test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Request for male costume- no sexism

xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
Others have voiced for this already in a heated thread discussing sexism on STO. This is not about sexism, I've said all I'm going to say about the subject there already and let's not have any of it here. This is simply a request to give male characters a casual beachwear outfit option. As pointed out already elsewhere, female characters have it and some males already use swimwear shorts on Risa, but male characters are unable to currently customize it for themselves. Summer is coming and with LoR being worked on, it's something that can perhaps be made available, please?

If you'd like to see the option available too, let's hear about it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This has been asked for a few times before and nothing ever came of it.

As a rule of thumb in MMOs (and probably many other things), half naked females = "ah dude awesome" and half naked males = "Omg what is this (insert derogatory name for homosexual male here) doodoo". (Political correctness FTW.)

Most guys have issues dealing with sexuality, that's why homosexual females are ok for them and males aren't but I digress... most gamers are predominately male who like pixels shaped to look like female parts and as the saying goes, sex sells.

Oh and, if not to do with sexism, why even mention it?:P

All of the above is my opinion.
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    Others have voiced for this already in a heated thread discussing sexism on STO. This is not about sexism, I've said all I'm going to say about the subject there already and let's not have any of it here. This is simply a request to give male characters a casual beachwear outfit option. As pointed out already elsewhere, female characters have it and some males already use swimwear shorts on Risa, but male characters are unable to currently customize it for themselves. Summer is coming and with LoR being worked on, it's something that can perhaps be made available, please?

The reason beachwear has not made it in game, is CBS does not want starfleet captains running around space in swimwear. it is unprofessional and doesn't work with the IP as it is established. Keep in mind the Orion outfits, while skimpy ARE canon. This is normal wear for them. Not saying it is good or bad, but the fact is that it is a typical for an Orion. Not so much for a Romulan/Klingon/Starfleet Captain. CBS has said (via dev quotes) that the only way they would allow beachwear is if it was restricted to Risa, or some equivalent (since KDF can't actually go to Risa).

Now, keep in mind, with the success of the Winter Event, Cryptic has stated they are interested in doing a summer event. It is possible they now have the tech to limit beachwear to appropriate locals and thus it will be introduced during said, as yet unconfirmed, Summer Event. Otherwise, the bottomline is, it is just not happening.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Full victorian swim wear

A diving suit

OR an option for hairy chests
    (waxed chests are a sign of emotional insecurity where im from )
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    OR an option for hairy chests
    (waxed chests are a sign of emotional insecurity where im from )

Does that include the women?? ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Depends which Island you come from
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Frank, "Dont look Ethel"
    Ethel, " My goodness!!! Looks like he's smuggling two eggs and a banana in a hankie..."
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not even just that I have been asking for the undershirtless option for males that females have even since the introduced them, the starfleet ones, the ferengi ones, as well as the cropped winter jackets...never an answer.

You can check all of the ask cryptics for a long time and there I am, they completely ignore the subject. I will admit a little bone here and there, with the DS9 series and now with the Nimbus III bar, but isnt it bad enough that we cant wear the clothing we like in real life without fear of bodily harm? Atleast they could equalize it for a blasted game.

-Seacat
  • Options
    boootzboootz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want a man skirt so I can make a zap brannigan character and dispense some brannigan's justice, in strict accordance with brannigan's law.
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not even just that I have been asking for the undershirtless option for males that females have even since the introduced them, the starfleet ones, the ferengi ones, as well as the cropped winter jackets...never an answer.

-Seacat

You are never going to get one either. You are the only one that wants this pretty much, while most people don't want to see other male characters in game like this. It won't make them any money at all, and probably cost money.

If they are able to restrict it to beaches only then shirtless option is ok, but cropped male jackets is just silly, its silly enough on females as it is, defeats the purpose of a jacket.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Picard speedos I know you have them Cryptic I SAW THEM ON A GO GO DANCER on Nimbus!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At the very least, can we get a shirtless, open vest version of the Mercenary outfit?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    and please do not discriminate against remans
    Remans should have the same option to wear swim wear
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    You are never going to get one either. You are the only one that wants this pretty much, while most people don't want to see other male characters in game like this. It won't make them any money at all, and probably cost money.

If they are able to restrict it to beaches only then shirtless option is ok, but cropped male jackets is just silly, its silly enough on females as it is, defeats the purpose of a jacket.

While i agree the purpose of winter wear its to keep you warm, not expose your midrift, however in this game in not too bothered about the cold..

I would rather look good than nice and warm,

Male Costume equality!! D:
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

or at the very least make them Q's summer wonderland costume pieces from the festive shop
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    boootz wrote: »
    I want a man skirt so I can make a zap brannigan character and dispense some brannigan's justice, in strict accordance with brannigan's law.

a skant would be nice,
    and for people who cry canon..

It IS canon! :D (appeared in TNG)
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I suspect we won't see swimwear until they do a Risa Revamp.

I suspect they won't do a Risa revamp until they have some good story reason to do so.

Then it will be Picard'kini's for EVERYONE!
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Frank, "Dont look Ethel"
    Ethel, " My goodness!!! Looks like he's smuggling two eggs and a banana in a hankie..."

LOL of the day right here.

On those rare times I decided to make a KDF who wasn't a farmer (Like when I get this damned WINE working and the new content is on holodeck!)I always make a sexy shirtless Orion male in tight pants just so I can go around and hopefully offend some 'phobes.

