Options

Official Legacy of Romulus 'From the Ashes' Arc Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    tyr4444tyr4444 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Virinat:

1.The artwork is very nice!
    2. The shooting gallery was a fun little extra.
    3. Cut scenes are very pretty but hard to read. The voice overs will fix this I'm sure.
    4. I'm a TOS ship fan, so thank you very much for the cool reveal cut scene with the warbird!

Helix:

1. Got the same weird zoom in then out when entering all the space maps.

Turning Point:

1. I'm really liking the new door animations for Klingons and Romulans!

Overall the first arc flows very nicely and I enjoy picking up bridge officers that you care a little about. The big decision over allies seems to be one sided. The Klingons are jerks, but they always are so you expect it. I felt that the Federation was worse than the Klingons in the mission. I made two toons so I could go Fed with one and Klingon with the other just to see the difference, but if I only had one toon I'd go with the Klingons after talking to both sides.

Thanks for letting try out the cool new stuff!
    Lt. jg. Magnus Bjornson
    Engineering/Alpha Squad
    12th Fleet
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Here's my feedback for the tutorial through Neutral No More:

As other people have said, some of the starting cutscenes are too fast for the text. This is well known.

I feel that the choice to skip to the next part of the tutorial after the first day isn't clear enough. It should be made more clear that you're leaving, maybe with a confirmation like (are you sure you want to move to the next part of the story?).

The time you spend on the first day doesn't do enough to make you feel like part of the town, I thought. It was mostly just you running errands. While I understand that makes sense for the tutorial I think for the story it could be made to make you feel more like part of the community. Maybe you could have one or two more NPCs come say Hi and talk to you or something. Perhaps have an NPC come up to you "Hey <player>, here's that bottle of Romulan Ale I borrowed from you last week. My wife loved it and it was a perfect touch to our anniversary." <player receives a bottle of romulan ale>

Just little things to add to the atmosphere. It feels too much (at this point) like you're dropped in and just starting to get to know things when it all gets taken away.

Also I felt the story was a bit too "convenient" in places. Like oh surprise the Tal Shiar is here and then oh conveniently the Romulan Republic forces show up out of nowhere. Maybe during the attack you could have the player activate a distress call? Then the RR ship could show up and say "Hey <player>, we got your distress call, we'll help you fight the Tal Shiar." At this point they just seem to conveniently show up and then you side with them. It would feel more like they were saving you if you called for help.

When you are on Dewa 3 and scanning things, I think the path to travel in is slightly unclear; it should be made a little more noticeable on the minimap.

Not sure if it's still in the same arc, but during Crateris I attacked and killed the Sloggoth Cruiser that was coming in to take away the Remans. Unfortunately nothing happened because of it. The Sloggoth should be either unkillable or save the Remans if you destroy it before it gets away.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Also I felt the story was a bit too "convenient" in places. Like oh surprise the Tal Shiar is here and then oh conveniently the Romulan Republic forces show up out of nowhere. Maybe during the attack you could have the player activate a distress call? Then the RR ship could show up and say "Hey <player>, we got your distress call, we'll help you fight the Tal Shiar." At this point they just seem to conveniently show up and then you side with them. It would feel more like they were saving you if you called for help.

It was your character that sent out the distress signal while on Virinat's surface, remember the bit where you take the batteries out of the marketplace camera and use them to power the console? That's you sending out the distress signal to which the Republic ship responds.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    shariala wrote: »
    Thanks fr breaking that down for me. :^D lol I've been sitting on the bottom of Tier two Roomnie rep for a while, focusing on other things instead, so i had no yet seen that. Still even for something you'd be fighting at VA that is a little harsh, unless you're running at elite difficulty...
    That's running at normal difficulty.
    My Sci char tried that at Advanced (not even Elite). She would rack up so many injuries, I didn't have enough regenerators for her and all her boffs. She would die probably 10 times by the end of that one, after which I'd still have over a dozen injuries. I ended up having to lower the difficulty so I could do the Rom missions in a reasonable time (cut The Warehouse mission time in half). All the PvE missions in the game don't prepare you for those.

If you've done Tier 2, then you should have done the Mountain Pass. That was also somewhat difficult (the last battle), but still passable on Normal. I would say the next one is at least 5x harder.

But that also could be my lack of experience/skill.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    tom40stom40s Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you need to keep reinstating bridge officers into slots in order to get their space abilities.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the ship tailor on New Romulus Command is wrongly placed. He stands on a side walk balcony on a desk. Looks likes he want to be on high places. Nevertheless you have to make a walk to get at him. Place him near the officer that lets you select your ship.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Don't know if I say it in the right way. In the Doff UI you can assign your bridge officer to their respective departments. This is not possible on Tribble right now.
  • Options
    caocaopuffcaocaopuff Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sorry if its already been mentioned, but if you choose KDF ally your warp out color and transporter switch to KDF animation and colors. Not sure if it's on purpose or not..
  • Options
    blagormblagorm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I love it but some of the text seems weak... like here:

The Helix: And trust me. You don't want that kind trouble. You'd be better off with the threat only.

