test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Just a friendly message to leavers.

abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
So while running an Azure Nebula this evening the group I was in had one leech, not a big deal, it happens. Well half way through the mission one of the other guys bails over one guy, leaving the rest of us high and dry. His parting message:

"Leechers may leech off somebody else, I'm out of here"

Well I just wanted to tell everyone who does this that you are just as bad as the leech. Now I can understand leaving if it was an elite stf and there where two or more leechers, which I have seen happen before, but an Azure Nebula? I mean come on suck it up and finish the mission, all you are doing is punishing yourself by leaving, the leecher doesn't care.

If it's one guy ignore him, maybe throw the GMs a report if you like, but just keep going.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    The right thing to do is for everyone to leave.

The even more right thing to do is get a private match together and not pug. You can use channels like PublicEliteSTF to get groups together for STFs and other content like fleet missions and azure etc.

You find a leech report in channel and ignore them then you never have to deal with them again.

This is one of the reasons we're not seeing as many good players in pugs for STF, they're all doing private matches due to the number of leechers and bad players. Mainly happened because they made them harder and continue to make them harder. It will spread to normal content soon because the leech problem isn't being addressed which is a real shame.

By the way I like the first line of your sig =D

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    kyias1kyias1 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I see lots of threads about leechers and to be honest I typically only see them in simple missiions like Azura, Fleet marks events and normal STF's.

I solely pug elite STF's and there are plenty of competent people who play them. Once in a while I will get a team that just doesn't belong there but on the whole leechers in elite STF's are MORE rare than people who rage quit over the slightest mistakes by people who are not as experienced.

Is leeching a problem? Sure it is but frankly I have not experienced it being so wide spread as I see talked about on the forums. The people who rage quit over 1 leecher in PUGS like Azure Nebula are far more damaging than that one leecher to the group.

Part of teamwork is overcoming obstacles when the mission is still possible. Unfortunately some players can not get over their own pride to make it happen.
  • Options
    horkathanehorkathane Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont mind leachers, some people cannot physically play this game at the LeeT of a Pro Gamer like myself (joke lol). All the controls, the N52, the mouse tweaks, the control setup its massive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Legendary Horka Thane
    1999 Tribes 1
    Infamous TurreNt Camp ( if you dont know you are not Legendary )
  • Options
    x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ive met two leechers in elite STF's the result was i ended up reporting both to there alliance leaders. I dont see why they think its ok just to sit there claiming rewards maybe the system needs to be thought out more if you dont participate you get nothing.
  • Options
    kasandarokasandaro Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, there's no reason ever to leave Azure. I can testify* that it is in fact soloable, for minimal rewards, in a not-perfect Armitage. Chasing the vault weavers means you might get the other cutscene, and you really probably don't want to muck around with the named tarantula, but it's doable. Trioed it last night with an orb weaver and two cruisers (one fed, one kdf).

* I am still to this day not sure how I entered with four other people and was solo by phase II.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On Azure Nebula you actually have more to gain by playing than sitting back...
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The ones I love are when youre the only DPS in the entire group, you carry the team as best you can, and miss the optional timer by just a few seconds.... and get blamed for it by someone in a cruiser ship obviously set up JUST to tank with no dps of their own. (of course talking about elite borg stfs here, but its in the same vein)

its like... dude shut up
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well... It's Cryptics fault really...

It makes perfect sense to leave a match where there are leaches in... Why?

Quite simply because there is no system in place, to reward only participation. No system to kick leeches, and no tool to exclude people you've ignored for the same reason (I know theres a common misconception out there, that Ignoring a person will prevent you from joining a match with them, but I've seen several instances where people I've ignored are in the same match as me).

As long as there is no "Reward for efford" as the best choice, kick for second best, I will continue to maintain my understanding for people who leave, because of leeches.

Just to clarify: I do not leave myself, but I understand and support those who do... Dislike me for it, but that is what I believe.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    thanks for lagging me out into a double post, failforums
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I personally only ever leave when there is no realistic way to finish the match in less than 20 minutes (or at all). Im not gonna sit in an STF for an hour watching the other four guys rack up injuries/damage while i try to solo donatras ship or the lance using borg unis
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Leaver" is the alternate spelling for "Leecher". One sits and lets all the others do the work. The other bails on the team because he gets his nose out of joint over something ridiculous. The end result is exactly the same. Everyone else on the team gets screwed out of the rewards they've worked for.

