test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

who like the new HUD ground and in space?

2»

Comments

• zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *raises hand*

love it !!!

it is FASTER
    it looks way more stylish + LCARS
    the old one was SLOW to the point of reducing framerate by half and was just an ugly one-colored eyesore.

the new one looks better for the most part it just needs a few tweaks here and there like making text better readable in some spots and the DOff system has weird colored borders all over the place.

color schemes still need to be selectable per character and the best thing ever would be if players could do their own color schemes and maybe even share them somehow.

all in all this is a good looking modern UI and i like it a lot more than the old one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trickster34trickster34 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I liked the old UI, and this one is growing on me.

One of the things I like about the new UI is that red alerts are more integrated into it.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I liked the old UI, and this one is growing on me, however I would like the ability to adjust the size of the mission tracker.

mission tracker?

try the F12 button, has only been there for the past 3 years.
    you can increase / decrease the size of most elements yourself

#KnowYourOptions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trickster34trickster34 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    mission tracker?

try the F12 button, has only been there for the past 3 years.
    you can increase / decrease the size of most elements yourself

#KnowYourOptions

Ahh thanks. I do use F12 when setting up as I dislike the standard layout of the UI, but didn't remember that I could resize in it.

But yeah thanks for the reminder.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Orignally I liked it, that it felt cleaner. But that feeling quickly went away when I realized I was having trouble reading it, because of all the colors. It was hard to find the powers in the tooltray and the the DOFF window is just terrible looking at.

And people say that the UI looks more LCARish, but I feel THIS is a more LCARish UI than what we got, and it's more functional the current UI by merging the health and weapon windows. Even better they could've given us a Klingon Themed UI as well.
  • michaelsdstmichaelsdst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The HUD is not bad, but the colour scheme is terrible. And the colourful new ability icons are truly ugly.
    GIVE US THE TYPHOON! Enough said...
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guilli88 wrote: »
    I don't like it that much

There's too much black filler areas.
    Too many colours and borders everywhere. It's messy and distracting. I can't read my shield facing health at a glance anymore, that stupid border makes me think my shield health is at 100% all the time.

Too many colours!

It's also no longer possible to select a team mate's ship by clicking their party icon.

This^

I seriously cant believe people like this high contrast, rainbow colored UI. Its distracting.
    Orignally I liked it, that it felt cleaner. But that feeling quickly went away when I realized I was having trouble reading it, because of all the colors. It was hard to find the powers in the tooltray and the the DOFF window is just terrible looking at.

And people say that the UI looks more LCARish, but I feel THIS is a more LCARish UI than what we got, and it's more functional the current UI by merging the health and weapon windows. Even better they could've given us a Klingon Themed UI as well.

Im sorry azurian but that UI looks even worse, the fact simply is, a LCARS UI isnt going to work with this kind of contrast and colors. At this point i'd pretty much want the old UI back, it was the least distracting from them all. The thing is, the UI itself isnt bad, but its too sharp and contrasty, and colored that its a distraction to the whole gameplay.

I can barely play with this UI now unless I want my eyeballs to pop out after a few days.
    They totally ruined the whole game as far as my opinion goes.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I didn't have a problem with the old HUD.

I am all about functionality though like I don't like the new character log-in because it's more demanding - I'd rather have a blank screen that doesn't take time to load.

Coloring the abilities on my bar well I know them all by heart, you don't have to tell me it's a sci or tac ability I am about to use.

Under this HUD I get a graphics error in text windows. All characters get this dark spot in the middle of their face.
    That, and additional loading time on the character selecting is basically what it is to me.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im sorry azurian but that UI looks even worse, the fact simply is, a LCARS UI isnt going to work with this kind of contrast and colors. At this point i'd pretty much want the old UI back, it was the least distracting from them all. The thing is, the UI itself isnt bad, but its too sharp and contrasty, and colored that its a distraction to the whole gameplay.

So, the UI is fine, just not the colors and contrast? Well, that can easily be fixed, compared to the new UI which is......colorful.
  • nscar1420nscar1420 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it sucks!!!!! the colors are so dull and to many multi colors on the lay out. I don't need my bridge officer buttons in different colors.

All I want them to do is add 1 more options STO Classic!!!!

Let me choose the option of going back to what we had 2 weeks ago
  • snowwolf8usnowwolf8u Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the color scheme is too colorful also BUT it might take time to get used to and then be fine. 1 thing for sure that I noticed is there is a change in my perception of what is wrong w/ my ship. So why am I not turning like I am supposed to. Looking over at the display like in the past for power levels to Engines I cannot tell if that is the problem BUT in the old UI I could tell right away. So something is not the same and would take getting someone on to do a test w/ like Target Engines to see the changes from powered to not powered. Though the simple look over now I have not been able to tell at a glance which immediately says there is a problem.

For combat, that is unsat and you want something that is really easy to see is affected.

People mentioning there is a way to get back to something that looking like the old UI I will do for both my 3 SF and KDF characters BUT will stick w/ the new UI on the Romulans.

Also, did like you guys moding the new log in w/ the more LCARS style rounded rectangles. Looks nice. Oh and the new Romulan theme music. Story has been good so far as well.

Snowwolf8u
    Time: 1759 P.S.T.
    Date: 130529
  • nscar1420nscar1420 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The new log in screen that shows your ship and officers is awesome!!!! I just really hate the new HUD for me I enjoy the game less because of it
  • tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    snowwolf8u wrote: »
    Looking over at the display like in the past for power levels to Engines I cannot tell if that is the problem BUT in the old UI I could tell right away. So something is not the same and would take getting someone on to do a test w/ like Target Engines to see the changes from powered to not powered. Though the simple look over now I have not been able to tell at a glance which immediately says there is a problem.

For combat, that is unsat and you want something that is really easy to see is affected.

This pretty much goes back to the TOO MANY COLOURS complaint voiced by so many. There's a reason why even modern rl hud's are still monochrome (well, there are many reasons.) But basically, with your glance or partial attention scenario, all the different colours become meaningless and you tune them out, so when one of them goes red it doesnt trigger anything in your mind.

Probelms with power levels, shields failing, hull damage, these events should stand out by being a different colour than the rest of the HUD. You trick on them more quickly and accurately when that happens. As things are, it's just a mess. (also the big thick outline AROUND the shields is a big w t f were they thinking moment...)