But all in and all out I see many texts that lack interest and story... everyone sounds like they are going to die and they talk nervously. Try to make dialog more strong.

Tutorial: When the torpedo hits and your character flails, you are like 5 feet away from the person talking to you.. so mostly he was talking to the ground... took much away from story.
    R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    delta12998delta12998 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    during the mission "Neutral no more" for the Romulan-Klingons is broken.

It says im suppose to defeat nausicaan pirates, when they show up as friendlies

I am confused
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have now played up to the mission "The Search For New Romulus". I've really enjoyed the storyline, it certainly feels like Star Trek. A lot of Romulan NPCs are using Starfleet rifles in the tutorial and in the cutscenes, but I assume that will be fixed soon.

There are three things that I have noticed though. First, Romulan D'deridex Warships are destroyed far too easily. One heavy plasma torpedo though the shields and it's gone. They also don't pack much of a punch against players.

My second concern is the Tholian commander in the mission "The Search for New Romulus" needs to have his fire attack toned down (and science captains need to be given a better kit). When he pops that it's either a oneshot, or you die two seconds later. I consider myself quite good at ground, and I died two times as a science captain due to his fire attack. The third time I sent my bridge officers to distract him while I sniped him at range with a sniper rifle. Keeping him at least 34 meters away from me. A new player wouldn't know to do that.

Lastly, science captains are given the sonic pulse kit in the mission "Gasko Blues". Sonic Pulse is great at higher levels, but this kit has so few uses at low levels as a standalone ability. Against tholians it's utterly useless unless you also have Electro Gravitic Field to disable them. For a new player with poor gear I would rather have the medical tricorder kit. It would be very nice to see science captains to gain the medical tricorder kit during "Gasko Blues" rather than the useless Sonic Pulse.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    borkeshborkesh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am realy enjoying legacy of romulus story missions so far. Only thing I have noticed that may be a bug but dont know if anyone has pointed out yet is rewards for some missions are not scaleing to lvl like story missions for other factions have in the past . And some of the tailor options are bugged such as klingon romulan jacket showing strips of bare skin where it should be solid and tal shiar uniform is a big grey blob when I try to use it.
  • Options
    unclespankyunclespanky Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As others have mentioned, Romulan/Klingon players seem to have some trouble starting this one. I tried to skip ahead and took the "Manhunt" mission, but unable to travel to KDF space to complete it. The mission is rated for lvl 10, so either the rating should be fixed, or the restriction should be lifted.

I made my character extra large and the clothing doesn't cover properly, especially in the "Brawler" stance. I'm hoping that "Klingon scowl" is something we can opt out of in the future.

The environments you guys have created are awesome and I was really happy to see a Suliban tie-in. I would like to be able to relocate the bridge officer comment boxes (as a part of the HUD layout) but that is a feature I really like. For too long, the bridge officers have been a mostly inert part of the game. I like that they are more a part of it and chime in comments periodically.

ThanX for the beta invite, I've been loving it!
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As I am sure has been reported before, playing a KDF Romulan, I can not play through Neutral no More as the pirates are listed a allies, being Nausicans (sp?).

I did not notice a klingon scowl though.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Same as many others, my KDF affiliated Romulan can't get past the Nausicaan in Beta Thoridor in "Neutral no more" (sent a bug report 38614).

Also, which may be due to the "unfinished state": In the cutscene where I beam for the first time in the Romulan Flotilla, all the people (including my toon) are halfway sunk in the floor. :P But just for the duration of that short animation of beaming in.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I also played manhunt, and I could transwarp there easily, in an effort to get the up a level and skip over neutral no more, but I can't drop neutral no more it seems. So doubally stuck.

Also, why am I able to play Manhunt, which is a KDF mission? I mean yeah, allies and such, but all my bridge officers turn KDF and when my ship turns up to fire at the guards a the end, its a Klingon Bird of Brey. I mean, what the frak?

Yeah, I know this isn't a finished missions, but really if you're going to allow Romulan's to play it, you shouldn't put a klingon ship up in the sky. Also, I played this mission on a Klingon lvl 50 character and got the same bird of prey in the sky when my character has a destroyer. Yes, the Bird of Prey looks very cool and all, but if its not the characters ship, maybe it would be best to leave it out. Maybe some sort of if then in the code, like:

If Character ship = KDF BoP
    Show KDF BoP firing on ground and in sky.
    If not
    Show photon torpedo being fired from orbit and no ship in sky.

Simple, right?
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ok, I got to test for most of last week....

First, very nice jobs on all the animations. The colony was beautiful.
    Also, and this is my favorite so far, when Romulan ships get destroyed, the implode into a singularity... that was simply fabulous.

Now, I did notice some typos in the dialogue on the colony. Nothing really earth shattering, just some wrong references, like calling the master of a Romulan warship a captain instead of commander. Things like that.

The character generator, was nice, but the interface seems a little dark, much darker to the tailor, and a number of the pre-setup options do not either are not showing correctly on the character model, or appear to be a number that look the same.

