test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Same old 135mb patch?

ceanlron1ceanlron1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
is it just me or is every patch exactly 135mb im kinda curious as to what kind of fixes can be in 135mbs...lol
Post edited by ceanlron1 on

Comments

• Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ceanlron1 wrote: »
    is it just me or is every patch exactly 135mb im kinda curious as to what kind of fixes can be in 135mbs...lol

Most likely protocols and version updates due to server side changes.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    alexrichardsalexrichards Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As has been said in multiple threads over several years, when it says patching xMB of data, that's the total size of the files being patched, not the size of the patch itself.

With these patches being for server stability I think it is safe to assume they are daily updates to the same sections of code blocks to try to increase performance.

Edit: Brain TRIBBLE 100 years?!? I must remember not to use my time machine so often
    Admiral Alex 'Grumpy Cat' Richards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What you looking @ Admiral?"
  • Options
    peilayrpeilayr Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whatever it is they are patching, it isn't working too well.

I've been disconnected from server 4 times since it came back up today.
  • Options
    lordhooklordhook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know why the patch daily. You get tired downloading it all day and so the amount of players in the server decreases, contributing to the stability of the server. I gave up entering the game.:mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrspam404mrspam404 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As has been said in multiple threads over several years, when it says patching xMB of data, that's the total size of the files being patched, not the size of the patch itself.

With these patches being for server stability I think it is safe to assume they are daily updates to the same sections of code blocks to try to increase performance.

Edit: Brain TRIBBLE 100 years?!? I must remember not to use my time machine so often

I don't know what you're getting at with your first statement. While you are correct, it does tells you right underneath the % patched the amount received for each patch. Today's was right about 100 mb's downloaded, 135 mb's patched. It's been basically the same all week....but anyways here is my take on the server stability patches and the non existing bug patches:

I think what most people are upset about, or what I'm upset about, is that they have to keep doing server stability patches almost everyday, sometimes taking the server down multiple times a day, for a week and a half almost after the expansion came out. And the server is no better still. All the while the game is FULL of bugs. Literally it has NUMEROUS(I'm using caps because when I say full and numerous, I mean exploding, overflowing, HUGE) bugs. Some being game breaking bugs. Many that were reported early on in beta testing on tribble. The fact these bugs are still here this far after the expansion came out is a complete joke.

There is no excuse for the way Cryptic has handled this launch, or even the time leading up to the launch. They were not done with it apparently, or not done to where it should have been released. It reminds me of the launch of this game years ago in a way. We'll just release it, cause it'll make us money/more money, even if its not ready, or in the case of the original launch of STO, far far far from ready, many would say half a game. We'll worry about bugs/server stability later on.

I've been complaining, and submitting tickets for three years now about broken Red Alerts now. Something as simple as having red alerts disappear when they're done/beaten/time up. Was this fixed yet? No. And that's just naming one bug I have found very annoying FOR YEARS now. Or does Cryptic think people like sitting at a loading screen to warp into one, have it be empty, then sit at another loading screen to warp back out to sector space? And if you want to do RA's you'll prob have this happen to you more than you actually get to fight in a RA. Much more. This particular bug doesn't really matter right now anyway, because now if you manage to find a Red Alert, when you beat it, you can't turn it in anyways!

Ce is bugged, mirror bugged, ra's bugged, some other pve's bugged, mission bugs, and LOL lets not forget the unable to delete mail. That last one baffles me that they haven't figured out how to let you delete mail, almost a week and a half after they introduced the bug. And while all these bugs have been going on, and the servers have been down a ton for stability maintenance, how many bug patches have we had? Its ok tho, because Cryptic said there will be a patch to fix them... Guess what Cryptic, I'm sick of waiting.

Oh well. People will only put up with so much TRIBBLE. More so from game companies, because they know they can get away with it. I think that most people can see what has happened here and can make up their own minds. You'll have the people that will defend this company no matter how bad they've screwed up. You'll also have people that complain about everything it seems. Myself lately I've been fitting into that second category.But I really like to think of myself as telling it like it is.

I would however like to tell Cryptic however I like the job they did with the actual content they released this time. The Romulan missions/story line I really enjoyed so far, at least the time I've actually been able to play it. What I don't enjoy is everything else. A server running like TRIBBLE, and a game full of bugs, with constant downtime to put on the same bandaid, over and over again.

I don't want compensation in game. I don't want people to say I'm whining because even tho I know they will anyway, I complain/whine, so Cryptic knows that I am not happy. Make a news post with an apology.... Give some insight into what you are actually working on, when a patch is to be expected....Give reasons for the game being in the state it currently is... Talk to your players, the truth will set you free. Fix your servers, fix our game. Then I'll give you some praise when you actually deserve it.

Wall 'O TXT over now. Move along please.... :eek:
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2013
    mrspam404 wrote: »
    There is no excuse for the way Cryptic has handled this launch, or even the time leading up to the launch. They were not done with it apparently, or not done to where it should have been released. It reminds me of the launch of this game years ago in a way. We'll just release it, cause it'll make us money/more money, even if its not ready, or in the case of the original launch of STO, far far far from ready, many would say half a game. We'll worry about bugs/server stability later on.

You've just described software development and roll-out techniques widely used since at least when Bill Gates grabbed a DOS and slapped MS in front of it.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You've just described software development and roll-out techniques widely used since at least when Bill Gates grabbed a DOS and slapped MS in front of it.
    Agreed. Launches get delayed only if the problems are bad enough to make it unusable.

This is not the case with LoR. The undeletable mail is really annoying, and yes, it needs fixed, but you can play anyways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg