test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dev: Why canceling a project doesnt refund the resources?

matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
I just tried to cancel a project and got a pop-up stating that all resources that I put into it would be lost.

Reputation projects of later tier require a massive resource gathering. That means time. Therefore, it would be nice if the resources could be refund. Otherwise, what is the point of canceling a project? may as well finish it and get the item.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    atticusmasatticusmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The ONLY reason they added the cancel button was just incase you accidentally added a project you could not possibly finish (like if you had selected the nukara suit one and did not have the suit)

Once you add resources to it, and recognize you are able to finish this project, you gotta finish it man, or lose what you have already given. It's actually really fair.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    its the dev way of saying you Fraked up and time to pay the the black hole troll
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The reputation system is based on the fleet holding system. The fleet projects don't store what items are put in, or who donated them, just how much towards completion in each category it is. To be honest, it's not practical to track every individual duty officer and match dilithium with each person just in case the project gets cancelled.

With the reputation system, the inputs are often more 'generic' commodities than officers, and you're the only one doing it, but it's constrained by the system it was spawned from. Changing it would take system resources better used for other things. Right now, they've decided the best solution is for cancellations to be a rare thing for emergency usage, not a common refund button.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's better than not being able to delete them at all. I'll take it for what it is.
  • Options
    shredder75shredder75 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's better than not being able to delete them at all. I'll take it for what it is.

This. It's for times when you accidentally start a project you didn't mean to do. Not for cancelling one after having buyer's remorse.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    When you donate some item to a project, it is permanently deleted. It could be possible that refunding reputation projects would be possible eventually, but not with how they are currently set up.
  • Options
    nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    People would be using them as another bank to store things.
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you don't want to slot a project, don't slot it. If you do finish it and set yourself that goal. It's not that big of a deal, even at the higher tiers.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Coz they want you to waste even more time grinding your rear end off
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    Coz they want you to waste even more time grinding your rear end off

Sorry, but this is not fair. They way things were you could accidentally start a project you didn't want (happend to me as I selected a MK X and wanted the Mk XI) and you could not cancel it. They fixed that.
    If you do put resources in, then you know what your are doing. Blaming the developers is not fair.
  • Options
    ussweatherlightussweatherlight Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OP, how many times do you think you should be able to TRIBBLE up before you have to suffer a penalty?

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • Options
    donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You'd think that if you were about to dump vast amounts of resources into a project, you would have already made sure you A: Had the right project and B: Could finish that project. If you didn't bother doing either of those before dumping 20k + Dil and hundreds of Marks into something, then it's your own damn fault.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The delete option was added because you can make a mistake and select the wrong project. Which usually mean you see that right away, and loose nothing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Because the stuff you dump into projects isn't a real. Once you donate it its deleted from one database table and converted to another database table. There is no way to reverse info out of that database table back into your inventory or assets tab.

Its a limit of how the system was built, and the devs have said so since the system was created. Folks wanted a cancel button regardless and the devs gave it to us. Just be glad they gave it to us at all.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    The delete option was added because you can make a mistake and select the wrong project. Which usually mean you see that right away, and loose nothing.

Yes, like I said, it's not a buyers remorse thing, it's a "DAMNITALL I PUSHED THE WRONG BUTTON!!!" thing.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    erei1 wrote: »

Exactly.
    The player can make two mistakes in this system.
    The first is to slot the wrong project.
    The second is to donate to the wrong project.
    The cancellation is there to fix the first, not the second.
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Be lucky they actually added a cancel button. It's a "oops, my bad" button for slotting a project you cannot complete or don't want after all. If you placed resources into one, it implies you can/want to do it. Only fair cancelling it flushes out these resources...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The delete option was added to all but the bonus event I have a crystalline option in there that I need only 1 shard but don't have that shard and cryptic hasn't added the delete button to that. So something needs to be done with that.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    robeasom wrote: »
    The delete option was added to all but the bonus event I have a crystalline option in there that I need only 1 shard but don't have that shard and cryptic hasn't added the delete button to that. So something needs to be done with that.
    AFAIK You can still get shards from running the Crystalline entity event now to finish it off.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    AFAIK You can still get shards from running the Crystalline entity event now to finish it off.

I do CE everyday and all it gives is Nukara marks I have never recieved a shard to finish this.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    robeasom wrote: »

As that is the only option for that event and it might come back later, they most likely left it. If you didn't finish the inital reputation event, there is a single mission that follows where you turn in shards for dilithium as you can marks for dilithium. There is nothing to replace it with even if you could delete it. I would sit on that one and you may end up with a nice headstart.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    arkhamanarkhaman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Think of it like cooking a meal. You don't get to put the yolk back into the eggshell after you've scrambled them. Committing resources to a project is exactly that, a commitment. Those resources are lost after you transfer them, and I believe that's how it should be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The real reason is because all of the code for the reputation system was taken almost directly from the fleet holding system, and no means of canceling fleet projects was ever contemplated when that was set up (nor will it ever be possible to cancel fleet projects, for good reason). So the project inputs are simply discarded forever at the time of contribution. The only record that they ever existed is the new position of the project's progress bar, with no log kept of who contributed what (remember, code taken from fleet UI).

What you're asking isn't necessarily impossible but it also isn't going to be easy for them to implement. It can't make them money and very few people probably care, so it likely won't ever happen.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I said this in another of these threads, but I'll repeat it here:

The cancel function is for someone who miss clicks a project due to lag etc..

The cancel function is not for someone who changes their mind mid way through a project..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited July 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    The cancel function is for someone who miss clicks a project due to lag etc..

It happened to me and didn't realize it until it put mark/dil in. This crappy lag also caused mishaps when buying commodities.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Devs should make a pop up to confirm a project.
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited July 2013
    matrix0 wrote: »
    Devs should make a pop up to confirm a project.

we really dont need more popups..

you can start a project then cancel it before you add things to it if you start the wrong one.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why? Because the Rep UI was lifted directly from the Fleet UI, and they absolutely cannot allow running fleet projects to be canceled, much less allow resources from a canceled fleet project to be refunded, so they never even considered adding the option when that system was developed.

Inputs are simply discarded. You get a reward- credits from the fleet, nothing visible from rep- and the only record of the items contributed and who put them in is the new position of the project's progress bar. Changing that behavior would require Cryptic to pay a programmer to work on something stupid.
    nileight1 wrote: »
    People would be using them as another bank to store things.

...and that's another reason it won't change.
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    atticusmas wrote: »
    The ONLY reason they added the cancel button was just incase you accidentally added a project you could not possibly finish (like if you had selected the nukara suit one and did not have the suit)

Once you add resources to it, and recognize you are able to finish this project, you gotta finish it man, or lose what you have already given. It's actually really fair.

I completely agree with this. If you've started filling a project I don't understand why you would cancel it - it's only for when you accidentally slot things!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    /what he said. :D

What he said about what the other guy said.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
This discussion has been closed.