The tailor, was nice and easy to use, but i couldn't change the costumes of my bridge officers, and I also noticed that after purchasing a costume change, I had to save it. Is this going to be standard for all factions?

I read that some people are reporting that the chat window keeps disappearing... well I'm having the complete opposite affect. I play with the chat window minimized, constantly. Every time I transitioned to a new map, or had a NPC (minus BOFFs) dialogue, the chat windows pops back up.

Got to I think level 10 or so, and didn't have a chance to test DOFFs. But something else I rather liked... was how we got our BOFFs. Instead of just getting a message that someone new was ready to join the crew, you go to interact with them during the mission. And they had some story behind them.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If you've engaged your cloaking device prior to scanning the Cardassian ship in the mission "Bigger Picture", during the new cutscene when you beam aboard, your character will also appear cloaked as well.
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really hope that when LOR launches in a few weeks that we have more control over which BOffs are part of our crew and what they look like. I don't want to be "stuck" with any BOffs who look identical to all the other Romulan players' BOffs.

It's okay to be stuck with certain BOffs early on (say up to Tier 2) but then the player should have full control like we do when playing as FED or KDF. If I want an all male, all female, all Reman, or whatever group of BOffs then I should have that option ... as well as the option to make them all wear Romulan uniforms from TOS or TNG.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Rerunning a few missions to help me bridge the gap to lvl 30. Found a slight issue in sleepers that was not there beforehand.
    The issue is NPC/Boff pathing. For some reason, on the borg cube, all NPC's seem to have a problem when going through doorways etc. All my boffs kept getting caught up on the alcoves, and at one point, were stuck in the walls.
    Does not seem to be an issue I have seen on other LOR maps....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    nrnarnonnrnarnon Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One thing I do want to say is that the new expansion is great. The only problem I have is that when I change maps in space, my bridge officers decide to take a break and I have to put them back in their slots. This needs to be looked at before the open beta.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So, after the last patch, I got my KDF Rom to play through neutral no more. I got thought the missions, but I noticed that at one point my ship had the KDF red warp trails, and at another point, can't remember if it was in the mission or just getting on a map, like Romulan foltilia, I had the KDF transporter effect and sound.

Also, Tovar (sp?, the first romulan BOFF you pick up) called me during the mission when I was on the ground and while the writing said it was him, I think he got TRIBBLE since the guy on the screen (I think it was a guy) was some alien in the KDF uniform. Damn exchange officers. Also think it was TRIBBLE since Tovar was on the ground with me at the time. The was one of the first communications from the ship. Other than that, things seemed to go well with this mission.

I'm okay with the singularity core changes as well. At first I didn't think I would be, but now I see that it seems to work out all right. I'm usually able to get to a level five at least once in a fight, thought there is the tempation to use it sooner.

Also, echoing the problems with the boffs goign away at ever map change. Usually I just have to swap one and the rest pop back, so its not a full replace, but seems more of a display issue with the powers.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    thedoctor0889thedoctor0889 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neutral No More- When I acquired the mission I was told to go to the flotilla to acquire a centurion level ship but I am currently at subcommander, so I had to pick up a centurion level ship. Is this a bug with the mission or a bug with the ranking?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited May 2013
    I would say it is a artifact of the mission reordering.
  • Options
    ask4spock1ask4spock1 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    During the security holodeck scene when my alt fires the gun at the girl the beam shoots from the hip NOT the gun
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hadn't paid any mind to the "News of the World" console until today's patch. While I like the details of the news broadcast, it expressed a single discrepancy. We hear news of the Borg invasion of the Federation colony world of Vega. With comments from wandering NPC's about this event. Yet, the opening cutscene clearly established these Romulan tutorial events to be two weeks prior to the Borg invasion of Vega Colony.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    psiameese wrote: »
    I hadn't paid any mind to the "News of the World" console until today's patch. While I like the details of the news broadcast, it expressed a single discrepancy. We hear news of the Borg invasion of the Federation colony world of Vega. With comments from wandering NPC's about this event. Yet, the opening cutscene clearly established these Romulan tutorial events to be two weeks prior to the Borg invasion of Vega Colony.

I'd have thought a better place to have the "News of the World" console would be on New Romulus, in the command center. By that stage more than a couple of weeks would've passed. However if it must be present before that, then the flotilla would be the next logical place to put it.
  • Options
    caocaopuffcaocaopuff Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not super relevant, but it made me laugh. On "Search for New Romulus" I scanned a radiation cloud and got a Superior Radiation Report. On my fed and KDF guys I only get regular ones, and I thought to myself. "Well.. I'm a Romulan. Of course it's superior."
  • Options
    rotflmamarotflmama Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love it! It feels like a whole new game. It is very well written and the only tutorial that I wish I could go back and replay or visit the colony!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    D'Ral; Keeper of Lore, should probably look a lot older to match her new voiceover. I know Romulans, like Vulcans, can live a long time without much change to their physical appearance, but she looks way too young for the voice given to her.