test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We Need Ports to Forward

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
For our Wireless routers and what not. I am stuttering In game/ Bouncing around because my client is having a hard time talking to your server. It was non-existent in the Closed Beta... But now that there is more Traffic... It has become an Issue. If you could get back to us on this, It would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    There are no ports that need forwarding.
    edited January 2010
    Currently my firewall is set to only allow internal machines to connect to certain ports such as 80, 22, 443, etc... Can you list the ports that my internal machines need to make outgoing?

Thanks!

- Matt -
    edited January 2010
    Unless your router is configured to block packets other than on specific ports, code ranger is correct. If an application behind a NAT firewall (most routers) sends a request packet, the returning packet has the information on what app requested it and how it needs to get routed.

If you needed to open ports you simply wouldn't be connecting at all.

The rubber banding issues and probably disconnect issues are more related to server load balancing, the purpose of the open beta. This game runs on a room full of boxes. Right now the devs are trying to balance the load each of those boxes carries so it's consistant. Not an easy process. Give them some time to sort it out!
    edited January 2010
    For those who do block outgoing ports, so far I've had to open up
    outgoing (destination port)
    7255 (Launcher Update)
    7000-7005 (Authentication)
    7399 (Controller Tracker)

At the moment I'm down downloading the 2.5 Gig patch, so we'll see if I have to add more for game play.

**Update**
    I also had to open up the following ports for connections to the Game Server (in the order they logged on my firewall)

After I opened these up I was able to get in to Game Play
    If they're using a dynamic port range, I'm not sure this will work for everyone, but opening up the 7000-7500 range as suggested by PegasusMD looks like it should cover everything.
    edited January 2010
    I beleive the port used are 7000-7500. If yu need to open the prots and not forward them. If you use forwarding then only one computer on the home network would be able to connect to the game.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for looking into the issue for me. I can understand the server load and balacing. anyway good luck with the developmets of what looks to be my most favorite MMO out there. So far you guys are doing a great job and I wish to convey my thanks for this excellent game in the works. Keep it up! (insert a thumbs up here.)
    edited January 2010
    cheers for the info guys but how do i actually do this??

Cheers
    edited January 2010
    How do I open a range of ports using Vista?
    Thanks.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for posting up these ports, I've been able to get as far as character creation but I cannot connect to the Game Server, it says it's not responding. Which either means the servers are slow due to demand or I need to open different ports to get access. If it is an issue with ports, is there anyway I can find out which ports I need because my University's firewall configuration will not allow me to open 500 ports. (I can only open 99)

Thanks in advance.
    edited January 2010
    I am in exactly the same situation. Before I can contact my university network admins, I need a list of the exact ports that need to be opened.
    edited January 2010
    Don't have any port info for you but I can suggest trying to change your proxy setting in the STO launcher and see if that helps. I was unable to connect at all under US, had rubber banding galore under NONE and work well under EU.
    edited January 2010
    Cannonade wrote: »
    Thanks for posting up these ports, I've been able to get as far as character creation but I cannot connect to the Game Server, it says it's not responding. Which either means the servers are slow due to demand or I need to open different ports to get access. If it is an issue with ports, is there anyway I can find out which ports I need because my University's firewall configuration will not allow me to open 500 ports. (I can only open 99)

Thanks in advance.

The "server not responding" issue has been covered a million times, and is even stickied on the top of this section of the forums. As Cryptic said, it's entirely a server capacity issue...because too many people are playing, the servers don't let any more log on so that those who are online can actually play. The rubberbanding is also a server capacity issue.

