test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Help Please..

OK, a few system specs before you tell me that it's just my computer or internet connection:

inet - 50MB down / 10MB up - Comcast Business class - this is NOT shared bandwidth

computer - i7 3770, nVidia 660ti, 16gigs ram

This is the ONLY game that I play that I am having such lag/low fps this game is 100% not playable.

What have I tried?

1) Changing shards to a lower population shard - as low as 4 other players still the same issue.

2) Changing graphics settings to lowest possible settings - still the same issue.

3) Checked the tracert to the servers, latency is about 120ms - still the same issue.

4) Uninstalled and reinstalled game - still the same issue.

5) Tried playing at different times of the day - still the same issue.

6) Turned of ALL additional applications running - still the same issue.

7) Moved the game to an SSD - still the same issue.

I've run out of things to try and resolve the extreme lag/low fps and when I say low I'm talking about 2-10fps.

Suggestions? Fixes?
Post edited by natayalov on

Comments

• Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am 10 down / 2 up with 10 gigs of RAM, and I don't have FPS issues unless I fly through plasma fire or detailed gaseous environments (like the end of the Klingon Scout Force).

FPS issues are always on your end. You can have high FPS and still be lagging and rubber-banding everywhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    natayalovnatayalov Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thratch1 wrote: »
    I am 10 down / 2 up with 10 gigs of RAM, and I don't have FPS issues unless I fly through plasma fire or detailed gaseous environments (like the end of the Klingon Scout Force).

FPS issues are always on your end. You can have high FPS and still be lagging and rubber-banding everywhere.

I find it very hard to believe that it is some how my computer or my internet connection. I play World of ********, Rift, Diablo 3, Star Wars: ToR, World of Tanks, TF 2 and NONE of these games do I experience any LOW FPS or LAG systems, none zip zero lag or fps.

So to just say, "it's always you" is nonsense and further more, just because YOU are not experiencing the problem doesn't mean that others could be.

Thank you for trolling my post...
  • Options
    qoojoqoojo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps look into sound issues. Also, I would uninstall video drivers, then use a cleaner program to wipe all video drivers from the computer, Re-install the latest.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But if the OP did that and it worked it would mean the problem was in fact on his end and from his previous post he doesn't want to consider that.

The issue isn't a sound driver and the sound driver isn't going to cause 1 game to have 2-10 frames per second. Moreover, if it WAS a sound driver problem, a reinstall, which I have done should resolve the issue. The issue is still persistent.

Lastly, I am using the most current nVidia driver for the 660ti and this install of Windows 7 Ultimate is less than 3 weeks old. As I stated, I play many other MMOs and have ZERO NONE NADDA ZIP FPS/LAG issues.

There is something else going on and I am not sure what it is.
  • Options
    srafaoraspsrafaorasp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this may be a stupid question

but are you having lag, or are you just seeing the FPS number as unacceptable?
  • Options
    qoojoqoojo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am sorry but I have to laugh at people that ask for help then belittle everyone that gives them sensible advice. Sorry, it is on your end. You have a driver or hardware conflict due to how the game uses some driver. Sound most certainly can cause problems like low FPS. Since this is nvidia, physx might be playing a part as well.

But you have it all figured out, so good luck with that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    khanstruewrathkhanstruewrath Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    natayalov wrote: »
    OK, a few system specs before you tell me that it's just my computer or internet connection:

inet - 50MB down / 10MB up - Comcast Business class - this is NOT shared bandwidth

computer - i7 3770, nVidia 660ti, 16gigs ram

This is the ONLY game that I play that I am having such lag/low fps this game is 100% not playable.

What have I tried?

1) Changing shards to a lower population shard - as low as 4 other players still the same issue.

2) Changing graphics settings to lowest possible settings - still the same issue.

3) Checked the tracert to the servers, latency is about 120ms - still the same issue.

4) Uninstalled and reinstalled game - still the same issue.

5) Tried playing at different times of the day - still the same issue.

