test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

who like the new HUD ground and in space?

sharonathenasharonathena Member Posts: 16 Arc User
i like the old layout HUD better. it remains me of old school star trek. i wish i can change the HUD back to the old style. that be a cool option. =D eh i can get used to it. =P
Post edited by sharonathena on

Comments

• ravenechosevenravenechoseven Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have you gone through the HUD options? I'm pretty sure there is one that is mostly the old style.
    Trekking online since January 2010!

7th Joint Task Force
    Third Reserve Flotilla
    House of Sigma
  • lostcosmonaut107lostcosmonaut107 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the new UI, I think it feels Trekkie without being dated and '80s-ish like a strict LCARS UI would have been (like in Bridge Commander, for instance).

Lifer since Closed Beta, never looked back.

Were you there when the Borg invaded the Alpha Quadrant and we all had an End-of-the-Universe party on Risa? :cool:
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I havent change my HUD but I'm not to keen on the fed one as it seems to stop me seeing which items I need or greed on and can only select what I want to do with it. When I get back on game some time tomorrow I'll change it to TNG LCARS
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sharonathenasharonathena Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i didn't get a chance to look at my options. since the game went down for maintenance again. =P
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't like it that much

There's too much black filler areas.
    Too many colours and borders everywhere. It's messy and distracting. I can't read my shield facing health at a glance anymore, that stupid border makes me think my shield health is at 100% all the time.

Too many colours!

It's also no longer possible to select a team mate's ship by clicking their party icon.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's going to take a bit of getting used to, but in general I like it better for my KDF captain. Haven't seen the Fed or Romulan sides yet.
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really love the new UI - it's just bad that you can't use different skins on different toons. At the moment you set one UI and stick with it for all of your characters, unless you stick with "default" which will give you the default for your faction.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have you gone through the HUD options? I'm pretty sure there is one that is mostly the old style.

Afraid that option isn't anything close to the Pre-LOR UI.

That "Classic" option is the same exact UI except it's a Dark Blue with no Red Alert (Klingons is Blood Red and Romulans a Dark Green).
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most people hate change, but I think once people really have some time to get used to it a lot of them will come around to liking it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Most people hate change, but I think once people really have some time to get used to it a lot of them will come around to liking it.

While that is true, there are people who genuinely find the new UI hard on the eyes.

Remember those other times they changed the Fonts? Some people found it easier, while some had horrible headaches trying to read.
    edited May 2013
    guilli88 wrote: »

Too many colours and borders everywhere. It's messy and distracting. I can't read my shield facing health at a glance anymore, that stupid border makes me think my shield health is at 100% all the time.

Too many colours!

It's also no longer possible to select a team mate's ship by clicking their party icon.

yeah true it make battles worse, since it hard to read the enemy shields. it can be distracting.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really like the changes, but I have also has plenty of time on tribble to get used to it.

the only thing i dont like is the starbase contribution page. it harder to see at a glance what projects need filling as all the colours are so similar.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The new UI is a vast improvement both visually and functionally.

I never want to see that awful old UI again.

Rest in pieces you awful ugly old UI.
  • tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guilli88 wrote: »

Too many colours!

This pretty much. Too much wasted space on various screens... just black space that never gets used for anything, and the columns are not adjustable.

The border and shield colours are also very confusing... I actually blew up 3 times during a stupid red alert (I usually never blow up). Some of that can obviously be the change, but the shield health thing is annoying because it's no longer obvious, and the GIANT PERCENTAGE NUMBER of your hull strength is actually less useful when watching it out of the corner of your eye than a filled/unfilled ship outline. And there are too many colours... why do each of the power bars need to be a different colour which then seems to change ALSO based on power level? Why are some hotbar actions blue tinted and others grey, yet the greyed out ones work when pressed?

Also... doff screen and other places... I understand that the doff's need to be coloured according to faction, but did it have to be on the border? Now there's a rainbow of 3 colours on each and every doff, making it hard to tell at a glance what quality it is. The faction of a doff is the least important and is ONLY relevant when trading them (i.e. on exchange) so that indicator should be minor at best.

Didnt have time to get much further into everything else, so that's just a quick look.
    I love the new UI. Tested it on Tribble before the closed beta when it got pushed to the server, yes it's a big change but it looks and feels so much more Trek. A million times better than the previous attempt, which worked granted but just looked so simple and bland. Reman colour palette in particular looks sweet. :)
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    I love the new UI. ... A million times better than the previous attempt, which worked granted but just looked so simple and bland. ...
    Funny... that was my first thought looking at the new UI... "simple and bland"...

