test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic, Please stop with the maintenance all the time.

maxdragon77maxdragon77 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
Every time I play the servers are either down or about to come down. Also these absurd 3 and a half hour maintenance times are ridiculous. Especially when there's some tiny little patch that doesn't seem to change any of the real problems in the game right now.

Now if you were going to fix the auto-kicking from the high demand pve events due to UI not auto parting correct I would gladly understand, but you just say stability in announcements. News flash to Cryptic, server still lag terrible and come down every 5 or 6 hours. Thats not stable. Did you guys just take a vacation or something after LoR launch? I bet thats what happend cause we have gotten nada from you guys since.
Post edited by maxdragon77 on

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm suspecting the devs to TRY to fix the problems which, on the other hand, is only possible if the servers aren't live. So I guess you have to make up your mind: Do you want to play or do you want them to try and fix the game?

Honestly, people try to be a little polite here. Not everything the developers do is uncontested by the playerbase, there is appropriate critique across the board but there is also really unappropriate critique. And that's, for example, nagging about the developers DOING THEIR WORK...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    alexrichardsalexrichards Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about they don't do stability patches, don't patch code bugs and do nothing - then we'll be moaning because the server is crashing every time it gets back up?

On a serious note. Making bugs is easy (a typo here, and wrong number there, an incomplete call back here etc) - fixing them, not so much. Add to that, not all bugs are equal. Some are relatively easy to spot/easily fixable whilst others may take longer to find/fix/rejig. You've also got to remember that fixing one bug can cause other sections of code to do things that were not expected with the possible outcome being even more bugs to fix.

Am I slightly aggravated as a paying customer (read: subscriber) about these down times, yes. However, I know that they are a necessary evil and I am learning to live with them.
    Admiral Alex 'Grumpy Cat' Richards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What you looking @ Admiral?"
  • Options
    supremeheretic36supremeheretic36 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, please don't do maintenance so I can be server disconnected every 10 minutes! Maintenance baaaaad! :D
    Lifetime subber and former STO player from when it didn't suck.

Fed: Astarsha, level 60 tactical officer

KDF: K'tana level 54 tactical officer
  • Options
    tharrisxtharrisx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    _Each and every_ time I attempt to play STO since LoR was released to Holodeck, I find either:

- The game server is not running at all due to some "emergency maintenance" or another off-schedule "scheduled mainentance". This goes on for hours during the timeframe I am actually able to play the game. So that's a whole day lost from my perspective.

- I am able to logon and play for about 45-60 minutes before the server goes down and stays down for hours. Then the game stays down long enough that I can no longer wait for it to come back up. So, that's an hour of playable time for a whole day.

I purchased the Legacy Pack, and I've been a loyal STO lifetime player since the game first went live in 2010. I have never seen the game run so poorly as now. I have been able to play the game maybe SIX total hours since LoR hit Holodeck.

Is this what I paid for? Get it together, PWE. This is shameful. You are going to lose the majority of your players.

-tharrisx
  • Options
    kahless2001kahless2001 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some of you and your false entitlement...damn.

If you're wanting something to do I have some ironing that needs completing. I'll even give you an accolade for doing it.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind downtime. Downtime is neccessary.

But there's a bug list for LoR as long as my arm - some of which existed and were reported on Tribble - that have yet to be addressed.

Downtime that doesn't bother to address these issues is not neccessary.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some of you and your false entitlement...damn.

If you're wanting something to do I have some ironing that needs completing. I'll even give you an accolade for doing it.
    Not so fast, you can't fool us that easily. Confess, it's a chained acco to clean your entire place!
  • Options
    gemackgemack Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every time I play the servers are either down or about to come down. Also these absurd 3 and a half hour maintenance times are ridiculous. Especially when there's some tiny little patch that doesn't seem to change any of the real problems in the game right now.

Now if you were going to fix the auto-kicking from the high demand pve events due to UI not auto parting correct I would gladly understand, but you just say stability in announcements. News flash to Cryptic, server still lag terrible and come down every 5 or 6 hours. Thats not stable. Did you guys just take a vacation or something after LoR launch? I bet thats what happend cause we have gotten nada from you guys since.

Think about it.....HUGE update probably requires patching.

Nuff said
  • Options
    howtokhowtok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they need their daily maintenance parties it would be at least nice to remember that there are also paying non US Players in this game.
    At least 2 days a week the shutdowns should be scheduled so that non US Players are not affected, so a more non discriminating practice is highly recomended.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"
    :D

Maybe some of you guys can let them fix the game so everyone can play, eh ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Patch this morning, patch this day,
    Patch the game I say.
    Patch any time or all day.
    Patch, patch, patch - patch awaaaaay!

I'd rather have frequent patches with improvements and bug fixes, than wait a month or more while the game has severe issues.
  • Options
    maxdragon77maxdragon77 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, some delusional fanboys on here....

They told us today no patch and yet theres a patch when you log in. They say they are working on bugs, but they have been saying that stuff for years now. I am sure they will eventually fix it, but damit do you have to bring the server down for 3 ****ing hours just to put in a small patch. Some games with 1000s of servers can do it in 30 min to an hour tops. sure they have more people working, but this was their big launch. Their shot at getting back old members. They came back and they werent even close to ready for it as far as the servers go.

I love what they did. The contents great, but the service is bad. You cannot deny that the server are all the time coming down and then having 2 hour delays every time they do. I have yet for them to do a quick 15 to 20 min restart even when they say they are restarting. If you are truly not going to patch the game then restart them and turn them back on. You dont need 3 and a half hours to do it.
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OK it's obvious a lot of you don't get the OP's point.

One being the downtimes being excessive....sorry but they are and out of the norm.

