test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Block Egpal in-game mail. (Please report as Spam, and file a GM ticket)

Comments

• Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have been seeing comments about this in game. However, so far, I have been lucky and not recieved a single one. Though I maybe tempting fate by saying that.

Anazonda you do not have to post your @name anywhere, everytime you speak it is there, it is posted ingame by Cryptic whenever one of the "Playerx@name has obtained ship y"announcements pops up in the middle of your screen. This means they are very easy to get. It is a false assumption to think people are posting it elsewhere.
    IMHO, in-game mailboxes should be locked until later into the game (level 10? 20?) So these goldfarmers would get tired of leveling up characters just to spam their e-mail advertisements.

I would never support such a thing, collective punishment is something I will always oppose. In this case piunishing all low level people for the behaviour of spammers is wrong. Add to that they wouldn't be here if people didn't buy from them.
  • Options
    aspheasphe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Won't work.

They are doing what they did with the earlier spam /tells. Hanging around crowded spots, targeting you then right-click. That lets you know your @handle.

The same goes with all those 'wait till X hours old' solutions. They just keep the accounts online until then. Doing the 'wait until Y level' will penalise certain players. Modifying this so that only accounts without any captains at a particular level or higher... another problem. After all, it's a F2P, do you really want to annoy potential customers? The same goes with blocking IP ranges and whatnot, that's frankly collective punishment and you'd be blocking some of your best/paying customers to boot.

I'm sure Cryptic can spend some more effort and time on this, but I don't see this being as big a problem as in the past. So in the meantime, try setting your Privacy options to only allow /tells from friends/fleet and see if that helps.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The fix that doesnt require anything from Cryptic is the option in Social->Privacy to only allow mail from friends/fleetmates
  • Options
    xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can we soon have a fix for these losers they are starting to get on my nerves.

Bad enough we had to deal with the in game chat now we have to deal with them spamming the in game mail system.

Getting really sick of these guys.:mad:

Egpal needs to get a life.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There's always the option of spamming them back in real life. Remember that time they spammed the Spam King back in real life, by signing him up for some actual mail? Maybe after they receive a few truckloads of snailmail spam in return...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There's always the option of spamming them back in real life. Remember that time they spammed the Spam King back in real life, by signing him up for some actual mail? Maybe after they receive a few truckloads of snailmail spam in return...

That, or scam the scammers. The funny part is, I never hear from them again after sending that reply... :D

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've been getting a lot of these spam mails, and what's disturbing is that they're not from randomly-named accounts like the ones that spam in Zone.

They're clearly originating from TRIBBLE accounts and we've heard nothing from Cryptic about measures being taken against that.
  • Options
    dr9999dr9999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The past few weeks I have been receiving gold seller spam through the in game mail system. Is there something more I can do to help remove these examples of human excrement from my beloved game? How did they even get my @handle to send me this tripe?
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    something need's to be done i have gotten 18 in the last 2 days
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    The quote below makes me think "investigate and take appropriate action" won't make a difference, though.

its why i report it as spam and leave it at that, if cryptic get around it thats their problem if they are serious about cleaning up the game from scammers.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i got a mail from same ppl this week dont no how there got to inox me when i was offline at the time i cheacked to see if there was in any of my fleets there were not.

reporting people does not seam to do any thing i got hate mail before and took screen shot and sent a report to GM with link to said screen shot.
    3 days after i got ticket back there were still in the game thats when i sent fleet leader link to screen shot there were removed from my fleet.
    in sto we have to police the game our selfs becuse GM is lacking.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rule one with spam, never reply to it. immediately click report spam.
    Spammers use a bot that goes through the user list on the social tab and sends out tells or mail, anyone who responds gets flagged as an active target. Even if you foolishly did reply it's unlikely there'd be a human reading it.
    Don't give in to curiosity, never go to vender websites, anyone offering gold or leveling services just wants to rip off your account info.

It's unfortunate that we do have players who are so pathetically lazy that they would use a gold vendors services, otherwise these parasites would have no reason to come here.
    It's equally unfortunate that we are literally at war with East Asian criminal elements, at least we are hoping they're criminals, who've been working full time at trying to steal personal and financial information from us lazy decadent capitalist pigs.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    krell83stokrell83sto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you get mail like this, please click the "report spam" button on the email, and please file a GM behavior ticket via the [?] on the minimap, including the @handle of who sent it, so we can investigate and take appropriate action.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Sorry, but Egpal has been Spamming in STO since Launch, what actions would you be able to take now that are different from those that already have not worked in the past?

