test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

=.= community broken: Need or Greed system

jandraelunejandraelune Member Posts: 100 Arc User
Might as well be Greed or Pass as Need don't work. The over greedy just > Need < everything.

Those that are not greedy can only resort to Pass on everything with out falling to the same low.

Shouldn't we be striving to make things better...not join with the same failure?
Post edited by jandraelune on

Comments

• Options
    belthazorxbelthazorx Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well... mostly if I see something interesting I just click "need". For my thoughts it works pretty well as I normally end up with the item. So in my eyes "greed" doesn't surpasses Need..

Which I used before.. I think need works better than greed.

Better make it Need or Pass.:)
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is no point to the greed button.

You only cheat yourself out of an item, the button would work in premade guild teams where whether or not someone truly needs something is important.

In PUGs I always press need exactly because of what I said, someone will always press need whether they need it or not, thus the only way to have an equal chance is to press need as well.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    blafiblafi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Greed = bad mmkay.. :cool:

moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
    http://www.elitedefensestarfleet.com
  • Options
    mosquito214mosquito214 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I try to use Pass and Greed a lot in the hopes that it builds up karma for when something comes along I really want, to hit Need with.

It never works. I just end up almost never getting anything.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    in sto pugs unless you don't want any thing you always need
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    jandraelunejandraelune Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And we have people that instead of trying to fix the issue insist on joining with the problem.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jandraelune, I hope you are in every PUG I happen to join. :D
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Greed is for when you are in a team with your fleet or friends. Need is for pugs, why people choose to fight this or impose their own rules is asinine.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • Options
    x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As already said there is no need for the Greed option should just be Need and Pass but then again when i saw a player always click Greed and never really win it made me chuckle! :D (was happening last week)

Personally if there was a way to ignore greedy players in stfs and what not id be game for that, let the greedy's play with themselfs and the others need and pass. Suppose they could also code in some sore of punishment for those that always press greed where they build up a bad reputation with bad luck but it probably come out wrong knowing cryptic :rolleyes:
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Everybody does need everything, on both levels.

They need everything in practice, naturally.

But they also need everything in the sense that they can use it.

You would have a point if missions and dailies rewarded EC on top of their current rewards, but they don't. Cryptic has not supplied any way for people to earn EC in this game except selling loot. At all. That's why people need on everything -- all of that loot that drops just looks like EC to most people.

It's sad for people who could actually use some drops as upgrades, but the fact is that Cryptic neglected to supply players a way to actually reliably make EC, which means players are resorted to grabbing up whatever loot they can. When looking at the prices on the Exchange for some basic stuff (average of 3 million EC per Very Rare Mk XI Phaser Relay, for instance), people -- especially beginning players -- need a constant stream of EC that they aren't getting from anywhere else.

That's why people are aggressively hitting that Need button.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is no point to the greed button.

You only cheat yourself out of an item, the button would work in premade guild teams where whether or not someone truly needs something is important.

In PUGs I always press need exactly because of what I said, someone will always press need whether they need it or not, thus the only way to have an equal chance is to press need as well.

This. The only way to truly improve this system would be to implement individual loot drops for everyone (standard random chance per critter plus guaranteed boss drops).
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I try to use Pass and Greed a lot in the hopes that it builds up karma for when something comes along I really want, to hit Need with.

It never works. I just end up almost never getting anything.

This.

Ideally the number generator would take into account player behavior.
    Round 1:
    Player 1 Need
    Player 2 Greed
    Player 3 Pass

Round 2:
    Player 1 Need
    Player 2 Greed
    Player 3 Pass

Round 3:
    Player 1 Need
    Player 2 Greed
    Player 3 Need

Ideally, in Round 3 Player 3 should have the highest chance at receiving the item.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thratch1 wrote: »

You would have a point if missions and dailies rewarded EC on top of their current rewards, but they don't. Cryptic has not supplied any way for people to earn EC in this game except selling loot. At all. That's why people need on everything -- all of that loot that drops just looks like EC to most people.

It's sad for people who could actually use some drops as upgrades, but the fact is that Cryptic neglected to supply players a way to actually reliably make EC, which means players are resorted to grabbing up whatever loot they can. When looking at the prices on the Exchange for some basic stuff (average of 3 million EC per Very Rare Mk XI Phaser Relay, for instance), people -- especially beginning players -- need a constant stream of EC that they aren't getting from anywhere else.

this is basically the final answer to the topic..

there is some EC you can make by Tour the Universe but thats it. Given the prices for good doffs/items in general in the exchange means that everyone needs every single little credit they can get. Add starbases and rep projects who need you to buy loads of commodities. So basically i always use need and dont feel bad about it because i do need it.
    If there where other more effective ways to get EC other than the current way i would go for it but there isnt, so there you go.
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thratch1 wrote: »

Doffing.
    That's how I acquire EC, minerals, etc.