No ports need to be forwarded.
    edited January 2010
    No, this is definatly involves the network gremlins at the university unblocking stuff. Any program or port, by default is blocked for security reasons. Champions Online, Star Wars Galaxies and Battlefield 2142 etc all don't work because they are blocked on campus (which happens to be where I live). Something needs unblocking, be it port or otherwise.
    edited January 2010
    If you enable the US proxy, you should be able to get away with 7000-7009+7220-7229+7255+7399, but I can't promise that will always be the case. Our "public port range" is indeed 7000-7500, with things like game servers getting randomly allocated ports in that range (which is needed since we run many hundreds or more per physical machine).
    edited January 2010
    @coderanger

Cheers, I will try this out in the morning and see if the combination of me using the US proxy settings and emailing the network goblins the list of ports works. If not, I am at a loss as to what to do. Why did I choose to stay in halls this year, WHY!?
    edited January 2010
    After a week of trying to figure out ports and only ever getting "Server Failed to Respond", I opened up all of 7000-7500 outbound. Was able to get on in the first attempt afterwards. That's a very large range of ports to expect open on a client side and doesn't match up to other games like LOTRO or WoW, which are in the 20-30 range. But at least I can play now.
    edited January 2010
    Anaxiel wrote:
    For our Wireless routers and what not. I am stuttering In game/ Bouncing around because my client is having a hard time talking to your server. It was non-existent in the Closed Beta... But now that there is more Traffic... It has become an Issue. If you could get back to us on this, It would be greatly appreciated.

Opening ports WILL NOT fix stuttering or bouncing around. If your in the game then your router is forwarding the traffic correctly. You open ports in the router because you are completely blocked, which obviously you aren't.

Now if you couldn't reach the game AT ALL , then yes - might need to address your port forwarding(pinholing) in your router.
    edited January 2010
    Well that's just fantastic...
    My university allows 20 ports (or 10 ranges of 10 ports)
    STO is extremely demanding in asking for that massive range!
    Especially if I want to use anything else, like steam...
    edited January 2010
    how do you enable a proxy when there is no option button?
    BTW, i was told to open the ports :443, 7255, 7003, 7202, 7499 - TCP only., so where is all theese other port numbers comming from?
    edited January 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    If you enable the US proxy, you should be able to get away with 7000-7009+7220-7229+7255+7399, but I can't promise that will always be the case. Our "public port range" is indeed 7000-7500, with things like game servers getting randomly allocated ports in that range (which is needed since we run many hundreds or more per physical machine).

Ok, so using the US proxy settings (I assume it does not make a difference if I live in the UK?) I should request the following ports to be opened;

7000-7009+7220-7229+7255+7399

Is this TCP AND UDP? I need this information if I am going to request them to be opened here.

Cheers for the help so far.

#Edit#

Just got a responce back from tech support at cryptic. Here is a responce.

"The ports that STO uses are TCP: 80, 443, 7003, 7202, 7255 and 7499 You can use this tool to check to see if you are getting network communication on those ports or we have a proxy option that may help you connect. Run the nettest tool a.) Download the tool by clicking this link and save it to your desktop http://files.champions-online.com/nettest.exe b.) Double click the file and let the program run c.) If any of the numbers in the third column come back as 0 KB/sec then the port listed in the second column are being blocked. Check your network monitoring software again to make sure they have an exception for our game. Try the Cryptic Proxy: a.) Start the Champions Online client b.) Enter your username and password c.) Let the game patch if needed d.) Click on the Options button at the top of the launcher screen and change the Proxy drop down to EU or US e.) Click Play! Sincerely, Cryptic Studios Technical Support"

Hope this helps someone.
    edited January 2010
    Hey all ive been having problems with connecting and well keeping that conncetion while playing the game, since install its never run well and is always laggy, with the warning about Concetion to Sever Problem aross my screen while in game all the time, ive run the program which STO said to check the ports on and the only port that seems to be working or gettin any info is the 80 which is only 1kbs, and the 7255, 7003 ports are timing out anyone help me in how i can get this game to work??
  • qf00001qf00001 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've opened the ports that are mentioned in the previous messages:
    80, 443, 7003, 7202, 7255 and 7499 (TCP)

But, the following ports are also needed (to be able to login at the STO Launcer):
    7004, 7399 (TCP).

I'am now able to run the STO launcher .....
    Patching is in progress.

I really was ready to ditch this game until I found this post.

Also after patching the game does not start.
    It needs another port opened:
    port 3478 (TCP)

and a couple of other ports (TCP):

A lot of my free time (2 days) has being dedicated to getting this game to work (from the launcher-problems, patching problem, login/time-out=opening ports in the firewall).

It works after setting the whole range of 7000-7500.