test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What role do explosions play for you in the game?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
In the latest STOked (115), the moderator Chris stated that the explosions animations were "a critical component in the game".

Contrasted by this thread:, where many people agree with my notion that if our characters do not really die in this game, one could as well admit it openly and let the "death" turn into a "disabled" in pretty much the way the Defiant and the Enterprise in "Boldly they Rode" handle it.

Now, are there more people who find explosions of player ships "a critical component in the game""? Is the above thread maybe just a vocal minority of the forum community?

Currently, there are two explosions: One when you are killed, followed by another one when your warp core goes critical - before the second, there is still a recognizable hull - if "disabled" became the new "death", the first explosion could stay in place.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    sophlogimo wrote:
    In the latest STOked (115), the moderator Chris stated that the explosions animations were "a critical component in the game".

Since ship explosions can do massive damage... I'd call them a critical component.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I like to see my targets explode. I dun' care if there's no actual loss. The warp core explosion has also some tactical role, that adds a tiny bit more complexity to space battles.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Or you could have your ship disabled only in PvE (unless self-destruct is activated) with actual player ship explosions happening only in PvP. Enemy NPC ships should become disabled at very low health, with more incoming damage outrightly causing their destruction.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I like the idea of disabled, as opposed to being blown to bits and respawning somewhere else. Some one suggested that coming back online should be a mini game but that might be a bit much. We should respawn in place though.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I like the animations for the explosions ingame. Personaly, its one of the few pleasures that the KDF player has to enjoy in PvP.
    Why change the graphic or death mechanic is death is still irelevant ingame during play?
    Seems to be a choice of manpower needed to achieve that offers no difference other than the asthetic and would not change the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Roach wrote: »
    I like the animations for the explosions ingame. Personaly, its one of the few pleasures that the KDF player has to enjoy in PvP.
    Why change the graphic or death mechanic is death is still irelevant ingame during play?
    Seems to be a choice of manpower needed to achieve that offers no difference other than the asthetic and would not change the game.

I think it whould change the game, but it would'nt make it better. You can do much more Dmg when you and your team work together. That also means searching Positions near the Enemys when your Warp Core is near collaps.
    Also if you were spawning were you where Shot you could "die through the Levels in PvE" and thats not the meaning of "Break the Blockade".
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Roach wrote: »

The poeple in the other thread seem to mostly find it would improve the gameplay experience.

The manpower seems negligible, as they have already implemented such features for Boldy They Rode and for combat pets like the Oddy's saucer.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Recointer wrote:
    [...]
    Also if you were spawning were you where Shot you could "die through the Levels in PvE" and thats not the meaning of "Break the Blockade".

Well, as soon as you are back, you would have to hit evasive maneuvers plus burn a battery, accompanied by polarize hull if necessary, sure. But I don't see Disabling as a way to be blown up again and again, unless you insist to stay where you were and your enemies do so, too.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Since ship explosions can do massive damage... I'd call them a critical component.

There was this fine suggestion to have "Abandon Ship" still blow up and respawn you, for those who'd like to blow up... that could fill that role.

But it is interesting to see the differing opinions here that were almost entirely absent in that thread! :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think the explosions actually make you feel like you "died" in space.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    sophlogimo wrote:
    There was this fine suggestion to have "Abandon Ship" still blow up and respawn you, for those who'd like to blow up... that could fill that role.

Oh you meant player explosions? Getting disabled and having an option of blowing your ship up would be better then.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think the explosions actually make you feel like you "died" in space.

Is'nt that like it should be?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I am a fan of not being destroyed every time. I'd like to suffer massive damage and be taken out of a fight for a bit, sort of like the Enterprise in "WRATH OF KHAN" or even in the show Enterprise, when the Enterprise was adrift from the Xindi attack behind that moon.

Yeah, or like the ships at wolf 359, or in First Contact. etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The more explosions the better :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    You know what a disabled ship can do, is "drift" though space back to a small spawn point box. Anything other than "disappear" and "reappear" like new is better.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    any quick thinking tactical advantage like using your ship as a torpedo is helpful, earlier on i was fighting a borg cube by myself and at the time i was half useful, took it down to 9% hp with a dead shield quadrant, then it killed me and the explosion went off, took the cube a sphere and a probe with it when it exploded.

it also works if you time it right, you take out a negh'var and get some BOPs next to it and they go boom as well.

what role do they play? critical? nope, but more like opportunistic as the situation is more luck then anything else.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Considering that the suicide ram with warp core breach is SUPPOSED to be the biggest most nasty weapon of last resort in the Star Trek world; I think that these explosions are needed but should be dramatically scaled up, especially Abandon Ship.