Second that they dont appear to fix anything. Sorry but this is also true. They explicitly state as such. "maintenance for stability" is NOT - This was broke so we fixed it.

Personally I would be much happier if they would acknowledge the problems and simply say "we are aware and are working on it" instead of dead silence. I know they mentioned the mail issue over a week ago but I'm pretty sure they havent even mentioned the pve que problem.

This is coming from someone who is quite grateful for their efforts and the game in general. But something does appear to be wrong here....either they dont have the manpower to do the job correctly or they are focusing on issue's that 80% of the playerbase doesnt give a damn about.

Regardless more feedback about what exactly they are doing over there is in order.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"
    :D

Well a good point as the servershutdowns comply with only 13% of the world population atm.
    ;)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    waiting is the worst thing you can do to somebody who is expecting you to entertain him.

so yepp, server downtime is BAD and should not happen in a Perfect World.
    Server Downtime without a real Patch is even worse, because then no progress is made at all.

every time you read the line "thanks for your patience" you know there goes another hand full of people who just lost their patience with you and got sick of all the waiting, uninstalled the client and are GONE.

that doesn't apply to already invested players, but there are plenty of freepers that aren't as invested as most of us here on the forums are,
    if i get such a performance from any other game then i will try it maybe 2 maybe 3 days before i give up and uninstall it again.

It just boggles the mind that Cryptic after so many Seasons with the exact same server up server down shenanigans dance just doesn't get their stuff sorted out.

It also is bad PR if every time a new event or expansion or anything PR worthy comes out the servers crash and burn.

They are working so hard to make this game better and then they always stumble around when it goes live and these growing pains happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    every time you read the line "thanks for your patience" you know there goes another hand full of people who just lost their patience with you and got sick of all the waiting

Yeah, but those people are impatient kidults and are no great loss.
    <3
  • Options
    josegasparjosegaspar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting point one of the players made a little while ago... Since when did "Network maintenance" require a 135MB patch on my PC?

As to the OP, I won't complain about patching/rebooting/retooling. LoR is a huge addition to the game and I fully expected there to be fairly severe consequences.
  • Options
    imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yeah, please stop with the maintenance so we can play. I really want your servers to run non-stop without maintenance so they can fail and I won't be play for a very long time! :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    josegaspar wrote: »
    Interesting point one of the players made a little while ago... Since when did "Network maintenance" require a 135MB patch on my PC?

As to the OP, I won't complain about patching/rebooting/retooling. LoR is a huge addition to the game and I fully expected there to be fairly severe consequences.

I'm thinking database template. If they're messing with the DB structure on their end they'll need to update the game on our end.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    hellsheart70hellsheart70 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think that mant is a good thing just not every ****ing day GET YOUR S H I T 2 G E T H E R
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, please stop with the maintenance so we can play. I really want your servers to run non-stop without maintenance so they can fail and I won't be play for a very long time! :rolleyes:

Indeed, and why work on server stability issues, so instead we can submit borg invasion missions and delete email while the server is crashing..... I mean, really.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm thinking database template. If they're messing with the DB structure on their end they'll need to update the game on our end.

That would be a lot of stored procedure calls updated for that size of patch as we have no DB on the client side.

Cross my fingers anything positive will happen to ingame mail on todays patch.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    howtok wrote: »
    That would be a lot of stored procedure calls updated for that size of patch as we have no DB on the client side.

As we're only conducting network maintenance, there are no patch notes.

( insert 10 characters here )
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    todolocatodoloca Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Like many of you I hate to see the server down for maintenance, but is the only way to fix things, this not a regular expansion to the game, they change a lot of things is like playing a new game, well there are going to be bugs, for me if the server is down, there are other games to play or other things to do, the question is do you want to play a broken game I don't, do you have patience, that's the question, this is not the only good game to play you know, the thing is they know star trek has many fans that will take all the TRIBBLE in the world, and keep taking it till is fix, I really don't care how long it takes to fix as long as they fix it.
    Is not a perfect world after all.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

<shrug>
    I dunno whats in those piggs and hoggs, maybe the patchserver is confused and keeps throwing us all the same patch we got Saturday. At least the hour it takes me to d/l 135 Mb gives me time to eat and play with dogs.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If it were up to me, I'd have them take the game offline for a week or two so they could kill the infestation of bugs that litter the digital landscape of the game. If that generated nerdrage, so be it. It would allow some of the player base to catch up with life in general.

Let them have their times to at the very least "try" and fix the game. It seems like they break more things than they fix, that probably has a lot to do with the limited maintenance windows they have. So pick your poison, a game that takes a dump all the time, robbing you of play time, or servers going down all the time robbing you of playtime. Either way, you have to be patient. If you are an EU player, you have my sympathies as it cuts into prime hours for them.
  • Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Weekly maintenance is standard operating procedure for virtually every MMO I've ever played. But if you're game needs to be taken down every single day, or more than once every single day, you're doing it wrong. Plain and simple.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    <shrug>
    At least the hour it takes me to d/l 135 Mb gives me time to eat and play with dogs.

Just curious - how do you play the game with such a slow download? It took me less than a minute to download today's patch.
  • Options
    kisamogwaikisamogwai Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ...maybe we can talk them into giving everyone a few Zen for every hour that it's down....
    pretty sure they can afford it...
  • Options
    kregorkregor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they need their daily maintenance parties it would be at least nice to remember that there are also paying non US Players in this game.
    At least 2 days a week the shutdowns should be scheduled so that non US Players are not affected, so a more non discriminating practice is highly recomended.

Not how that works.

Cryptic is based in California. So, all maintenance/downtime schedules revolve around the timezone they are in.

That's not "discriminatory" by any stretch. It's practical, plain and simple.

That is how it works. That is how it always will, and always should work.