Wrote it. Mean it.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    hellzcatzbrhellzcatzbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why not make like SWTOR pvp? You may hate the game, but the system works so well because is really simple:

1. You have to leave the spawn zone in a certain time, if not,y ou get booted. In STO it can be just simple as moving a bit. As long as you "move", you would be free from the kick timer.

2. You can start a kicking vote that can be nullified if the player engages in combat. That is good for two reasons: A. Kicks people who is leeching and; B. Avoid people getting kicked by bullies (I?ve seen groups kicking people because they didn?t agree on NEED/GREED in a very arbitrary form, like keeping the loot just for the friends that got with them in the Ops/Dungeon/Raid, etc, I actually saw this happening in SWTOR and was one of the reasons I left for now, because there the system used in PVP is different from the one used in PVE).

3. You get replacements for leavers! If people select here "any" game, and you get a leaver, that person would instantly join your group. I "think" it already works here like that, but I?m not 100% sure how common it is. In SWTOR you have way more disconnects/leavers (which I think is common thing in PVP in general, in any game, and when I talk about STO here, I?m just speaking about PVE, I seldomly engane in PVP because people don?t PVP much here and I hate waiting).

I?m sorry for all the extra comments, but I think they make everything more clear. Summing up: Get a timer for spawn zone, if you don?t move, you get kicked; a team can initiate a kick timer, but it ends if the player engages in combat and finally, get players fast to replace leavers.
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would it be a solution to give absolutly nothing to leechers. So they get no items no dillitium no marks so absolutly nothing.

Damage done etc its logged, so if someone has low damage done they get nothing.
  • Options
    bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    totenmet wrote: »
    Would it be a solution to give absolutly nothing to leechers. So they get no items no dillitium no marks so absolutly nothing.

Damage done etc its logged, so if someone has low damage done they get nothing.
    Not a good system, as it punishes healers who may not do much damage at all.
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    PvP counts your healing, im sure a pve system could as well.
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not a good system, as it punishes healers who may not do much damage at all.

You've obviously not played CE recently, there is a system for that, not perfect but it definitely recognized basic activity. Iv'e seen pure heal boats place 1st
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What about people that leave say the fleet red alert due to lower level players joining?

I ask this because I do pugs for the fleet parks and 99% of them are fine but one I did not to long ago had 3 VA's (I was one), A Captain and a Lt commander, when we got to the second wave the other 2 VA's just left (rage quit imo) because it took a little longer than normal to take down the first wave. Now I stayed because you get fleet marks anyway. We managed to get to the final wave but did not beat it because we just didn't have the DPS required. If the other 2 had stayed we would have won easily..........

So in my honest opinion those two VA's that left are stupid, its not like Fleet red alert can go on forever because its timed! They had nothing to loose by staying but because they didn't want to carry the 2 lower levels a little they left.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    fcsp1910fcsp1910 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Been there, done that several times. And yes, I will continue to leave a match, when a leecher is present....mostly within the first 5 minutes But before I do that, I'll file a report with spot on evidence (screenshots from the perpetrator, hitting 'need' on everything) and encourage my team mates to do so as well. Not to forget adding the leecher to my ignore list. We already have a nice gallery of screenshots in an 'STO - Hall of Shame' thread on our fleet website

To paint me with the same brush with a leecher is definitely not appropriate.

THEY are ruin the game, letting others do the donkey work and grabbin the rewards - NOT ME!!!

And I honestly don't care about the leaver penalty...I have 4 other lvl 50 toons to do STF's, fleet actions, whatever...

It is my very good right to leave and report those guys and I'm determined to do so in the future. How do you think you'll ever address the problem properly to GM, if you don't report them?

If you need a nice & free screenshot tool: http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm
  • Options
    joker8mejoker8me Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I pretty much PUG ESTFs for the large part and can understand people wanting to leave due to AFK'ers. In my case (mostly) I choose not to because 1 less player means my odds of bagging a XII purp, 11 BNPs, etc. just went up.

In my viewpoint Cryptic/PWE could easily fix this by requiring a minimum amount of damage dealt out by each player in order to receive credit or rewards for mission completion. For instance, I don't see why they cannot install a minimum of like 200-250k DMG in an ESTF or the player will not get credited.