CRYPTIC: I HAVE A WALLET FULL OF SKANT MONEY WAITING FOR YOU!
    <3
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited May 2013

To add to this, there are Male Speedo dancers in a Club in the Legacy of Romulus content.
  • Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    by foundrelic
    To add to this, there are Male Speedo dancers in a Club in the Legacy of Romulus content.

Yes, I noticed :)
    But still no option customizable :(
    And tbh, there is ALOT less interest to make male costume options than there is for female. One look at the at the C-Store proves it. There is not one, not two, but 3 exclusive costumes for females:

- Counselor Troi
    - Seven of Nine
    - T'Pol

That's all well and good, I'm glad females have those choices. But I'm sure there are players who would be glad to pay a little extra for some fancy male duds. I'm one of them. All the emphasis on female costuming attempts to force males to switch to female chars to look special, something I've refused to do. Does it make me feel left out of the RP scheme? Yes. Do I believe Cryptic would make more money by adding special male costumes to the C-Store and adding shorts to some male species tailor options? Absolutely. Do I think there are any special costumes that may be added for men? I don't just think so, I know there are. Though I couldn't find any examples online, I've watched the episodes and seen in TOS:

- Spock's Romulan robe
    - The Ceremonial red Kilt of Engineer Scotty
    - Several unique costumes of Kirk.

Plus many others of main male Star Trek characters in the later series. If you find an example online, are able to take a screenshot, or remember a cool male costume from the series or movies that could be adapted in game, feel free to share!
  • Options
    keysmachinekeysmachine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i want to take down borg in sunglasses and swim trunks!!
  • Options
    squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wish for my male Boffs to have access to the shirt/mini-skirt uniform. They could wear them in TNG, so I want them for STO.

If you're going to put in sultry, open-chested shirts and short skirts, I want them for my space dudes too. Fair is fair.
  • Options
    veotaxveotax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm still waiting for my god damn skant.

98w4dMd.jpg

Make it happen Cryptic!:mad:

I am 100% serious.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They'll get ten million dollars if they put skants in the C-store. I'm positive.
    <3
  • Options
    queetzqueetz Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The reason beachwear has not made it in game, is CBS does not want starfleet captains running around space in swimwear. it is unprofessional and doesn't work with the IP as it is established. Keep in mind the Orion outfits, while skimpy ARE canon. This is normal wear for them. Not saying it is good or bad, but the fact is that it is a typical for an Orion. Not so much for a Romulan/Klingon/Starfleet Captain. CBS has said (via dev quotes) that the only way they would allow beachwear is if it was restricted to Risa, or some equivalent (since KDF can't actually go to Risa).

I don't understand why for STO, there has to be a need to "restrict" the swimwear in Risa. There are many many MMOs out there that have summer events, including IP based ones, but they never had the requirement to restrict anything. I doubt this is a CBS issue either, there has been no proof of that, and given this is an issue I've been following since launch, I know it has more to do with the polarization of the issue both amongst the playerbase AND Cryptic staff.

And I believe this has little to do with skimpy women, as you can have "swimwear" for female characters today, via the mirror universe and TOS costumes (for a price of a few zen points). Its really the males that are being discriminated on, despite the fact that shirtless males have been an integral part of the Star Trek lore from TOS to the newest movie.

That said, I just want to point out that even MMOs that were initially hesitant to allow shirtless or skimpy males, has since changes their minds.

1) The Secret World: Recently has introduced an Egyptian and Arabian Knights costume for male characters

2) SWTOR: Aside from the Covert Energy Torso armour that went live when their F2P was launched, has since introduced the "Relaxed Jumpsuit" and "Relaxed Uniform" so male characters can show some more skin.

Also note that every other Cryptic game, from the original City of Heroes, to Champions, to the new Neverwinter, does allow males to be shirtless. So I honestly don't know why Star Trek Online is such an exception...

That said, I do hope an upcoming summer event would give us the opportunity to have "swimwear", and it should NOT be restricted. In the meantime, the workaround is get a male Orion (character or Boff), and just use the lightest shade possible. In most lighting conditions, they almost look...human. ;)
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The devs have said several times that as soon as they figure out to restrict costume options to specific zones Risa will be a beachwear planet for all the boys and girls of Starfleet. It is coming, maybe for a summer event this year.

I do want a Kilt costume option though.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    bialzybubbialzybub Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    The devs have said several times that as soon as they figure out to restrict costume options to specific zones Risa will be a beachwear planet for all the boys and girls of Starfleet. It is coming, maybe for a summer event this year.

I do want a Kilt costume option though.

Mr. Scott wore one in TOS, so I would also like to see it added to STO! On Earth the counties of Scotland, Ireland, Egypt (ancient) , and several Pacific Island counties also wore kilts!
  • Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you daft man?? A kilt is strictly formal wear. in fact, you cant get any more formal than a kilt.. You'd be walkin around ESB looking like a bloody overdressed scots popinjay..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • Options
    captainneicaptainnei Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is possible they now have the tech to limit beachwear to appropriate locals.

This would be enough for me. It just sucks to go to Risa and beam back up with sweat drenched uniform...
  • Options
    starboardnacellestarboardnacelle Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »

Clearly, you weren't around for the thread back in January, in which myself and many, many others lobbied for male characters to have undershirt-less open jackets and female undershirts. I'd like to be able to make a female character and use an open jacket without showing cleavage.
  • Options
    stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they can put characters in a jumpsuit for the Enterprise C mission, surely they can put characters in swimwear for Risa.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
This discussion has been closed.