test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Port STO to Xbox One and/or PS4.

ussdanubeussdanube Member Posts: 105 Arc User
I believe that Cryptic should enquire and investigate into porting STO and maybe even other games by cryptic to the xbox one or the ps4. They both have the specs to handle STO.
Post edited by ussdanube on

Comments

• Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "How 'bout NO Goldmember...ya crazy Dutch TRIBBLE"

-Dr Evil
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No. Its a waste of resources and development time for something few would use.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    maybe back in the old Atari days.... PWE likely has no interest in going to consoles, that would mean more costs to pay on their end, as they have to go into negotiations with microsoft and sony and pay those two to put their game(s) on them, let alone the funding for making a PS4/XBox1 controller friendly setup.

yes i know they already got limited controller suppoer, but it would have to be beefed up a lot to get everything to work with only one controller.
  • Options
    donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For the love of god don't try porting it to XBOX. Microsoft have some of the worst policies imaginable when it comes to allowing games companies to produce software for its system.

For a start they will demand that any and all purchases made for in-game items be made with XBOX points, so all prices would increase; Secondly they expect all games to be hosted on their hardware which means handing over complete control of any future issues to their teams.

Any updates/fixes/expansions are restricted to a fixed number per year and the updates can only be released when Microsoft say so. If all that wasn't enough, they charge for updates too, so those costs would be passed on to us.

All in all, a damn stupid idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    corgatagcorgatag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Way too many buttons in STO for a game controller. Even if you make all the no-brainers autocast (EPtX, TT, ...), there are still so many situational combat abilities.

I actually play WoW too, and this was the first game that forced me to integrate Ctrl and Alt chords into my keybinds. ><
  • Options
    ussdanubeussdanube Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No swearing in the thread. yes everyone's probably right. just an idea. Keep the discussion clean and civil.
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How about if you really want to play a console game, then you go play a console game and leave STO on the PC where it should stay, unmolested by the unwashed masses of console gamers! :P :D
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ussdanube wrote: »
    I believe that Cryptic should enquire and investigate into porting STO and maybe even other games by cryptic to the xbox one or the ps4. They both have the specs to handle STO.

Heh, my Wii could handle this game.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ussdanube wrote: »
    No swearing in the thread. yes everyone's probably right. just an idea. Keep the discussion clean and civil.
    What the frak?!

Are you trying to backseat moderate on your thread?

Also. This would be a total waste of time for the devs.
  • Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited June 2013
    For the love of god don't try porting it to XBOX. Microsoft have some of the worst policies imaginable when it comes to allowing games companies to produce software for its system.

For a start they will demand that any and all purchases made for in-game items be made with XBOX points, so all prices would increase; Secondly they expect all games to be hosted on their hardware which means handing over complete control of any future issues to their teams.

Any updates/fixes/expansions are restricted to a fixed number per year and the updates can only be released when Microsoft say so. If all that wasn't enough, they charge for updates too, so those costs would be passed on to us.

All in all, a damn stupid idea.

what hole did you pull all of this from? no wait, don't tell me, your TRIBBLE. For starters, MS announced yesterday, at E3, that they are dropping the point system for purchases and moving to direct cash purchases, just like with the MS store apps in windows 8. Not that it makes a difference really, in the long run it all works out to be the same amount of cash required for a purchase directly vs buying points and then buying w/e items it is you want. This just cuts out the middle man.

I've never once paid for a game update on xbox live. Who ever gave you that info is a moron or a liar, or both. Either way its clear you've never used xbox live.

3rdly putting sto server maintenance in the hands of someone other than cryptic would be a good thing, however MS will not allow cross platform between xbox and pc currently. Software development would still be the responsibility of cryptic.

And no, MS does not limit the amount of updates someone can release... that's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If its broke, and with cryptic it always is, they're not gonna tell em they can't fix it cuz they've used up some mythical allocation of updates.
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Since STO is a bit of a Kluge that they are trying to keep running and stable on a PC with varying degrees of success, expecting it to be ported to a console and play well with other systems would be a nightmare to say the least.

As someone has already said, if you want to play console games, get a console. If you want to play STO, save the money and use it to get a better computer.
  • Options
    stulloydstulloyd Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yer both the Current Xbox 360 & PS3 have the specs to handle Star trek Online. U can get it on the Xbox 360 already. but there aint a PS3 Version of the game & FYI. PS4 is a PS3 just with much faster loading speeds with the disks than current.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is this the week of bad idea threads
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You can't get STO on X Box 360. They thought about it, but cancelled it.
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    threat21 wrote: »
    what hole did you pull all of this from? no wait, don't tell me, your TRIBBLE. For starters, MS announced yesterday, at E3, that they are dropping the point system for purchases and moving to direct cash purchases, just like with the MS store apps in windows 8. Not that it makes a difference really, in the long run it all works out to be the same amount of cash required for a purchase directly vs buying points and then buying w/e items it is you want. This just cuts out the middle man.

I've never once paid for a game update on xbox live. Who ever gave you that info is a moron or a liar, or both. Either way its clear you've never used xbox live.

3rdly putting sto server maintenance in the hands of someone other than cryptic would be a good thing, however MS will not allow cross platform between xbox and pc currently. Software development would still be the responsibility of cryptic.