-- Smoov
  • vermiskyvermisky Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I already miss the old one. Sorta had a Trek feel to it.
    Silest :: Sage Venomancer :: retired
    SamaraKnight :: Sage Seeker :: retired
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love it, I love it, I love it.
  • iceeaglexiceeaglex Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is terrible.

A way to change back to original would be great
    edited May 2013
    a option to change it back would be nice. the game will remain enjoyable to people who like the new style and old.
  • draogndraogn Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel the new ui is clunky, blocky, cluttered, and something that fisherprice might make.
    edited May 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    The new UI is a vast improvement both visually and functionally.

I never want to see that awful old UI again.

Rest in pieces you awful ugly old UI.

O.o i don't see how the old was bad. the new tray is nice. don't get used to it. the UI might go over another make over. hahahaa
  • karhaekarhae Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Too much wasted space on various screens... just black space that never gets used for anything, and the columns are not adjustable.

This is by far my biggest complaint so far. I hate the double-wide spacing -- especially in e-mails. Used to be able to see the last ~8 emails in a small window, but now you have to make mail full screen to see even half that many on your recent list. One person in another thread commented about being unable to delete 30 spam messages, but I think he really just had 10 that LOOK like 30 because of the ridiculous spacing. E-mails are not some kind of trailer park that needs space to put four broken down pickups on blocks between each mail!
    the GIANT PERCENTAGE NUMBER of your hull strength is actually less useful when watching it out of the corner of your eye than a filled/unfilled ship outline.

Most definitely, if the percentage number must appear here, it should not obscure the filled "bar graph" style display of hull health. Check any textbook on graphical design and you'll find that people read numeric information presented in simple graphs (like bar graphs) several times faster than the same information presented as printed numbers.

There are several other very useful changes, like the bold display of the selected enemy's name, showing the available commodities on the duty officer mission assignment screen (though I would have reversed the order to needed/available), and the faction color coding for duty officers (though I'll agree that they could have left more emphasis on the quality color coding); however I would give up all of the improvements just to get the old e-mail spacing back.
  • theomenntheomenn Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Too many colors, my screen is a rainbow. An option to use the old interface colors would be more then welcome.
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i absolutely HATE the new UI
    Playing 10 mins and I have a cracking headache.

I cant see anything, far too many colours, hard edges.. Doff/Starbase windows are totally FUBAR.

It is so ugly and I cant actually stand playing this.
    Please give us the option to choose the old scheme
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't like the new HUD. It is far too distracting and has some serious problems with clutter (yes, I know about arrangement editting, but you can't change some windows from filling the entire screen, or stop certain 'minor' menus from overriding and blocking more important ones).

I wouldn't mind as much if the 'classic' option actually gave you 'classic' color schemes, but they don't. They change one or two lines, and the rest are -still- ice cream colored items all over my HUD.

Sorry, but I don't understand why they broke something that was working fine. Or at least provide an option for players who didn't like the new HUD to reconfigure to the old style. The new HUD fails in the most important aspect of a HUD...not to get in the way of the person using it to perceive what is beyond it.

Give me the old HUD....PLEASE!! Or at least MAKE THE CLASSIC COLOR SCHEME A CLASSIC COLOR SCHEME!!
  • no1pipsterno1pipster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I cant see anything, far too many colours, hard edges.. Doff/Starbase windows are totally FUBAR.

+1 on this. My eyes do actually hurt, trying to focus is so difficult.
  • tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Played some more today, a lil bit, blah blah first world problems.

The shield indicator is a BIG problem... why put a great big outline outside of what your shields are actually running at? It looks like your shields are full when they are gone.

And all these colours... it's too much.

And all the wasted space. It's like... let's take LCARS - designed for touch, cross it with Win8 - a fail hybrid - and paste it into a game played with a mouse and keyboard.

It LOOKS pretty. And some of the changes *are* quite nice.

But for every fundamentally broken thing about the old UI that got "fixed", we got another fundamentally broken thing.

*edit* also, is it just me? Does the colour scheme not save per character?

I have made UI's for many games, and I'm a bit of a UI snob, so take that how you will. But there are so many newb mistakes in this UI it's... enh... like nothing was learned.

http://www.nngroup.com/ lots of free articles there.
    i didn't get a chance to look at my options. since the game went down for maintenance again. =P

Same here, but I'm thrilled at so much LCARS and the70's feel of the UI. xD
  • michaelsdstmichaelsdst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Same here. So tacky. The old one was far superior.
    GIVE US THE TYPHOON! Enough said...