test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Into Darkness

thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
I just watched Star Trek into darkness today.

I was loaded down with all the bile and spite about how bad this movie was from this forum.

I also knew the entire plot and where the bad parts were.

IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE.

I have to say this has to be the best movie I have seen.

The only thing that equals it is the Original Star Wars movies.

I was even moved enough to display an emotion. Fortunately all emotions are gateway for me, quickly evolving into anger to feed my RAGE.

Now I just want to go to the CBS boardroom and stomp all their happy bits to jelly for thwarting JJ's plan.
Post edited by thlaylierah on

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So you liked it then:D
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes quite. :)
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have to admit they did throw a plot hole in. One that could be seen through quickly.

I actually figured he (Khan) was one of Khan's crew at first. I mean, come on, indvidaulity from the original movies.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I believe JJ is completely rewriting Star Trek from the point of view that everything he makes is now canon replacing all that has come before.

I am very excited about him continuing the 5 year mission.

As he exhausts all the TOS references, I believe he will begin to introduce Next Gen material as well.

Consuming and regenerating the franchise for a new generation.
  • Options
    guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All the stuff from before is still canon, it's just in a different timeline, like the mirror universe or the numerous alternate futures that TNG interacts with. Hence OldSpock.
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just watched Star Trek into darkness today.

I was loaded down with all the bile and spite about how bad this movie was from this forum.

I also knew the entire plot and where the bad parts were.

IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE.

I have to say this has to be the best movie I have seen.

I was even moved enough to display an emotion. Fortunately all emotions are gateway for me, quickly evolving into anger to feed my RAGE.

Now I just want to go to the CBS boardroom and stomp all their happy bits to jelly for thwarting JJ's plan.

I really enjoyed it as well. The naysayers can cry about it, but it was a fun 2.5 hours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    STID made lots of money, no surprise. However not only did it not meet studio expectations, it did not make as much as ST09.

?Solid? Domestic & ?Strong? International Open ? But Why Not Even Better?

I agree with Alt-Spock (post #24)... mainly because he is me. :P
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    OK I really LOL'd at this part:
    Wasn?t Carol Marcus a molecular biologist in the original Trek universe?

Yeah, I assume the career switch is Eric Bana?s fault.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    cptstewiecptstewie Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just got back from seeing it for a 2nd time. Movie was awesome once again!
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hilarious and accurate.
  • Options
    tinman56tinman56 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I loved it too, and I can't help but think of most nitpicks as just that, people looking for reasons to hate the movie and not caring that a lot of people actually liked it. I wouldn't mind if they just said "I don't like this movie. I have no reason for it, it's just not for me, it might be good but i'm very biased and jsut can't grow to like it." Then I'd understand and even agree that maybe it differs a lot from the source material in some ways, but with the excuses and flaming they're giving off, seeing only their point of view as correct and not realising it's opinion, NOT a hard fact that Abrams is "RUINING STAR TREK", it's hard to see any cohesive argument. I doubt if they looked back at the original series and beyond with the same critical eye as they judge the reboot with that they'd be much impressed either.

I thought the twists were pretty good- Kahn, as great as he was in this movie, wasn't even THE baddest guy in my opinion, even helping to take down the bigger bad, the admirial, the man who set everything in motion, and who only failed in his plan because Kirk took everyone's advice and thought responsibly for a change, and the meddling engineer saving everyone's skins.

Although one plot hole which did get to me was the firefight on the far side of the moon, and then all of a sudden dropping to earth when they lost engine power... yeah I can't defend that, but that's the only thing that bugs me.
    ===========
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah... Not the best signiture, but it's my first time using an advanced image editing program, so... woo!
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope you enjoy what JJ does to Star Wars! That's next on his list.
  • Options
    bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This has been the best thing I've read all day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I doubt if they looked back at the original series and beyond with the same critical eye as they judge the reboot with that they'd be much impressed either.

This is a Spocks Brain quality plot. That doesn't mean it can't be a fun movie to watch. But being a fun movie to watch doesn't mean it's good, either. Like Spocks Brain.
    <3
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just saw it for the first time today and for full disclosure, I was nursing a headache and tired from spending the previous two days driving from northern Virginia to Texas.

I'm not too sure I liked it. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I feel better but for now I'm glad I only spent $6 for the matinee showing.

It seemed like pandering to me. It was showing some promise plot wise until around halfway through which I suppose is when JJ got the offer to do the IP he really wanted and then just decided to slap an ending on it and switch the Kirk and Spock roles to claim some sort of originality over TWOK and TSFS.

All I can say is San Francisco looked an awful lot like Coruscant to me. And the insta-warp thing to and from anywhere in the known universe is killing me. I suppose now the Federation is the new Iconian Empire without even needing gates.

At the moment I like the first JJ Trek movie better except for the lens flare. I'm gonna go take a nap.

