test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Small Fleet Costs Idea

veldrane2kveldrane2k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Has it ever been suggested to balance the costs for small fleets to have a special project which changes the costs of projects but lowers the max fleet size. Once the Fleet size is limited raising it again would be done with projects that scale to Fleet Level.
Post edited by veldrane2k on

Comments

• Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is actually a GREAT idea!

- first "size adjustment" should be free of charge, every other should cost like 100.000 Dill pro 10 slots.
  • Options
    sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is the best idea I've heard all day.
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    veldrane2k wrote: »
    Has it ever been suggested to balance the costs for small fleets to have a special project which changes the costs of projects but lowers the max fleet size. Once the Fleet size is limited raising it again would be done with projects that scale to Fleet Level.

As long as I can get it down-sized to just 1 account in the fleet! ;)

Then when my Fed Ferengi Engineer has opened up her very own Tier 5 Fleet Shipyard, I can have sales on ships! :D
  • Options
    techstepman1techstepman1 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and there you can see why this will never happen.

this will very quickly become an exploit.to get fleet elite gear and ships.and all those who worked hard to get to tier5 will become the unfortunate victims.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

this will very quickly become an exploit.to get fleet elite gear and ships.and all those who worked hard to get to tier5 will become the unfortunate victims.

why? there would be a low-cap at 100 and high cap at 500.

problem solved.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    no way. small fleets should be left to suffer the consequences of their decision to be a small fleet.
    why should your 3 man fleet of alts be able to keep up with 500 dedicated contributors?
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013

How would it an exploit when those same Tier 5 fleets are spamming advertisements, selling those very items?
  • Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think I read mention that they're not planning on scaling anything down below a 25-person fleet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    because we had to earn them
    How would it an exploit when those same Tier 5 fleets are spamming advertisements, selling those very items?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    because we had to earn them

Doesn't seem a valid argument when you are selling those hard-earned items to anyone who wants to spend a couple million EC.

I'm sorry, but it looks more like you want to prevent any movement to curtail your cash cow, while the going is good. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't seem a valid argument when you are selling those hard-earned items to anyone who wants to spend a couple million EC.

I'm sorry, but it looks more like you want to prevent any movement to curtail your cash cow, while the going is good. :rolleyes:

imagine a world where fleets were scaled, say 25 member-minimum:
    the largest fleets meet and discuss the new development. it is decided that the current 500 members will be be divided up into 20 group. 19 new fleets are created, and begin to fill every project leaving them in nonstop cd. meanwhile they fund this by selling t5 store access, raking in hundreds of millions of ec. they are now finding that the 500k fleet-credit gate that allows all members access to the t5 fleet store is causing all the satellite fleets to fill up. another 3 fleets are added, creating a super-fleet with a total of 23 500-person fleets, all enabled by punishing large fleets.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    and what about you? the guy with a million fc and a t3 fleet store. you know you donate heaps more than anybody. you could easily fill that 500k requirement in a super fleet satellite. why bother sticking with a dead-end fleet of lazy non-contributors?

right?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    and what about you? the guy with a million fc and a t3 fleet store. you know you donate heaps more than anybody. you could easily fill that 500k requirement in a super fleet satellite. why bother sticking with a dead-end fleet of lazy non-contributors?

right?

Actually, I have more than just 1 million Fleet Credits. :P

And can't say I'm in a fleet of lazy non-contributers when I am the Fleet. I built up a Tier 3 Federation Starbase and Tier 3-In progress KDF Starbase by myself.

I'm friends to players who built T5 Starbases and I'm a friend to casual players who still have Tier 1 starbase. So I know the ins and outs of both sides.
    imagine a world where fleets were scaled, say 25 member-minimum:
    the largest fleets meet and discuss the new development. it is decided that the current 500 members will be be divided up into 20 group. 19 new fleets are created, and begin to fill every project leaving them in nonstop cd. meanwhile they fund this by selling t5 store access, raking in hundreds of millions of ec. they are now finding that the 500k fleet-credit gate that allows all members access to the t5 fleet store is causing all the satellite fleets to fill up. another 3 fleets are added, creating a super-fleet with a total of 23 500-person fleets, all enabled by punishing large fleets.

Optimistic, but in reality how many 500-person fleets are there in STO?

So having such an idea such as that, Cryptic might as well get rid of player Starbases and create community starbases, where the community works together towards a common goal. Like with Romulans, have them actually build their Space Dock.

However, they are already working on the idea that was propsed by players of a Fleet Alliance system, where you guys ally with a small fleet, you donate your marks and dilithium to earn FC, and that ally fleet simply gets to progress. (Well, that's what the players have proposed).

And depending on the situation, I wouldn't be surprised if you could purposely create a mule fleet and ally with it, then rinse and repeat (donating marks and dilithium to earn Fleet Marks).
  • Options
    milandaremilandare Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I mostly have not followed these fleet envy topics, but then I'm in a wonderfully kind T5 fleet (provisioning like crazy in hopes I'll never get laid off...).

But I was thinking, as I need to run to something else - why doesn't someone totally trustworthy (okay, so a community moderator or a Branflake) rope in a collection of wannabe small fleet owners and have them assemble small fleets and contribute loot together? Sure there'll be some sharing, but you could rotate "leadership" (under the trustworthy guy) to let each sub-fleet design the emblem for a week. Create all your costumes, and the emblem sticks even while others mess with it the following week. When your turn comes around again you can change it up even more!

