test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

40 second Romulan cloak??

neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
I think 40 seconds is a tad much, even with the traits, my KDF character can cloak faster.

I understand before it was ridiculous with 5 seconds and all, but now it's kinda pointless to have the trait other than then to just play catch up with the KDF, and FED ships that have cloak and 20.

I just want to know why a trait meant for a cool down just had the cooldown raised where one now needs the trait just to get it down to the original level to match the other ships 20 seconds.?

Anyway ideas please.

P.S I don't want to hear about canon and how Romulans gave the cloak to the FED, and KDF. Just keep it about the game thanks :)
GwaoHAD.png
Post edited by neoakiraii on

Comments

• ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hate seeing base line skills balanced around "optional" traits. To me the trait should be the one being balanced, not the cloak.

KDF and Fed cloaks are 20 seconds, that should be what all cloaks are across the boards. Don't penalize Romulans, who have been bragged up by Cryptic to be the superior cloakers in STO, because you gave them a trait that made baseline cloaks unbalanced.

What if I don't want to take the trait. What if I want all Fed/KDF BOffs and not use Romulan BOffs? Now somehow I have a sub-par cloak simply because I didn't take the traits and BOffs?

Now that said, 5 second cloaks were WAY overboard.

Simple fix... move the battle cloak back to 20 seconds.
    Make the Players trait remove 5 seconds from the cloak.
    Make each BOff slotted on a ship console remove .5 seconds from the cloak(rounded down)

That makes the battle cloak recharge 20 seconds unmodified (equal to all other races) and max modified 13 seconds. If it needs balancing still, readjuct the player trait so it becomes a modified max 15 seconds.

The other option I see is make the player trait a 2 or 3 second reduction in battle cloak, then each BOff a 1 second reduction, hardcapped at 15 seconds.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    I hate seeing base line skills balanced around "optional" traits.

Entirely too much of the game is handled that way - traits, gear, etc, etc, etc. It's very frustrating at times and leads to the majority of problems, imho.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather they just not let boff traits stack with each other then nerf romulan cloak. I don't want to have to run a full bridge of Romulans to get optimal cloak... I want to pick and customize my crew without being penalized inadvertently.

So the only advantage Romulans may have over klingons etc is the captain traits.

Honestly letting boff traits stack ever was kinda a mistake.
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously, I have to have all my stations crewed with cloak CD boffs just to get anywhere near Fed/Kdf levels, bad move Cryptic, really low. You are starting to show your colors again, don't punk out on us.
  • neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    40 is ridiculous. 30 wouldn't be too bad, but 40 is just a little nuts, pretty much ruins the cloak.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    40 second cloak? That's a bit much.

I can understand needing to keep it balanced. But if that's the case, then balance the BOFFs, not the ability. The BOFFs are the issue here, not the actual cloak.

That's far too large a hit for Romulan players, and will still let Klingon and Fed players cloak faster.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ye it would be good if a dev would come here and say why it was changed and what's the aim of the change. Because the experience with Cryptic tells me, that KDF and FED cloaks are going to be nerfed as well :P
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually if KDF and Fed cloaks are nerfed as well, and nerfed equally, at least it becomes balanced in the fact that the baseline holds true, and the Romulan traits make it how it is now. I could live with that.

But they could have nerfed that with this patch, and saved them alot of concertation among their player base.
  • chi1701dchi1701d Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Actually if KDF and Fed cloaks are nerfed as well, and nerfed equally, at least it becomes balanced in the fact that the baseline holds true, and the Romulan traits make it how it is now. I could live with that.

But they could have nerfed that with this patch, and saved them alot of concertation among their player base.

