Everyone needed to fix the issue was likely at home and about to go to bed. I figure it will take a while. This is happening entirely too often lately. It's like I am dealing with a supposedly recovering addict that keeps having a relapse.

In the mean time since I've a little time left tonight to dedicate to the game I guess I can try to puzzle out if I should go buy a Khar'fi or just wait and see the scimitar pack for a new character. I like big ships but the new day of A2B builds rubs me wrong somehow.

Weird but interesting drones for that scimitar... Not sure how they will compare to the KDF frigates in play.

Yes I am rambling. Guy has to pass the time and I don't want to let it make me feel like a difficult TRIBBLE is being passed. Some of you need a cookie.
  • aoav160aoav160 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    khazimir wrote: »
    Same thing could be said the Activision and Bobby Kotick. Makes me wonder how World of ******** has hung on for so long after the buyout.

Activision closed down their Minnesota office last month, maybe cryptic can grab a few devs.
  • grandadmthrawngrandadmthrawn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cuatela wrote: »
    So you were a programmer for several thousand clients running a wide variety of systems, with a game comprising over 10 GB of information, with a multi-national corporation breathing down your neck with a timetable?

Wow, I bet Cryptic could learna lot from you. :rolleyes:

I being a coder myself, cannot understand how when one has a product worth so much money and has one(most likely many) test servers can allow a patch to go live that can take out the entire system.

I'm assuming from watching this mess for some years that there are no test scripts that simulate many many users.

And being in a remotely similar position in the past maybe sometimes we just go, yeh put that code live. I've been in that position, and its hurt some times.

But i'm not running a massive online game, it should not get to this point.
  • deightonxdeightonx Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yeah its down and right before it did i noticed and looked my Omega & Rom Reputations went from maxed to zero.....& lost a Adapted Maco Engines Mk XII's down to 489 omega pts to go lost in the crafting process??? sooooo......i hope they clear up on whats going on. :cool:
  • alphaphasertechalphaphasertech Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Someone needs to break forum rules so they have no excuse to not pay attention here. xD
    "If the Iconians come, and we're not ready... Well, let's just say these petty arguments won't mean a thing." - Vice Admiral Thomas Bouwman of the Starsiders
  • rhyobitrhyobit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    treking2 wrote: »
    Is anyone from Perfect World even watching this thread?

Even a generic word from Branflakes saying
    "we know about the problem and are working on a solution"
    would be appreciated at this point, although an
    Estimated Time for a fix would be even better.

Think they'd much rather treat us like mushrooms....
  • paladinfury1978paladinfury1978 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rob2485 wrote: »
    This proves my point that when there is a big launch like Legacy of Romulus in the future they need to do extensive testing instead of pushing it out buggy.

I play another online game and they did a two month closed Beta before going live on 1 server and then releasing to everyone. I realize we only have 1 server but my point is Information Technology 101 teaches us to test software before releasing it.

They used to have to pretty good beta tests... if not in length, at least in terms of number of players participating. Problem with the last Beta run... They usually announce some kind of reward like a unique Tribble, or some sort of pet or Doff.
    This last Beta they didn't announce anykind of reward, and when it was hinted at in the Forums nothing was ever confirmed. I played the Beta quite a bit, and there wasn't nearly many ppl on there as there was the last time.
  • spiritsh0ckspiritsh0ck Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GOD GOD!!! Earth and Beyond, have not thought about that game in years. And I agree they wasted a good game!
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f104/Wily-AE/Random/DOWN.png

Page 43 already. When we get to ~100 it'll be up. ;)
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • dufus9889dufus9889 Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2013
    Twitter is silent also. Say something great about the game and they are quick with a response. I do believe they are flustered about this one.
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Been off STO almost all day, finally come back to get back on in hopes they have fixed the lag issues and the bonus mark fail to find out the game DOWN.

What a waste D:
  • alrycalryc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As with any game EA gets their hands on. Anyone remember Earth and Beyond? Loved it! Until they dropped it to try and boost sales for their lame TRIBBLE Sims game.

