test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rescheduled Systems Maintenance + Server Stability Patch (June 7, 2013) [Complete!]

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Compare the downtime to a tax raise. If you are the only one who receives a tax raise over and over again then i guarantee that in time you'll say "spread the love around".

This is the situation where many in Europe are now. They understand the need for maintenance, but they grow tired that it is always them who have to bite the bullet.

It is insignificant that the maintenance is performed during low activity hours (if that is the case) if it means that the same group is always on the receiving end of the downtime.

Cryptic is well underway of alienating a large group of players while they could easily vary the maintenance times. Downtime once every now and then isn't so bad, but downtime almost every other day during one of the peek hours for your timezone (Be it US, European or Australian) gets on your nerves.

Those of us in America who play at that time (such as myself since I'm an early riser) have to bite the bullet too.

You make it sound like Europeans are the only ones biting a bullet whenever the shard goes down.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vawlkus wrote: »
    Can you read? Just asking.

I'll break it down for you: The server is around the PDT timezone, as that's the time code they use in the announcements. With that in mind, re-read the announcement:
    7AM - 9AM PDT.
    They are doing this stuff first thing in the morning, basically as soon as the day shift is in the office.

Dunno what you consider to be American time, but first thing in the AMERICAN MORNING definitely qualifies in my opinion. Especially since that's midday for me, being on the opposite coast, and north in Canada.

In the event this is still unsatisfactory for you, feel free to buy the damn company and reschedule their time to better suit your arrogant self.

He can read, he just doesn't have the cognitive capacity to learn new information, my guess is he reads it forgets it ten seconds later as the pea he calls a brain can't hold that much information and then repeats his flawed argument, either that or he's a troll, or both.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • Options
    captainsteve3captainsteve3 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    defcon1776 wrote: »

and what is a battle troll console?:confused:
  • Options
    yazzukayazzuka Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013

capt steve is confused today :rolleyes:
  • Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    echatty wrote: »
    Those of us in America who play at that time (such as myself since I'm an early riser) have to bite the bullet too.

You make it sound like Europeans are the only ones biting a bullet whenever the shard goes down.

Can't we all get along. Last I heard Europe and the US were on the same side. I'm in the US but I do understand their pain as I am affected by the downtime too. All they want is equity not exclusivity.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I've always liked math and spelling.

Hehe it was spelling and science for me!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I keep it around just for the [-BS]x3 proc...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    otisnoble wrote: »
    Can't we all get along. Last I heard Europe and the US were on the same side. I'm in the US but I do understand their pain as I am affected by the downtime too. All they want is equity not exclusivity.

I'm not playing hard to get along with, I was just pointing out that Europeans aren't the only ones affected by the downtime, as many of the European posts imply.

No matter what time the shard goes down for maintenance or whatever it will affect both US and European players. As well as anyone else around the world who happens to play the game.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Compare the downtime to a tax raise. If you are the only one who receives a tax raise over and over again then i guarantee that in time you'll say "spread the love around".

This is the situation where many in Europe are now. They understand the need for maintenance, but they grow tired that it is always them who have to bite the bullet.

It is insignificant that the maintenance is performed during low activity hours (if that is the case) if it means that the same group is always on the receiving end of the downtime.

Cryptic is well underway of alienating a large group of players while they could easily vary the maintenance times. Downtime once every now and then isn't so bad, but downtime almost every other day during one of the peek hours for your timezone (Be it US, European or Australian) gets on your nerves.

This is the best, possibly the only intelligent approach to that side of the 'discussion' I've seen so far, for that I applaud you, however I believe it's a minority of people suffering the down time that actually see it as more than a slight inconvenience, I for one, as I've stated before, get hit by at least 9/10 downtimes but I'm not bothered by it, for several reasons I can't be bothered typing for, how ever many posts my count is up to now, divided by 3, roughly!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

• Options
    persephone51313persephone51313 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    irwin109 wrote: »

Don't you need math for science?

And wouldn't this down time be a wonderful opportunity to read a good book, call a family member and/or friend to just say hi, go see that new movie you've been dying to see, etc? Just saying.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    irwin109 wrote: »

Science was okay. I really hated English Lit/English. Breaking down sentences and knowing the difference between verbs and adverbs was never my cup of tea ;)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To recite a certain famous Vorta.. "Come now, there's no need for this petty bickering. We're all friends here." :rolleyes:
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • Options
    azure1986azure1986 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow so many people complaining again about the down time, I live in Europe while yes I find it annoying, I can understand why the company is doing the downtime when it is, for them it makes most sense, like if it was a EU game, it would be done off peak for EU, each company will do what is best for their country and game.