And no, MS does not limit the amount of updates someone can release... that's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If its broke, and with cryptic it always is, they're not gonna tell em they can't fix it cuz they've used up some mythical allocation of updates.

First off, MS won't be running the shard that hosts Holodeck on which STO runs. Cryptic will continue to do that because of Cryptics proprietary game engine.

Secondly, MS, and all of the other online console services, have some sort of vetting process on game updates to insure that the patches or updates do NOT break the console, the service or otherwise allow intentional misuse of the console network.

Thirdly, depending on which game that you play, when you go to download the additional expansion or other DLC you DO have to pay for it in some may.

Anything else that you're wrong about and need an education on or in? ;)
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Porting to the Xbox One should be (relatively) trivial, given it's basically a PC with Windows. Two problems already brought up though:

1. I don't see how the game can be played on a controller. Would love if it were otherwise, I've tried to use a controller for STO, it's just impossible. It's like taking TIE Fighter and trying to control it like it's Rogue Squadron.

2. As donut said, Microsoft is The Devil. Satan. Hades. Beelzebub. You get the idea. Sony might be a bit more open, but it would take more work converting all the Direct X calls to Open GL or whatever Sony is using.

So, I would love to play this on a console. I could get the PC that's cluttering up my living room out of the way. Not likely to happen though.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    zatharus2zatharus2 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is currently only 1 game that I know of which is truly cross platform, FFXI.

You can play on PC, Xbox 360 and PS2 and it's all on the same servers, no segregation between platform.

It is doable and MS seems ok with it.

However it would require resources cryptic and PWE do not have.

But with more MMO coming to consoles (Elder Scrolls Online, FFXIV) it might be something to consider as it opens a wide market of new players.

But, I do think Cryptic needs to focus though on fixing lingering issues, improving content, stabilizing the game, before they even consider a port to console
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Actually u can play STO on a 360. i know people whom have it on their 360. FYI. Also current PS3 & Xbox 360 have way better graphics than current PC's & can handle games like this better than PC's. So why aint just for that alone they could do them on both consoles now if they wanted.
  • Options
    atticusmasatticusmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well....they COULD devote significant resources to developing for the crappiest xbox ever created....sometimes I think I COULD take crystal meth...but then I think....maybe not....
  • Options
    zatharus2zatharus2 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    stulloyd wrote: »
    Actually u can play STO on a 360. i know people whom have it on their 360. FYI. Also current PS3 & Xbox 360 have way better graphics than current PC's & can handle games like this better than PC's. So why aint just for that alone they could do them on both consoles now if they wanted.

STO was never released for Xbox 360, so if you know people who are able to play STO on the console, it is by means not intended to work.

Also, PC is capable of better graphics performance than consoles due to the upgradeable nature of the hardware.
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Troll. Proof or GTFO :rolleyes:
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Whoops a repost there.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    First off, MS won't be running the shard that hosts Holodeck on which STO runs. Cryptic will continue to do that because of Cryptics proprietary game engine.

Secondly, MS, and all of the other online console services, have some sort of vetting process on game updates to insure that the patches or updates do NOT break the console, the service or otherwise allow intentional misuse of the console network.

Thirdly, depending on which game that you play, when you go to download the additional expansion or other DLC you DO have to pay for it in some may.

Anything else that you're wrong about and need an education on or in? ;)

remind me again what mmo that's on xbox live you're basing this on? Far as i know there isn't any, though world of tanks is coming soon... but I don't guess that would fit in the same genre as sto or wow or the like.

MS wont run anything for STO because they wouldn't want this 3rd rate game on their services... though i'm sure cryptic would love it since theres like 150x more xbox live users than people who have even created a sto account and would garner advertisement and the like. but w/e it would be it wouldn't interact with the holodeck service. I believe I already stated this.

And yes, you are right, MS wouldn't want to be indirectly embarrassed by an update blunder that cryptic is prone to. So of course they would want to make sure it works before it goes live, something cryptic could learn from, but alas wishful thinking. However, that doesn't mean they're limited to the number of updates they can release.

And lastly, you said we had to pay for updates. DLC is not an update, those are optional addons. Required content has always been free, and no, map packs for halo are not required content.

Anything else you wish to correct me on teacher?

*edit
    I forgot about final fantasy XI, though I have no idea what the infrastructure is like behind that that allows cross platform play, or if its even still available for play.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I know people whom have sto on their 360 .
    No, you don't.
    current PS3 & Xbox 360 have way better graphics than current PC's & can handle games like this better than PC's. So why aint just for that alone they could do them on both consoles now if they wanted.

Laughably untrue.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    http://www.1up.com/news/star-trek-online-console-ports

I beg to differ
  • Options
    curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tc10b wrote: »

Believe it or not, it can be done. That being said; it can be done by the hackiest of means and I doubt it runs particularly well. Take a look at Free60
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Last year my PC broke. I then found out if I had a 360 I could have downloaded it for the 3 months it took me to save for a new PC. I wasannoyed to hell when I found out u could download to the Xbox 360 the disk eater. LOL.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost

yeah except they're moving from power pc architecture to x86 architecture which will make game development for them a lot easier, but no, you're right, they're the same systems. derp.
  • Options
    trenthowelltrenthowell Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2013

http://youtu.be/Lm_GPkOfVKI?t=4s

......wait you're serious....

PC gamers have been laughing at Console specs practically since the day they came out.
This discussion has been closed.