Dont forget, Federation cloaks use up console slots and are not part of the given ship unlike KDF and Romulan.
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With a 40 second CD there is not even a real need for battle cloaks.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry, Devs, but that idea was stupid. What's the point of a battle cloak with 40 seconds cooldown? You will be able to kill 90% of enemy mobs before you are able to recloak and in the cases where you are not it's probably smarter not to lower your shields.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • archoncrypticarchoncryptic Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just a heads up, I've responded about this issue here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9583681&postcount=665

As always, these things are subject to possible change in the future. Thanks for your feedback.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We may end up reverting to the 40 base power that all Warbirds used to have and giving the Romulans a globally superior cloak, or we might end up balancing these things in other ways.

what are the possibilities here:

- 40 base power
    - lowering the hull
    - lowering the shield modifier
    - minus 1 console or device slot
    - minus 1 BOFF ability

i would go with the 40 base power or the lower hull stats.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    what are the possibilities here:

- 40 base power
    - lowering the hull
    - lowering the shield modifier
    - minus 1 console or device slot
    - minus 1 BOFF ability

i would go with the 40 base power or the lower hull stats.

I'd say the lower hull and shields, and possibly the lower power would all be good choices. I dunno if console loss or device slot loss would really matter. People are usually ok with a couple devices already, and I don't think very many would be happy with only 8 consoles compared to the normal 9 on most end-game ships.

A long time ago, someone, or a group of folks decided that Klingon ships with in-built cloaks needed to have lower shield and hull modifiers, as a counter-balance because they had those cloaks at all.

As such, I still feel that works well. BoPs gave up quite a bit of the hull and shields to become the most agile ships in the game along with their own BCs.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • deusemperordeusemperor Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and I don't think very many would be happy with only 8 consoles compared to the normal 9 on most end-game ships.

Agree full heartily. Its become standard you have 9 console slots and get 10 with fleet versions to change that now would hinder the Romulan faction probably. I mean I constantly wish I had 11+ console slots for all the toy consoles you guys release! To have my romulan warbird have less would be annoying to say the least.
    40 base power or lowering the hull

40 Base power was interesting, and made me pay attention to warp core efficiency and potential more than I do on fed or kdf. Lets leave it at the 45 value though for now and see how that goes. Less hull would mean a turn rate buff... At least that's been cryptic's balance stance if you have a lot of hull you lose turn rate which would make it less painful not to have battlecloak every 20 seconds.

Still doubling the cooldown usually isn't a good step since it seems you go from one extreme to another. You should use this as a testing period to see how that goes, but most people would be happier if the battle cloak cooldown was down to 30 seconds instead. Compromise so to speak. Maybe reduce the effectiveness of the cooldown reduction on the cloak from traits of boffs and captains. Give battlecloak a global cooldown aka hardcap of 12 or 15 seconds for example.

With 30 second cooldown but being able to be reduced to the global of 15 seconds would be in line with other abilities like using tactical team has a cooldown of 30 seconds then if you double or use cooldown reduction doffs it can have 15 seconds global.

I think the above is the best option since there is precedence for it from other abilities in game, and it's the best option since it also balanced and too far extreme. Best bet 30 second cooldown with 15 second global aka hardcap. :cool:

(Note: This has been written past 2 am my time so if there are stuff that don't make sense I blame being tired.)
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd always seen people talking about how the cloak frequency is to be used to combat the incredibly poor turn rate of ships like the D'Deridex and Ha'apax.

Now we're getting really poorly maneuverable ships with delayed cloaking and still reduced power levels.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd always seen people talking about how the cloak frequency is to be used to combat the incredibly poor turn rate of ships like the D'Deridex and Ha'apax.

Now we're getting really poorly maneuverable ships with delayed cloaking and still reduced power levels.

On the other hand, I saw this one coming. The reason the BoP, the only ship type with BC so far (except the 1000-day ship, which I have no idea about), has such a small hull is because its cloaking capabilities could easily allow for a player to move in, fire, and decloak, with little or no risk at all.

That being said, since you can still stuff MES onto your ships, such attacks aren't doomed yet. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I'd say the lower hull and shields, and possibly the lower power would all be good choices. I dunno if console loss or device slot loss would really matter. People are usually ok with a couple devices already, and I don't think very many would be happy with only 8 consoles compared to the normal 9 on most end-game ships.

A long time ago, someone, or a group of folks decided that Klingon ships with in-built cloaks needed to have lower shield and hull modifiers, as a counter-balance because they had those cloaks at all.

As such, I still feel that works well. BoPs gave up quite a bit of the hull and shields to become the most agile ships in the game along with their own BCs.