6) Turned of ALL additional applications running - still the same issue.

7) Moved the game to an SSD - still the same issue.

I've run out of things to try and resolve the extreme lag/low fps and when I say low I'm talking about 2-10fps.

Suggestions? Fixes?

well its quite obvious, your drivers are not compatible with the game, update them.
    Romulus burned, untold billions died.
    It's the Tal'shiars doing, Sela lied.
    Vengeance is born, with eternal scorn.
    New Romulus rises.
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find it very hard to believe that it is some how my computer or my internet connection. I play World of ********, Rift, Diablo 3, Star Wars: ToR, World of Tanks, TF 2 and NONE of these games do I experience any LOW FPS or LAG systems, none zip zero lag or fps.

So to just say, "it's always you" is nonsense and further more, just because YOU are not experiencing the problem doesn't mean that others could be.

That you called me a troll says to me you have no idea what a low FPS means.

Your computer is what determines what your FPS is. Not your internet connection, not the game's server. Your graphics card and your memory are the chief components in a high FPS.

Admittedly, the game's client can also affect your FPS, as STO is a rather sloppily-coded game (I run extremely high temperatures on my GPU playing STO, about 20 degrees hotter than games like Skyrim or Arkham City). However, low FPS does not seem to be a prevalent issue among the majority of players, meaning it's likely not an issue with the game client affecting your FPS, but how that client is interacting with your drivers.

As Khanstruewrath said, you need to make sure your drivers are updated. And don't go looking for help with a bad attitude like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xsharpexxsharpex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    whelp, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. in your chat screen type the following commands:

/showfps 1
    /netgraph 1

then take a screenshot

/screenshot_ui_jpg screen

finally, find your screenshot in your live folder (star trek online/live/screenshots) and upload it to a site like imgur

lastly, post the link here and we can better diagnose whether your problems are really fps related or ping/internet related.
  • Options
    gibsonunderscoregibsonunderscore Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Pentium 4 630 (3.0GHz)
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
    nVidia GeForce 8400 GS
    1920x1980 resolution
    (Half resolution enabled, moderate settings)

At best, I can get 50 FPS, at worst (ground, high population location like ESD or Starfleet Academy) it can get down to 8, which is still playable for me.

As for lag, my connection is 25up/10down. I encounter little to no lag on a typical day.

There may be an issue between your drivers and the software. How long has it been since you installed your copy of STO?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pentium 4 630 (3.0GHz)
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
    nVidia GeForce 8400 GS
    1920x1980 resolution
    (Half resolution enabled, moderate settings)

At best, I can get 50 FPS, at worst (ground, high population location like ESD or Starfleet Academy) it can get down to 8, which is still playable for me.

As for lag, my connection is 25up/10down. I encounter little to no lag on a typical day.

There may be an issue between your drivers and the software. How long has it been since you installed your copy of STO?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2736106835.png -- This is the most recent, 1:00am 5/28/2013 speed test of my internet connection. So that's not an issue.

I uninstalled and reinstalled STO tonight.

After running showfps and netgraph - the latency between me and the game is fluctuating between 300-900ms.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
    DirectX version: 11.0
    GPU processor: GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    Driver version: 314.22

I have no anti-virus/malware/downloads/updates or any other application running in the background other than what's needed to keep the OS running.

The machine itself is an i7 3770 w/ 16gigs of ram. The current gpu temp is 33C.

Tracert shows 12hops to 208.95.184.57 with a 70ms.

So I am puzzled as to what's going on. Every single game setting is at its lowest.

I should also note that I have a level 50 toon and played this game a LOT until a few months ago. I just downloaded it again after doing a clean install and this lag TRIBBLE started. I never had problems previously.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    it's not your internet per se, but your connection in general. the only thing that i can think of that could alleviate your problem its to check and see if your router its blocking any ports, to make sure windows fie wall is allowing full access to sto and its launcher and that you try using the proxy (us) in the options on top of the desktop launcher. hopefully one of the there will do it for you. keep us updated.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xsharpex wrote: »
    it's not your internet per se, but your connection in general. the only thing that i can think of that could alleviate your problem its to check and see if your router its blocking any ports, to make sure windows fie wall is allowing full access to sto and its launcher and that you try using the proxy (us) in the options on top of the desktop launcher. hopefully one of the there will do it for you. keep us updated.