Ultima Online? Loved it! Until EA completely ruined it with their fancy updates. Well, Raph Kostar technically ruined that one just like SWG...

EA and Raph Kostar, if you see their names attached to it, Run.

I loved Earth & Beyond, was a shame how EA killed it. I long for the days when games were made by passionate developers, instead of "suits" who know nothing of or care for games.

Anyhoo, I find it strangely amusing that on the debut of the bonus mark weekend and announcement of bonus zen, the servers melt down. :D
  • tdawg65tdawg65 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i logged in earlier after the patch.
    Now i cant log in at all.

It was like that for me to. Now I can't do squat.

LONG LIVE STO: STAR TREK OFFLINE!!!!
  • whoami2whoami2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    still waiting and waiting and waiting ahhhhh
  • painkillerjaynepainkillerjayne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    You keep saying these words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my server. Prepare to die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Command Officers of the USS Wyvern (from left to right):
    Aurellia Eshkah (Tactical); Indigo Shae (Engineering); Nysiay Chysiayki (VA, Ship Captain)
    Jeclia Sek (Science); Vally Mantivour (Security)
  • evildead197681evildead197681 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Downloading new game as I type this.

Cryptic you can only TRIBBLE on people for so long before they have had enough and leave the game.
  • ericandrewrossericandrewross Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thore187 wrote: »
    Sooo......they don't even bother making an official thread when the server unexpectedly goes down anymore huh?

and this surprises you why?
    Vice Admiral Ross
    and others too numerous to name...
  • locke112164locke112164 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    so when is bran gonna wake up and inform us just what happened?
  • weirdoman1weirdoman1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    " rel="nofollow">Page 43 already. When we get to ~100 it'll be up. ;)

I'm surprised that it's not at 100 already.
    Spock: If I were human, I believe my response would be... "Go to hell"... if I were human.

Data: Captain, I believe I speak for everyone here, sir, when I say, "To hell with our orders." :cool:
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A little compensation would be nice for all of this, it's getting to be jolly ridiculous :o
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knuckles2967knuckles2967 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I owe the server guy where I work an apology. He's not so bad. Our stuff only crashes a couple times a week. I guess he's pretty good. Who knew. lol
  • whoami4whoami4 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am logging in loggin... why isn't it logging in?
  • ejg2k10ejg2k10 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    :Anyone for full contact Checkers????
  • genrldestructiongenrldestruction Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    Probably some code that all of PWE's games share. Write once, crash everywhere.

This doesn't necessarily have the hallmarks of a code glitch. I'll admit, it could be software, but there might be hardware at fault somewhere too. Without seeing what their engineers can see I don't want to say it's one or the other. If Neverwinter was down too, I'd be more inclined to agree it was code.
  • aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And I was wondering if I should take the day off... hmm.
  • jrmotorsports88jrmotorsports88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i left for months went played eve then came back to this sever on again off again TRIBBLE
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But do make sure, everyone, to give Cryptic your money, which they've so clearly earned, for 15% extra zen to spend in a game that's never up!
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tinnydancertinnydancer Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Can anyone at Cryptic or PWE explain exactly what it means when you take the server/shard down for two hours for "Server stability updates" or "Made improvements for general server stability"?

Seriously, what is the Cryptic/PWE definition of stability?

Have your developers fubared everything to a point that every time you fix one thing it breaks another?

Here's s suggetion,.. How about you fix everything that is broken before you intoduce anymore new features.
  • alphaphasertechalphaphasertech Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cuatela wrote: »
    So you were a programmer for several thousand clients running a wide variety of systems, with a game comprising over 10 GB of information, with a multi-national corporation breathing down your neck with a timetable?

Wow, I bet Cryptic could learna lot from you. :rolleyes:

Way to just insult someone who has 30 years field experience. I'm sure you (don't) have quite the thing hanging between your legs.

Do YOU have 30 years experience in the field? do YOU have any reason to dispute his claim? I highly doubt it, so go to the back of the bus and shut up.
    "If the Iconians come, and we're not ready... Well, let's just say these petty arguments won't mean a thing." - Vice Admiral Thomas Bouwman of the Starsiders
This discussion has been closed.