That solves all the problems I can see with large fleets too, that being the inability to influence the fleet emblem.

Perhaps I should have just run off to that other thing I need to do.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

right?

and what about the new thread you just started? lol!

orions are a wonderful fleet and the community is very nice,

my PVP main is there with more than 1 million donated.

but they themselves see how HARD it is to CONTRIBUTE and are opening a Romulan sister fleet,
    offering new toons to join the new fleet so that they get the opportunity to donate the 200k to access the stores.

small fleets are about friendship, about dedication and perhaps family.

if anything, they should create a SCALING system for projects, with the current numbers to be somewhere in the 300 person range.

PLUS the idea of capping the number of fleet members by leader and extending it only by a dedicated project is genial.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    milandare wrote: »
    I mostly have not followed these fleet envy topics, but then I'm in a wonderfully kind T5 fleet (provisioning like crazy in hopes I'll never get laid off...).

But I was thinking, as I need to run to something else - why doesn't someone totally trustworthy (okay, so a community moderator or a Branflake) rope in a collection of wannabe small fleet owners and have them assemble small fleets and contribute loot together? Sure there'll be some sharing, but you could rotate "leadership" (under the trustworthy guy) to let each sub-fleet design the emblem for a week. Create all your costumes, and the emblem sticks even while others mess with it the following week. When your turn comes around again you can change it up even more!

That solves all the problems I can see with large fleets too, that being the inability to influence the fleet emblem.

Perhaps I should have just run off to that other thing I need to do.

this just does not work. a fleet needs ONE leader and a set of very clear rules.

then, there is the fleet chat and dedication. members of "relatively" small fleets such as i am in (The Trivium) tend to become friends over time and there are communities which then come together in RL too.

some fleets run extra forums where they do plan PVP events, or RP evenings.

Being in such a fleet - you do not wanna invite just some guy who is willing to contribute and will spam your chat dead.
  • Options
    milandaremilandare Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    this just does not work. a fleet needs ONE leader and a set of very clear rules.

Oxymoron. Or perhaps my suggestion to delegate the singular task of modifying the fleet emblem could truly be a recipe for catastrophic failure.

Rules and communication channels are implicit or implied in every fleet. I've even heard of claims of successful fleets not using pre-nups!
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This would be exploited. Imagine a group of 20 players. 10 of them create a new fleet and lower the costs in a way you suggested to match a 10 player fleet. This doesn't keep the other 10 from contributing to the projects through actual fleet members. After having reached the maximum level the fleet size would be increased again to allow for the other 10 players to join.

It would be exploited for sure.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    How do you see this working? As an example, a fleet of 500 now decides to downsize to 50 to finish the last couple of tiers. How does this system decide who to remove from the roster?
    What about those people getting booted who had contributed to the fleet?

TBH, I don't see this happening.

My thought was for a reasonable cost to lower the fleet's size, something 1 or a few characters can achieve. The costs for projects get reduced at this point relative to the current size of the fleet. If the fleet chooses to increase the size again, the cost would scale based on everything unlocked by the fleet: tiers, officers, special projects, etc. This would scale the costs such that it would cost more to increase the cap than it would have to gain the unlocks normally.
    szim wrote: »
    This would be exploited. Imagine a group of 20 players. 10 of them create a new fleet and lower the costs in a way you suggested to match a 10 player fleet. This doesn't keep the other 10 from contributing to the projects through actual fleet members. After having reached the maximum level the fleet size would be increased again to allow for the other 10 players to join.

It would be exploited for sure.

You mean by trading everything but Dilithium to a fleet member to donate? Well the costs to raise the cap would scale with the amount of features unlocked, which include dilithium and maybe fleet credits or embassy provisions.

In the same vein, 9 players could do this and rotated the 10th slot without increasing the cap. Perhaps for a smaller fleets a limited invite system could be implemeted. It would add a cost to each player joined based on the size, the smaller the fleet, the higher the cost. Perhaps enough that simply offering access would be a more personal consideration.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This wasn't what I had asked in my previous post. How does this system determine what player to remove from the roster when downsizing?

Why would a fleet try to downsize below the current roster size?
  • Options
    kryptonianbadboykryptonianbadboy Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An Alliance Based Fleet sharing system would work better. Large fleets and small fleets working together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Check out "Welcome to the 77th" in the foundry!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Any number of reasons. They're at T4 and don't want to spend the enormous resources to get to Tier 5. So they downsize for the cheaper costs.

How does the proposed change determine who gets booted from the fleet roster in this case?

I hate to say it but that sound like trying to exploit the system. In any case, one of the requirement of downsizing would having the room to downsize, similar to how the File Commendation Reports Assignment requires 110000 CXP before it can be used to prevent you from going below 100000 CXP. In your example, kick fleet members so you can downsize. Or tell your fleet members to step up and contribute.
  • Options
    kryptonianbadboykryptonianbadboy Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And this is why the proposed idea will never get implemented. It's way too easily exploited/abused.

I agree with you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Check out "Welcome to the 77th" in the foundry!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And this is why the proposed idea will never get implemented. It's way too easily exploited/abused.

no!

they would hardcap the smallest fleet at 100 players.
    done.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No. Do not scale anything. If your fleet cannot fill projects, it should be forced to either expand or abandon those projects. No compromises on this issue.