What I can't understand is the threads of people constantly hitting the dilithium refining limit. Granted, I have multiple alts, (yes I run other things besides doffing.) But even when I focus, I'm only over the limit for a day or 2.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In ye good olden days in WoW needing everything was grounds for being kicked from the team and together with the absence of communication or the exclusive use of emotes a way to identify gold farmers. One of the many things that gets lost if everything is automated.

I usually hit greed the first one or two times and watch what the others do. If there are people who need on every bit of TRIBBLE I do the same. No need to cheat myself.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    scrimpinionscrimpinion Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There's a simple solution to this: Need counts as TWO votes, but triggers an automatic Pass on the next roll. everything else is the same. either you want a chance at the loot, are willing to double the chances and skip the next one, or don't want more inventory litter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    durenasdurenas Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They could just raise the default threshold to purple, so you would only roll on purple things, and round-robin everything else.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i only need on items i know will pull in a good tidy sum in the short term like TRIBBLE deflectors, shields, engines and warp cores. the rest i just pass on. when im on ground i need on all the borg protection hypos and grenades. i have not seen anyone else use them in any stf i have ran since i started playing them. with my reman engineer i can take down borg mobs myself with all that plus trans bomb and chron mines, so im amazed how little i have seen these immuno hypos been used and see people getting turned into a borg..
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    blafiblafi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They should make those stupid white/green/blue drops drop for all players in the instance. Then just Roll/pass on the purple stuff.

"Back in the old days" a self regulatory system like need/greed/pass worked** but nowadays with the influx of the "casual gamer" it just doesn't work anymore.

**It's what "oldbie" gamers want you to believe, i for one remember the same discussions we're having here went on in "the good old days" as well.

moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
    http://www.elitedefensestarfleet.com
  • Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Need/Greed/Pas is a completely inane system and a stupid legacy of old MMOs.
    It should be abolished. Period. Loot needs to drop already assigned to individuals.

Until it changes I shall 'Need' everything without the slightest remorse.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    macfelly wrote: »
    Greed is for when you are in a team with your fleet or friends. Need is for pugs, why people choose to fight this or impose their own rules is asinine.

Me and my friends and fleet don't even bother with greed. What's the point?

Need on stuff you want, pass on stuff you don't.

The stuff people actually "need" that drops, pretty much never drops. I think I've seen maybe 5-10 items which it's possible for someone to legitimately need over the last 500 STFs. Small enough sample size to just ignore!

Everyone I run with just agrees need/pass before the game, much easier (I don't pug)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    topset wrote: »
    The stuff people actually "need" that drops, pretty much never drops. I think I've seen maybe 5-10 items which it's possible for someone to legitimately need over the last 500 STFs.
    This is the truth.

Nobody actually "Needs" anything that drops, so it's either Need if you want it, or Pass if you don't.

It actually works in Neverwinter where there are class items, and people regularly only Need stuff they can use and Greed things they can't.

In STO, there's no point - either everybody Greeds, or everybody Needs.
  • Options
    glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    Need/Greed/Pas is a completely inane system and a stupid legacy of old MMOs.
    It should be abolished. Period. Loot needs to drop already assigned to individuals.

Until it changes I shall 'Need' everything without the slightest remorse.

^^^^
    THIS!!

Having to click the need -vs- greed button is an pointless slowdown to gameplay.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    just bind Need to Spacebar and stop bothering with it,
    even the Elite channels need on everything by now. completely obsolete functionality with no real life purpose anymore.

No need to cry about it either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Actually Greed is broken,

if everyone presses need it will choose a random person,

but thats just what i think.
    --
    but to me the hole thing greed and need, needs to be removed
    and just have the hole system automatically randomly choose a
    person everytime someone picks up an item.

i wish i could set it on need auto, get tired of pressing need
    every 5 seconds during a battle. yes i press need,
    no point in pressing greed when everyone clicks need.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Might as well be Greed or Pass as Need don't work. The over greedy just > Need < everything.
    Everything that drops that way is vendor trash anyway.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And we have people that instead of trying to fix the issue insist on joining with the problem.

Trying to impose what you think others should do upon an online gaming community? You will find the same amount of success trying to herd cats.

Need or Greed is stupid, I agree. But the system needs to change. Players ain't gonna. There will always be "those guys".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Trying to impose what you think others should do upon an online gaming community? You will find the same amount of success trying to herd cats.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VsxiABZ5S9s/Tcko757nyAI/AAAAAAAABxY/Svrxx2tZ1nM/s1600/HerdingCats.jpg
  • Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And what's sad is that when Cryptic made City of Heroes they didn't use the Need/Greed/Pass system. Each character automatically made individual rolls for loot and it went right into their inventory.

Players never fought over drops, there was no d-baggery or animosity over people being greedy jerks.

To be fair, loot was drastically different in City of Heroes.

Plus, while the company name is the same, you have to wonder how many of the old CoH team is even still working at Cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]