\end rant
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited May 2013
    Just got back from seeing it. A couple of ladies quite loudly gasped when John revealed his true nature. Couldn't help myself from smiling and wondering how they avoided the spoilers that are seemingly everywhere. I enjoyed it. If this goes down in history as only a popcorn flick, I'm fine with that. It is definitely better than #5 was, and in my opinion, than The Motion Picture was.

I noted the plot hole others have commented on here.

There were some suspensions of belief I thought might push it a little. Chief to me was how such a construction job and manipulation of events could be done with so many people and no one whistle blowing.

Also was the question of how a ship of hundreds only has 1 engineer fully capable of running the department and 1 science officer. That seemed odd. Slightly less odd was how certain crew members seemed quite adept at roles entirely out of their primary role. Carol seemed to be one of these, though it was more subtle than a certain bridge officer.

Why mask nearly all Klingons? Budget problems in the makeup department?

I'd finally note that the costume department must be taking notes from STO, because I saw at least 4 types of uniforms running around. (formal gray, classic work, blue on Admiral Marcus, and McCoy once in medical Navy whites.)

There were a few other points, but I'd still see it again.
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It is an amusing read. But hey, anytime someone wants to write a better script and pitch it to Paramount have at it. I and best of luck. It's always easy to criticize after the fact. As I said previously, it was a fun ride for 2.5 hours. Of course I don't get my undies all wadded up over something that is fiction to begin with so I was actually able to sit and enjoy it and not nitpick for everything it did wrong. Plus my kids are now really excited about Star Trek.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would rather stick needles in my eyes and cut off my man hood than watch this film
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    I would rather stick needles in my eyes and cut off my man hood than watch this film

Speaking of Game of Thrones ... howbout that Theon Greyjoy this season eh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pegasussgcpegasussgc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Speaking of Game of Thrones ... howbout that Theon Greyjoy this season eh?

I hate Theon's story line this season, complete waste of time that they could be spending on Daenarys, or anyone else for that matter.

Now back on topic...

I saw ST:ID at the midnight showing on release day and was absolutely floored at how good it was. I was pretty happy with Star Trek 2009, but ST:ID was significantly better IMO. Benedict Cumberbatch was great as usual (big Sherlock fan here).

!!SPOILERS!! There are a couple of plot holes such as, Spock interfering with a primitive culture's natural evolution by stopping the volcano from interrupting. If I'm not mistaken that in itself is a violation of the prime directive, yet Spock seemed on board to do it (out of character IMO) but was worried about the natives seeing the ship. He already violated the prime directive, whats the difference. Also it was pretty strange that they ended up so close to Earth in the final battle.

!!END OF SPOILERS!!
    I really hope JJ sticks around for more Star Trek movies and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Star Wars.
  • Options
    scizorfettscizorfett Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Good to know that you're opinion on the movie is so valuable, especially with never seeing it. Must be psychic. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not surprisingly, the dialogue completely glossed over Khan's supposed 20th-century origins. This was actually a smart move by the writers, as there's really no other way to avoid the big continuity dilemma inherent in casting Khan in a post-1990s Star Trek movie (i.e. after the time frame of the Eugenics Wars).

This would be like TOS having an episode that presented an altered pre-1966 Earth history as part of the "correct" series timeline - it undermines Gene Roddenberry's notion that Star Trek represents a possible future for humanity. After all, why would any audience accept it as a possible future if it's tied to what, from the audience's perspective, is a bogus past? (Most of us remember the 1990s, and that there was no real-life dude named Khan Noonien Singh, much less a genetically engineered one, involved in that decade's history.)
  • Options
    lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not surprisingly, the dialogue completely glossed over Khan's supposed 20th-century origins. This was actually a smart move by the writers, as there's really no other way to avoid the big continuity dilemma inherent in casting Khan in a post-1990s Star Trek movie (i.e. after the time frame of the Eugenics Wars).

This would be like TOS having an episode that presented an altered pre-1966 Earth history as part of the "correct" series timeline - it undermines Gene Roddenberry's notion that Star Trek represents a possible future for humanity. After all, why would any audience accept it as a possible future if it's tied to what, from the audience's perspective, is a bogus past? (Most of us remember the 1990s, and that there was no real-life dude named Khan Noonien Singh, much less a genetically engineered one, involved in that decade's history.)

Aside from one of the novels making a reasonably good attempt to reconcile the concept of the Eugenics Wars with RL history, isn't it generally accepted that Star Trek as a whole takes place in an alternate universe just as a way to get everything to mesh? (Aside from VOY's attempts to pretend it never happened).
    yjIzVE9.png
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would rather...cut off my man hood...
    I don't even wanna know WTF this means.

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I think threatening to castrate yourself over a gorram movie is taking things a bit too far.
    yjIzVE9.png
  • Options
    spektre12spektre12 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I liked the film actually. I loved the warp core. That thing actually looked like a complex machine that could work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]