test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to Log In Due to Unknown Reasons (We're investigating this)

Comments

• masonphoenixmasonphoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having the "Login Failed for an unknown reason." But a friend that never played before just got in there fine she had no characters to load.:mad:
  • xsxbxelementalxsxbxelemental Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hey i pay to play i am giving them a lil cuz it is a big one and im super excited :D:D:D:D
  • daunknownadmindaunknownadmin Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    buddha1369 wrote: »
    Oddly enough, it was working fine until I was changing characters at exactly 4:47 and I got "Login Failed for Unknown Reason." Tried to log in 5 times, same message.

Clearly I logged out and the server couldn't handle the rejection.
    Same thing happened to me @ 6pm (EST) and after 20 minutes of "Login Failed for Unknown Reason." I think its time to dust off my XBox 360.
  • inertialdampersinertialdampers Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep, having the same problems here too. If you're getting a script window with "$ is undefined", this is a bad bit of jQuery (a JavaScript library) which seems to have got fubar-ed by the patch installer. You can bypass it by opening the STO .exe file directly (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online.exe), and I suspect going by what others have said that if you download the whole package again it will work just fine.

Problem is, once you get the program running it only gets as far as the Retrieving Characters screen, times out and kicks you back to a login page. Looks like their backend servers are just inundated for the moment. My advice is to try again tomorrow.

Bit of a poor showing Cryptic - you should have anticipated high demand and made sure you had sufficient capacity, and you certainly should have tested the patch deployment rather better. My guess is somebody was in a hurry to get this out of the door and wasn't paying attention to the programmers pleading for more time and/or resources. :(

Still, looking forward to playing the revamped game. From screenshots and description it looks like the creative team did one hell of a job. I hope they can iron the bugs out quickly so that we can all enjoy their vision. :cool:
  • hunterpdx1hunterpdx1 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At least I get a smile out of this fiasco. Thank you.
  • roswellgornakroswellgornak Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Got as far as the Tal Shiar attack and got booted.

Tried to log back in and got the "unable blah blah for unknown reason"

The "Un"s must be attacking the server
  • matthian1701matthian1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • gazillionbucksgazillionbucks Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm shocked! An MMO developer borked something up during an update? :eek:

That never happens! Damn you Cryptic, now I might actually have to spend time with my family! :mad:

Seriously, though, I'm sure they'll get it sorted out...eventually.
  • confessor1978confessor1978 Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    love the sponsors tags at the bottom nvidia the way its ment to be played.. and alienware - plays best on... speaks volumes haha.
  • hsm2k4hsm2k4 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You expect the game to run perfectly just a few hours after an entire expansion dropped? This has happened to every MMO ever. You're acting childish.

It doesn't happen on this scale with other MMO's. They prepare and deal with launches much better than this, I've never had these kind of issues with Blizzard. There have been server fails for the past month with this game, but of course people like you would rather resort to name calling over the internet instead of telling PW to upgrade their servers.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let me ask you this, does it come up with the message saying it's getting your character list, and then sits there for a few seconds longer than it should, and then get the failed login error?
    if so, I'm getting the same damn thing, and I think it's the game timing out.
    Affirmative, and there are multiple threads on it, and comments in the FAQ thread.

Hey Devs and official response thread for this issue would be nice.
    aidy1972uk wrote: »
    Same happening here.

Shortly after Creating a New Romulin Character, in middle of tutorial and the black skin flickering was driving me mental so I switched to DX9 and restarted game and now getting this error.

Looking at my Modem/Router lights, there's no activity while game is trying to log in.

Obviously my internet connection is working fine as I'm posting here.
    You're lucky, most of us can't even get to character select, let alone creation.
    and they wonder why not many are willing to pay to play this still. i bought the legacy pack but i cannot see spending 17 dollar a month to pay for constant crashes .
    The funny thing is that I know plenty of people who said they weren't gonna try to play til Thursday. This was foreseen.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • talktoomuch21talktoomuch21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too am having that same error. Can't log in.
  • mrlongfellowmrlongfellow Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is why I have Minecraft...
    tumblr_mgsb18cOD71qklviqo1_500.jpg
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Logged in about an hour and a half ago, no issues. Ran the tutorial just fine.

Then the lag and the server not responding issues started in.

Then I opened the bank, server not responding, get kicked to the log in screen. Go to log in, everything works just fine, until it gets to "Retrieving List of Characters"

Sits for 30 seconds or so, then "Login failed for unknown reason"

Back to log in screen.

Tried logging all the way out, no issues logging back in until the "Retrieving List of Characters".

Same issue as before.

Fix your stuff Cryptic. I mean a number of us called it that this would happen, but seriously, you didn't have to prove us right.
  • solvoksolvok Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Get to loading the Char. page then crashs
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kirkson2 wrote: »
    yes but i would not have a cryptic parachute :D

The Cryptic parachute with bold red letters saying, "FAIL" :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Took 4 hours to download both patches, I was able to log on (partially) but upon the game retrieving my list of characters I get a "Log on Failed for an unknown reason" message.
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You expect the game to run perfectly just a few hours after an entire expansion dropped? This has happened to every MMO ever. You're acting childish.

Is he still acting childish after the 10 server outages we got in the past couple of weeks, and horrible lag for weeks until this point on and still going?

Really? lol.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • banditkoval440banditkoval440 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hey i pay to play i am giving them a lil cuz it is a big one and im super excited :D:D:D:D

a big disappointment? we cant even play
  • valdane1valdane1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This sums up how I feel about when something says it crashed for an "unknown reason"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9WiWseSDBc
  • buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Am I drunk or is the planet at the login screen spinning?
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't know what all the fuss is about. It works fine for me. Little laggy, but fine.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • nafeasonto1nafeasonto1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am still unable to login.
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why is this issue not resolved yet?
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    same here , anything from cryptic on this issue yet ? . tribble works fine for me but not holodeck

The anoying part is that i'm waiting to play this for more than 6 hors... and still problems..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • paradise1killerparadise1killer Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Logged out 20 min ago to get more char slots, now login fails for unknown reason.

I bet they are on overload now and have a safety for servers
    Nova Core
    ParadiseKiller

House of Beautiful Orions
    Zeadonouse
    ToLate
  • bloodfrontbloodfront Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Apparently its being looked into:
    Star Trek Online ‏@trekonlinegame 1m
    Hi Captains. We're continuing to investigate the "login failed for unknown reason" error that some players are seeing at the login screen.

Not holding out much hope for a swift resolution.
  • therealnevostherealnevos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    annot login to STO after update says login failed!!

Wondering people have been having the same problem?? Cannot even get to my charaters!!

Anyone know how to repair this situation
  • vonwhiskeyvonwhiskey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same issue here. I'd like to assume it's just way to much user traffic at the moment, but even then I figure it should just toss me in a queue.
This discussion has been closed.