test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Connectivity Issues

I've been having some fairly heavy (over 1000 on Netgraph) lag for the past few days, which isn't exactly shocking given the reports I've been seeing, but today I haven't been able to get in-game at all. I've been trying to play Neverwinter and/or STO, and of about thirty tries to log into each, only one time did I manage to get in (to Neverwinter, if it matters), and when I did, the lag was at about 1600. Mostly, I time out from the login server.

I also have trouble accessing the website, which is very slow and intermittent to connect (it actually ate a previous version of this post), and the Gateway is nearly impossible to get at.

Tracert reveals the usual hangups in Cogentco's molasses-trap network, and I ran Nettest for about half an hour with admin rights. It never got past the second port, it just.. stopped. A few other sites are slow as well.

ISP is Roadrunner cable.

Now, the weird part is, these issues are apparently limited to my gaming rig. My netbook doesn't have any of the same issues, despite having a near-identical Internet configuration. The other computers on the network also load the websites much faster - I'll update the post after I try STO on one of them.

So needless to say, I'm a bit vexed by all this. I've scanned my rig with every diagnostic tool I can think of - the hard drive is fine, Netalyzr checks out, the RAM is fine, it's not overheating - help?
Post edited by juliamateus on

Comments

• Options
    juliamateusjuliamateus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tried it on my office computer on the same network - it looked like Gorn butt warmed over due to the weak graphics card, but the connection was stable. So it looks like it's just this computer that's having a problem - any ideas?
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Things to check...
    • You've scanned the unit for virus/trojans...
    • If your using a wireless connection, have you tried a ethernet cable connection.
    • If your using ethernet, have you tried swapping the cable.
    • Have you tried a file transfer to a computer on your home network. (if this fails, this might indicate a hardware problem)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Haven't tried swapping the cable, I'll do that shortly. Virus scan is clean, and both file transfers and regular downloads from the Net work fine. It's just a few sites that are slow.
  • Options
    xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would call your ISP and see whats up you could have a bad line.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Could, except downloads work fine, and so do all of the other computers on the network. Whatever the problem is, it's something specific to that machine or its connection.

Also, I swapped the cable, no change.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Could, except downloads work fine, and so do all of the other computers on the network. Whatever the problem is, it's something specific to that machine or its connection.

Also, I swapped the cable, no change.
    You might want to check and see if new drivers have been released by the computer/motherboard maker...

A under-performing power supply could also cause strange symptoms like this...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The issues just started a few days ago, it's been using the same PSU for a year now. And it's running the latest drivers.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm this, it's been driving me buggy :P

EDIT: Also, no hardware added in that time. Just to clarify.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Now if you had a spare PCI Ethernet card, or a USB to Ethernet dongle, using that would confirm/rule out failing hardware on the motherboard....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't, but again, most Internet works fine. It's just PWE, Google, and a few other sites. TOR and online Minecraft also work properly.
  • Options
    iamreclusiveiamreclusive Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't, but again, most Internet works fine. It's just PWE, Google, and a few other sites. TOR and online Minecraft also work properly.

NWN connects fine for me, STO just randomly stopped 2 days ago, can't connect.
    NWN today just started giving me a problem many others are having w/ random disconnects.
    idk if there's alot of server maintenance going on lately, what's been changed on their end recently.

Browsing around I see other people w/ the same issues as well, so something is up that has ZERO to do w/ our rigs.