So oh well we got to wait till 5pm, what a shame, my peak game time is in the evening anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm not playing hard to get along with, I was just pointing out that Europeans aren't the only ones affected by the downtime, as many of the European posts imply.

No matter what time the shard goes down for maintenance or whatever it will affect both US and European players. As well as anyone else around the world who happens to play the game.

i wonder tho what the amount of complaints would be would the downtime be late in the afternoon 1600-1800 h in your region not that i am saying it would be whorse .

lets just get over it already and if needed you may come and shoot me in 45 min
    ^:D
  • Options
    andy1884andy1884 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not particularly well up on shards and servers and all that bollocks, but surely the problem is that they only have one server which is overloaded, when really they should be running both US and European based servers for both STO and Neverwinter?
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    all I would like to know is what did I just download if the work that is being done today was to make the server's more stable ?
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    persephone51313persephone51313 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    azure1986 wrote: »
    Wow so many people complaining again about the down time, I live in Europe while yes I find it annoying, I can understand why the company is doing the downtime when it is, for them it makes most sense, like if it was a EU game, it would be done off peak for EU, each company will do what is best for their country and game.

So oh well we got to wait till 5pm, what a shame, my peak game time is in the evening anyway.

It might also have to do with it being the least amount of usage during Cryptic's Engineers' normal work hours. Doesn't make economic sense for Cryptic to pay overtime or shift differential just to install a patch.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I do play between three-five pm, inet permitting.

I have a flaky inet that likes to go down at odd times and afternoon/evenings are its favorite times.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is this maintenance finished now? I am seeing server status green in the launcher.
  • Options
    azure1986azure1986 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It might also have to do with it being the least amount of usage during Cryptic's Engineers' normal work hours. Doesn't make economic sense for Cryptic to pay overtime or shift differential just to install a patch.

aye, exactly, it is a company after all :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Don't you need math for science?

And wouldn't this down time be a wonderful opportunity to read a good book, call a family member and/or friend to just say hi, go see that new movie you've been dying to see, etc? Just saying.

Not all elements of science need math, but I see your point.
    I'm getting some files rendered as we speak on my PC, but while that percentage ticks over I re-check the forum!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

• Options
    hoovergkmmchoovergkmmc Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited June 2013

It's a numbers game, and I'm sure the suits know the risk of a (relatively) few players vs. the risks of exposing everyone to rolling maintenance windows.

The best solution, as many have suggested, isn't to roll the maintenance windows, but to set up servers serving different geographic region, so that the maintenance in each region could be done in a time that minimizes impact.

But there's a problem with that as well. If you ever played WoW, then you know about the downsides to segregated realms. If you want to play with your friends, then they all have to be on the same server. And when that happens, when that server goes down for maintenance, then everyone on it is affected, no matter what time zone they are in. And even if they do that, then there will still be those who constantly get boned by maintenance even if they are playing in their time zone - for instance, I am one of the people in America who, due to work schedule, finds that maintenance is always during my "prime time." So there will still be the same whining, just perhaps less of a volume.

So in the long run, it is kind of a trade-off. Either we segregate out "the universe" like that, or we keep it combined and do maintenance at times of statistical lowest utilization. But I for one will not say that they need to rotate the windows - just because I am inconvenienced does not mean that I think they should do the maintenance at another time when there might be 5x as many other players trying to play. I'm just neither selfish or entitled enough to support that. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

So I subscribe to the Denis Leary philosophy of "Life sucks, get a f'ing helmet," and find something else to do (like play Forum Trek Online) and move on with life. It is, after all, just a game, and if it is down a couple hours per week when I want to play, it is hardly the end of the world...
  • Options
    socaljohnsocaljohn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey BranFlakes,
    Can the Tour of the Universe be push back to later in the morning? I was unable to play it this morning at 8:00 am Pacific. There seems to be a reoccurring conflict with the System Maintenance and Tour of the Universe.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Is this maintenance finished now? I am seeing server status green in the launcher.

is it the Hulk :D nope its not server is up yipppeeee
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited June 2013

yes it seems so , well for me anyways
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Removed a bunch of flaming, name-calling, and insults.

If I have to do that again, folks are getting referred to the Community Team for further action.

Please play nice, folks.

syberghost
    Volunteer Community Moderator
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Quantum Field Theory?

Hey where'd my quote go?!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

• Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Removed a bunch of flaming, name-calling, and insults.

If I have to do that again, folks are getting referred to the Community Team for further action.

Please play nice, folks.

syberghost
    Volunteer Community Moderator

Thank you, the air was filling with Warp Plasma.:D
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    robinsonfamilyrobinsonfamily Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Server light shows green.
This discussion has been closed.