Options

Request for male costume- no sexism

2»

Comments

• Options
    shapeywhelmshapeywhelm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    defalus wrote: »
    This has been asked for a few times before and nothing ever came of it.

As a rule of thumb in MMOs (and probably many other things), half naked females = "ah dude awesome" and half naked males = "Omg what is this (insert derogatory name for homosexual male here) doodoo". (Political correctness FTW.)

Most guys have issues dealing with sexuality, that's why homosexual females are ok for them and males aren't but I digress... most gamers are predominately male who like pixels shaped to look like female parts and as the saying goes, sex sells.

Oh and, if not to do with sexism, why even mention it?:P

All of the above is my opinion.

Half naked males you say?

http://i.imgur.com/PmjHYvo.png

and before anyone asks, this is the reman borg tactical officer, he has a few extra tailor options removing his borg pants/hips takes his pants off. (you can also take his boots off and he will have bare feet)
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and if they made the holodecks workable (we have all these holodecks around with nothing to do in them), could wear swimwear/casualwear in those too.

Why not go into a holodeck with your fleet members, fire up a beachy scene, and chill out with fruity drinks and sun while conducting the fleet meeting?

-- Smoov
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Frank, "Dont look Ethel"
    Ethel, " My goodness!!! Looks like he's smuggling two eggs and a banana in a hankie..."

Wow... That made me smile :D. I take it that's from some movie?? Either way, really funny quote. :D
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Given Cryptic have demonstrated new costume tech in some of the recent and new missions (where your character has costumes substituting or overlayed above your existing garb) I think we're more likely to see dynamic beachwear for characters beaming down to Risa, and hopefully only Risa.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a note to Cryptic:

You will sell me two CStore items, and convince me to start using male bridge officers on Starfleet characters, if you add two outfits to the game:

1. The Skant from The Next Generation, as a unisex option. Who wears short shorts? YOU wear short shorts.

2. Shirtless for men! Let my bridge officers kick it like Kirk. Starfleet officers take their shirts off for adventures all the time - it's canon!
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would personally never use this option as there are no place for hot man-scapped men onboard the ISS Hell Bore, but I'm not going to be offended if they have the art department take some time out to add it.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nadiezja wrote: »
    T1. The Skant from The Next Generation, as a unisex option. Who wears short shorts? YOU wear short shorts.

2. Shirtless for men! Let my bridge officers kick it like Kirk. Starfleet officers take their shirts off for adventures all the time - it's canon!

1. Everyone loves a skant.

2. I'd prefer ripped-at-the-shoulder if we're doing some Kirk fashions.
    <3
  • Options
    trwarbucktrwarbuck Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There has also been several STNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise episodes that Females and males have appeared in either bathing suits or their underwear. I don't think it has anything to do about CBS saying no or the Devs saying no. I think it has something to do about ratings. If you recall not to long ago there was some idiot who had a program that allowed him to view female character sin the nude. Plus graphics on a half dressed character calls for more graphic skins to be developed. And where do you draw the line at what is appropriate and what is not and to keep the rating of the game from going in to a different category.
    I think a lot of players chose Female Orion just to see her run around in a scantly clad outfit. Just be happy that they are coming out with a Summer event, maybe when they work around the issues of whatever is keeping them from releasing bathing suits, they will release them. I don't see why they don't release the Orion Female Slave out fit as a Clothing option package in the Zen store. Along with this package they could offer the bathing suit option for all factions.
  • Options
    starboardnacellestarboardnacelle Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The reason beachwear has not made it in game, is CBS does not want starfleet captains running around space in swimwear. it is unprofessional and doesn't work with the IP as it is established. Keep in mind the Orion outfits, while skimpy ARE canon. This is normal wear for them. Not saying it is good or bad, but the fact is that it is a typical for an Orion. Not so much for a Romulan/Klingon/Starfleet Captain. CBS has said (via dev quotes) that the only way they would allow beachwear is if it was restricted to Risa, or some equivalent (since KDF can't actually go to Risa).

So, let me get this straight...

As of 2387, Cryptic's change to the uniform code permits on-duty female Starfleet Officers to run around Spacedock, Starfleet Academy, and the Borg Unicomplex in mini-skirts and crop tops. They can open their jackets to show cleavage, and only cleavage. No undershirts allowed. This is perfectly fine, yet if these officers want to run around a beach or social instance in a one-piece bathing suit, it's totally out of the question?

I'm not even getting into the gender politics of Star Trek Online, with the blatant heteronormative sexual pandering in the disparity of costume options between men and women. In the context of what women can already wear on duty, their reasoning is incredibly stupid.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The reason beachwear has not made it in game, is CBS does not want starfleet captains running around space in swimwear. it is unprofessional and doesn't work with the IP as it is established. Keep in mind the Orion outfits, while skimpy ARE canon. This is normal wear for them. Not saying it is good or bad, but the fact is that it is a typical for an Orion. Not so much for a Romulan/Klingon/Starfleet Captain. CBS has said (via dev quotes) that the only way they would allow beachwear is if it was restricted to Risa, or some equivalent (since KDF can't actually go to Risa).

Now, keep in mind, with the success of the Winter Event, Cryptic has stated they are interested in doing a summer event. It is possible they now have the tech to limit beachwear to appropriate locals and thus it will be introduced during said, as yet unconfirmed, Summer Event. Otherwise, the bottomline is, it is just not happening.
    Cryptic doesn't give a hoot about the IP beyond lip service. On the subject of uniforms alone, do you really think having Wrath of Khan, Mirror Universe, TNG-era, TOS-era etc etc uniforms available at the same time anything close to IP-faithful?

We can recolor uniforms to be a wide array of colors that make no sense given the clothing option in question. White Wrath of Khan uniforms, for example.

For that matter, look at the Romulan faction's uniform selection. Hardly anything they have even remotely resembles anything from the shows, and their only canon uniform is from TOS-era. The Romulan uniforms are hilariously divorced from the IP, so any argument that restricting players from beachwear based on protecting the integrity of the IP is laughable.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its possible for male characters to use the formal clothing and turn themselves into the Joker from batman. :P
    Honestly don't see how some swimsuits can be any worse than that from an IP perspective.

Besides, we have seen crew in canon strolling down the corridors in casual and holodeck clothing before.... so yeah.

---post above is senatorvreenak's---

EDIT: Closed for necroing an old thread. Remember, if a thread has been inactive for 30 days, you should not post to it. Feel free to create a new thread on the subject if you would like to discuss further :) ~BranFlakes
This discussion has been closed.