Windows firewall is off, the router isn't blocking any ports and I am checking the proxy setting now. I appreciate the suggestions but sadly they didn't work.. hrm..
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Would it make a difference moving from IP4 to IP6 with this game?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    what did your showfps state? it's in the opposite corner by the map. I'm pretty sure it's the connection that's rubberbanding you. your fps should be fine. green and 30-50ish fps
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xsharpex wrote: »
    what did your showfps state? it's in the opposite corner by the map. I'm pretty sure it's the connection that's rubberbanding you. your fps should be fine. green and 30-50ish fps

When I am at Earth Space Dock the fps is running 2-6 and obviously in red, the netgraph is floating between 350-700 with spikes well over 1200.

I did manage to get into space and it went up some but not much.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    well, this is a last shot for me. first, install nvidia's newest drivers for your card. make sure to get the x64 ones. it should be 320.18. if that doesn't work, then open the cmd program and in it do a ipconfig /flushdns. lastly go into your router and disable the firewall.

there should be no reason why your fps and your ping should be so low and so high respectively. best of luck.
  • Options
    grig2k13grig2k13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
    DirectX version: 11.0
    GPU processor: GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    Driver version: 314.22

I have no anti-virus/malware/downloads/updates or any other application running in the background other than what's needed to keep the OS running.

If your running OS version, then move the game or reinstall on D drive. This problem i had running both Champions Online and Star Trek Online on Win 8 OS version. Soon as i moved it to D drive had no problems running at Max settings.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I always run games on separate drives. I have downloaded and reinstalled the game several times, including installing and deinstalling from Steam.

So to recap what I've done -

I've deinstalled and reinstalled video drivers and am running the latest drivers. I've tried putting the game on several different drives. I've reset the router, there are NO firewalls running at all, there are NO additional programs of any kind running outside of what's required by Windows.

This is the ONLY mmo that I am experincing extreme lag with - games I play include - World of Tanks, Diablo 3, WoW, Rift, LoL, SC2, SWTOR - some of these games are known to be total TRIBBLE and run super fast on my computer.

From an internal network standpoint, I am connected directly to the router. There is nothing else within the network topology which could cause problems.

I have played this game as recently as a few months ago and have a level 50 toon, never have I had any lag issues.

I have set ALL the graphics settings to the lowest possible settings, turned off chat, muted all sound and still getting 2-15fps with pings 350-700 with spikes over 1200.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have set ALL the graphics settings to the lowest possible settings, turned off chat, muted all sound and still getting 2-15fps with pings 350-700 with spikes over 1200.
    Have you tried using a lower screen resolution?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Have you tried using a lower screen resolution?

Yes, the lowest possible resolution and still the extreme lag.

Now what's kind of interesting is this -

When moving from shards or moving from a base/plant into space - the initial fps goes waaay up but once the loading hits around 90ish? the lag starts and by 97+ it's bottomed out.
  • Options
    victorstellavictorstella Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm having the same problem. I'm not too proud to rule out my computer or internet connection, but I honestly don't think that's it because I've only had problems since LoR launched.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Maybe it has something to do with this latest patch. I have pretty much run out of things that could be causing the issue on my end. I really wanted to come back and play this game. Oh well, I'm glad I didn't buy a monthly sub again this time. I would be pissed off knowing I'd wasted the money.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This thread can be locked or closed. The emergency update/patch which was done today seems to have resolved the extreme lag that I was having.

And to the few who posted that it had to be MY computer and MY connection, lol, it was an issue with the game and servers which was fixed. So clearly your knowledge of networking and technical support needs work.