Install Arc
Options

Caitian Mane

2»

Comments

• Options
    salenferretsalenferret Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'll admit that I do like the fact that we've FINALLY got some fluffy fur to occupy that old caitian scalp, but yeah, I'd be totally down for the M'Ress style mane. Just make it part of the TOS set, and I'd spend my Zen on it in a heartbeat. I'd also settle for an ST:TAS pack as well, since The Animated Series had some pretty neat stuff that would be nice to see in-game.

Come on, Edosian crewmembers would be awesome.
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 785 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I still think that they could implement a temporary solution of letting Caitians and Ferasans use all the other existing hairstyles in this game, until this fabled "new hair tech" comes along.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'll admit that I do like the fact that we've FINALLY got some fluffy fur to occupy that old caitian scalp, but yeah, I'd be totally down for the M'Ress style mane. Just make it part of the TOS set, and I'd spend my Zen on it in a heartbeat. I'd also settle for an ST:TAS pack as well, since The Animated Series had some pretty neat stuff that would be nice to see in-game.

Come on, Edosian crewmembers would be awesome.

I know right?!?! I've been asking for that stuff for so long! :(With canon out the window, hey why not?
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I know right?!?! I've been asking for that stuff for so long! :(With canon out the window, hey why not?

Beacuse Cryptic only has a license for the shows and movies, not the animated stuff.
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 785 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    That or they just plain don't want to do it.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Beacuse Cryptic only has a license for the shows and movies, not the animated stuff.

The animated stuff counts as a show. -_-

They don't have licenses to the stuff that was created by other people however, hence the Ferasans.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The animated stuff counts as a show. -_-

They don't have licenses to the stuff that was created by other people however, hence the Ferasans.

Whether it counts as show or not is not actually the issue.
    Whether they have a license or not is and Dstahl said the reason they could use the Caitians is because they were also used outside TAS.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3016658&postcount=38
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Whether it counts as show or not is not actually the issue.
    Whether they have a license or not is and Dstahl said the reason they could use the Caitians is because they were also used outside TAS.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3016658&postcount=38

The Kzinti were tied to Larry Niven, not Star Trek. If they wanted to put stuff from TAS in they easily could. But people aren't familiar with it, so they think it wouldn't sell. :(
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The Kzinti were tied to Larry Niven, not Star Trek. If they wanted to put stuff from TAS in they easily could. But people aren't familiar with it, so they think it wouldn't sell. :(

I'm sorry but I fear I can't get my point across.
    There is a sentence in brackets that I'm actually referring to since this is about Caitians and not about the Kzinti.
    It's this:
    "We were able to use the Caitians as they appeared outside of the animated series"

in other words had they only appeeared in TAS they could not have used them.
    What does that tell us about Cryptic's license?
  • Options
    goldendharmnygoldendharmny Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Me want Main on my Kitty Cat...
    "Of course you know, this means war!" Bugs Bunny
  • Options
    supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Also, one thing that I thought would be nice for the Caitians/Ferasans is having a barefoot costume option. M'Ress, for example. I don't know how canon Caitians/Ferasans would usually wear based on uniform (Animated Series canon?). Also, you'd think they'd have feet like the typical feline anthro (which essentially is what the Caitians/Ferasans are) that are shaped like the hindfeet of canines/felines. I'm not gonna ramble about the minor details...but in general, I'd like to see such an add-on sometime, just to give Caitians/Ferasans a more attractive/canon feel.

Yeah, my furry side was a bit shocked when I used AGT boots on my BOFF to find that her legs are humanoid.

So, I bio'd that her mom bred with a human. Genius.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, my furry side was a bit shocked when I used AGT boots on my BOFF to find that her legs are humanoid.

So, I bio'd that her mom bred with a human. Genius.

Here's the reason the feet are they way they are:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=3383168&highlight=plantigrade#post3383168

(yeah, I know it's old)
  • Options
    elvnswordselvnswords Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    *Ahem*

You don't need to be a furry to appreciate good Sci-Fi, and the Ferasan and Caitian
    are based of the Kzinti (both offshoots of that race actually), from Larry Niven's wonderful short story, The Warriors, a Kzin plays a major role in Ringworld largely thought to be a base conceptual idea behind another famous video game, called Halo.

Kzinti are a part of our Sci-Fi heritage, and made part of the Canon to Star Trek when Larry Niven wrote for the Star Trek Animated Series. Since then a few things have cropped up for the Kzinti in Star Trek's universe but the major info is from Star Trek Online. They are also seen in Star Trek IV the voyage home, as Caitian

Kzinti split into two races, the genetically enhanced Ferasan who took over the home world, and the Caitian who remained as close to Kzin as possible but moved offworld, becoming genetically diverse from Ferasans, and given they're new worlds lower gravity, physically weaker in some respects.

Both species still have the occasional throwback born, who is for all intents Kzin, males tend to be psionically gifted, and physically strong but prone to mood swings, females tend to be physically smaller, however they are the leaders in Kzin society for both the Caitian and Ferasan races.

*Breath*

Now, you have been slightly educated as all Star Fleet personnel should be on the intricacies of a valued ally. I do hope we can put these "Furry" slurs to the wayside.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    elvnswords wrote: »
    Now, you have been slightly educated as all Star Fleet personnel should be on the intricacies of a valued ally. I do hope we can put these "Furry" slurs to the wayside.

Nobody said anything about slurs.....

...You are apparently saying all kinds of things.... :P:D
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ...and given it's all basically fanfic it's rather amusing to tell us "history" some random fan invented and then tell us we're now "educated".
  • Options
    kiarasenakiarasena Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    velktra wrote: »
    but it's their game; they can do whatever they want.

Hence why tons of things go wrong with their updates, etc.. or why stuff like the Caitian hair we currently have looks ugly..
  • Options
    cherojcheroj Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cait is the original Caitian Homeworld. Ferasa and Ferasans are both entirely non-canon. Ferasans were added to the game because CBS forbade the use of the Kzinti name or species, which incidentally is also a non-canon species.
  • Options
    darklordderpydarklordderpy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How would giving hair to the caitians be copyright violation? that makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I honestly don't understand some of the imposed character customization option limitations, no decent hairstyles for Catian females, no facial hair for Romulan males, hairstyles for Klingons that seem to re-enforce the impression that they never bath.
    Some things I could understand, like reptiles not getting hair, but most of the warm blooded humanoids could do with a wider more generic spectrum of hair choices.
    Hell our new poster girl, the Romulan girl, has a hair style that cant be reproduced.
    I understand the limitations of rendering and animating hair realistically, but there are already a number of perfectly acceptable hair styles in game that could be used by Catians yet only a narrow range of humanoids or custom alien females can use them.
    I won't go so far as to refer to M'ress' hairdo as a mane, since a mane covers the head, neck and shoulders of an animal not just the head which would not be a good look on a female.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC