test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Launcher no longer works

So yeah, title kinda explains my problem. The Launcher for STO no longer works. Here's the nittle gritty on that problem with as much information as I can provide in hopes that the STO team might be able to figure out what they broke and fix it because I would kinda actually like to play the new legacy of Romulas. Perhaps even spend some money on it too.

So basically what happens is, I load the launcher. It popped up with that little window that says it's updating the launcher, downloaded a new launcher(I guess?) and then appeared to load normally. Put in my user name and password and hit log in. Then the launcher crashes, flashes the Cryptic error report dialog, but even that disappears after a moment, not even allowing me to write any kind of report for the team. Lather, rinse, repeat. Same thing, every time.

Now onto the fixes I've tried that don't work. I've tried the fix here thinking it might just be the launcher patcher being moronic. Does not fix the issue. I run the launcher exe, and it pops up the auto patcher box and downloads a different launcher that again crashes instantly after putting in my log-in details.

I've tried all the fixes listed here, none of which worked. Again, downloaded new launcher from the listed link, again the launcher auto patches itself to a different version(or whatever), and again crashes instantly after putting in my login details. Did the DNS flush, then re-downloaded the replacement launcher, same thing.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, and I've never had this problem before until just recently. Did it to me once when I was trying to log in to the tribble test server to test Legacy of Romulus, but for that downloading the replacement launcher worked and it allowed me to log in as normal and worked fine. Now even that won't work.

No, this is not yet another "I can't get past the log-in queue" or another "the game crashes on the Cryptic loading screen". This is a "My bloody launcher won't even get far enough to patch the damn game" post.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• goldentulipgoldentulip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, this is so frustrating...was really hoping I would find an answer to launcher update issue. Think after trying all possible solutions to no avail am not going to play the game until this is fixed, god knows when...
    fss_overall.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trexelcat#9733 trexelcat Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously? Nothing?
    Ok, this is so frustrating...was really hoping I would find an answer to launcher update issue. Think after trying all possible solutions to no avail am not going to play the game until this is fixed, god knows when...

You know, I think I found the answer to the launcher update issue. I believe it's been TRIBBLE and a fake launcher is being distributed.

Strange how I get a launcher that instantly crashes after I put in my login details and won't allow me to send a crash report, and mysteriously someone is trying to log into my account just now from a computer that isn't mine. Hmm, suspicious?
  • lunamariacelestlunamariacelest Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Launcher won't connect to patch server. It just hangs there and the Engage button never shows up.
    So I downloaded the link in the "Get latest STO Launcher here" thread. Thrice in different intervals yesterday
    Starting to think that the link isn't being updated at all. Now its even worse since the launcher won't even load the splash screen. Just attempts twice and gives a patcher error. Old problem that up till now is still around.

I used the gameclient.exe in the files. Sure, it starts the game but it can't connect to the Account Server at all.
  • enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was having the same game launcher crash problem every time a patch started. Was like that for 96 hours straight. But I think I accidentally found a solution!

I have 2 drives on my computer, C (original drive) and F (added drive). STO was on my F drive (it had more free space). I tried redoing the launcher there and nothing, just like other players had confirmed on the forums.

However, today I logged-on to this website to check the "MY ACCOUNT" tab at the top of the page. I saw two categories: PROFILE and BILLING. Under BILLING, I clicked "View All ZEN History". At the top, to the right of the red logo "PERFECT WORLD" are 5 tabs, with "DOWNLOAD" in the center (3rd of 5). I clicked it; various PWE games popped up and I selected "Star Trek Online". It wanted to save a file to my computer. Here's the trick: I saved it to C drive (the other drive) and ran it as if I was on my first day, since it was a new drive -- however, as I was logged-in to this forum, the STO computer appeared to recognize who I was and up came a working game launcher!!! I'm currently patching for the first time in FIVE DAYS (I'm at 36.9% at the moment) and will let you know if I can successfully log-in when the patch is finished!

I realize not all players have two different drives in their computer. See if you can somehow tweak my method and MAKE IT SO! (Sorry, I had to say it!)
  • firefox1afirefox1a Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I run on different drives, of course I also run through steam, and I have had no problems with patching and installing.
  • talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @OP has anything worked out for you yet?
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It worked! The patch completed and the I successfully logged-in, checked out 3 toons, the mailbox, bank, even changed a normal duty uniform to a fleet uniform. Works fine!

One more thing. My bypass did allow a successful game launcher patch. Once I started the game, Windows Firewall tried to block Star Trek Online, as if it had never seen it before; probably because of LoR. Just add it to your exceptions or, if a prompt comes up like it did for me, "unblock" it.

Happy gaming! ENGAGE!
    edited May 2013
    talzerotwo wrote: »
    @OP has anything worked out for you yet?

Nope. Though, after someone tried to log into my account who wasn't me I really haven't tried since the only way this person could have gotten my account info was through what I still suspect was a fake TRIBBLE launcher that was being distributed.

And if that's the case, I refuse to log into the launcher again until one of the higher-ups can confirm with 100% certainty that their launcher and launcher patching system is fixed and secure.

Perhaps Perfect World might want to think about a secondary patching system? Like from within the client itself? That way should issues with hackers and their launcher crop up in the future, people like me still have an alternate method to patch and play.

@enterprise1701ax
    Alternate drives are not my problem in this case as my game was installed on the C: drive, and I'm on a laptop making that the only drive I can install to.
  • talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was having the same game launcher crash problem every time a patch started. Was like that for 96 hours straight. But I think I accidentally found a solution!

I have 2 drives on my computer, C (original drive) and F (added drive). STO was on my F drive (it had more free space). I tried redoing the launcher there and nothing, just like other players had confirmed on the forums.

However, today I logged-on to this website to check the "MY ACCOUNT" tab at the top of the page. I saw two categories: PROFILE and BILLING. Under BILLING, I clicked "View All ZEN History". At the top, to the right of the red logo "PERFECT WORLD" are 5 tabs, with "DOWNLOAD" in the center (3rd of 5). I clicked it; various PWE games popped up and I selected "Star Trek Online". It wanted to save a file to my computer. Here's the trick: I saved it to C drive (the other drive) and ran it as if I was on my first day, since it was a new drive -- however, as I was logged-in to this forum, the STO computer appeared to recognize who I was and up came a working game launcher!!! I'm currently patching for the first time in FIVE DAYS (I'm at 36.9% at the moment) and will let you know if I can successfully log-in when the patch is finished!

I realize not all players have two different drives in their computer. See if you can somehow tweak my method and MAKE IT SO! (Sorry, I had to say it!)

HOLY TRIBBLE! I think it -might- work for me too. It's patching again as if it hasnt patched before, will let you know when its done.
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
    edited May 2013
    glad it worked out for you guys :)
    I was pretty hopeful too last night as i tried the same thing and it did start patching, though somewhere along 800 mb the launcher window crashed and after restarting it, it won't start the download at all. Maybe I'll have better luck later when there aren't much players
  • dogofegyptdogofegypt Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Lunamariacelest, you should check what filesystem you are using on the drive where you try to install the updated game to. I've encountered problems with my PC because of a bins.hogg exceeding 4 Gb limit for a file in the FAT32 system. Tha launcher simply can't write to it anymore because of the limit. That is what, I believe, developers haven't thought of. That's quite unpleasant so I believe all who stick to FAT32 and experience same read/write issues when the file exceeds fs restrictions should all together address this problem to Cryptic for them to make an option of backward compatibility.
  • somebolloxsomebollox Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having a fairly similar situation to the OP

the launcher doesn't crash on clicking login
    but it doesn't do anything else either.
    never even makes it so far as attempting to connect to controller tracker.

i've watched the network connectivity a few times, and it looks like the launcher is attempting to communicate with accounts.crypticstudios.com, and getting no reply, thus no verification of username/password.
  • thesuvvthesuvv Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well as far as i can tell and have been trying all day its still more broken :(
    edited May 2013
    Le sigh~ launcher crashed again this time at around 75% download of a measly 3 GB patch. I usually get that done in an hour and a half or less. This time after 7 hours of waiting.

-_________-
    edited June 2013
    Fixed?

[]Yes []No
  • technocube0technocube0 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ok, so I am a mac user, I use wineskin to use star trek online. Everything is running fine, at first, I am able to lot in, and patch. But when I click "ENGAGE" the window either closes and nothing happens, or the window freezes and nothing happens. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
  • tcbromleytcbromley Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    talzerotwo wrote: »
    HOLY TRIBBLE! I think it -might- work for me too. It's patching again as if it hasnt patched before, will let you know when its done.

Mine worked for a while after 3 months of not working and then it had a major glich and crashed. I was so so devistated coz it would not run again. AFTER SEASON 8 WAS ON I HAVE BEEN HAVING THESE PROBLEMS!!! Please fix. Im getting pretty desperate now.
  • ngonorrheangonorrhea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thesuvv wrote: »
    well as far as i can tell and have been trying all day its still more broken :(

Agreed. I've been here for 1300+ days, and this is the first time i've actually EVER had problems with the game. It's doubly frustrating for me because the wife is letting me have a free gaming day, and i can't get the damn thing to get past the autolauncher update box.....