However, that is my opinion and for now the easiest route is to simply put the offending player on ignore so I am not matched with them again.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    The ones I love are when youre the only DPS in the entire group, you carry the team as best you can, and miss the optional timer by just a few seconds.... and get blamed for it by someone in a cruiser ship obviously set up JUST to tank with no dps of their own. (of course talking about elite borg stfs here, but its in the same vein)

its like... dude shut up

Yes...had that SOOOO many times. Once was in KASE in my Kumari with a mix of blue and normal phasers all buffed by phaser relays. The amount of harassment I got for being a "rainbow noob" was unbelievable. I then proceeded to knock out 2 transformers + cubes single handedly, massacre the gate and obliterate the spam from the other gate and enjoy optional. No apology, no thanks, no gg. Just added to someone's ignore list at the end probably.

Like I say no point in one person leaving as you're punishing the other players and you end up getting nothing but a leavers penalty. Get everyone to leave as it punishes the AFKer. Though most players are as chatty as my garden wall so that's not always an option.

Best solution, join a channel like PublicEliteSTF and join private matches. Bad players tend to get ignored so won't get invites but if you're decent (you don't need to be 1337) you'll have a blast and almost never worry about AFK farmers and leavers.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    zztopperszztoppers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    So while running an Azure Nebula this evening the group I was in had one leech, not a big deal, it happens. Well half way through the mission one of the other guys bails over one guy, leaving the rest of us high and dry. His parting message:

Well I just wanted to tell everyone who does this that you are just as bad as the leech. Now I can understand leaving if it was an elite stf and there where two or more leechers, which I have seen happen before, but an Azure Nebula? I mean come on suck it up and finish the mission, all you are doing is punishing yourself by leaving, the leecher doesn't care.

If it's one guy ignore him, maybe throw the GMs a report if you like, but just keep going.

I do agree with what you are saying. However I handle this is a different way. And it does depend on the circumstances also. When leechers are in my STFs. I send them private messages saying the mission is going to take an hour without your help etc. It also depends on the strength of the group. If the mission that normally even with a weak group might take 20 mins Now will take an hour or more. That is time I do not have. Rather than leech myself or risk a leaver penalty. I proactively say in open chat. We are short one person based on the strength of this group this mission will now take three times as long. I ask everyone to just let the thing fail. So we call al more onto something else.

I go into another Q a lot faster without a leaver penalty and probably a much better chance of getting the mission bonus as well!
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Simply award NO marks till the end
    so leavers get nothing

THEN award a small bonus for the person who gives the most healing
    the person who completes the most non combat goals

etc
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kasandaro wrote: »
    Honestly, there's no reason ever to leave Azure. I can testify* that it is in fact soloable, for minimal rewards, in a not-perfect Armitage. Chasing the vault weavers means you might get the other cutscene, and you really probably don't want to muck around with the named tarantula, but it's doable. Trioed it last night with an orb weaver and two cruisers (one fed, one kdf).

* I am still to this day not sure how I entered with four other people and was solo by phase II.

You're describing the Vault Ensnared, not Azure Nebula. Though you are correct, there's no reason to leave Azure either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To quote the LT in starship troopers

"I have one rule , everyone fights , no one quits"
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »

i saw someone in a shuttle pretending to afk, but i was having none of it and saw right through him without issue on klingon scout force as i was taking down groups of bops within 5 seconds. that player was flying a stalker fighter, by the time we cleared out the turrets and hit the battleships before the vo'quv needed to be destroyed, he promptly moved up his stalker fighter to the turret defense area and just sat there leeching.

in fairness i did give him a chance to stop jerking off and get into the fight but i guess he was more interested in making other work for something he had no right to. the team still did an alright job though 3rd in the overall...
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    The right thing to do is for everyone to leave.

The even more right thing to do is get a private match together and not pug. You can use channels like PublicEliteSTF to get groups together for STFs and other content like fleet missions and azure etc.

I really wish I could. I've got some stupid bug where I can't participate in private queues. It was fixed for about a week with /unhide but now it's back and nothing works. I've bugged it and asked for GM assistance to no avail.

It's all pugs for me sadly.
  • Options
    bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try to aggro a group of enemies, and lead them over to where the leech is parked. Then cloak. :D
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try to aggro a group of enemies, and lead them over to where the leech is parked. Then cloak. :D

Wouldn help... they just stay dead, and wait for the reward.

They aren't there to stay alive... they are there to get Dil and marks.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    vaewenvaewen Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Simply award NO marks till the end
    so people kicked by bugs or other problems WITH THE GAME get nothing

THEN award a small bonus for the person who gives the most healing
    the person who completes the most non combat goals

etc

There, I fixed it for you.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    To quote the LT in starship troopers

"I have one rule , everyone fights , no one quits"

"If you don't do you're job, I'll shoot you. Do you get me!?"

Imagine the fun we'd all have if this were possible :)