Right, but try being "agile" in a D'Deridex...
  • obertheromulanobertheromulan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well to be honest, I now I think I rather have a ship with better base stats than the quick battlecloak, because chances are I won't have to recloak that quickly anyway.
    But I still think that's better achieved through reduction of the Romulan Boff bonus instead of the base cloak time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather they just not let boff traits stack with each other then nerf romulan cloak. I don't want to have to run a full bridge of Romulans to get optimal cloak... I want to pick and customize my crew without being penalized inadvertently.

So the only advantage Romulans may have over klingons etc is the captain traits.

Honestly letting boff traits stack ever was kinda a mistake.

Wait... they're incentivizing an all Romulan bridge crew? This is an idea I like.
  • kasandarokasandaro Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jermbot wrote: »
    Wait... they're incentivizing an all Romulan bridge crew? This is an idea I like.

Pretty much. (Do Remans get R. Operative? I know they get Subterfuge. Beauty is the Romulan BOff I found with ROp and Sub.)

I would much rather they kept the KBC and RBC in step, with the Romulan "tech mastery" being the potency bonus, and reduce the ROpp traits - let them still stack (to encourage a
    Romulan/Reman crew), but reduce the current 5/10/15% to 3/5/7% or thereabouts.

If they tamper with the power levels too to give the shorter timer back, that's acceptable. It just means that the Warp Core skills are now must-buys. (Not that they weren't, before.)
  • saiwotsaiwot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I know.....:rolleyes:

And I have to agree with others too.

Instead of making the ship cloak less effective why not make the racial trait less effective. I don't understand why they give Romulans an advantage with cloaking just to turn around and make it so they have little to no advantage at all by nerfing the cloak on their ships.
    Now Romulan players will be penalized for not having this trait on themselves or the BOFFs. This "fix" forces the player to take the racial trait and use all Romulans with the racial trait to compensate for the reduced ability of the Romulan Cloak.

Why not reduce the effect of the racial trait, make it so that it does not stack, or give the trait diminishing returns. Then leave the cloak as it is for all other cloaks in game, so the player without these traits are no worse or better off than any other faction's ship with a cloak.

Set a base minimum allowed.
    (How long should it take a Romulan ship to cloak with all possible advantages)
    Then work from their to.
    (With no advantages a Romulan ship takes 20 seconds like all others to cloak)
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the general sentiment.

If the issue is the interaction of BOFFs + Cloaking, then adjust the BOFFs and not base cloaking.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally, if the options are 40 base power or 40 second cloak, I'll take the 40 second cloak.

With the right boff loadout you can still get the cloak CD down (if my back of post-it math is correct) below the original 20 second timepoint.
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This nerf made flying a D'deridex or Ha'apax pointless the cloak is the only means that makes this whales usable unless you like being a giant target.

With this nerf im going back to the holodeck until its fixed and if they dont fix this nerf and it goes live i wont even bother making a romulan hell i may check out some other games to play.

bad idea nerfing the cloaks real bad idea
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited May 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I can understand needing to keep it balanced. But if that's the case, then balance the BOFFs, not the ability. The BOFFs are the issue here, not the actual cloak.

I absolutely second this and what others said. The problem are the optional buffing traits of BOffs etc., not the baseline ability/recharge to cloak.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why not an actual Boff skill: Emergency Power to Cloak? The higher the rank the skill the more time is removed from the 40 seconds? Ensign rank: 5 seconds, Lieutenant rank: 10 seconds, Lt. Cmdr rank: 15 seconds, and Commander rank: 20 seconds.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There really doesn't need to be a 5th power in on the EPtX cooldown cluster****.
  • je11yfishje11yfish Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just a heads up, I've responded about this issue here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9583681&postcount=665

As always, these things are subject to possible change in the future. Thanks for your feedback.

Here is another approach:

Singularity becomes *detrimental* if it reaches max charge and goes unused for too long. It could apply a radiation DoT, or an AUX power drain, something along those lines (like overheating in EVE)
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There really doesn't need to be a 5th power in on the EPtX cooldown cluster****.
    So you can call it Aux to Cloak. There's lot of ways to simply make it a Boff skill.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.