"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    i got a mail from same ppl this week dont no how there got to inox me when i was offline at the time i cheacked to see if there was in any of my fleets there were not.

reporting people does not seam to do any thing i got hate mail before and took screen shot and sent a report to GM with link to said screen shot.
    3 days after i got ticket back there were still in the game thats when i sent fleet leader link to screen shot there were removed from my fleet.
    in sto we have to police the game our selfs becuse GM is lacking.

which means cryptics quality assurance and customer service is lacking, again not our problem. we should not be policing the game for them, they should be doing that themselves as its their game so they need to be the ones to pick up their own slack. as a customer my rights only go upto the point of playing the game and reporting on issues that violate ToS and such when they happen, not telling the staff how to do their job.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Often these characters are only made long enough to send a single message before being deleted again, so the frequency at which an account creates and deletes a new character should automatically flag that account as suspect. Too many of such changes in a short span and the account gets suspended and IP blocked.
    Given that egpal.com is the consistently offending party "egpal" should be a blocked word or given some kind a of special expression classification such that it simply won't appear in text messages. ie saying egpal in the content of a chat or game mail instantly silences the offender for 24 hours.

Unless a good automated protection system is going to be implemented it still comes down to relying on a human to actually investigate the matter and really do something about it. Right now that's a big "?", we can keep on reporting it, but we need somebody who has the power to do something, to actually do it.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone else getting alot of mailbox spam from Egpal, the gold sellers/spammers? I am finding at least two a day in my mailbox now.

I think its time the mail/chat system got an upgrade to filter out mail/chat messages that contain certain words or phrases related to gold spammers.

If this were to happen, the current "ignore" function might not be needed anymore and it could quell the "silence griefers" at the same time.
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    blznfun wrote: »
    Anyone else getting alot of mailbox spam from Egpal, the gold sellers/spammers? I am finding at least two a day in my mailbox now.

I think its time the mail/chat system got an upgrade to filter out mail/chat messages that contain certain words or phrases related to gold spammers.

If this were to happen, the current "ignore" function might not be needed anymore and it could quell the "silence griefers" at the same time.

That's what your"Report Spam" button is for. problem is, as STO is an F2P game; they just keep creating new accounts as fast as the reported ones get banned. Also, if the Devs create a filter; you can be sure these guys will find a way to bypass it. In the end, it's just easier to let the players use the in game report spam/ignore button as they see fit.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah it needs fixed. In the meantime, Social -> Privacy -> only accept mail from friends and fleetmates
  • Options
    blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah it needs fixed. In the meantime, Social -> Privacy -> only accept mail from friends and fleetmates

As the founder and fellow fleet leader of my fleet, this wouldn't be prudent, but it might have to be a must if I continue to get these kind of mails...
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whatsamatter? You no like free mail in free-2-play game where computer generate accounts faster than they can ever get banned? :eek:

It's NOT going to be fixed, edited, filtered or otherwise resolved. :(

You have to treat it just like you do snail mail, drop it in the trash.

Or you can always follow Cryptic's suggestion on how to deal with it - by reporting it as spam and submitting a GM ticket.
  • Options
    zix74itaelitezix74itaelite Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know if this is the right section to post this but here we go.

Today I've received two emails on my account mail and the content was this:

Come check out our amazing deals on EC, you'll even get 10% free on every order! We offer EC for as low as 10m (+10% free) for $4.99 and don't worry about quantity, with our stock of over 4 billion EC we guarantee to always have your order in stock!

Also, for a limited time you can recieve 5% off with the coupon code "egpal2013"!

Remeber, stop by [ul]www.EgPal.com[/rl] for all of your STO EC needs!

From This USER:

<do not put @handles on the forums -- report them in-game>

Lately I've been reading a few posts of people complaining their accounts had been TRIBBLE, I belive the two things are connected so beware!
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've gotten those as well. Report and delete.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    amurorx0amurorx0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm up to 40 of these frakkin things -.-
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Step 1 - Report
    Step 2 - Delete

Although, the downside to this seems to be my little ignore room is going to be flooded with handles I have no idea about.
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Although, the downside to this seems to be my little ignore room is going to be flooded with handles I have no idea about.

Better there than in your inbox. ;)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've noticed my inbox is getting a few of these on a daily basis now trying to flog me EC's. It's like being back in WoW and I haven't come across this sort of thing... well... ever in STO. Has anyone else noticed an increase?
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, my fleet have been talking about it.

Looks like they're not making much money at the moment and they are ramping up production.

Just report and ignore them!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would not be surprised if many of the accounts that were used to spam are player accounts already compromised. This way the hackers win twice, they can take their gold /EC /whatever back plus anything they can steal and also bait some new customers.
  • Options
    shrapne11shrapne11 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Back when the game was first released Gold Spammers were like cockroaches but Cryptic quickly got a handle on them and squashed them into extinction. At least that is what I thought.

over the past month or so egpal.com email spamming has restarted and is becoming quite a nuisance. Is it not possible for the developers to simply ban certain URL's or terms from the email system? If not that then something needs to be done to silence this nuisance.

On a side note I have never understood why anyone would need to buy ec in this game anyway. It is easy to get funds in this game without going to the gold spammers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bad side: I've started getting more of these lately. I hadn't really seen much gold spam since the game's launch.

Good side: It means the game is getting popular enough that the gold farmers are finding STO more attractive to find victims on. All the big successful games have some level of of this. Even in stuff like WoW, I still get them once in a while, despite Blizzard's best efforts.